Paulo Dybala

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think something like the formation below might be the best way to incorporate Dybala into the side, provided that we do end up signing him. If we use him as a False 9, we can then probably play both Martial and Rashford, with Martial starting centrally and moving left (à la Henry) and Rashford starting slightly out wide to the right but making runs in between the LB and the LCB. Pogba tends to favour attacking down the left side I think, and we can use him to link up with Martial. Unfortunately, our right side figures to be significantly weaker than our left side given how Rashford will spend most of his time making central movements in attack; if AWB doesn't show much attacking prowess, it's hard to envisage how the team will create chances from out on the right. Another possible problem is who to pair with McTominay in midfield, given that Matic looks past his best, although this is more of a personnel problem than a tactical problem. Likewise, I am uncertain of who to pair with Lindelof, given that our other CB options don't exactly fill me with the greatest of confidence. Regardless, given Pogba's defensive lapses and the fact that Dybala isn't exactly a renowned defender from the front, this formation will only really succeed provided that we do find defensively-sound partners for both McTominay and Lindelof.

So much for symmetry being the basis for a good team! That's all over the place!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's funny how people absolutely lap up hype but when it blows over they suddenly think it's the worst move ever and want the latest hyped up player.

Walters_19_MuFc

I prefer
---------------- Martial ------------------
--- James ------ Bruno --------- Dybala ---

Rashford is extremely over-rated.... The guy is a poor man's Nani. I would even rate Greenwood higher than Rashford in terms of talent.
Personally, I cant see us buying a CAM and right winger.

Even though a lot of posters in this thread are putting him in the attacking midfielder position, Dybala is not a typical #10 for a 4-2-3-1 — he's more of a 9½ withdrawn forward (like Griezmann but without the defensive draft). A double pivot midfield with Pogba is defensively shallow over the course of a season because he's not a stereotypical central midfielder with regard to defensive positioning and workrate, and adding Dybala to the equation at the attacking midfielder position will limit both players (on top of being structurally brittle).

If you consider Dybala when he evidenced some of his performances (like vs. Barcelona in the Champions League), he was pretty much a support striker alongside (or slightly behind) Higuaín, with Mandzukić putting in a shift on the left flank (and sometimes arriving into the box) and Pjanić/Khedira playing in conservative roles as the DLP + defensive/box-to-box midfielder coupling:

https://spielverlagerung.com/2017/0...ing_wp_cron=1564205866.2880189418792724609375

United will find it easier to accommodate a more traditional attacking midfielder in the current 4-2-3-1 — and Dybala isn't one (for added context: Allegri initially forced him to play deeper at Juventus but that was grave misjudgment and Dybala's performances declined considerably, so there's already a precedent). To get the best out of Dybala there are only 3 options, IMO:
  • Diamond or 523/532 with Dybala as the SS (not the #10), but we don't have the wingbacks for that setup.
  • 4-3-3 with Dybala as the center forward (not striker but a False 9 of sorts).
  • 4-4-2 with Dybala as the support striker, but this won't be ideal if we use Pogba as a central midfielder.
I agree with what you said about Pogba and Dybala being defensively shallow, however with some minor changes, it could work.

I will use France as an example because Pogba played in centre midfield, with Griezmann above him. To balance this out, as you know, Deschamps went with more of a traditional wide midfielder in Matuidi on one side to help out with the pivot of Kante and Pogba. They would then break in a 433, with Griezmann finding one of the wide areas.

I don't see why we couldn't do that with Dybala.

Martial
Fred Dybala Greenwood
McTominay Pogba
Shaw Maguire Lindelof Wan-Bissaka
De Gea

adamwest

This ain’t happening lads. No source just using good old logic and realism.

Fer

Dybala would be great. But it seems that we are going to spend the same amount of money for Milenkovic-Savic.

Also, I can see Lukaku going to Inter instead of Juventus. So I doubt we swap Lukaku for Dybala.

Spurs play 4312, so Dybala could fit in Pochettino's system better than ours. Let's see if they have the money to sign him.

