People who call for Jose's head, what/who they want?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I can't find any name around can set us up as continuous league contenders or even top four ones! I think he is the best manager out there to do the business.
The problem is you only look at number of titles and not the type of football or profile.

For example, someone who has the ability to improve players and at the same time do it with younger players is Lucien Favre, but nobody would accept that because he only won titles in Switzerland, not in Germany or France.

More than hiring the most fashionable name in the market maybe United as a club needs to have someone at the top hierarchy level who knows what football identity they want, instead of cherrypicking the most expensive names, be it managers or players, just look at the tragic performances of Paul Pogba.

Do you honestly believe he was like this at Juventus? Sure, the price was high, current Serie A is different than the Premier League, but why did he perform there with Conte or Allegri?

Because Juventus has a football identity, and with Mourinho, LVG or Moyes you just are throwing money at everything that moves to fix the problem, reality is none of them look to have answers how to create a atractive football identity in 2018.

What Mou did between 2002 and 2010 was top level, what LVG did with Ajax in the 90's was extraordinary, but we are in 2018, and football develops, its not the crap you listen by some pundits "football never changes, just spend and you win".

Its true that if you spend more you are more able to win, but if you compare the resources Klopp or Pochettino have compared with Mourinho, just forget the number of trophies and look at the performances.

When someone at the top of the club understands this they will reach the conclusion for Mourinho to win something relevant, only spending a obscene amount of money, and even that will not be based in the improvement of young players, just trying the short term.

Only used Favre as a example, based on profile, it can be other names.

Last edited:

Listar

It’s obvious he would win or at least challenge with a club like United, trophies isn’t everything it’s clear as day how good of a manager he is.
I would say his current team is better than united team this season yet he still can't win anything and is still below united.

Only an overrated manager can lead a world class team from title challengers to fighting for top 4.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
I think there is only one guy we should be going after. Let him do whatever he does, tinker in whichever way he likes. We won't necessarily win with him, but about 3 years after he resigns/we inevitably sack him, we will be champions again. He "did it" with Valencia, Chelsea, Juventus, Monaco, and actually did it with Leicester. I'm of course talking about Ranieri.

Yagami

Good post resistant
They’ve been brainwashed into thinking Pochettino’s the next big thing.
No need to be condescending. I, personally, have wanted Poch since 12/13 when the news came. I wanted him to replace Fergie over every other manager bar Pep who was my ultimate 1st choice, and what I've seen him do at Spurs makes me only want him more.

Back then he was an unpopular choice (still kinda is) so no brainwashing involved!

Last edited:

kthanksbye

Always maintained that Jose is our best bet to get back to where we want to be, but looking at the players yesterday, only Sanchez, Mata, Lingard and Young to a certain extent looked like they were arsed to make something happen.

Two of them are not anything special, Sanchez has just joined so he's pumped up and Mata's place in the starting 11 is not certain. Jose has really failed to make these players put in a shift, and he has to take some blame for that.

Having said that, Martial walks and plays like hes 3 times Ballon D'or winner, his finishing is piss poor, even the double chance he got in the second half, he couldn't connect to either of the shots, really shat bricks when the big moment came.

These are the players we're expecting to do something in Europe against the likes of Madrid, Barca, Bayern, Juve, PSG? With nerves this fragile and an attitude like this, Sevilla will humiliate us.

buckooo1978

I think the board need to look at the long term and it's hard to see past Pochettino as the one for me.

pound for pound the best manager in the league.... he's done extremely well on a fraction of our budget

they've consistently finished well and - because of budget, have missed that star quality like Pogba, De Bruyne or Salah that could have pushed Spurs over the line

his team have an excellent balance and it's clear he creates a side greater than the sum of its parts

I think he will become available when Spurs start flogging the likes of Kane so in the next 18 months

he's a good temperament about him and has good relationships with players - he also dealt with the Danny Rose thing well

there are some great coaches out there - it depends on our identity and how we want to play

obviously I hope Jose can turn it around but tactically he seems a spent force and our weaknesses are evidenced over a long period of time- unfortunately with Jose it seems the only solution is the cheque book as he isn't up for coaching a solution out of the players

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't want Jose to leave this season, want him to steady the ship after poor 3-4 years.

