Penalty taker - Ole needs to pick his men

Who should take our penalties?

• Total voters

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I am not the one saying it is going to cost us Champions League like some of the fans on here.

I too am frustrated that we didn't score a Penalty but I wouldn't crucify someone for missing a penalty saying ohh now you have cost us Champions League 2 games into a season.

Its 38 games, believe it or not Pogba will win us points.
He was leading scorer last season, no?

Foxbatt

Let me tell you that we were 3-0 up by half time and playing extremely well and got a penalty around the 62nd minute mark. The Captain was on a hat trick and could have and should have taken and the whole stadium was screaming for him to take and 9 times out of 10 he would have scored but since there was a dedicated penalty taker he gave the ball to the dedicated penalty taker, who scored to make it 4-0. This was history in the making and if the Robbo had scored he would have been the first player to score a wembley FA Cup Final hattrick since Stan Mortensen. He was the Captain and he had all the right to take it too and especially being on a hat trick no one would say anything even if he missed it. This is Captaincy. These are the kinds of players who took United to the top.

Rista

The way Pogba takes penalties, it seems he very much relies on luck and will always be inconsistent. Wouldn't have him as one of the designated takers personally.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Well It obviously doesn’t bother you but nearly everyone where I was watching it wasn’t happy.

No, but he did and his success rate is poor so obviously merits discussion.
But why? I haven't seen a credible reason to suggest why it’s such an issue.

Most of our penalty takers have had a shite success rate for the last 15 years. In fact, I don’t think Pogba’s is that bad compared to what we’ve had in the past.

Crimson King

This whole thing just feels like mountains and molehills. Even the guardian have chimed in with an article this morning.

I wish Neville had just kept his fecking mouth shut. We're two games into the season, and after beating Chelsea and being unlucky not to beat a very good Wolves team on their own patch, all you can see in the media is Ole's leadership being questioned by people who probably couldn't lead a conga line properly!

Well done guys, let's just buy in to it and undermine what has so far been a relatively positive start to the season. Best fans in the world...

Rauður Djöfull

Solskjær needs to make it clear from now on to the team who is penalty taker, and it should be Rashford so far, he has not missed on yet, why not let him have a go at it for now.

Gator Nate

Yeah, i agree with a system with more penalty takers.
A player who has been playing well, will have confidence to score, while someone who had a few misses, might not.

I do think Rashford should be nr 1, but have no problem with Pogba on pens either, had he scored noone would even think about this.
Agreed, though I think it should be Rashford or Martial, not Pogba. To make a decision beforehand doesn't take into account the hot foot, the feel of the game, or whatnot.

I think after yesterday it should be Rashford but I do think the media/everyone else is making this a much bigger deal than it should be. Ole, Pogba and Rashford were all seemingly confident and comfortable having Pogba take it yesterday after he earned it. He missed, it happens.

If Rashford took it and missed you'd have people moaning that Pogba won the penalty and looked confident so he should have taken it.
This too. And if Ole decides on one beforehand, there will be screams that it should be someone else, no matter who. No matter what, every missed pen will get a second-guessing. Every. Single. Time.

Bondi77

It should be either Rashford or Martial or even Mata if he is on the pitch and definitely not Pogba.
When it comes to free kicks it should be Andreas or Mata or Rash if it is a realistic angle and distance; I maybe wrong but I do not recall Pogba scoring directly from a set piece for us at all.

fergiesarmy1

But why? I haven't seen a credible reason to suggest why it’s such an issue.

Most of our penalty takers have had a shite success rate for the last 15 years. In fact, I don’t think Pogba’s is that bad compared to what we’ve had in the past.
I can’t think of a credible reason why the penalty taker isn’t nominated before they step foot on the pitch so we are at an impasse there.

He has the 6th worst record in premier league history so it’s the worst we have ever had.

ivaldo

I can’t think of a credible reason why the penalty taker isn’t nominated before they step foot on the pitch so we are at an impasse there.

He has the 6th worst record in premier league history so it’s the worst we have ever had.
You didn't answer the question, or am I to assume you don't have a reason?

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Why has my question gone unanswered? I want to vote for the option that i am not fussed regardless of who takes it either Pogba or Rashford. Why is that option not available? The poll as it stands is not fit for purpose.

This debate over a penalty is silly. Pogba converted how many penalties for us last season? As long as Phil Jones isn't stepping up, i mean come on.

I am more concerned over our lack of midfield or Lingard being in the 10 position than whether Pogba or Rashford take a penalty for us.

fergiesarmy1

You didn't answer the question, or am I to assume you don't have a reason?
For not knowing who is going to take the penalty? It looks unorganised, unprofessional, adds pressure to the guy who takes it, causes arguments amongst fans of the same team, unleashes the trolls when it goes wrong as apparent in the racism thread.

