Pep Guardiola: I don't remember SAF's Man United job offer, my English was not good

United_We_Stand

“My English in that period was not as good as it is right now – and so maybe I just didn't understand what Sir Alex said,”
“We met in a magnificent restaurant for dinner and I think he has said he suggested to me something about going to Old Trafford. But I really don’t remember that! We spoke about life, about football, about the Premier League. But there was no message sent to me under the table about United. I think I would remember that!

“Bayern Munich were the first club to call me, and then Manchester City, .... “After that, from almost the day I arrived [at Bayern], Manchester City asked me again and I said that if I went to the Premier League I would go to them.
“I spoke to Khaldoon and Txiki [Begiristain] again during my last period in Bayern Munich and they showed more interest than any other club to pick me up. That was so important to me....

breakout67

Supports
Man City
So SAF didnt fancy Guardiola as a Utd manager?

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
To be fair, it doesn't matter how good your English is, Sir Alex was and is in general hard to understand with that accent of his.

Banat

Regardless of his previous clashes with Mourinho, I don't mind him for some reason. I think he is more sincere and down to earth guy than the likes of Klopp or Conte.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
To be fair, it doesn't matter how good your English is, Sir Alex was and is in general hard to understand with that accent of his.
Most people that grew up in the UK will understand SAF. British accents are very strange in that they make no sense from a grammatical standpoint but you still understand what a person is saying.

If I wrote down what SAF was saying letter by letter, it would be gibberish, but when he is speaking I understand him perfectly.

Trizy

Imagine him trying to play tiki taka with the complete shite of a midfield that was left after Fergie :lol:

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I think City had been building for Pep for a while and while Fergie may have given him a few nods and winks over dinner during Pep's sabbatical it seems clear Pep was destined for City above any other PL club. This seems like a nice diplomatic way of saying he was always City-bound while acknowledging he did have a chat with Fergie.

luke511

Moyes was always Fergie's first choice. He came out and said he wasn't after it went disastrously to save face, but there was no way all those managers he listed would've turned the utd job down like he said they did.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Probably subtle suggestions in a conversation Pep was getting about 15% of.

In a way, that's about right in that if he wanted it he would/should have steered the conversation that way so it need not be subtle.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If Sir Alex had truly wanted him at United, Pep would have known and it would have happened.

Charlie Foley

Imagine him trying to play tiki taka with the complete shite of a midfield that was left after Fergie :lol:
I think if we had Pep in the summer of 2013 we wouldn't have gone into that season with the midfield we had.

I also think he'd have loved Carrick, and would have improved some of our other players a lot.

As an aside and this isn't really directed at you, I'm amazed at the "Pep gets his teams to play tiki taka" idea that continues to control the narrative. He's said in the past tiki taka is what he hates : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...aka-its-rubbish-and-completely-pointless.html

Needham

If Sir Alex had truly wanted him at United, Pep would have known and it would have happened.
I can't be having this. That means SAF didn't want him and preferred David Moyes on some level. How could that ever have been the outcome of a football genius's decision making process? I think Guardiola had decided on City as his project when his Barca office managers went there. Yes, that means he chose/would have chosen them over United.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We would've 100% brought in Thiago as we almost did but Moyes hesitated and pep brought him to Bayern. Probably would've gone for Gundogan too, with Carrick holding. Pep would've killed it here with that squad.

redIndianDevil

Damn it, don't create these type of threads, it still hurts that we chose David fecking Moyes to overhaul our squad. Look at how many years it has set us back.

