Paulo Dybala

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDevilRoshi

It's a title contender of a squad.
Personally don’t think it’s a title contender as City’s squad is still much more stronger.

I’d say it’s easily a top 3 with potential to be a title contender.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
It's a title contender of a squad.
Personally don’t think it’s a title contender as City’s squad is still much more stronger.

I’d say it’s easily a top 3 with potential to be a title contender.
Sorry to break it to you and be a party pooper but

we’re not getting all 3 of Dybala+Maguire+Bruno in 1 window especially when we’ve already spent £50m on AWB. Maybe if we had a Sheik owner but we have the Glazers. We’re getting 2 at most and I’m prepared for 1 just to save myself the disappointment :lol:

Adcuth

If we continue playing 4231, then I think is going to be Fernandes OR Dybala.

Do you know if Bruno can play in a midfield of 2?
Not really if we play Dybala up top as a false 9 with the wide men breaking forward then it would still work. And given that our wide men are also forwards then it makes sense to bring Dybala in. But we could also accommodate Bruno.

So say for instance we lined up with

Dybala​

Martial Bruno Greenwood
When we attacked our formation would basically change to

Martial Greenwood​

Bruno Dybala
But dependant on the tactics used it could also morph into

Martial​

Bruno Dybala Greenwood
Either way it would work

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
So say for instance we lined up with

Dybala​

Martial Bruno Greenwood
When we attacked our formation would basically change to

Martial Greenwood​

Bruno Dybala
But dependant on the tactics used it could also morph into

Martial​

Bruno Dybala Greenwood
Either way it would work
Bruno doesn’t play LW - not even as a secondary position - so that’d be quite useless.

starman

..........Mctominay.....
...Bruno...........Pogba...
.............Dybala.......
..Rashford...... Martial

Yes please

Adcuth

Bruno doesn’t play LW - not even as a secondary position - so that’d be quite useless.
He's not playing left wing though is he, but he is capable of drifting wide during a phase of play, the same way Lindelof isn't an attacker but he can bring the ball forward a huge way from his natural position. Do you think he'd all of a sudden become shit cause he's on that side. Pretty sure I've watched him score from that area of the pitch a few times

Adcuth

..........Mctominay.....
..Rashford...... Martial

Yes please
Get Maguire in next to Lindelof and that would be the team I wanted from the end of last season

Fer

..........Mctominay.....
..Rashford...... Martial

Yes please
If we sign a top DM, then it could work.

That would be the best formation with Bruno and Dybala in it.

Also, if we play versus a big club we would use Fernandes as CAM and Dybala as second striker.

De Gea
Wan Bissaka - Lindelof - Maguire? - Shaw
CDM
Mctominay - Pogba
Fernandes
Dybala - Rashford​

Adcuth

If we sign a top DM, then it could work.

That would be the best formation with Bruno and Dybala in it.

Also, if we play versus a big club we would use Fernandes as CAM and Dybala as second striker.

De Gea
Wan Bissaka - Lindelof - Maguire? - Shaw
CDM
Mctominay - Pogba
Fernandes
Dybala - Rashford​
Yeah I agree there, I think Mctominay will have a standout season this year, but he shouldn't be in that DM role yet in the big games where we will be on the defensive a lot. The CM role would suit him but out less pressure on him since this will be his first proper season as a first teamer. Out of interest, who would you fill that DM role with?

Walters_19_MuFc

Its clear from pre season that Ole wants a default system of 4231. No doubt other systems will be used, but I think the 4231 will be the system we'll be using more often than not. Therefore, I think if we were to get Dybala, he'd play as a 10, along with on the right if/when we need to.

Martial
Rashford Dybala Greenwood​

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Yeah I agree there, I think Mctominay will have a standout season this year, but he shouldn't be in that DM role yet in the big games where we will be on the defensive a lot. The CM role would suit him but out less pressure on him since this will be his first proper season as a first teamer. Out of interest, who would you fill that DM role with?
Why shouldn't he be? He had some of his best games in the big games, PSG for example.

beingshe7don

Its clear from pre season that Ole wants a default system of 4231. No doubt other systems will be used, but I think the 4231 will be the system we'll be using more often than not. Therefore, I think if we were to get Dybala, he'd play as a 10, along with on the right if/when we need to.

