Paul Scholes | 2012/13 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maajid

Formerly Mad
Speaking of teams of yore, came across this recently. Blessed are we that he has played for us. What a player.

Ash_G

Don't we play them in a friendly in pre season? Not gonna lie but I wouldn't mind if scholes played a half if not the whole game with them. Would be fun to see.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Interesting he picked Iniesta, he's my favorite Barca player as well, and Scholes is my favorite player. Yet Xavi is much more like Scholes than Iniesta, perhaps Scholes admires what he can't do more than what he can!

Gazza

Are there any more compilations of Scholes from years back?

There's a few from a user called Zouzinho on youtube

Also a good one of the Barca away leg in the CL semi of 2008 - I never realized how much defensive work he got through that night. Lots of valuable interceptions that are forgotten about when people just talk about his reckless slide tackles.

That Bernabeu 2003 video was enlightening because I had no recollection of Scholes actually having so many good touches that night, in my mind we barely got a kick that night.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Interesting he picked Iniesta, he's my favorite Barca player as well, and Scholes is my favorite player. Yet Xavi is much more like Scholes than Iniesta, perhaps Scholes admires what he can't do more than what he can!
Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets, Messi, and two more players I think Pedro and someone else drew straws for who could have Scholes' jersey after that game. Shows his class.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets, Messi, and two more players I think Pedro and someone else drew straws for who could have Scholes' jersey after that game. Shows his class.
Awesome, I remember something about them fighting over his shirt now. Seems more his style that someone would have asked him to swap instead of him asking himself.

Not that he'd be above asking.

Wittmann45

Are there any more compilations of Scholes from years back?
Theres a comp of Scholes from three or four different games from a few years ago. I think its Fulham, some Russian team (Moscow??), and someone else. Its on youtube, just search "Paul Scholes passing". Its about 10 minutes long, but its a fantastic watch

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Speaking of teams of yore, came across this recently. Blessed are we that he has played for us. What a player.

Kagawa of now reminds me alot of the scholes from then.

Perhaps fergie will try and get him to be our scholes, he is certainly up to it IMO.

Comsmit

That Bernabeu 2003 video was enlightening because I had no recollection of Scholes actually having so many good touches that night, in my mind we barely got a kick that night.
First half was dreadful and littered with poor defensive errors. Second half Real eased off, particularly Zidane...allowing United more possession. After Ruud scored we actually started to show our class and should have scored again. Scholes was the one who really took the game to them.

That particular game was the biggest of the season...and also when I started to feel Keane was a spent force. The Keane of Turin 99 would have intimidated Zidane, that night everything just passed him by.

I also remember Scholes picked up a booking that night meaning he missed the Old Trafford leg. Veron came in and was not match fit. Not sure if it would have made any difference but Scholes was fecking brilliant that season.

Homeomorphic

This is the same game from Zidane's point of view by the way:

Those 2 legs must be the most entertaining CL tie ever to be honest. 11 goals. :lol:

Zen

Inter had a lot of rumours for Giggs when he went through a slight dip in the early 00's. But Scholes doesn't even have an agent or PR team, so never any chance, considering he's partially low wages too, it made no sense for United to even consider any bids on it.

dev1l

A juventus official (Bettega ?) had openely claimed that he was a big fan of scholes but scholes never seemed bothered by their interest.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I am just curious to know something about Scholes and even Giggs. Were there any teams after them or did any one pursue them intently when they were in the their 20's?

Wittmann45

Inter was after Giggs. Sky sports did a special about Giggs after the Moscow final. Sir Alex said Inter were interested, but Giggs said he had no intention of leaving

If no one pursued Scholes, it's probably because they knew he would never leave. Lippi at Juventus for example would probably have loved to have him

Eriku

Just having a read through his wiki:

In a December 2008 interview with The Daily Mirror, he said he planned to retire from football completely in two years. "I think I've got two years left at the most [...] I'm looking forward to finishing and everything that goes with it."[29]
God I'm glad he didn't stick to that :)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
That's hunger for you. Wayne Bridge can lick his balls.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ul-Scholes-I-played-Euro-2012-I-got-call.html

Scholes: I would have played at Euro 2012 but I never got the call!

Paul Scholes would have made a shock comeback for England in the European Championship this summer … if he had been asked.

Although Roy Hodgson was without key midfielders Gareth Barry and Frank Lampard, he did not call on the Manchester United veteran.
Going strong: Paul Scholes on United's pre-season tour of South Africa and China

Going strong: Paul Scholes on United's pre-season tour of South Africa and China

But if the new England manager had, the chances are he would have packed his bags for Poland and Ukraine.

Speaking on United's pre-season tour of South Africa and China, 37-year-old Scholes said the absence of communication from the national team meant he had no decision to make.

'I wasn't offered the chance,' he said. Scholes regretted not being involved in England's 2010 World Cup campaign in South Africa after declaring himself unavailable - and learned his lesson.

