'Pep' Guardiola sack watch

Gazza

City are just a terrible club. They have to be the least respected and noteworthy top team ever. Even during this period when they've dominated the league, Liverpool and United are the paper sellers. You cant buy class as they say.
They’ve arguably played the best football the league has ever seen but they lack the storyline, a “narrative” as Gary Neville would put it. All the other League champions had a more interesting path to get there. United and Fergie building a dynasty with a French maverick and a crop of academy players. Arsenal and Wenger the professor transforming a club that had been known for British workmanlike football. Mourinho a brash, suave young manager with Chelsea. City are just doing what you would expect of a club with limitless funds and the best manager and back office in the game.

cyberman

If you've found your words, what in the article is actually disgusting?
Not sure being a character witness for a man accused of 7 rapes that includes the words but I don’t know what he does in his private time is the best course of action.
It’s a problem over here in Ireland, a lot of criminals get character witnesses off of the local priest or GAA coach and they get a stupidly reduced sentence because of it. But I’m sure Saint Pep having this opinion means much more.
He’s such a nice guy to other men, means he hasn’t it in him to rape women. I thought Pep was smarter than this but his history tells us otherwise

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Not sure being a character witness for a man accused of 7 rapes that includes the words but I don’t know what he does in his private time is the best course of action.
It’s a problem over here in Ireland, a lot of criminals get character witnesses off of the local priest or GAA coach and they get a stupidly reduced sentence because of it. But I’m sure Saint Pep having this opinion means much more.
He’s such a nice guy to other men, means he hasn’t it in him to rape women. I thought Pep was smarter than this but his history tells us otherwise
It would be absolutely disgusting for anyone to make this statement, agreed. Luckily Pep didn't say that, and added the caveat that Mendy's private life was not under his purview. The compliment was in response to a question put to him on the stand.

And if the defense attorney tries to make this connection, that since Mendy was an excellent employee he possibly couldn't rape, the prosecution should immediately refute that.

I also think it's important to remember that in the setting he is, he's literally innocent until the prosecution convinces the jury he's guilty beyond reasonable doubt. I'm not aware that's happened yet. As heinous as the crimes he is accused of doing are, he remains that... accused, and is entitled to all the rights such have. Such as character witnesses.

cyberman

It would be absolutely disgusting for anyone to make this statement, agreed. Luckily Pep didn't say that, and added the caveat that Mendy's private life was not under his purview. The compliment was in response to a question put to him on the stand.

And if the defense attorney tries to make this connection, that since Mendy was an excellent employee he possibly couldn't rape, the prosecution should immediately refute that.

I also think it's important to remember that in the setting he is, he's literally innocent until the prosecution convinces the jury he's guilty beyond reasonable doubt. I'm not aware that's happened yet. As heinous as the crimes he is accused of doing are, he remains that... accused, and is entitled to all the rights such have. Such as character witnesses.
I’m not am saying he shouldn’t have the right to character witnesses, I’m saying the manager of Man City should know better than accepting a call up from the defence of a man accused of 7 rapes from 4 different women. The Man City managers account is now considered a part of a man accused of 7 rapes from 4 different womens defence.
Thats after it was revealed that City knew about him being charged and continued to play and pay him anyway for 8 months! Its a shambolic shit show from all involved and it reflects poorly on Pep to say the least

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
But that sounds more like a problem of the ruling instead of a character witness per se. If Mendy is proven guilty it would be very irritating, to put it mildly, if what Pep tells the audience about his professional behavior makes a noticeable difference. But even if it does I wouldn‘t blame Pep for telling his experience with Mendy when asked.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I’m not am saying he shouldn’t have the right to character witnesses, I’m saying the manager of Man City should know better than accepting a call up from the defence of a man accused of 7 rapes from 4 different women. The Man City managers account is now considered a part of a man accused of 7 rapes from 4 different womens defence.
Thats after it was revealed that City knew about him being charged and continued to play and pay him anyway for 8 months! Its a shambolic shit show from all involved and it reflects poorly on Pep to say the least
I think that your main concern is that the jury may be impressionable by a character witness with as much standing as Pep, such that they would give undue bias to Mendy? If so, that is a valid concern, such that the judge/prosecution should have ruled to eliminate that option.

