Paulo Dybala

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think I'd rather we got the money for Lukaku to spend elsewhere. Signing another forward that still doesn't solve our RW issue doesn't seem a good idea.
How about we solve the SS/F9 issue so we don't have to see Lingard in the 11

Scholsey2004

He's obviously a Woodward signing to replace the current face of United, Pogba, as the marketing centrepiece. He's an exciting player branded with Adidas and he's good looking on top of that.

All that being said he's the type of signing who even if he's not exactly what ole was looking for he's got the kind of quality he can definitely use. We could conceivably play him in the Mata role right of centre but number 10 would make most sense, which raises questions about the potential Fernandes transfer. Hopefully he won't be too jaded by the nature of his exit from Juventus since they seem to be pushing him out the door.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Oh for God's sake, how can swapping Lukaku for Dybala be anything other than fantastic news.
The mind boggles with some people:houllier::lol:.
In fairness, I don't think anyone is arguing that swapping Lukaku for Dybala is bad idea in and of itself.

The question rather is if you had whatever money Lukaku is worth instead, would Dybala be the best player to buy into the side? The deal itself could be great on its own terms without Dybala neccessarily being a fantastic fit for the team.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I absolutely love him (even during his Palermo days), but feck me if we are going to stick him at RW really no point in making the deal.

Juventuz forum in full meltdown mode atm.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
This makes sense on zero levels, I wouldnt mind being proven wrong but I dont see Juve being this stupid
Ronnie, Pjanic and Costa will feed Lukaku lavishly with assists. Add to that Serie A's more forgiving tempo and he should be back with scoring habit.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Oh for God's sake, how can swapping Lukaku for Dybala be anything other than fantastic news.
The mind boggles with some people:houllier::lol:.
This isn't a good argument to change my opinion on Dybala on this Manchester United team. But I'd love to hear some great arguments as to why he is such a fantastic fit if you have any!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's obviously a Woodward signing to replace the current face of United, Pogba, as the marketing centrepiece. He's an exciting player branded with Adidas and he's good looking on top of that.

All that being said he's the type of signing who even if he's not exactly what ole was looking for he's got the kind of quality he can definitely use. We could conceivably play him in the Mata role right of centre but number 10 would make most sense, which raises questions about the potential Fernandes transfer. Hopefully he won't be too jaded by the nature of his exit from Juventus since they seem to be pushing him out the door.
Can't see Pogba being all that desperate to leave with his best mate from his old club about to rock up, they had great chemistry and it's a huge statement of intent from us. According to reports Pogba wants to be at a club challenging for trophies and he's not necessarily unhappy with United but unhappy with where we are as a club, we'd certainly be heading in the right direction with this accquisition.

LoneStar

How doesn't it? This has nothing to do with who they think is the better player. It's who suits what they're going for more. Dybala simply doesn't fit in to what they're going for with Ronaldo there, Lukaku does. It's just a coincidence Dybala fits in to what we are going for.
I can't see Lukaku fitting in with Sarri's style at all. The Inter links made total sense, but this doesn't.

Bojan11

We're not getting both Bruno AND Dybala

And that midfield, would be overrun!!!
Why would it? Don’t City have De Bruyne and Silva? It’s up to the coach to make sure it doesn’t get overrun with the correct style of play. If we parking the bus all game then yeah you are right that midfield is not made for that.

Womp

idiot
I can't see Lukaku fitting in with Sarri's style at all. The Inter links made total sense, but this doesn't.
Ronaldo doesn't suit Sarri's style either. His job there is to get the best out of Ronaldo, even if that means hindering his own methods a little. Lukaku will do that, Dybala won't.

Having a tank who can hold the ball up and play off the shoulder - feeding balls into Ronaldo is far more beneficial to Ronnie than a midget who likes to play one twos, dropping deep and peeling off defenders.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
True. Though a lot of posters seem to intensely dislike that asymmetrical set up (while I'm fine with it personally depending on how it functions).
I've been getting hung up on his position too but have started convincing myself that our front 3 next season will be so fluid and perfectly interchangeable that it won't matter.

