Paulo Dybala

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revan

Assumptionman
English and German are both Germanic languages. That doesn't mean I can understand Das Boot without subtitles. 'Most can understand Italian straight off the boat' seems unlikely in the extreme.
I speak Italian at a decent level (though worse than English) and was able to communicate without problems when I was on Barcelona (Catalan) and Madrid (Spanish). I talked in Italian with a weird accent, they replied to me on Catalan/Spanish and it worked perfectly. If really concentrated, I can also understand a bit of Portuguese (though no French).

For natives, it should be significantly easier.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I really cannot believe that someone at Juve thinks it could be a good idea to swap Dybala for Lukaku.
If there is any chance to get this done we should try everything before Juve realize what exactly they are doing here.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I really cannot believe that someone at Juve thinks it could be a good idea to swap Dybala for Lukaku.
If there is any chance to get this done we should try everything before Juve realize what exactly they are doing here.
Lukaku is not a bad player. In the right system he is a proven goalscorer for Belgium and was for Everton as well.

It hasn't worked out for him at United but it doesn't surprise me Juve might want a player like him, in the past they've gone with llorente/mandzukic as big, target man type players so they have history with it.

Dybala was really bad for Juventus last season and is a bit of a misfit there, so trading that in for a player they think they can actually use makes sense, imo.

Jacob

Guys calm down, you are clearly overestimating Dybala. A shrewd club like Juve knows better than discarding him if they didn't have doubts over his qualities/potential. If something is too good to be true, it oftentimes isn't.

Gandalf

Lukaku is not a bad player. In the right system he is a proven goalscorer for Belgium and was for Everton as well.

It hasn't worked out for him at United but it doesn't surprise me Juve might want a player like him, in the past they've gone with llorente/mandzukic as big, target man type players so they have history with it.
The only problem with that thinking is that he is a pretty awful target man, easily bullied for a man of his size and with a lousy first touch which makes it hard for him to control the ball and play others in. His strength is in playing for an underdog when the opposition is holding a high line and he has space to run into behind. Juve will be playing week in and week out against teams that park the bus and he has nowhere near the level of technical ability needed to function in a tightly packed attacking third. This whole thing is baffling to me but dear god I would love it if we pull it off.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
I think this might only be about the size of his deal. In which case he's coming to United and Pogba is getting a massive new contract.
I’m not sure. It’s getting dragged out quite a bit and beginning to lose interest/focus....I was hoping the past 48 hours would be enough but nothing yet.

Fully Fledged

I’m not sure. It’s getting dragged out quite a bit and beginning to lose interest/focus....I was hoping the past 48 hours would be enough but nothing yet.

It's only just started FFS. Sometimes transfer sagas can go on for months. At least that is not going to happen here.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
The only problem with that thinking is that he is a pretty awful target man, easily bullied for a man of his size and with a lousy first touch which makes it hard for him to control the ball and play others in. His strength is in playing for an underdog when the opposition is holding a high line and he has space to run into behind. Juve will be playing week in and week out against teams that park the bus and he has nowhere near the level of technical ability needed to function in a tightly packed attacking third. This whole thing is baffling to me but dear god I would love it if we pull it off.
Maybe they think they can work on him. Belgium aren't an underdog and he bags plenty for them.

I think he's a striker who needs consistent service. He's not going to create much off his own back, but if you put him in a system where he has a clear and defined role I do believe he can work.

Then again, Juventus aren't the most creative side .. but maybe under Sarri that will change, I'm guessing they do have a plan for him. I'm hesitant to call it baffling because Dybala really was poor for them last season and simply doesn't fit in, and Lukaku's reputation at United might have plummeted but he's still a first choice striker for one of the best national sides around.

It's a good trade from United's perspective too though, if Dybala is motivated. Because that clearly hasn't been a good match either. Sometimes players just don't work at certain clubs but can flourish elsewhere.

Moonwalker

Dybala was really bad for Juventus last season and is a bit of a misfit there, so trading that in for a player they think they can actually use makes sense, imo.
That's ignoring the fact that a) he isn't a target man, and b) their manager is now Maurizio Sarri.

Trophy Room

Guys calm down, you are clearly overestimating Dybala. A shrewd club like Juve knows better than discarding him if they didn't have doubts over his qualities/potential. If something is too good to be true, it oftentimes isn't.
True. As I said before, we had similar feelings about Sanchez and Di Maria and look how that turned out. No guarantees in football unfortunately but that shouldn't stop us from pursuing top players. Whether one classes Dybala as a top player is open for discussion.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
That's ignoring the fact that a) he isn't a target man, and b) their manager is now Maurizio Sarri.
He isn't right now. Maybe Juventus think they can work on him?