So I have a few reasons as to why I think the penalty taker should be nominated prior to kick off, what reason do you think they shouldn’t be?

romufc

Why has my question gone unanswered? I want to vote for the option that i am not fussed regardless of who takes it either Pogba or Rashford. Why is that option not available?

This debate over a penalty is silly. Pogba converted how many penalties for us last season? As long as Phil Jones isn't stepping up, i mean come on.

I am more concerned over our lack of midfield or Lingard being in the 10 position than whoever decides to take a penalty for us.

This is so pathetic. Some fans are acting as if Pogba cannot take a penalty. This was the first time Pogba's miss has cost us points.

Rashford has only just started taking penalties, with that comes unpredictability.

Pogba was designated penalty taker last season, Rashford took it in PSG because Pogba was not on the pitch and 2 for England over the summer.

It has been blown out of proportion, I am sure there will be a time Rashford will miss a penalty. Get over it.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Why does it? Pogba and Rashford are the two takers. Whoever was confident of scoring at the time takes the penalty. There was no argument, no debate. It took all of 5 seconds. It’s only an issue because he missed. Would this thread exist if he scored?
Of course it wouldn't exist, just like it didn't exist after last week under the exact same circumstances. Actually it was worse last week because Rashford has never taken a penalty for us whilst Pogba has been on the pitch. That was unprecedented. Yet he scored so it's okay, there wasn't even a peep from Neville or anyone else.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
This is so pathetic. Some fans are acting as if Pogba cannot take a penalty. This was the first time Pogba's miss has cost us points.

Rashford has only just started taking penalties, with that comes unpredictability.

Pogba was designated penalty taker last season, Rashford took it in PSG because Pogba was not on the pitch and 2 for England over the summer.

It has been blown out of proportion, I am sure there will be a time Rashford will miss a penalty. Get over it.
Exactly, what happens when Rashford misses one and it costs us... Character assassination, witchhunt in the media time? Surely people can see how silly all of this is?

Ole has spoken, said he is fine with this arrangement, players are fine, so what is the actual problem here?

romufc

Exactly, what happens when Rashford misses one and it costs us... Character assassination, witchhunt in the media time? Surely people can see how silly all of this is?
All this is because it is Pogba. There seems to be some sort of agenda against Pogba.

We are driving this lad away from the club, can we not see he is the most talented player we have. The way he won the penalty, no United player is capable of having such good ball control in tight spaces.

Why can't we get behind him and show him our support? Pogba can be the best Mid in the league.

fergiesarmy1

92% seem to want Rashford to be taking them from now on so not entirely silly more like common sense going forward.

Surely after missing 4 of his last 10 penalties you don’t think he should continue taking them? If so is there a point at which even you think he shouldn’t?

ivaldo

For not knowing who is going to take the penalty? It looks unorganised, unprofessional, adds pressure to the guy who takes it, causes arguments amongst fans of the same team, unleashes the trolls when it goes wrong as apparent in the racism thread.

So I have a few reasons as to why I think the penalty taker should be nominated prior to kick off, what reason do you think they shouldn’t be?
The discussion took less than 5 seconds, nobody appeared confused by it.
Unprofessional? How?
It added no additional pressure.
It caused no argument.
Our fans argue about everything? You've got heated debates going on ahead how best to build a fecking wall.
It doesn't take a 5 second conversation to bring the trolls out, which is why this is the 3rd instance of it within a week.

So no, no credible reason. I don't need one because I'm not making the point a single penalty taker must be decided upon before kickoff. When there is no clearly superior taker in the team, two players briefly discussing who is most up for it at that particular time isn't an issue. It makes no difference. The only reason why this thread exists is because he missed.

John Blund

Of course it wouldn't exist, just like it didn't exist after last week under the exact same circumstances. Actually it was worse last week because Rashford has never taken a penalty for us whilst Pogba has been on the pitch. That was unprecedented, yet he scored, so there wasn't even a peep from Neville or anyone else.
Other clubs have penalty-takers with 85 + conversion rate, I don't see why we should settle with sub 70 %. Also, research shows that it's better to have ONE designated penalty taker.

https://instatsport.com/football/article/penalty_research

romufc

Unprofessional? How?
It caused no argument.
Our fans argue about everything? You've got heated debates going on ahead how best to build a fecking wall.
It doesn't take a 5 second conversation to bring the trolls out.

So no, no credible reason. I don't need one because I'm not making the point a single penalty taker must be decided upon before kickoff. When there is no clearly superior taker in the team, two players briefly discussing who is most up for it at that particular time isn't an issue. It makes no difference. The only reason why this thread exists is because he missed.

