'Pep' Guardiola sack watch

bosskeano

he needs to spend another 50m on a LB....just so he gets to the 750m on defensive buys alone

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Is John Stones, Laporte injured? Why did Ake start?
Laporte has had a knee op and is due back in September. Stones did not make the US pre season matches as he's an anti vaxxer.. Ake did OK in those matches and doesn't deserve to be dropped for that game.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
his team squad depth has went down instead of improve.
Not really.
GK Ortega for Steffen
LB TBA for Mendy/Zinchenko
DM Phillips for Fernandinho
FW's Haaland/Alvarez/Palmer for Jesus/Sterling.

We really need a LB and targeted Cucarella from Brighton but don't want to pay the 50m that they want for him so there's a standoff. We await developments.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
The sourpusses didn't even collect their medals yesterday.

Josh 76

Without looking but City surely have the sh*ttest record against Liverpool out of the top 4 ?
They just always seem to get beat by them.
Only in the Micky mouse cups.

Yesterday was a gloried friendly.
Last season Liverpool beat City in the FA cup semi when City had half the team out and the rest were knacked after the CL match.

Liverpool haven’t beat City in the league in a few seasons.

Zippycup

Pep is great at managing teams if he has the right type of players and a sh*tload of money by his side.

For some reason the media forgoe any criticism of his coaching ability and instead throw this narrative down our throats that every player who joins his team, instantly become better players, it's nonsense.

His flops, of which there are many are never brought to the front of the topic. It was only yesterday that I'd heard a presenter on a radio channel say that Grealish had become a much better player under Pep.

Is he a world class manager? Yes. Could manage a team like Leicester and do a
Ranerie or do achieve what SAF did at Aberdeen? No. I don't think he could.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
not sure about Pep, but I'm going call the first Championship manager sacking as... Steve Bruce

Chief123

his team squad depth has went down instead of improve.
Has it really though? I keep seeing this being said.

They’ve lost Jesus, Sterling, Zinchenko and Fernandinho.

They’ve gained Haaland, Alvarez, Kalvin-Philips and probably Cucurella.

I don’t see how they’ve weakened. If anything, your argue they’ve strengthens based on the quality of players coming in.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Pep is great at managing teams if he has the right type of players and a sh*tload of money by his side.

For some reason the media forgoe any criticism of his coaching ability and instead throw this narrative down our throats that every player who joins his team, instantly become better players, it's nonsense.

His flops, of which there are many are never brought to the front of the topic. It was only yesterday that I'd heard a presenter on a radio channel say that Grealish had become a much better player under Pep.

Is he a world class manager? Yes. Could manage a team like Leicester and do a
Ranerie or do achieve what SAF did at Aberdeen? No. I don't think he could.
Agree with a lot of points here. Everyone is astonished by the "100 million" man Nunez but still no one talks about the only true £100m man Grealish. It's been over a year!

If Liverpool spectacularly fail with Nunez then we and Klopp really are fecked. If Pep fails with Grealish.... then he'll just buy Alvarez and Haaland WITHOUT offloading the £100m man. And the media will call it great business and a well run club using Jesus and Sterling as some sort of facade.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
And the media will call it great business and a well run club using Jesus and Sterling as some sort of facade.
I mean, they were sold for 100m combined. Where's the facade? Are Arsenal/Chelsea not paying that money?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Has it really though? I keep seeing this being said.

They’ve lost Jesus, Sterling, Zinchenko and Fernandinho.

They’ve gained Haaland, Alvarez, Kalvin-Philips and probably Cucurella.

I don’t see how they’ve weakened. If anything, your argue they’ve strengthens based on the quality of players coming in.
you have to realise that some here don't do logic.

I rate Jesus but who will score more goals, he or Halaand. No contest i you ask me. I reckon Halaand could get 30 in all competitions and may be the missing link to winning the CL. Fernandinho was getting on and seemingly wanted to go home so Philips is a long-term upgrade. I don't know enough about Alvarez but I imagine he'll score as many goals as Jesus and certainly as Sterling, although his leaving did surprise me. I never thought Zinchenko was top class, good but not great. Not sure if Curcurella is better but certainly not worse

miked99

How is this thread so active season after season? :lol:

You can certainly argue the merits of his achievements vs his budget, but he's quite obviously not getting sacked anytime soon.

Rajma

Losing Silva, Zinchenko, and Sterling to some extent is a bit stupid in one window if you ask me as it takes time to get to grips for new players with Pep’s system. I don’t think it’s a smart gamble on his part.

Josh 76

Losing Silva, Zinchenko, and Sterling to some extent is a bit stupid in one window if you ask me as it takes time to get to grips for new players with Pep’s system. I don’t think it’s a smart gamble on his part.
Silva ?

Charles Miller

Decided to change Cancelo's role exactly in this match. He just can't resist the tentation to overthink at crucial games.

Mercurial

All that overthinking and tinkering for the big games and the subsequent losses have brought much Joy over the years. :lol:

Edwards6

He's so stubborn, got Grealish and Mahrez on the bench why doesn't he use them?

padr81

Supports
Man City
Decided to change Cancelo's role exactly in this match. He just can't resist the tentation to overthink at crucial games.
He had no choice, Salah always rinses Cancelo (as he did in their one coming together today). Ake on Salah and Cancelo with Jota was the right call, Ake did a good job with Mo who only had once chance before the goal. Cancelo bottling another challenge on Salah cost him today.

always_hoping

Winning the Champions league since leaving Barcelona and Anfield with supporters in attendance is Peps Kryptonite.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
It’s a bit expensive but rival fans throwing money at him whenever his team is struggling is good banter.

Skills

Snitch
He fecked up yday. There was no reason for Gundogan to play yesterday.

padr81

Supports
Man City
It’s a bit expensive but rival fans throwing money at him whenever his team is struggling is good banter.
You think coin throwing is banter? Really? Is it banter when it happens to others?

Congrats on your post though, you win the stupidest post on redcafe of the week award.

Red Star One

It would be awful to see Arsenal win the league, so Pep can have the PL, but I'm already looking forward to his overthinking in the knock out stages of the CL.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
I think he will quit at the end of the season - whether it is in glory or frustration, depends on City winning the CL. Either ways he has been a success at City and has given them a solid bump in stature.

Suedesi

You think coin throwing is banter? Really? Is it banter when it happens to others?

Congrats on your post though, you win the stupidest post on redcafe of the week award.
I don't know why but I found this tweet really funny:

3 coins and a piece of gum, hardly like he was showered with led

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
You think coin throwing is banter? Really?
I was thinking more of the banter of the future and said money not coins and that it would be expensive. But I still like the idea of rival fans throwing money at him whenever his team is struggling, yes.

Maybe Monopoly money. Or Monopoly money with oil or fake blood smeared all over it. Something like that to remind him who he’s working for.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I was thinking more of the banter of the future and said money not coins and that it would be expensive. But I still like the idea of rival fans throwing money at him whenever his team is struggling, yes.

Maybe Monopoly money. Or Monopoly money with oil or fake blood smeared all over it. Something like that to remind him who he’s working for.
Don't mind me, I'm just a cranky cnut on Monday mornings.

Silverman

Even as a United fan, I don't think ya can dislike this guy.
He just lives in his own wee world.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
He fecked up yday. There was no reason for Gundogan to play yesterday.
100%. Classic Pep over thinking. Why did he want to set up in a pseudo 3-5-2?

Why leave Foden on for 90 mins? He was shite - yesterday needed someone who’s comfortable taking players on, such as Grealish.

KdB getting short change on that right channel - should have brought on Mahrez and tucked KdB inside.