Also I don't think he will take us to the next level though.

Also next time Woodward goes for a new manager, hopefully he sees beyond trophies. We should go for young manager with fresh ideas and someone who makes player work their socks off.

Someone like Jardin, Tuchel, Poch, Paulo Fonseca (haven't seen much of him but his team was impressive in CL and heard he is rated highly).

Arka_BleedingRed

Jose is still a very good coach, no doubt. But reactive football and tactics has largely paven way for Proactive, attacking football. At the top level, reactive style is no longer as prevalent as before and the attacking players prefer to play Proactively. Unfortunately, Jose doesn't seem to have evolved and so, these tactics and style have become easy to overcome. I have said before and will continue to say so, we won't win anything substantial under Jose and also, we don't have enough players with the required mentality and attitude.

Another issue with the team is that after Fergie, they have been trained by 3 largely defensive minded managers, their aggression and swiftness of mind seems gone. They seem to wilt under the slightest pressure, show almost no coherence and intricacy while attacking. When attacking players don't enjoy their football,their form and attitude will suffer and they will look half the player they are, and vice versa.

Classical Mechanic

I don't want Jose to leave this season, want him to steady the ship after poor 3-4 years.

Also I don't think he will take us to the next level though.

Also next time Woodward goes for a new manager, hopefully he sees beyond trophies. We should go for young manager with fresh ideas and someone who makes player work their socks off.

Someone like Jardin, Tuchel, Poch, Paulo Fonseca (haven't seen much of him but his team was impressive in CL and heard he is rated highly).

We are in a fight for a top four spot now. If we finish outside the top four he won’t have steadied anything.

roonster09

Scout
We are in a fight for a top four spot now. If we finish outside the top four he won’t have steadied anything.
Can't argue against that but we were in 2nd position all season which we never achieved since SAF retired.

If we finish outside top 4 then like you said again back to 0 but with good enough players.

redIndianDevil

Fair enough then, carry on. :)
Although I think apologists are in minority here, I mean in the cafe in general.
Nah they all go into hiding if we lose. They will all comeback after we win unconvincingly again.

mike bird

Supports
Boston Celtics
There’s lots of managers out there. I for one personally think Pochettino would be great. I’d also thinks Giggs would get more passion.

Giggs? You must having a laugh! There was a video of his team talk when he was a caretaker manager, half of the people were asleep, the rest were yawning.

mike bird

Supports
Boston Celtics
I want a manager who knows how to get the best out of his players, and how to get them to play like a team, with passion and desire. Mourinho evidently does not know this anymore. He just keeps trying the same things over and over and expecting different results.

Yeah, I dont get it! Isn't it enough for the players for all the money they are getting paid and the fact that they play in the biggest club in the world to get excited about? Why does the manager have to instill them with passion and desire. I thought playing football, and for Utd, was good enough.

mike bird

Supports
Boston Celtics
Basically - he needs to change if he wants to improve. Doing what he's been doing hasn't been good enough. Who would we bring in if he did leave? I don't know, it's Manchester United and we have a very good squad right now. There wouldn't be a shortage of offers. But it has to be somebody who likes to play attacking football and approaches games positively. Hell I'd probably strongly consider Ancelotti, despite his own struggles in the league. There are other options of course, some would be bigger risks then others, but the way it's going, I wouldn't expect Mourinho to last past the end of next season. We'll see I guess.

Ancelloti?? Did he not get sacked from Bayern, the team that wins the league in every single season?

FrenchRed

I think the board need to look at the long term and it's hard to see past Pochettino as the one for me.

pound for pound the best manager in the league.... he's done extremely well on a fraction of our budget

they've consistently finished well and - because of budget, have missed that star quality like Pogba, De Bruyne or Salah that could have pushed Spurs over the line

his team have an excellent balance and it's clear he creates a side greater than the sum of its parts

I think he will become available when Spurs start flogging the likes of Kane so in the next 18 months

he's a good temperament about him and has good relationships with players - he also dealt with the Danny Rose thing well

there are some great coaches out there - it depends on our identity and how we want to play

obviously I hope Jose can turn it around but tactically he seems a spent force and our weaknesses are evidenced over a long period of time- unfortunately with Jose it seems the only solution is the cheque book as he isn't up for coaching a solution out of the players
Pochettino is for me overrated and has proven nothing in the league, he hasn't won anything - he lucked out by having a once in a generation player who scores goals for fun. Take Kane out of the team for the season and see where they finish. Not saying he's a bad coach, but he's not the coaching messiah.