I doubt they're pursuing him without a role in mind and having scouted him thoroughly. Maybe it won't be as a Mandzukic/Llorente heir but either way they're no fools.

Gandalf

It's a good trade from United's perspective too though, if Dybala is motivated. Because that clearly hasn't been a good match either. Sometimes players just don't work at certain clubs but can flourish elsewhere.
That is what gives me hope. Most observers think the issue for Dybala is that he just does not fit with Ronaldo and they ultimately got in each others way last season and so a change of scenery might restore his previous good form. You are right about them having a plan for Lukaku too I am sure, I can't see it but much smarter people than me are running Juve and they obviously think they have a role that will fit their team.

Suedesi

Yeah, little Englander because I don't think England is a shithole. Get a grip.

You're the only one with the 'little englander' attitude by going around making untrue blanket statements about other nations. You're also on record now multiple times with your anti-England agenda. There's plenty to like and hate about both countries and where you prefer to live is going to come down a lot to personal preference/culture. Keep romanticising Italy as a nation though, you know the country where a player gets racially abused every 5 minutes and nobody gives a shit.
Oh hi Brexit, what are you still doing in this thread?

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
So according to Fabrizio’s latest post,

we’re willing to match Dybala’s demands, he will not train or have any medical examinations until the 5th, Juvé are willing to sell, Lukaku has already agreed to terms with Juventus and talks continue tomorrow.

Everything still pointing towards an exit unless something changes.

EngimaMK

The crime rate may not be high but they do kill people, put them in bathtub, cover them in sand and leave them on a balcony... so there is that.
They? Is that what they do is it? Or are you thinking specifically of the Lucy Blackman case from the 1990s? If so, it wasn't a balcony, it was a cave. Try not to sound so ridiculous.

bondsname

If Dybala says no to us, we miss out on Bruno but we sign Maguire for 80 million (not including add-ons) would you guys consider this a successful transfer window?

kirk buttercup

Surely he had to be interested In a move . Juve didnt just say "we want lakaku so you can have let me see hmmm Costa! no wait how about Cancelo no no hes goin to city Dybala yep that's it Dybala. "

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
If Dybala says no to us, we miss out on Bruno but we sign Maguire for 80 million (not including add-ons) would you guys consider this a successful transfer window?
Ney. I still think we need a midfielder/offensive player. Fernandes is the perfect solution.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
The reports are that Juventus are forcing him out essentially and he doesn't really want to go to United but would for money?
He can say no at any point. He has every right to make everything fall through.

Reports have said it's all on him, I don't think he'd have an interview at United after he signs if he didn't want to be here.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
So according to Fabrizio’s latest post,

we’re willing to match Dybala’s demands, he will not train or have any medical examinations until the 5th, Juvé are willing to sell, Lukaku has already agreed to terms with Juventus and talks continue tomorrow.

Everything still pointing towards an exit unless something changes.
It doesn’t quite say we’re willing to meet his demands, just that w3’re gonna push for the deal (although we probably will end up giving him what he wants).

redshaw

Not that confident he'll sign.

While something may have been brewing over there it sounds like this is still being thrust upon him kind of late. He'll want his own choice and might be best staying for another year or see who else comes in once the PL window shuts.

It's not like United has blipped out of the CL momentarily, we've only qualified twice in six years via the league and had to win Europa for our third entrance. Other clubs are guaranteed places in the CL. Sarri or Ronaldo could be gone soon and right now Juve are in contention to win it.

Moonwalker

He isn't right now. Maybe Juventus think they can work on him?

I doubt they're pursuing him without a role in mind and having scouted him thoroughly. Maybe it won't be as a Mandzukic/Llorente heir but either way they're no fools.
Sarri doesn't use a target man, so who their previous strikers were is completely irrelevant.

As for converting him to a target man, Mourinho would have done, if he could.

The 'no fools' stuff is interesting. It seems everyone thinks that about clubs they admire from a distance. When I went to Juventuz, the atmosphere there is hilariously similar to the one on here or your own opinions about spurs. They are calling their hierarchy idiots and fools, and wondering if it's Moratti in disguise doing the negotiations.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Nah, our attack/midfield still looks weak as feck. It’d be a good window for our defence though.

Status
Not open for further replies.