Walters_19_MuFc

Fixed it for you.
Fernandes is a very good shout on the left. Not only has he got the energy to go from box to box down the left, he can also come inside and create a three man midfield.

In regards to Gomes, if we were going to break in a three, then he's not the type of player i'd use on the right.

Walters_19_MuFc

Dybala would be great. But it seems that we are going to spend the same amount of money for Milenkovic-Savic.

Also, I can see Lukaku going to Inter instead of Juventus. So I doubt we swap Lukaku for Dybala.

Spurs play 4312, so Dybala could fit in Pochettino's system better than ours. Let's see if they have the money to sign him.
Son and Kane will be the starters for Spurs up top. They also have Lucas to come if/when needed.

They need an attacking midfielder and centre midfielder before a forward, in my opinion.

Fer

Son and Kane will be the starters for Spurs up top. They also have Lucas to come if/when needed.

They need an attacking midfielder and centre midfielder before a forward, in my opinion.
You are right, they don't need Dybala if Son and Kane are going to be starters.

They have Eriksen and Alli, that's why I thought they didn't need a new attacking midfielder. Also, they just bought N'Domebele for the CM position.

IMO they need fullbacks and a top CDM. But I may be wrong.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
So Lukaku and his agent are currently at Inter. Where us the wheels on this Dybala move?

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
You are right, they don't need Dybala if Son and Kane are going to be starters.

They have Eriksen and Alli, that's why I thought they didn't need a new attacking midfielder. Also, they just bought N'Domebele for the CM position.

IMO they need fullbacks and a top CDM. But I may be wrong.
I agree on the point of fullbacks. However, we definitely do need more quality players in the squad. Last season we really needed Llorente and his contribution so we can't just think of a best 11 situation. Alli might also benefit from a kick up the butt, and not be a permanent starter, Eriksen might leave/sign a pre-contract in January and lose form.

Any team who want to battle on multiple fronts need more quality, and if (big if) we have the opportunity to sign Dybala for a good price we should do it 100% imo.

bonothom

Wouldn"t want Dybala but if its a swap for Lukaku then I would probably take it.

manuchamp88

Fernandes is a very good shout on the left. Not only has he got the energy to go from box to box down the left, he can also come inside and create a three man midfield.

In regards to Gomes, if we were going to break in a three, then he's not the type of player i'd use on the right.
Re Fernandes - exactly.

Who would you pick on the right apart from Greenwood? For me, he would do better as an out and out striker.

Giggsy13

I'm not sure he'd suit the Premier league to be honest.
Why, because he's not necessarily big in stature and South American? city have more than a few players who meet that description but they seem to be doing OK.

Last edited:

reddevil80

Yeah I feel this. I'm worried he's a poor mans Aguero in terms of less speed and less on the ball strength. Also, I think to bring in a player with no real desire to be here shows we really haven't changed our strategy. Countering this, I don't see any obvious striker options reasonably attainable. I'd actually pump for Vardy for a season (and spend the Lukaku money on the right-wing) as his speed would really open spaces for the others. I'm hoping a season from now Greenwood might be ready to step up?
Agreed, Greenwood has an amazing future, as does Gomes but they definitely need more experience. Vardy has always caught my eye and, as you say, even one season with him would be beneficial, especially to the youngsters. We have just got a 16 year old from Ajax who is an attacker so having Vardy alongside Rashford would be an incredible incentive for all involved.

Andersonson

Hang on, Dybala only has arguably the best player in history to compete with in his position.

And he has 24 caps at 25, to Mata's 41 caps at 6 years older...
Even games when Messi doesnt play, Dybala is benched. But he has alot of players to compete with. Better players mind.

Mata has 46 caps for a Nation who won WC and Euro. A far far better side during his prime years

rojo81

Supports
Juventus
I don't know if dybala is for sale, I hope not. But this swap between dybala and lukaku is nonsense. First, there is no way juve value more lukaku than dybala. And second, juve has no use for lukaku.