And he's got to be better than Lukaku right? Or is this a higher stakes version of the Sanchez/ Mkhi swap?

As you can see, I'm all over the map on this one.

LoneStar

Ronaldo doesn't suit Sarri's style either. His job there is to get the best out of Ronaldo, even if that means hindering his own methods a little. Lukaku will do that, Dybala won't.
I'll admit I didn't watch Chelsea last season other than a couple of games. Don't you feel Lukaku is simply not technical enough for his system?

mu4c_20le

I've been getting hung up on his position too but have started convincing myself that our front 3 next season will be so fluid and perfectly interchangeable that it won't matter.

And he's got to be better than Lukaku right? Or is this a higher stakes version of the Sanchez/ Mkhi swap?

I think we need to stop trying to compare with previous failures and focus on the player instead. Dybala is an extremely technical player, young, and scores brilliant goals. Exactly the type of profile we should be going for. Sometimes I despair when we fail to string three passes together.

AltiUn

Why would it? Don’t City have De Bruyne and Silva? It’s up to the coach to make sure it doesn’t get overrun with the correct style of play. If we parking the bus all game then yeah you are right that midfield is not made for that.
That midfield has Fernandinho at its base, we don't have a DM capable of balancing that.

Tiber

I know people are going all in on the Di Maria comparisons, but Di Maria trending on Twitter as result is bonkers

Rocknrolla69er

One of my favourite players... A good age to be buying him and he seems pretty good value

But...

There is something nagging away and I'm not convinced he's what we need right now

I just don't see how he fits into a formation that suits other players or him.

He could play on the right of a front three but it is not his most natural role

He could play as a centre forward perhaps a little like firminiho with a focus on dropping for deep and creating for wide players (martial and rashford?) ... But I think rashford is better suited to a central role

He could play as a no10 with rashford ahead and 2 wide players... But then we have pogba in a midfield 2 which I don't think gives him the freedom to be at his best.

Perhaps ole has a cunning plan... And I hope so because I think he's a great player but I just can't quite picture it at the moment
I think ole will tell Pogba to buck up, play him deeper and allow Dybala the AM role, with Pogba moved on at the end of the season for being a good hard working boy

Womp

idiot
I'll admit I didn't watch Chelsea last season other than a couple of games. Don't you feel Lukaku is simply not technical enough for his system?
It's ironic, because I think had Ronaldo not been there, Dybala would have been incredible in Sarri's system. Since he's there, he has to adapt to Ronaldo though. Lukaku isn't the most technical player, true, but he does what he'd be expected to well enough; finish when he gets chances and feed Ronaldo.

ManchesterYoda

CF: 112 games 67 goals+assists = 1.67 games per goal/assist
SS: 96 games 65 goals+assists = 1.48 games per goal/assist

AM: 13 games 2 goals+assists = 6.5 games per goal/assist

RW: 17 games 7 goals+assists = 2.43 games per goal/assist
LW: 3 games 1 goals+assists = 3 games per goal/assist

If we sign him, I hope to Christ we don't try and play him on the right and ruin him like we did Mata.
Dybala is obviously most effective playing central. We should only play him as 10, 9 or 9 1/2.

Bojan11

He’d get away with it at Juve unless in big games because they so much more dominant than us in their league and they have better players.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Even while giving Lukaku whatever respect he's due, he simply doesn't fit in this side. I certainly can't imagine Dybala would be less effective for us than Lukaku would be, so in that sense it's a definite good deal and one we should be very pleased with.

I guess my question would be if we got a big fee for Lukaku instead, how many other potential buys are there who would suit the team better than Dybala? Is this the biggest possible upgrade we could make from this position when taking team balance into account?