However, Hodgson decided against trying to lure the midfielder out of international retirement on two counts: he thought Scholes's priority would have been extending his United career and he did not want to risk rejection by the Old Trafford veteran.
No call: England boss Roy Hodgson

No call: England boss Roy Hodgson

'Well, that's his opinion isn't it,' said Scholes. 'He's entitled to that.' Would he have said No? Scholes said: 'I've no idea. It was flattering to be talked about. But I wasn't asked, so it means nothing.'

Scholes returned from self-imposed retirement last January when United were struggling with injuries in midfield. Yet the desire for his return was mutual.

'I was itching to play again,' he said. 'I was all right for the first couple of months after retiring and didn't really miss anything. But once I got back into going to Carrington and coaching the reserves, as well as being with the lads, it was difficult, especially when there were so many injuries to the team.

'If I'd stayed away from the reserves and the club I'd probably have been OK. But every day that I was going in I just wanted to train and be involved.'

Scholes was out of the game as a player for only a few months, but that did not stop the butterflies or doubts when he pulled the first-team shirt on again.
Comeback: Scholes made his return after United were hit by injuries

Comeback: Scholes made his return after United were hit by injuries

'I did feel nervous when I first came back,' he said. 'When I first went to go back on the pitch I thought: "What the hell am I doing here - I could just be at home watching this". But once I got the first few games out of the way I felt pretty normal again. I had trained a few times with the reserves and felt OK. I felt quite fit.

'I just got my head on, started training and went to see the manager. But I struggled a little - it probably took me about three or four games to get into the swing of things.'

Scholes signed a one-year deal with United in May, extending another chapter to his career at the Old Trafford club 18 years after he made his debut for them.

A driving force behind that decision was a burning desire to win back the title from neighbours Manchester City.

'The manager didn't have to twist my arm to play this season,' said Scholes. He just said: "You're going to play next year, aren't you?"

'I had no plans either way - whatever the manager wanted me to do that was going to happen.'

The memory of the dramatic finale to last season, when City snatched the title from United with virtually the last kick, still hurts Scholes. 'It wasn't good, was it?' he said. 'It's always a motivating force when you lose the league. It's not nice to see another team celebrate winning the title on the last day of the season, and that picture stays with you.
Focused: Scholes wants to make up for final day disappointment

Focused: Scholes wants to make up for final day disappointment

'For most of the season we were in control, then it got to the Wigan game and we lost that. The Everton game as well was a big disappointment, from 4-2 up to draw 4-4. And obviously we went to City and lost - that was an even bigger disappointment.

'You always say the best team win the league, and City were the best team last year. I didn't play at Wigan when we lost but that wasn't down to me not playing, anything could have happened.

'But we failed at the end of last season. There is no question we should have won the league. To be fair to City, they closed it out.

'It didn't matter who it was: to be in that position, eight points clear with six games to go, it's not like us. It was a major disappointment to lose the league from there.

'But we have to look to next year, and if we're in the same position we'll have to make sure we finish the job.'

DevilRed

Everytime I think of how England played him on the left wing I cringe. This guy is the greatest English midfielder of possibly any era and somehow because he doesn't have an ego, we decide to play him on the wings for a large chunk of major tournaments. What could have been if we had actually played him in his preferred position?

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Hogdson didn't want to risk rejection? What is he, 17 years old?

Something's not right though. There's no way Gary Neville didn't know Scholes wanted to go.

Maybe Hogdson just doesn't rate Scholes which makes him an even worse feckwit. Take your pick.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Hogdson didn't want to risk rejection? What is he, 17 years old?

Something's not right though. There's no way Gary Neville didn't know Scholes wanted to go.

Maybe Hogdson just doesn't rate Scholes which makes him an even worse feckwit. Take your pick.
I think Hodgson made his mind up already and didnt trust a 37 year old that couldnt play every 2 or 3 days (similar to the official excuse why Rio wasnt picked)

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Just how good is he?

Best player on the pitch vs barcelona in his 37, fecking incredible.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He's ridiculous.

KanieKaned

Probably about 54 mill realistically, I don't think he's as marketable like the Ronaldo's of this world because he has never been one for the limelight.

Eriku

The man is such a natural fecking footballer... and nobody consistently whacks those diagonals like him.

Can't wait for another season with him :)

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
It's hilarious that Paul Scholes is still our best midfielder. For all the talk of formations pitting Carrick with Cleverley, Kagawa, Anderson etc...surely if fit Scholes must start whenever possible?

Absolutely class that he can go up against the generation's best at 37 and still look quality.

Widnes

I am just curious to know something about Scholes and even Giggs. Were there any teams after them or did any one pursue them intently when they were in the their 20's?
I seem to remember both Milan clubs was very keen on a young Ryan Giggs, I think one may have revived their interest in him in his early 30's aswell (Inter i think)

Status
Not open for further replies.