Paulo Dybala

cyberman

Cant argue with him. He can play Lingards position and has played well with Pogba in the past.

Coops73

I didn't take it, someone from the press was stalking him and took that.

Edit: Never mind, he put it on Instagram, complained about the weather.
Poor love. Manchester will be right up his street then.

izec

Wonder how much that hobo chic jumper cost. I love that we've reached a point in fashion where my attempts at knitting could be passed off as 'designer'.
Wasnt that always the case though? Something shitty but unique always costs more than you think. I mean if people buy jeans with holes in them, nothing surprises me anymore

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Cant argue with him. He can play Lingards position and has played well with Pogba in the past.
You can argue it in a lot of ways tbh. We need defenders and midfielders. We've needed them since Rio and Vidic declined, we've needed a right back since we gave up on Rafael and we needed midfielders since Scholes/fletcher/Carrick each individually declined, aged, retired, left. Those have pretty much all been problems since before Fergie retired. We signed Pogba but turns out hes an attacking mid, not a holding or controlling mid, leaving anyway. So problem still there. Herrera has temporarily filled in but has been inconsistent and is leaving. Matic had like 2 good months and should leave. So none of that is resolved. We've had the same painfully glaring issues for most of the past 7 years, yet they're continuously being ignored in favor of someone like Dybala.

To add to that, hes not a right winger, most people assume we'll go to a 433 like every single top team over the past decade, and for that we need a normal right sided player. It's just stupid management to go for someone like dybala when you look at our squad, unless someone thinks they can fix the other 5 positions that need fixing regardless of Dybala.

We fix our fullback position, center back and midfield, and we'll look like a really good all around team but maybe miss that bit extra in the attack. Would at least give the attackers we already have a much better platform to perform. We sign Dybala instead of fixing our midfield and/or defenders, and we'll still be in the bottom half of the league defensively, we still will be inconsistent as feck because of a unbalanced team, we still will have no right side, but we'll have a "top player" that we paid over 100m for who we can shoe horn in again without a clear plan.

Champagne Football

I doubt we have any interest at all in this kid. I doubt any PL club has any interest in him. Atletico Madrid or AC Milan is where he'll end up.

izec

You can argue it in a lot of ways tbh. We need defenders and midfielders. We've needed them since Rio and Vidic declined, we've needed a right back since we gave up on Rafael and we needed midfielders since Scholes/fletcher/Carrick each individually declined, aged, retired, left. Those have pretty much all been problems since before Fergie retired. We signed Pogba but turns out hes an attacking mid, not a holding or controlling mid, leaving anyway. So problem still there. Herrera has temporarily filled in but has been inconsistent and is leaving. Matic had like 2 good months and should leave. So none of that is resolved. We've had the same painfully glaring issues for most of the past 7 years, yet they're continuously being ignored in favor of someone like Dybala.

To add to that, hes not a right winger, most people assume we'll go to a 433 like every single top team over the past decade, and for that we need a normal right sided player. It's just stupid management to go for someone like dybala when you look at our squad, unless someone thinks they can fix the other 5 positions that need fixing regardless of Dybala.

We fix our fullback position, center back and midfield, and we'll look like a really good all around team but maybe miss that bit extra in the attack. Would at least give the attackers we already have a much better platform to perform. We sign Dybala instead of fixing our midfield and/or defenders, and we'll still be in the bottom half of the league defensively, we still will be inconsistent as feck because of a unbalanced team, we still will have no right side, but we'll have a "top player" that we paid over 100m for who we can shoe horn in again without a clear plan.
Calm down, we wont sign big name players and they have no interest in joining.

panEPOmodor

Supports
Inter
personally i would never seek this kind of player, too small for PL, no heart, no grind in him, he's your typical player suited for the italian league and or spanish league where diving is part of their football culture

Last edited by a moderator:

Devil may care

I feel like anyone sign is a risk right now, even all of the good old English grafters some on here are craving, because it's going to be more about Ole identifying the root cause of the atitude problem that has spread through the squad and getting rid of those players, the mentality as a whole needs to change first and foremost.

As for Dybala, I don't see why anyone wouldn't want him, he's certainly head and shoulders above most of the forwards we are being linked with and would play the false 9 role in the diamond perfectly, people need to let go of 4-3-3 and wingers with this squad. If you look at Dybala's output prior to this season when Juve became Ronaldo FC, he's got good consistency.

Last edited:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I feel like anyone sign is a risk right now, even all of the good old English grafters some on here are craving, because it's going to be more about Ole identifying the root cause of the atitude problem that has spread through the squad and getting rid of those players, the mentality as a whole needs to change first and foremost.

As for Dybala, I don't see why anyone wouldn't want him, he's certainly head and shoulders above most of the forwards we are being linked with and would play the flase 9 role in the diamond perfectly, people need to let go of 4-3-3 and wingers with this squad. If you look at Dybala's output prior to this season when Juve became Ronaldo FC, he's got good consistency.
That's actually quite obvious. Because we'd be signing the best part of our budget to fill a position we don't need and, actually, don't even have. If we spent the money on Sancho for example, it would make more sense as he fills the gaping hole on our right hand side.

