Penalty taker - Ole needs to pick his men

Who should take our penalties?

• Total voters

fergiesarmy1

Who cares? That's being results orientated. He has taken 13 penalties, he also has cut out the slow run-up which he must think has contributed to his misses.

I'll say it again, Pogba possesses all the qualities to be an excellent pk taker. When the pressure is on, who does our team turn to, to provide the guidance? Pogba. Shouldn't the top player in your team generally take the pressure penalty?

He has excellent technique, always puts himself forward, never shirks under pressure, so any crucial penalty we get in the future, i will be perfectly content to back Pogba to score it.
It’s a different argument but I think there is a selfishness reason for him wanting to take them, it makes his stats look a lot more impressive on paper. People say he had a good season last year because he scored 13 goals, takeaway those penalties and 5 goals doesn’t look anywhere near as impressive.

Also I’ve always preferred strikers to take penalties, I’d rather have the guys up top where we expect the goals to be coming from having the feeling of scoring more regularly for confidence and continuity. RVN was a beast because that’s all he cared about is scoring goals and that’s what you need from a united striker if we are going to become successful again. I’d rather see Rashford and Martial fighting for the right to take a penalty if we are going to continue with the farce of deciding on the pitch.

romufc

No, the top penalty taker in your team should take the pressure penalty. Stats show that's Rashford, or Martial.
Oh yes let us judge it on someone who has taken 2 penalties for Manutd.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
No, the top penalty taker in your team should take the pressure penalty. Stats show that's Rashford, or Martial.
If we interpret those stats in the same way as you then Rashford and Martial are better penalty takers than Irwin. Come to think of it, so am I

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Rashford has taken 2 penalties for us, whilst Martial has taken 6. Is that a valid sample size to categorically state someone is overwhelmingly better? It doesn't stand up to logic and you know it.

You give the penalty to your main man. Simple.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I don't think anyone realised there was a system last week. Rashford also scored the penalty and is the club's best penalty taker statistically. Additionally, it's not really a system - if you think about it, each time it's just been the player nearest the ball who's picked it up and then taken the penalty. Both players will want to take the penalty, so there is no system here, it's not fit for purpose.
No-one on the site watches the post match interviews then? The reporter asked Rashford straight away why he took the penalty and he explained it clear as day. Rashford being the 'clubs best penalty taker statically' is mental when he has only taken 2 penalties for us. Why are you taking that seriously?

No that is not true at all. There is a system. Rashford & Ole have both explained that whoever wins the penalty is free to take it. Whoever feels the most comfortable at that time.

fergiesarmy1

Rashford has taken 2 penalties for us, whilst Martial has taken 6. Is that a valid sample size to categorically state someone is overwhelmingly better? It doesn't stand up to logic and you know it.

The one that is missing nearly as often as he is scoring them? I can’t understand your logic.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
It’s a different argument but I think there is a selfishness reason for him wanting to take them, it makes his stats look a lot more impressive on paper. People say he had a good season last year because he scored 13 goals, takeaway those penalties and 5 goals doesn’t look anywhere near as impressive.

Also I’ve always preferred strikers to take penalties, I’d rather have the guys up top where we expect the goals to be coming from having the feeling of scoring more regularly for confidence and continuity. RVN was a beast because that’s all he cared about is scoring goals and that’s what you need from a united striker if we are going to become successful again. I’d rather see Rashford and Martial fighting for the right to take a penalty if we are going to continue with the farce of deciding on the pitch.
You prefer strikers taking penalties as that's all you have known. You remember RVN taking them. That's your opinion. It doesn't mean that Pogba is not worthy to take a penalty for us though because he's not a striker. My take on it is, our best player, the one who the team always looks to, should take the pressure penalty. That so happens to be Pogba. He has excellent technique and strikes the ball superbly. Under those circumstances, why can't he take a penalty for us?

fps

No-one on the site watches the post match interviews then? The reporter asked Rashford straight away why he took the penalty and he explained it clear as day. Rashford being the 'clubs best penalty taker statically' is mental when he has only taken 2 penalties for us. Why are you taking that seriously?