Oh, and Pochettino is only going to one place... Real. It's as clear as the stars in the sky.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Jose is still a very good coach, no doubt. But reactive football and tactics has largely paven way for Proactive, attacking football. At the top level, reactive style is no longer as prevalent as before and the attacking players prefer to play Proactively. Unfortunately, Jose doesn't seem to have evolved and so, these tactics and style have become easy to overcome. I have said before and will continue to say so, we won't win anything substantial under Jose and also, we don't have enough players with the required mentality and attitude.

Another issue with the team is that after Fergie, they have been trained by 3 largely defensive minded managers, their aggression and swiftness of mind seems gone. They seem to wilt under the slightest pressure, show almost no coherence and intricacy while attacking. When attacking players don't enjoy their football,their form and attitude will suffer and they will look half the player they are, and vice versa.
I definitely agree with this.

FrenchRed

Exactly.

It is beyond a joke that people are genuinely calling for Mourinho to be replaced. What happens when Pochettino is manager and we still lose a game because our players can't convert easy chances? Continue to blame the manager and worship the players?
100% Agreed - we didn't play too badly in the second half yesterday. We were wasteful in our finishing, and I was amazed how bad (and also unlucky at one point) we were in front of goal - but the chances an opportunities to win it were there.

Jose can't be blamed for Martial's lack of composure, or the Newcastle goalkeeper having a fantastic game (as always seems to be the case against us!). Oh how people forget how bad things have been in recent years... we could be a *lot* worse off.

FrenchRed

Lets remind ourselves of the p!ss poor, unbalanced, scatter-gun approach squad Mourinho pretty much inherited, this is the squad for 15/16

It still gives me shudders now. It's without the worst United side I've ever seen.

David De Gea
Sergio Romero
Victor Valdes

Marcos Rojo
Phil Jones
Chris Smalling
Paddy McNair
Luke Shaw
Daley Blind
Tyler Blackett
Antonio Valencia
Matteo Darmian
Guillermo Varela
Ashley Young

Morgan Schneiderlin
Michael Carrick
Bastian Schweinsteiger
Ander Hererra
Maruane Fellaini
Nick Powell

Juan Mata
Memphis Depay
Anthony Martial
Jesse Lingard
Andreas Pereira
Adnan Januzaj
Marcus Rashford

Wayne Rooney
Chicharito
James Wilson
Will Keane
People forget just how bad it was...

redIndianDevil

See, there in lies our big problem. How much of our season/ mourinho’s performance is judged against city having a great season. I think a lot and that’s one of main reasons fans (including me) are frustrated. Would we have cared anymore of our performances say if it was Leicester walking the league, I don’t think so.

We are not having a great season but at the same time we are also not having a manager sacking season. We Have been good in bits and pieces.

City underperformed so badly last season, they were leaking goals left, right and center and everyone ridiculed peps style in pl. they could have easily sacked him as they essentially made no progress under him winning nothing. But he was backed by the board and the fans and look at the season they are having.

Jose is a winning manager wherever he goes and is the best possible option for now to take up the fight to city next year. If we push the button now, we are back to square one with a new system and new players trying to learn new tactics and we will lose another two seasons.

Having said that if we do regress badly from now on and finish outside top 4, then it’s a sackable season. Our main frustration is that the team above us happens to be the our worst rivals. There is nothing more to that. The benchmark has gone up a lot due to their freak season.
It's not compared to City really, at least not from me. All I wanted to see was improvements from last season, can you really say we have improved? We have spent loads of money to just play the same crappy football again. We haven't improved as a team or player individually. If you really think City will not play exactly the same way next season then you are in for a serious disappointment. Barring long term injuries to main players like De Bruyne, City will play exactly like they do this season.

redIndianDevil

100% Agreed - we didn't play too badly in the second half yesterday. We were wasteful in our finishing, and I was amazed how bad (and also unlucky at one point) we were in front of goal - but the chances an opportunities to win it were there.