Scholsey2004

True. Though a lot of posters seem to intensely dislike that asymmetrical set up (while I'm fine with it personally depending on how it functions).
I admit I'm not a huge fan of it but I suppose if you play a winger on the touchline on the left then there's a certain logic in moving the other two attacking midfielders across so the winger isn't isolated. Still, I would have thought Dybala would be most effective in the Rooney role. I'm just not so sure about him as a presser though which seems key to what ole is trying to achieve. Another poster praised his work-rate but I'm not sure that's the same as being a good presser. Martial-Dybala-James behind Rashford would get the best from Dybala.

LoneStar

He’d get away with it at Juve unless in big games because they so much more dominant than us in their league and they have better players.
This deal still feels so strange to me on so many levels.

I am sure he will score a lot more in Serie A, no doubt, but someone like Icardi would make more sense. They have a team full of technical players and I feel like Lukaku would stick out like a sore thumb.

Womp

idiot
Even while giving Lukaku whatever respect he's due, he simply doesn't fit in this side. I certainly can't imagine Dybala would be less effective for us than Lukaku would be, so in that sense it's a definite good deal and one we should be very pleased with.

I guess my question would be if we got a big fee for Lukaku instead, how many other potential buys are there who would suit the team better than Dybala? Is this the biggest possible upgrade we could make from this position when taking team balance into account?
I'd say so. (When used correctly), he is along with Griezmann the best in the World in that specific role imo.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Oh the options if we sign both Dybala and Fernandes (and if we move James to the RW).

ST - Rashford and Dybala
LW - Martial and Sanchez
RW - Lingard, James and Mata
AM - Pogba and Fernandes
CM - Pereirra and Fred
CDM - Scott and Matic

AltiUn

Not sure if this has been posted, but for those of you asking about Dybala and Pogba's time together at Juventus.

Eddy_JukeZ

I'd love to see that.

A midfield 3 with Pogba and Bruno in there. A front 3 with Martial, Rashford and Dybala.

But we really lack a holding midfielder. Wish we were in for one.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7

...France play in a 4231/442...they play with a 10/SS (Griezmann)...they play a CM wide at times (Sissoko/Matuidi)...& with pace down the left (Mbappe).

Dybala can be the Griezmann. Bruno can also play wide as he does for Portugal but it can also be the other way around for the 2 as they interchange positions. And it makes sense why Ole swapped Rashford to the left. I would not at all be surprised if Ole is trying to replicate the French lineup to get the best out of Pogba while have as many attacking options as possible. It would mean Pogba would need to be the best DLP version of himself as he is for France. That’s how Bruno+Dybala would work in that setup.

Scholsey2004

I think for an equivalent value to Lukaku he's got to be worth it.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
If we do sign him I hope he plays like a player possessed to prove a point to Juve and show them it was a mistake to let him go.

kirk buttercup

...France play in a 4231/442...they play with a 10/SS (Griezmann)...they play a CM wide at times (Sissoko/Matuidi)...& with pace down the left (Mbappe).

Dybala can be the Griezmann. Bruno can also play wide as he does for Portugal but it can also be the other way around for the 2 as they interchange positions. And it makes sense why Ole swapped Rashford to the left. I would not at all be surprised if Ole is trying to replicate the French lineup to get the best out of Pogba while have as many attacking options as possible. It would mean Pogba would need to be the best DLP version of himself as he is for France. That’s how Bruno+Dybala would work in that setup.
Very good .

Eddy_JukeZ

Not sure if this has been posted, but for those of you asking about Dybala and Pogba's time together at Juventus.
They have a good relationship.

"It was great to see to see Paul again because we're good friends," the 24-year-old told reporters on Thursday(after our CL games with Juventus).

"The first game [at Old Trafford] was amazing for me, and the second for him.

"But it was just nice to play against him. We have remained in touch since he left [Juventus].

"We're still very close and who knows, maybe in the future we can play together again on the same team..."

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
There's a big difference between KDB and Pogba as players though, not least in terms of work rate. Plus they have a better DM.

Status
Not open for further replies.