Martial
Rashford Dybala Greenwood​
I prefer
---------------- Martial ------------------
--- James ------ Bruno --------- Dybala ---

Rashford is extremely over-rated.... The guy is a poor man's Nani. I would even rate Greenwood higher than Rashford in terms of talent.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Disagree. If he's to have a stand out season, he needs to be first team in that role against the big guns. He was brilliant in the PSG and Barcelona games.

I reckon we've already got our DM.

Mainoldo

Was against this so bad until I seen Olé’s formation against Spurs. He would be a perfect number 10.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I prefer

Rashford is extremely over-rated.... The guy is a poor man's Nani. I would even rate Greenwood higher than Rashford in terms of talent.
Criminally underrated here. You'll change your tune over the course of the season, and a lot of others.

NoPace

If we sign Dybala, it has to be to play centrally, whether that's the 4-2-3-1 (verging on a 4-2-4 even) we've played this pre-season, or a diamond with Dybala as the 10 and 2 of Rashford, Martial and Greenwood up top, with Pogba (or I guess Savic from Lazio if Pogba is off to Madrid) and a new shuttler on either side and McTominay holding, or perhaps McTominay as a shuttler and a new DM I guess.

My sense is he'd be a good signing in that we currently lack creativity and a player who knows how to come deeper, get onto the ball and hold it up and he's very good at that.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I haven't seen a lot of Dybala, but I'm suspicious of how good he actually is. Serie A followers are downplaying his talents whilst others, that i reckon haven't seen a lot other than highlights, are talking like he's Aguero.

The thing is the weaknesses that are being talked about make me think he'd be completely the wrong player to play behind the striker/in midfield for us. Lacks workrate, passing etc. If he was coming in to play more as a false 9/poacher with more technical players around him then that would be fine, but I'm sure Rashford will still be first choice up front, so i don't think that's the case.

Am I wrong? I still feel like we'd need to add the midfielders and RW to add that genius that we're lacking in attack.

Judas

Open to offers
I prefer

How can you say that about Rashford, and then put Martial in your lineup?

jungledrums

How can you say that about Rashford, and then put Martial in your lineup?
Enough of the fecking tiresome comparisons of the two. They’re both united players, why does there seem to be a divide between those that like the two players?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
If we sign Dybala, it has to be to play centrally, whether that's the 4-2-3-1 (verging on a 4-2-4 even) we've played this pre-season, or a diamond with Dybala as the 10 and 2 of Rashford, Martial and Greenwood up top, with Pogba (or I guess Savic from Lazio if Pogba is off to Madrid) and a new shuttler on either side and McTominay holding, or perhaps McTominay as a shuttler and a new DM I guess.

My sense is he'd be a good signing in that we currently lack creativity and a player who knows how to come deeper, get onto the ball and hold it up and he's very good at that.
Is Dybala a creative player? Others are seriously downplaying his passing ability.

Womp

idiot
I prefer

What an odd comparison. He doesn't play anything like Nani.

Arka_BleedingRed

I haven't seen a lot of Dybala, but I'm suspicious of how good he actually is. Serie A followers are downplaying his talents whilst others, that i reckon haven't seen a lot other than highlights, are talking like he's Aguero.

The thing is the weaknesses that are being talked about make me think he'd be completely the wrong player to play behind the striker/in midfield for us. Lacks workrate, passing etc. If he was coming in to play more as a false 9/poacher with more technical players around him then that would be fine, but I'm sure Rashford will still be first choice up front, so i don't think that's the case.

Am I wrong? I still feel like we'd need to add the midfielders and RW to add that genius that we're lacking in attack.
Dybala is an elite level playmaker/goalscorer hybrid who has had a bad last season, partly due to Ronaldo being their new focal point. If Juve do sell him, all efforts should be made to bring him here, especially if Lukaku going to the other side is a possibility. Great vision and passing, good movement, sublime control of the ball he is better than Griezmann in the role behind the striker. But I seriously doubt Sarri would want to bring Lukaku into the team and sell Dybala.