Jose can't be blamed for Martial's lack of composure, or the Newcastle goalkeeper having a fantastic game (as always seems to be the case against us!). Oh how people forget how bad things have been in recent years... we could be a *lot* worse off.
Oh come on, we created two clear chances(Martial 1v1 and Sanchez 1v1) till we conceded a goal. That is just poor. No team in the world is that clinical.

roonster09

Scout
Pochettino is for me overrated and has proven nothing in the league, he hasn't won anything - he lucked out by having a once in a generation player who scores goals for fun. Take Kane out of the team for the season and see where they finish. Not saying he's a bad coach, but he's not the coaching messiah.

Oh, and Pochettino is only going to one place... Real. It's as clear as the stars in the sky.
Poch has lot to prove but to say he hasn't proven anything is just wrong. He took Spurs (who were laughing stock even though they finished in top 6) and made them into team of warriors. It's just shit to play against them.

He didn't lucked into having once in a generation player, if not for Poch, Kane would have been playing for someother team on loan or sold. Kane was a nobody before Poch took over.

It's not as if Poch's influence is limited to one player either.

At Spurs he improved Kane, Alli, Dembele, Lamela, Son, walker, Rose, Davies, Vertonghen. Almost every player.

At Southampton he improved players like Lallana, Shaw, Clyne and many others.

It's very clear the coaches like Poch improves players and get better than sum of it's parts. Sometimes it's better to look beyond trophy count (I'm guilty of it too and I was wrong back then).

Greck

I would say his current team is better than united team this season yet he still can't win anything and is still below united.

Only an overrated manager can lead a world class team from title challengers to fighting for top 4.
:rolleyes:

Tottenham don't have a better team than us. You can defend the manager without throwing mud at our squad that has Lukaku, Pogba, Martial and Alexis fecking Sanhez.

It doesn't even look good on the manager to say he spent all that money and still couldnt assemble a team better than Tottenham

Social Madworks

If we truly think Manchester United is the greatest club in the world, or one of the greatest clubs in the world, we will not have, should not have, must not have such worry that, there is no other good coach/manager available if the current one leave us. Manchester United is not a small time club. The name Manchester United itself should be attractive to the coaches/managers. If there are challenges, just throw them, and their current owner enough money, to bring them here, just like how we gotten Pogba, Lukaku, Sanchez.

My personal choice is Leonardo Jardim. Not that I want Jose sacked now, but he has to change now, immediately, if not he will be changed.

mike bird

Supports
Boston Celtics
Funny thing, all the cafe experts suggesting Jose, the most successful manager in recent world football history, to go and bring some unproven clown to manage the biggest club in the world.

Some idiots even suggested we bring Giggs, are you out of your feckin mind? The guy banged his brother's wife, which does not fit well with the values of our club, and most importantly, he has never managed a team in his lifetime. From that suggestion alone, I get the feeling some of you should stop doing drugs while you are ahead.

But, good thing that such a decision its not up to you. You are the most fickle fans in the world. SAF went through the same for years before he won any trophy, but we did stick with him and he delivered.

Every time we lose a game, the first thing that happens in the cafe, all the trolls with an agenda appear out of nowhere to trash our manager.

Jose is doing absolutely fine. We are 2nd at the moment and in the 16 of CL. Thins have improved 10-fold since he took over.

We played a team who were fighting for their lives and were more determined to win the game than our players. We missed at least 4 sitters in the game. People call Martial a world class player, but God, the chances he missed to score where ludicrously easy. Even my grandma would have scored.

Get a grip and get behind your team or stop talking. We are all pissed off we lost, we dont need your constant whining about how much you hate Jose. You been doing it since the day we signed him. Give it a rest.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Can’t see Jose going for at least two more seasons, he has never won at Newcastle before.