I think Dybala is a good player, but this signing would tell me that we haven't learnt a damn thing these last few years. Unless we spend another £3-400m filling the other spaces, which is really unlikely.

RedNed77

Why? Is there a restriction on number of signings we can make?
Ed can only do one deal at a time apparently and he doesn’t seem to have to started yet. I’d suggest that will be the biggest issue.

Devil may care

That's actually quite obvious. Because we'd be signing the best part of our budget to fill a position we don't need and, actually, don't even have. If we spent the money on Sancho for example, it would make more sense as he fills the gaping hole on our right hand side.

I think Dybala is a good player, but this signing would tell me that we haven't learnt a damn thing these last few years. Unless we spend another £3-400m filling the other spaces, which is really unlikely.
Sancho is a kid with no experience and one half season of performance under his belt, the right hand side is also irrelevant as our strikers can't hold the ball up and aren't clinical enough. Our best formation is the diamond, we just need to upgrade Lingard/Mata for the tip of it which Dybala would do, then we need a RB that can provide attacking width, if you actually look at Young's performances prior to the last few weeks, he was making runs all of the time into the right channel and being found by Pogba, the problem is his delivery is garbage, if we sort RB and an attacker for the tip of the diamond who can score and create, we'll see more coming from the strikers we have who are suited to the split striker system where their limited ability on the ball is minimized and their strength of running in behind is maximized.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Sancho is a kid with no experience and one half season of performance under his belt, the right hand side is also irrelevant as our strikers can't hold the ball up and aren't clinical enough. Our best formation is the diamond, we just need to upgrade Lingard/Mata for the tip of it which Dybala would do, then we need a RB that can provide attacking width, if you actually look at Young's performances prior to the last few weeks, he was making runs all of the time into the right channel and being found by Pogba, the problem is his delivery is garbage, if we sort RB and an attacker for the tip of the diamond who can score and create, we'll see more coming from the strikers we have who are suited to the split striker system where their limited ability on the ball is minimized and their strength of running in behind is maximized.
Good post.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

He’s absolutely a position we need, unless Ole is planning on lining up drastically different to how we have been.

And Sancho isn’t relevant to the transfer funds available for this if Dortmund decides not to negotiate this summer, which is likely. Not to mention they won’t fill the same roles regardless.

NoPace

What "current 4-3-3", what round hole? We've probably only played 4-3-3 in half the matches under Ole. We've played 3-5-2 and 4-4-2 diamond in a lot of games too.

People are talking about him not fitting to "our formation", when Ole has clearly not settled into one formation at all.
Yeah. I think the way to look at our team is this, assuming Pogba and Herrera go and De Gea stay.

-Martial (assuming Ole thinks he can get him to move off the ball) and Rashford are speedy finishers who aren't going to create a ton dropping deep.
-Shaw and Lindelof are 2 of our 4 defenders and we badly need a RB and a partner for Lindelof.
-De Gea is our keeper

Yeah, that's about it.

So we need a couple creative types, a couple midfielders who do their best work in the engine room and are technically good enough for us to play good football and those 2 aforementioned defenders. The idea that we need a RW or false 9, or an attacking RB or a defensive one seems a bit precious to me. We need quality, hungry, young players (because we aren't winning anything soon) apart from speedy forwards who struggle to get on the ball and then maybe a less physical CB and a defensive LB and a GK are surplus. Everything else a football team consists of is badly needed.

Bwuk

I think this will happen. Not sure how I feel about it.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Even if we sign Sancho, I doubt it's to play RW. If people have been watching us over the last few months they would see why Ole is apparently after this guy.

Slysi17

Like feck we will sign Paulo Dybala. We are a mess without Champions League football. He wouldn't even want to come. People that think we will sign him are in dreamland.

ants7

Genuine question - does Dybala really match the mentality and effort levels Ole keeps talking about?

Silas

He's in London. Arsenal? They are reckoned to be clearing out Ozil and Mikhi and possibly losing Lacazette to Spain.
Doubt they could afford him. So many other priorities in that team, like their entire defence. Torreira's their only good CM as well.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Genuine question - does Dybala really match the mentality and effort levels Ole keeps talking about?
Prob not but he has that smile celebration that can be monetised and Ed likely has a boner over it.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Perhaps we have agreed a deal in principle with Juve. It doesn’t mean it hasn’t been leaked so Juve can agree the same deal with someone else when he says ‘feck off’.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Talked with a mate, a big Juventus fan. They won't be too concerned if he's out

edgecutter

100 million is a big gamble to take. We could easily get 3-4 good players for that amount that would instantly improve our side.

I still think we need a massive recruitment in better coaches and facilities than spunking big on one player.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If he’s available for 30m to 40m with reasonable wages then yes. Anything more than 40m & crazy wages, we should avoid.

1) we shouldn’t be overpaying this guy. We aren’t desperate to sign him anyway, Juventus is just rumoured want to sell him. He’s not a winger & not a clinical striker, so don’t actually need him in desperation.

2) he’s an Argentine and we have very bad history dealing with them, so not worthy to spend big bucks on this guy.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
No thanks.

Would definitely come under the luxury player we definitely don't need.

A quality player on his day, but it's like putting a single small plaster over several deep stab wounds.