No that is not true at all. There is a system. Rashford & Ole have both explained that whoever wins the penalty is free to take it. Whoever feels the most comfortable at that time.
So when they both feel comfortable, what happens? So far, the system hasn't been what you've described, it's been "Whoever has the ball takes the penalty". Pogba has missed a lot of penalties.

fps

If we interpret those stats in the same way as you then Rashford and Martial are better penalty takers than Irwin. Come to think of it, so am I
Doesn't really matter does it, Irwin's not an option, and neither are you.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
So when they both feel comfortable, what happens? So far, the system hasn't been what you've described, it's been "Whoever has the ball takes the penalty". Pogba has missed a lot of penalties.
Rashford won the penalty last week, took it.
Pogba won the penalty this week, took it.

How is that not what i have explained?

Johan07

Its hardly an uncommon system to have a couple of penalty takers that discuss who will take a penalty in each individual case. I would argue that its even common. Same with freekicks. This is not a schtick to beat neither OGS or Pogba with, its a system used by a lot of clubs.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
No it hasn't. That's been your assumption based on an incredibly shallow pool of information.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
One of the best footballers in the world missed a penalty. I'm not losing sleep over this. So what if Rashford had taken it? He might have missed as well. Or he might have scored.

Everyone are mad about maybes.

Apokalips

I swear these issues only become a thing when it's United. Same as the dispossessed stat to deride Sanchez but never mentioned to KDB.

I recall Mahrez missing a vital penalty for City when he's not their taker. In fact just last weekend Aguero missed a penalty he stole from Sterling preventing Sterling scoring his hat trick initially. Not to mention there was clearly a ton more tension between those two in that incident than Rashford and Pogba, yet we have the media trying to fabricate a beef.

The reporter post match trying to push Rashford to have a dig at Pogba too. I'm glad the squad seem to have some togetherness and hope they use this as fuel.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
But it has been decided. It’s been decided that Pogba or Rashford can take the penalties. You can disagree with the fact that he’s decided not to just pick one, but you can’t act like it’s not been decided.
Yes, I am pretty sure Rashford was delighted to let Pogba take the penalty.

Amerifan

Pogba makes the penalty, this discussion never happens. Now some are seriously suggesting Ole lacks leadership, listening to the men actually on the pitch is a stupid idea, and Rashford’s two for two guarantees future success? Be real. It’s one missed PK.

GiddyUp

One of the best footballers in the world missed a penalty. I'm not losing sleep over this. So what if Rashford had taken it? He might have missed as well. Or he might have scored.

Everyone are mad about maybes.
Ronaldo missed his penalty in the shoot out in Moscow, happens all the time. I'm not bothered about Ole giving them the option to decide amongst themselves but it should be decided before the match, not in front of the knicker twisting football media.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
It's really not. 2 points difference could be CL qualification for next year or not.

Those are the basics and as somebody said even on amateur level you have your penalty taker from the off.
What nonsense.

1. It isn’t guaranteed Rashford would have scored.

2. Again, we did have designated penalty takers. Rashford and Pogba. Where does it say you should only have one taker? What about free kicks - should only have one too? Telling me teams never rotate takers?

Now just to be clear, happy if people disagree with having a pool of takers with no hierarchy. Heck, that’s how I feel too - we should only have one guy as the no. 1 option.

But it’s total BS to say this is amateurish, as you put it, or weak leadership. It’s just a decision which may or may not be wrong. That’s why it’s blown out of proportion.

So your comment about 2 points is totally irrelevant.

GiddyUp

Pogba makes the penalty, this discussion never happens. Now some are seriously suggesting Ole lacks leadership, listening to the men actually on the pitch is a stupid idea, and Rashford’s two for two guarantees future success? Be real. It’s one missed PK.
It is just one missed but I think Pogba has been found out a bit by the goalkeepers. He needs to mix it up a bit with his placement.
But let's not worry about it guys, Harry Maguire will sort it out. Only his 2nd game with us and you can see he has some stern words for sloppy play. Would love to know what he was saying to Pogba during the goal celebration.