My ideal replacement would be Simeone wanted him to take over since Moyes got sacked, he has gotten Atlético playing in his image as he was as a player. I think it would be easier for the players to grasp what he wants if he took over as there philosophy are similar, compared to the last 3 managers (Moyes’ philosophy was very different from SAF, LVG philosophy was very different from Moyes and Jose philosophy is very different from LVG). Proven winner won the Europa league, La Liga and has got to two CL finals

Other candidates would be Julian Nagelsmann like the way he gets his team playing think, he fits the United way very well, he knows how to attack and counter attack, plays an attacking 3-1-4-2 formation. but lack of trophies and only being 30 would put people off him and if it did start to go wrong fans might turn on him quicker than a bigger name.

Sarri, hard not to be impressed by his Napoli side they are very pleasing on the eye especially his attacking trio of Callejón, Mertens and Insigne they currently top of Seire A but he might be reluctant to leave Napoli and also lacks the know how of winning trophies.
Yeah I can see the fans who are moaning about Mourinho's brand of football being absolutely delighted with Simeone whose Atletico sit back and defend for 80 minutes even again bottom of the table teams.

buckooo1978

how can anyone be overrated when they finish higher than they should based on his budget - pretty sure no one has won more points over the last 3 years.... possibly City with this year's haul

as for Kane well he's one of a number of players that's been developed by Poch- look at his transfer strategy - he can't attract elite players but he's bought players like Eriksson, Alli, Son, Alderwield etc for a relative pittance and has them playing as a team - imagine what he could do with a budget like ours

I'm not saying he's the Messiah and it's nonsense for you to suggest anyone on here is.... it's that kind of comment that is reflective of fans who think in a binary way where players are either amazing or shit and there is no middle ground

as far as I'm concerned he's a proven premier league coach with the right character and bags of potential

Hughes35

WTF is this car crash of a thread. People talking about how Jose will never win a substantial trophy with Utd...... He literally won 2 major trophies last year, even if you don't count the EFL cup, he still won the Europa which is a major trophy by any standards.

The football we play is decent, it's not the best in the Prem but I'd take our football over Liverpool's or Arsenal's any day of the week as we actually have balance and can defend. With Mou you just know we will always have a good transfer window, you know we will always compete and you know there is a chance in any game no matter who we are playing. He's the most successful manager in the modern game and yet people want him replaced with Giggs and Scholes....... It's the equivalent of Liverpool wanting to replace Klopp with John Barnes and Jason McAteer. Apart from Utd is a much bigger animal to handle, pressure is higher and it's even harder to succeed.

Thank god our owners have more sense.

Saad138

Utd really shot themselves in the foot by giving mourinho an extension. He will anyway be sacked next season of he doesn't win the title after having spend so much. Pochettino will be his best replacement.

wolvored

If he finishes 2nd and goes deep into the CL (something he has a bit of a habit doing) then this year will be viewed as a success and he will get full support for next year.
Its all ifs though. The defence is too frail, De Gea apart. Without him I reckon we would be 4th/5th now. Mou will still need to deliver the title next year otherwise he wont have another year after.

wolvored

That is the worst case scenario. I can't defend Jose if we don't make top four this season. But I think he will do fine grabbing that second place, hopefully.
I think we may be caught up and have a nervous end of season. The defence is so weak except for De Gea who bails us out over and over again. Jones and Smalling should never be played together again.

RedElf

WTF is this car crash of a thread. People talking about how Jose will never win a substantial trophy with Utd...... He literally won 2 major trophies last year, even if you don't count the EFL cup, he still won the Europa which is a major trophy by any standards.

The football we play is decent, it's not the best in the Prem but I'd take our football over Liverpool's or Arsenal's any day of the week as we actually have balance and can defend. With Mou you just know we will always have a good transfer window, you know we will always compete and you know there is a chance in any game no matter who we are playing. He's the most successful manager in the modern game and yet people want him replaced with Giggs and Scholes....... It's the equivalent of Liverpool wanting to replace Klopp with John Barnes and Jason McAteer. Apart from Utd is a much bigger animal to handle, pressure is higher and it's even harder to succeed.