Eddy_JukeZ

Is Dybala a creative player? Others are seriously downplaying his passing ability.
He's no Bernardo Silva if that's what you mean. He's not a wide attacker that drifts in.

Dybala shares similarities to Griezmann more than any other player off the top of my mind. Though Griezmann's work-rate is probably a bit better and he's perhaps more gifted physically.

He would be good/potentially great, if you played him behind/off a striker. He's best in central areas. He's a good goal-scorer(when he's employed in central areas), good technically and even good from set pieces too.

Rashford
Martial-Dybala-?
Pogba-McTominay

Could work.

Or you can go the diamond and use Dybala-Rashford up top and get Bruno to play behind them.

Eddy_JukeZ

I'm not the biggest Dybala fan, but I'd definitely do a Lukaku swap deal for Dybala if it was on the table.

VJ1762

I don't know about this signing. Where are our resident Juventus guys? They can probably give us a breakdown of why such a highly rated player is apparently a part of the Lukaku deal.

Man Utd traditionally never do well with Argie players anyway. Beckham became a national villain after the Simeone incident.When Fergie wanted Batistuta, Edwards apparently told him that he had no money. We all know how Veron turned out. Then there was Heinze who wanted to go to Liverpool. The most successful of them all, Tevez, ended up falling out and going to City. In recent years, we have had average to rubbish players like Romero and Rojo. Don't even get me started on Angel Di Maria.

So I am a bit skeptical on Dybala. I have observed that all our successful teams usually have a strong British core and two/three/four players from Europe. We never find those special players from South America.

Nr.7

As much as I like Dybala and the offer is tempting, I’m not really sure he is the type of player we need considering the style Ole wants. On top of that would he really love to join United?

Lovely player on his day, but I’d love to see us bring the right type of players in.

flappyjay

Not sure Dybala would work so well as a #10, he's more of a false #9, and recently a right mid/winger. If we used last season's diamond, he would work in the Lingard role. But in a 4-2-3-1, surely Bruno would be better?
It's what I am thinking too. If we move to the diamond then it makes other than that we would be shoehorning him into positions he is least effective in

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It just makes so so much sense. Get rid of Lukaku to stop shafting Rashford/Martial into a LW role that they shouldn’t and don’t want to play. Gets them playing their preferred role.

Swap our useless Lukaku for a player that can play a role that no one in our team can play as well as him. Closest is Mata and hes got nothing on Dybala.

Also it might cause Pogba to stay.

Pogba Scott
Greenwood Dybala Martial
Rashford

Scott
Pogba Fred
Dybala
Rashford Martial
The second formation is now so much more doable with proper wing backs in AWB/Dalot/Shaw. It’s also what Ole wants anyway. He wants our two best strikers playing as strikers together

Dybala is the missing puzzle piece. So much balance in our team with him in

Castia

As much as I like Dybala and the offer is tempting, I’m not really sure he is the type of player we need considering the style Ole wants. On top of that would he really love to join United?

Lovely player on his day, but I’d love to see us bring the right type of players in.
He could become a superstar here.

There’s room for Dybala to be the main main/face of United if he comes in and does well.

This could be an amazing piece of business if we get Dybala for Lukaku.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We don't deserve nice things.
We won't sign a better player this summer. Also allows us to play a number of formations.

Last edited:

Castia

Why would Juve take Lukaku for Dybala? Ronaldo won’t let that happen. They already have Higuain, Mandzukic..
Seems strange but it feels like a Juve have been flirting with the idea of selling Dybala all summer he’s been linked with a few clubs.

Lukaku is a decent goal scorer, let’s be honest in Serie A getting chances for Juventus he’s gonna score a ton of goals, they might be looking for more of a goal threat rather than the false 9/wide type of player Dybala is currently playing as.

If given the chance I’m guessing they’d love to ditch Higuain and Mandzukic

Fer

Dybala could be the perfect fit for the 4231 system we have been playing. He would be great behind Rashford/Martial.

Just curious... Would you prefer Dybala as CAM instead of Fernandes, Maddison, Havertz or Eriksen?

Fer

I wanted Rodri or Barella. The latter could have been great in a midfield of 2 for us.