Seij

I can't be having this. That means SAF didn't want him and preferred David Moyes on some level. How could that ever have been the outcome of a football genius's decision making process? I think Guardiola had decided on City as his project when his Barca office managers went there. Yes, that means he chose/would have chosen them over United.
Having a soft spot for his friend and countryman, maybe not wanting somebody to immediately succeed after his retirement, etc.

minoo-utd

Still can't believe SAF picked Moyes as his successor we are still paying for this wrong decision, but finally we got Jose who really can get us back to our glory days. Picking Guardiola or Jose right after SAF was a must thing because after such successful you can't risk things and sign a manager who's to achievement was finishing 4th one time or something like that but unfortunately it didn't happen.
At time being we are in real good hands.

gica_7

Moyes was always Fergie's first choice. He came out and said he wasn't after it went disastrously to save face, but there was no way all those managers he listed would've turned the utd job down like he said they did.
I don't think he was. Moyes was his last resort but he was fine with him as a last resort I believe.

Trizy

Still can't believe SAF picked Moyes as his successor we are still paying for this wrong decision, but finally we got Jose who really can get us back to our glory days. Picking Guardiola or Jose right after SAF was a must thing because after such successful you can't risk things and sign a manager who's to achievement was finishing 4th one time or something like that but unfortunately it didn't happen.
At time being we are in real good hands.
3 years of Moyes and LVG has set us back 5 if not 6.

I honestly believe if we had appointed Jose as our manager in 2013 we would have 2 league titles now.

Kapardin

Yep, he was pretty shrewd. Made a show of going to other managers with half-hearted interest and then announcing Moyes, which made it seem like he had scoured all available options and done due diligence. It was the height of nepotism. Atleast he knows better now.

PeteManic

I still think this story is somewhat spun by Fergie to make it seem that Moyes was the eventual chosen one only after he had tried to get other managers for the job.

EDIT: Edit to add that Pep would have never taken the job anyway. The City job has his old comrades at board level, there is more money, and it is less pressure than following the legacy of Ferguson. I would have taken the City job myself!

Acole9

Outstanding
Regardless of his previous clashes with Mourinho, I don't mind him for some reason. I think he is more sincere and down to earth guy than the likes of Klopp or Conte.
I agree, hard to not like him.

Minimalist

Spanish man tries to speak English, to Scottish man trying to speak English.

I'm imagining a lot of polite nodding at each other despite neither understanding a word. Then after some awkward silence Fergie looks down at his wine and mumbles, "no doot abou' tha'.."

leontas

What did he think Fergie was trying to do then, when he took him out to dinner?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
So SAF didnt fancy Guardiola as a Utd manager?
I'd imagine it was that he fancied that certain countryman more...
Despite what Fergie has said since Moyes got fired, I think Moyes was first choice.
At least we should've offered Pep the job...which it appeared did not happen.
And Jose was definitely ready to take over, when SAF left.

In any case, it's all history. I'm more interested in the future.
Both Pep and Jose are here. Last season Jose won 2 trophies, while Pep won nothing.
Let's see how this season pans out.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
If you are suggesting that he was offering him the job, SAF would've been more explicit.
When you are having a business meeting with someone who does not understand Englsih too well, you need to repeat yourself, if necessary and ensure that the message has got through.
If you ask a Spanish man a question and he gives you a blank look, you ask him again or use different language. SAF is not an idiot and would've got his message/question through. SAF was VERY good at getting his message across to people from all around the World. For crying out loud, one of his most recent and trusted Assistant Managers was Portugese!

If that Spanish man is stating that the question (do you want the Managerial job) was never asked, then I believe him.

Theonas

Scout

I'm imagining a lot of polite nodding at each other despite neither understanding a word. Then after some awkward silence Fergie looks down at his wine and mumbles, "no doot abou' tha'.."
:lol: I always try to imagine those meetings and have no idea how they get through the awkwardness witch such an obvious language barrier.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

:lol:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I think Guardiola is being magnanimous and classy about it. He could come out with sensationalist ‘I chose City over United’ or ‘I turned down Sir Alex Ferguson’, but instead, he’s made light of the situation and even taken some of the slight upon himself .

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Guardiola is just a straight forward guy

He even admitted that Mourinho won the war in Spain between the two of them even though his Barca had more wins than Mourinho's Madrid head to head