Thank god our owners have more sense.
Good post.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Really hope José is the man to take us forward - major proponent of his appointment and still a big fan of his career overall. Perfect fit for United as regards gravitas in the game and larger than life personality as well, and we do need more continuity at the club. However, there are a few worrying signs in that he might be pulling a Trapattoni in terms of becoming an increasingly archaic figure at odds with the progression of the game or the long term vision for United. That antiquatedness is reflected in his orthodoxy, the way he's built this team, the way we approach games at times, the way we shunt individuals about which disrupts a sense of cohesiveness, the fact that fullback is a sore spot even after 2 seasons for a managers that coached Cole and Maicon and Zanetti and Marcelo, the haphazard ideology in attack where we seemingly throw individuals on the pitch and expect them to figure things out for themselves, and so forth - they're all bone(s) of contention, and even as a Mourinho supporter, it's hard to look beyond those flaws. Will he fix some of those issues? Time will tell, as always, but drawing up a contingency plan is always prudent, and there are a couple of candidates that would do well at United depending on what you want of them...

Pragmatic: Allegri is an obvious choice - probably the closest you'll get to circa 2010 Mourinho in terms of the way he structures his teams. Juventus' backroom staff and decision-makers are formidable no doubt - including Beppe Marotta and Fabio Paratici - that setup is levels beyond what United have in terms of sporting nous, IMO - and for what it's worth, some of our issues, as it were, are a direct consequence of a lack of sporting experience at administrative level. But Allegri has taken Conte's team and provided his own flavor to it while employing different approaches with great effectiveness - initially a 532 based on Conte's framework, then a 4231 or 442 with Dybala as the crown-jewel, now a 433 in recent weeks - all very well structured and keenly balanced in several phases of the game - while losing Pirlo, Vidal, Tévez, Bonucci, Pogba, Alves etc. over the years. Quite Hitzfeld-esque in that he turns the team into a well-oiled machine even when they have a hiccup of two because of systemic changes, and a top manager - disappointment in the final stages of the Champions League notwithstanding.

Purist: Sarri is an obvious choice for this criterion. Big fan from his Empoli days because he can engender progressive football with less than elite pieces - which is a quality not many have. Hasn't won much, but that can be a tenuous argument at times because he should be judged relative to the resources he has at his disposal and not in absolute terms. He has brought them to Top 10 in Europe level even though Napoli don't have the spending power of the elite, and lagged behind Juventus in Serie A over the years:

Even now, they're ways behind the absolute elite (boasting ⅓rd the revenue of the likes of United and Barcelona and Bayern and Madrid), and comparable to Southampton and Everton, for added context:

Despite that, the fact that his team lead Serie A with a squad that is not very deep (which was painfully evident vs. City in Europe) speaks volumes, especially when he accentuates individual performance as part of the overall team framework. Reckon he'd do very well with a massive budget where he can acquire even cooler pieces from a qualitative standpoint, and will definitely bring the best out of Pogba, Martial, Sánchez in roles akin to Hamšík, Mertens, Callejón and the likes. Though his fondness for Italy does give me pause.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Ancelloti?? Did he not get sacked from Bayern, the team that wins the league in every single season?
He would be a backward step, not that I am after Jose's head anyway. If the worst happened we need someone with a plan, who knows exactly how he wants us to play and is not scared to get rid of every player who does not fit the plan and will bring in ones who do. Not big names but players he knows he can mould. There is too much of there having to be a big name signing. We have to build for the future.

Marcky411

We don't need to change manager, but we need our manager to change.
He won't, it is like asking a leopard to change his spots. I look at Jose the same way as I look back on the Rooney of the last so many seasons at Utd. Rooney was an amazing player when he had fire in his belly and played with a certain degree of anger rushing through his veins, you got to see the best of Rooney. Once that fire had left Rooney he was a shell of the player he once was, used lines like, I have become a calmer, more maturer player etc.
I am seeing the exact same thing happening to Jose, he has lost his fire, his desire, that win at all costs mentality. Kind of like the lights are on but nobody is home. Who to replace him with I really don't know but one thing is for sure, they look for a more attack minded coach, since SAF we have had 3 defensive coaches and it hasn't really got us a step further to being one of the best teams in europe.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I haven't ever been Mou's biggest fan but there have been clear improvements in our side since he took over. We might not be playing the most attacking or the most attractive football, but it is of very decent quality, most games involve good quality football.
I want him to learn from our mistakes. While we are statistically the best defensive side in the league, the goals ate far too similar. Our defenders have no idea how to deal with a decent quality long ball. Despite being the tallest side in the league, we rarely win the header when defending set pieces and our players just don't react to reach the second ball before the oppo.