If I consider the available alternatives, I would take a closer look to someone like Ndidi, Gueye, Rice, Tonali, Neves, Berge, Weigl, etc. Any of them would be better than Matic. It depends on what Ole wants. I'm not sure if he wants a destroyer or a deep-lying playmaker (someone similar to Pjanic/Thiago/..)

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Dybala's best positions with us would be either as Rashy cover/competitor as a lone striker or as his partner in a 4-4-2 system (narrow)

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Dybala could be the perfect fit for the 4231 system we have been playing. He would be great behind Rashford/Martial.
Even though a lot of posters in this thread are putting him in the attacking midfielder position, Dybala is not a typical #10 for a 4-2-3-1 — he's more of a 9½ withdrawn forward (like Griezmann but without the defensive draft). A double pivot midfield with Pogba is defensively shallow over the course of a season because he's not a stereotypical central midfielder with regard to defensive positioning and workrate, and adding Dybala to the equation at the attacking midfielder position will limit both players (on top of being structurally brittle).

If you consider Dybala when he evidenced some of his performances (like vs. Barcelona in the Champions League), he was pretty much a support striker alongside (or slightly behind) Higuaín, with Mandzukić putting in a shift on the left flank (and sometimes arriving into the box) and Pjanić/Khedira playing in conservative roles as the DLP + defensive/box-to-box midfielder coupling:
https://spielverlagerung.com/2017/0...ing_wp_cron=1564205866.2880189418792724609375

United will find it easier to accommodate a more traditional attacking midfielder in the current 4-2-3-1 — and Dybala isn't one (for added context: Allegri initially forced him to play deeper at Juventus but that was grave misjudgment and Dybala's performances declined considerably, so there's already a precedent). To get the best out of Dybala there are only 3 options, IMO:
  • Diamond or 523/532 with Dybala as the SS (not the #10), but we don't have the wingbacks for that setup.
  • 4-3-3 with Dybala as the center forward (not striker but a False 9 of sorts).
  • 4-4-2 with Dybala as the support striker, but this won't be ideal if we use Pogba as a central midfielder.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Even though a lot of posters in this thread are putting him in the attacking midfielder position, Dybala is not a typical #10 for a 4-2-3-1 — he's more of a 9½ withdrawn forward (like Griezmann but without the defensive draft). A double pivot midfield with Pogba is defensively shallow over the course of a season because he's not a stereotypical central midfielder with regard to defensive positioning and workrate, and adding Dybala to the equation at the attacking midfielder position will limit both players (on top of being structurally brittle).

If you consider Dybala when he evidenced some of his performances (like vs. Barcelona in the Champions League), he was pretty much a support striker alongside (or slightly behind) Higuaín, with Mandzukić putting in a shift on the left flank (and sometimes arriving into the box) and Pjanić/Khedira playing in conservative roles as the DLP + defensive/box-to-box midfielder coupling:
https://spielverlagerung.com/2017/0...ing_wp_cron=1564205866.2880189418792724609375

United will find it easier to accommodate a more traditional attacking midfielder in the current 4-2-3-1 — and Dybala isn't one (for added context: Allegri initially forced him to play deeper at Juventus but that was grave misjudgment and Dybala's performances declined considerably, so there's already a precedent). To get the best out of Dybala there are only 3 options, IMO:
  • Diamond or 523/532 with Dybala as the SS (not the #10), but we don't have the wingbacks for that setup.
  • 4-3-3 with Dybala as the center forward (not striker but a False 9 of sorts).
  • 4-4-2 with Dybala as the support striker, but this won't be ideal if we use Pogba as a central midfielder.
I agree wholeheartedly

Nr.7

He could become a superstar here.

There’s room for Dybala to be the main main/face of United if he comes in and does well.

This could be an amazing piece of business if we get Dybala for Lukaku.
Yes, he could. Like I said, I’m not sure.
He is a quality player, but is he suited to thrive in the PL and in a team that Ole is trying to build?

Let me put it this way,
When you’re thinking of us buying players for a high-pressing, fluid counter-attacking team, was Dybala on that list (before we were linked to him)?

He would 100% be an upgrade on Lukaku though.

Status
Not open for further replies.