Pele has passed away

space

Rest in Peace King, Icon, Legend - thank you for making the beautiful game even more wonderful

dinostar77

Before my time, him and garrincha (brasil never lost a game in which they both started). I guess we'll see some tribute shows about him on tv.

An older generation will truly appreciate him. Myself, im the romario / R9 / Ronaldinho generation.

His record of being the only player in world football ever to lift the WC three times will remain unmatched and unbroken for a good while yet.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
I was going to bring up this video. How old must Diego and Pele been there ? They made that look so effortless. Professionals in their prime would struggle to keep it going for as long as they did with so little movement. Top top class and a testament that he had a natural ability.
It's an argentinian TV show, and Maradona wasn't fat yet...so i would say 90s ,as Maradona issues with his weight started in the early 2000s when he was already retired from football, and in the mid 90s he was playing in argentinian football.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
This is a really good tribute from Neymar

Before Pelé, “10” was just a number. I’ve read this phrase somewhere, at some point in my life. But this sentence, beautiful, is incomplete. I would say before Pelé football was just a sport. Pelé has changed it all. He turned football into art, into entertainment He gave voice to the poor, to the blacks and especially: He gave visibility to Brazil. Soccer and Brazil have raised their status thanks to the King! He’s gone but his magic remains. Pelé is FOREVER!!
What a beauty. Better words to explain what I feel, that whether he was the GOAT or not as a player, he sure was the GOAT in his influence over the game and its global appeal.

Thanks for sharing.

dinostar77

This is pretty fecking cool.
Wow. What a video. I didnt know any of that. Sigh...i really need to see more footage of the guy. That video makes him seem the incredible player that an older generation adore.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
It's an argentinian TV show, and Maradona wasn't fat yet...so i would say 90s ,as Maradona issues with his weight started in the early 2000s when he was already retired from football, and in the mid 90s he was playing in argentinian football.
In 1995/96 or so he was already a beach ball, this is after his second gastric bypass I think.

The show is from 2005 and Pelé was 65!

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Without him the game wouldn't be what it is today, the rest is history.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I can imagine the whole nation is in mourning now. A god in their eyes and rightly so considering what he did for his Country as well as football.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Come to think of it pele,Diego,cryuff, Muller... all gone.

It feels as if you lose a piece of yourself seeing all these all timers that have sone so so much for football gone.
They represented a simpler more passionate era of football and now every time one of them calls it a day some of that passion goes away as well.

Whether he is the greatest player ever is up for debate, whether he has the greatest legacy is not. An absolute icon that transcends sport.

RedDevilQuebecois

Trailblazer, Icon, Legend, King, GOAT.

Pelé was my father's favorite player with very good reasons. During my father's childhood through his late teens, he saw those highlights from Pelé in those World Cups and then in live matches on then-new color TV in 1970. As for myself, I watched all of those video clips and documentaries. Pelé would definitely be a very top player in any decade as he did so many things long before others emulated them; that is why he is the ultimate trailblazer of the beautiful game to me.

Rest in Power, Pelé.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I watched a video recently with some excellent footage I’d never seen before. It was basically a compilation of moves, from that wraparound heel kick Neymar does, to the Cruyff turn… and then footage of Pele doing it first in the 50’s and 60’s . Pretty good stuff.

RIP

Bondi77

Never seen him play but his record speaks for itself....RIP Legend.

lex talionis

The GOAT is at peace.

Pele rise to eternal fame at the same time as two other legends who transcended mere sport: Muhammad Ali and Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

kirk buttercup

I grew up idolising him and Best I tried my best to play like them ( but ended up nothing like them ) they were my idols , my Ronaldos and Messi . I happend to know I guy who played against Pele when I was a kid in Australia he owned a sports shop where I bought boots, I listened with such amazement when he described meeting the greatest of all time . My love of the game grew from there.

R.I.P to my hero

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Another great figure leaves us and unfortunately for people my age a lot our heroes are from the older generation and they are leaving us. I was 14 when I went to see his last match he ever played in and I remember so vividly him pleading to the crowd about love. It was moving. RIP

wangyu

The greatest athlete of all time? He is on the shortlist for sure.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
RIP.

Changed the game on so many levels.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
A beutiful and heartfelt Picture shared by his daughter.

Also a great Article by not with many iconic pictures conveying just how much of an icon he was.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Sad news even though expected. Pele was my first football hero who was not a United player.
A genius of a player.
Rest in Peace Pele.