Paulo Henrique "Ganso"

jb8521

Ferguson intent pushes City closer to Samba wonderkid 18 May 2010 - 10:15 | Sport.co.uk

Manchester City and Manchester United are both competing with Real Madrid in the race for Santos’ precocious youngster Paulo Henrique. The 20-year-old, nicknamed ‘Ganso’ (The Goose), was recently placed on Carlos Dunga’s standby list for the World Cup finals and although Roberto Mancini has first refusal on the attacking midfielder likened to Kaka, Real Madrid and Manchester United are reportedly on the verge of bidding for the player which would press the cash-rich Eastlands side into early action.

According to reports in Spain, Real Madrid have earmarked the Brazil Under-20 star as the long-term successor to the departing Guti, and although Manchester City have first refusal as part of the loan deal that saw Robinho return to Santos in January, Roberto Mancini had not planned on moving for the starlet at this juncture. Henrique’s form for highflying Santos has also alerted Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson, who like Real Madrid, is eager to register his interest with an early bid. Spanish daily AS, claim both Real Madrid and Manchester United are likely to move for the player this summer, some 12-months earlier than Manchester City had intended.

The players eye-catching yet mature performances for Santos this season has seen the Brazilian media pander for his inclusion in Dunga’s final World Cup squad, but he is currently amongst seven players on standby. Real Madrid and Manchester United scouts have attended many of the midfielder’s games this season, while Manchester City have kept a close eye on him and his teammate Neymar. City currently hold the upper hand due to their agreement with Santos, and may decide to include the player should the Brazilian side try and make Robinho’s loan deal a permanent one.

Despite interest from Premier League rivals Manchester City and Manchester United, the youngster suggested he was happy to remain at Santos despite being honoured by Real Madrid’s overtures.

The 20-year-old starlet told the Brazilian media: “I am excited to learn of Real Madrid's interest in me, but I am not thinking about leaving Santos,"

"I hope to be able to continue with Santos and learn from every game."