Believe me if this was the other way round, fans on here would still find a way to criticise Pogba.

fergiesarmy1

Unprofessional? How?
It caused no argument.
It doesn't take a 5 second conversation to bring the trolls out.

In the pub it looked like arguing, in the stands it looked like arguing, in the studios it looked like arguing.

Just nominate your penalty taker, been following united and watching football for 30 odd years why do we have to be different.

fergiesarmy1

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
92% seem to want Rashford to be taking them from now on so not entirely silly more like common sense going forward.

Surely after missing 4 of his last 10 penalties you don’t think he should continue taking them? If so is there a point at which even you think he shouldn’t?
I think penalties are inherently luck based, so you are bound to miss a few. You need to be careful about being results-orientated. Also, no-one wants to give credit to a goalkeeper making a good save it seems. It was a good save by Patricio.

Pogba's technique striking the ball is consistently superb, his mentality is generally solid, he never wilts under pressure so I really don't see why such a big deal is being made of it. He has all the qualities to be a excellent pk taker.

I certainly don't see why 92% want Rashford to take over. Pogba isn't bad at all.

fergiesarmy1

I think penalties are inherently luck based, so you are bound to miss a few. No-one wants to give credit to a goalkeeper making a good save it seems. You need to be careful about being results-orientated.

Pogba's technique striking the ball is consistently superb, his mentality is generally solid, he never wilts under pressure so I really don't see why such a big deal is being made of it. He has all the qualities to be a excellent pk taker.

I certainly don't see why 92% want Rashford to take over. Pogba isn't bad at all.
Just the sixth worst in premier league history.

fps

To be clear, because some posters want to stir things up, Pogba isn't being criticised here. The system which is in place in terms of penalty takers is being criticised.

ivaldo

In the pub it looked like arguing, in the stands it looked like arguing, in the studios it looked like arguing.

Just nominate your penalty taker, been following united and watching football for 30 odd years why do we have to be different.
So we should decide who the penalty taker is purely to appease the spectators and pundits irrational logic as opposed to what the management and the players think is best? Do you have the same issue when it comes to free kicks? Because, almost invariably, clubs will have different players taking free kicks from almost identical positions unless there is a clearly superior FK taker.

This is no different to the whole zonal marking debate we had a few years ago. The pundits highlight every goal that's conceded when zonal marking and criticizes the tactics. The ex pros and column writers who can't get a job in football always marked like that so why shouldn't it continue? But a goal is conceded while man marking it's all of a sudden an individual error, and not the system. It doesn't matter that every team in the league now defends using some from of zonal marking. Zonal marking was inherently bad.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Just the sixth worst in premier league history.
Who cares? That's being results orientated. He has taken 13 penalties, he also has cut out the slow run-up which he must think has contributed to his misses.

I'll say it again, Pogba possesses all the qualities to be an excellent pk taker. When the pressure is on, who does our team turn to, to provide the guidance? Pogba. Shouldn't the top player in your team generally take the pressure penalty?

He has excellent technique, always puts himself forward, never shirks under pressure, so any crucial penalty we get in the future, i will be perfectly content to back Pogba to score it.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
To be clear, because some posters want to stir things up, Pogba isn't being criticised here. The system which is in place in terms of penalty takers is being criticised.
Why is the system being criticised in the first place? It wasn't being criticised last week when the team benefited from the same system and Rashford scored his penalty. Pogba was our pk taker last season, Rashford had never taken a pk for us whilst Pogba was on the pitch. He came out after the match and explained the system himself. Don't you find that strange? Isn't that being results orientated?

Ole has since spoken and said he is perfectly happy with this system, the players are happy, so why is it a problem? Are people questioning Ole's judgement and think they know best?

fps

I'll say it again, Pogba possesses all the qualities to be an excellent pk taker. When the pressure is on, who does our team turn to, to provide the guidance? Pogba. Shouldn't the top player in your team generally take the pressure penalty?
No, the top penalty taker in your team should take the pressure penalty. Stats show that's Rashford, or Martial.

fps

Why is the system being criticised in the first place? It wasn't being criticised last week when the team benefited from the same system and Rashford scored his penalty. Rashford came out after the match and explained the system himself. Don't you find that strange? Isn't that being results orientated?

Ole has since spoken and said he is perfectly happy with this system, the players are happy, so why is it a problem? Are people questioning Ole's judgement and think they know best?
I don't think anyone realised there was a system last week. Rashford also scored the penalty and is the club's best penalty taker statistically. Additionally, it's not really a system - if you think about it, each time it's just been the player nearest the ball who's picked it up and then taken the penalty. Both players will want to take the penalty, so there is no system here, it's not fit for purpose.