SpyLuke10

Not Pocheatino, spurs are easily the dirtiest team in the league, diving cheats and they make leg breaker tackles frequently but according to Pocheatino its 'part of the game' to try and deceive the referees.

Marcky411

Nobodies giving any answers for fear of being shut down I think, but i'll give some;

Thomas Tuchel -

PRO's
  • Plays very attractive football, winning football
  • Teams play well together as a cohesive unit
  • Gets best out of players that aren't necessarily 'World Class'
  • Brilliant recorded work with young players and getting the best out of them, particularly attacking ones
  • Great and respectable finishes with Mainz, a club limited by a very poor squad and little to no money.
  • Would of won Dortmund the league in 1st season if not for a mesmerising Bayern campaign, Lost Pokal only on penalties
  • 2nd season won the Pokal after beating Bayern in the semi's
  • Only 44, time to learn, grow, and settle in a long term appointment
NEG's
  • Perhaps a little naive defensively at Dortmund sometimes, something he would need to iron out of his game, if he hasn't already done so during his time off
  • Can be a little argumentative or combatative, but then his sacking was because he was angry at the selling of Hummels, Gundogan and Mkhitaryan despite him being promise they wouldn't all leave
  • Perhaps hasn't won enough to be a contender in some people's eyes
He also tried to replace some of the big name players at the club due to their ageing and average performances but Watzke didn't like this and so Tuchel's relationship with said players and Watzke fractured, leading to his sacking, he also wasn't allowed to sign the players he wanted, having numerous transfers blocked by Watzke and chief scout at the time Sven Mslintat, now at Arsenal.

Leonardo Jardim

PRO's

• Also plays attractive, winning football
  • Does very well against teams like PSG with unlimited resources
  • Gets the best out of the players he has on the squad
  • Perhaps even better than Tuchel at utilising young players, as evidenced by his league win last year with one of the youngest and most exciting attacking squads seen
  • Good CL runs with this squad
  • Still having a respectable league run, in 2nd, against PSG and other teams, despite selling of players like Bernardo Silva, Mbappe and Bakayoko
  • Only 44, like Tuchel, plenty of time to learn, grow and settle into a long term appointment
NEG's

• Perhaps also hasn't won enough to be a candidate in some peoples eyes.

This is leaving out the likes of Sarri etc.

Not sure what else I can say, for me, this brand of manager represents a brand of football I know that every supporter of Manchester United would relish watching, we might not win every match, but at least we won't cower against the supposed 'big boys', and it's not like we are winning every match serving up the dross we are currently seeing either is it? With the squad we have, the young attacking talent we have, we should be taking a punt on what I would consider a classic Manchester United manager and would embody everything that made us so successful as a club to begin with.

I know people will say well they've won nothing, we shouldn't be recruiting people that have won nothing, well recruiting managers that have won loads doesn't seem to have the desired effect either, and I don't count Moyes, because he clearly wasn't a good enough manager for us prior to his appointment. We should be giving these managers the chance, they are the future of football, in a more modern direction that, to be honest, seems to have eluded Mourinho completely.
Excellent post, nothing to add.
The only problem is as long as Utd still generate money Mourinho is safe, the Glasers and Ed Woodward only care about the bottom line and the football played doesn't interest them at all. Once it starts costing money, loosing sponsors etc Mourinho will be out at a drop of a hat.

SpyLuke10

I want Jose to stay but if we did get someone in my preference would be someone like Simeone, Löw, with managerial pedigree, or someone like Tuchel or Sarri of Napoli, don't want Poch, the bald man, Conte, or a class of 92 member.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Ancelotti, he might be decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.