He doesn't fit sarri system at all and we have Ronaldo, Higuaín , Mandzukic and Kean as strikers. We are looking to offload one or two of those. I don't see how lukaku fits the team. If the rumours are true, it will be one of the worst deals juve has done in a long time.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I won't pretend to be an expert or anything but from what I've seen of him, he seems inconsistent. He'd fit right into our team.

WireMUFC

Rashford

Martial Fernandes Dybala

Mctominay Pogba

Shaw Maguire Lindelof AWB

De Gea

Hardest working team in the prem.

Zed 101

Rashford

Martial Fernandes Dybala

Mctominay Pogba

Shaw Maguire Lindelof AWB

De Gea

Hardest working team in the prem.
Including Pogba just imagine how hard working it would be with a midfielder who doesn't walk around half arseing it!

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs

We mostly play 4-2-3-1, so it's Kane who leads the line, not Son and Kane.

In this system Son plays as part of an attacking 3 behind Kane, a three drawn from some combination of Son, Eriksen, Alli, Moura and Lamela.

Dybala, if he joined Spurs, would be a 6th member of this 'attacking three' set of options. It would be a flexible group in which:
  • Dybala or Son (or to some extent Moura) could also play instead of Kane as the main forward if Kane was rested or otherwise unavailable.
  • Both Eriksen and Alli can play deeper in CM if needed.

passing-wind

I'd take Dybala as a Lukaku replacement irrespective of a swap deal. He's technically sound and proficient with his movement. I don't think it's the worst thing in the world he lost form when Ronaldo came in, just like his lack of sufficiency for Argentina I think it's more tactical anomalies as opposed to his capabilities.

His national team has a generational talent and now he's witnessed the same with his domestic team. I can see Dybala thriving with the movement around him in Rashford, Martial, James and Pogba feeding him balls to come short or let him in behind.

Walters_19_MuFc

We mostly play 4-2-3-1, so it's Kane who leads the line, not Son and Kane.

In this system Son plays as part of an attacking 3 behind Kane, a three drawn from some combination of Son, Eriksen, Alli, Moura and Lamela.

Dybala, if he joined Spurs, would be a 6th member of this 'attacking three' set of options. It would be a flexible group in which:
  • Dybala or Son (or to some extent Moura) could also play instead of Kane as the main forward if Kane was rested or otherwise unavailable.
  • Both Eriksen and Alli can play deeper in CM if needed.
I was talking about if/when you play a diamond, which is what Poch has played during pre season.

Chuck_B

According to Sky in Italy, he wants to stay in Turin. Shock horror!

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Wants to stay at Juve. That should be the end of it for us - hopefully we've learned from the di Maria situation that it's not a good idea to bring in big name players who don't want to be here.

Fıstıkçı Şahap

Not what we need, the player doesn't want to move, makes little to no sense so what's not to like? Perfect transfer for the club & Ed.

Ranchero

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/19/man-...-transfer-deal-unlikely-two-reasons-10428512/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-utd-transfer-gossip-red-18359010

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/792894/Man-Utd-transfer-news-gossip-Paulo-Dybala-Juventus

If he’s available for around the same or less that Lukaku then surely we should go in for Dybala ? As long as Ronaldo is at Juve then Dybala will never be the main man and he’d be behind Mbappe at PSG whereas here he’d be the main man alongside his friend Pogba.
More blah blah blah with little substance.

RooneyLegend

Crazy that some people would not want us to sign Dybala! The guy is class, a massive upgrade on Lukaku albeit a very different player.
People are crazy. We regularly play Lingard in his position ffs. Amazing what 1 mediocre season can do to a players reputation. Theis man can ball, its that simple. Messi has fitted into the best pressing side of the past decade, he'd fit in himself. Rashford and Martial have the dynamism to compensate for his inability in wide areas.

Jacob

Been told by Serie A watchers that he's lazy af. One of them said lazier than Martial, that's when I knew how serious it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.