MrBrightside1989

Rashford should be number one penalty taker. He has proven that he has the nerve for it. I have some sympathy for Pogba on this one though as his penalty wasn't the worst I've seen and it was a very decent save.
It is up to OGS how they sort this but it needs clarified clearly so that the players know. I hate seeing players discuss it on the pitch. As soon as a penalty is given the taker should just step up and take it.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
19% of penalties in the PL were missed last season, it happens. Against Wolves our bogey team it was bound to happen.

I Am Zlatan

Pks are 50/50, even though it wasn’t a great pk, but had the goalkeeper went the other way, it would’ve been a goal, also he might’ve saved Rashford’s pk too.. not saying that I don’t agree that Rashford should take them, but Pogba did well to earn the pk, I don’t see a problem of him wanting to take it.. It seems like people just want him to mess up to give them reasons to have a go at him.. I’m no Pogba fanboy, but it’s sad because he’s one of the few world class players on our team..

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
19% of penalties in the PL were missed last season, it happens. Against Wolves our bogey team it was bound to happen.
15% of them were probably by Pogba and his stupid fecking run up.

Least he got rid of that last night but still bloody missed.

Tyrion

I'd argue our main man is De Gea. Being the best player doesn't make you the best penalty kick taker. The best penalty kick taker is the best choice for taking penalties and that should be the only criteria.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I'd argue our main man is De Gea. Being the best player doesn't make you the best penalty kick taker. The best penalty kick taker is the best choice for taking penalties and that should be the only criteria.
Well technically Paul Pogba HAS scored more penalties for this club than Rashford.

Pogba did a very, very impressive solo play before the penalty, I'm sure he felt confident about putting it in.

And you know, the gesture from Pogba after the game says more than enough for everyone to let it go, "I'm sorry, I fked up". Let's give this a rest now

C'est Moi Cantona

I'd give them to Martial, cool head, main striker, best goal scorer, etc.

Let Rashford and Pogba fight out who takes the free kicks.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He’s missed 4 of his last 10? Not sure how that can be called decent. Even at amateur level you would be relieved of penalty duty with that record.
He was at 7/10 before the miss and now 7/11. 7/10 is basically average. If he scored would be bang on average, but keeper saved. Pretty sure mid 70's% is average?

fergiesarmy1

He was at 7/10 before the miss and now 7/11. 7/10 is basically average. If he scored would be bang on average, but keeper saved. Pretty sure mid 70's% is average?
But he didn’t so its at 64% and we dropped 2 points.

If he misses again he will be at 58%, this figure only seems to be going one way, let’s give it to the guys up top hey.

Apparently the average is 81% looking further up the thread.

Al Capone

I think it should be Rashford, Martial and maybe then Pogba in that order. If first one misses a pen it then goes to next one next time and so on. This is probably the best way and keeps all of them on their toes. Rashford and Martial are better pen takers than Pogba. Correct me if I'm wrong I think Van Gaal implemented something like this. Not that Van Gaal had us destroying teams either.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I can understand the merit in having a few designated penalty takers. Players confidence in each game differs and if the designated player is having a bad game and short on confidence he'd rather pass on the opportunity to another player.

Member 113277

Spot on. Rashford buries the shot into the corner, the reason Pogba's was saved was it was too easy for the keeper to intercept it, due height and being only part way to the corner.

Let's not forget who put Martial in for his goal - PP offers a lot more than penalties.

Enigma_87

You know who
What nonsense.

1. It isn’t guaranteed Rashford would have scored.

2. Again, we did have designated penalty takers. Rashford and Pogba. Where does it say you should only have one taker? What about free kicks - should only have one too? Telling me teams never rotate takers?

Now just to be clear, happy if people disagree with having a pool of takers with no hierarchy. Heck, that’s how I feel too - we should only have one guy as the no. 1 option.

But it’s total BS to say this is amateurish, as you put it, or weak leadership. It’s just a decision which may or may not be wrong. That’s why it’s blown out of proportion.

So your comment about 2 points is totally irrelevant.
1. It doesn't really matter. The issue is that every team has 1 designated penalty taker - the best one currently in the team. Do you have an example of a top team with 2 "designated" penalty takers that make the decision on the spot? That's ridiculous.

2. Free kicks and penalties are completely different things. Again, care to show an example of a top team that rotate their kick takers when it matters and points are on the line?

If you think we can afford to lose points left and right with decisions like that it's up to you.