Otherwise, I know you're insistent on mentioning the crime Mendy is accused of, but you can't make an argument that it's ok for Pep to be a character witness for a minor crime like shoplifting, but it's not ok for Pep to be a character witness for a major crime like rape.

It goes without saying that if your mind is already made up on the guilt of the accused you'll see any actions done to aid him in court as heinous and despicable... Which is understandable

Conor

I think that your main concern is that the jury may be impressionable by a character witness with as much standing as Pep, such that they would give undue bias to Mendy? If so, that is a valid concern, such that the judge/prosecution should have ruled to eliminate that option.

Otherwise, I know you're insistent on mentioning the crime Mendy is accused of, but you can't make an argument that it's ok for Pep to be a character witness for a minor crime like shoplifting, but it's not ok for Pep to be a character witness for a major crime like rape.

It goes without saying that if your mind is already made up on the guilt of the accused you'll see any actions done to aid him in court as heinous and despicable... Which is understandable
Being a character witness for someone accused of 7 counts of rape is a ridiculous decision.

cyberman

Pep represents one of the highest profile jobs in Britain and shouldn’t be used as a character witness for such a crime. It’s absurd. He even says Mendy asked me to come and I was happy to do it!
Even if he is innocent (big if) it’s putting too much on the line, it’s too big of a risk for such a position. The position represents too much in a community sense.
I kept mentioning 7 rapes etc because that cannot be downplayed, it’s not an ordinary situation in any sense

mshnsh

They’ve arguably played the best football the league has ever seen but they lack the storyline, a “narrative” as Gary Neville would put it. All the other League champions had a more interesting path to get there. United and Fergie building a dynasty with a French maverick and a crop of academy players. Arsenal and Wenger the professor transforming a club that had been known for British workmanlike football. Mourinho a brash, suave young manager with Chelsea. City are just doing what you would expect of a club with limitless funds and the best manager and back office in the game.
Mourinho was in the same position as Pep is now. Unlimited funds, limited history.

mshnsh

You didn't really get my point. He was a more interesting character when he came to British football. The brash young upstart taking on the establishment.
Mourinho is an interesting character (an idiot as well) but but Chelsea definitely did not have a more interesting storyline than City to get to the top. Its the same unlimited funds with a reknown manager at helm.

I agree with your United and Arsenal points though.

Suedesi

Find them boring as feck. I'd rather watch a Liverpool or Arsenal match than City

Skills

Snitch
He just can't help himself can he? He can have the best starting XI ever, but he'll feck around for no other reason but his own amusement until he gets punished for it.

Last edited:

phelans shorts

I wouldn’t be so sure. He’s long been guilty of trying to be too clever in the big games.
He does, but his outright saying it feels like a double bluff to me. If he was outdoing himself this time I reckon he’d be more likely to say something like “of course I’ll be playing my strongest team” rather than alluding to that reputation.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He does, but his outright saying it feels like a double bluff to me. If he was outdoing himself this time I reckon he’d be more likely to say something like “of course I’ll be playing my strongest team” rather than alluding to that reputation.
Fans always talk about these bluffs and mind games but it rarely ever happens. Fergie and Mourinho used to do it back in the day occasionally but I question if it was ever mind games and more down to late fitness tests or players agreeing to painkillers.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I hope he picks a full strength team tonight in the cup game and they get a few injuries.

phelans shorts

Fans always talk about these bluffs and mind games but it rarely ever happens. Fergie and Mourinho used to do it back in the day occasionally but I question if it was ever mind games and more down to late fitness tests or players agreeing to painkillers.
I know what you’re saying, I just don’t see Pep playing anything other than his usual side this weekend. He’s given the press their sound bite that plays into his past moments, probably part of a light hearted joke answer. If he was doing a Pep then I don’t think he’d be talking about it beforehand.

cyberman

I know what you’re saying, I just don’t see Pep playing anything other than his usual side this weekend. He’s given the press their sound bite that plays into his past moments, probably part of a light hearted joke answer. If he was doing a Pep then I don’t think he’d be talking about it beforehand.
He isn’t happy with his players or performances for a long time now. There’s actually something to fix and figure out even with his first choice 11.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I wouldn’t be so sure. He’s long been guilty of trying to be too clever in the big games.
I'd pretty much agree with phelan, this just reads like a shit attempt at mind games, I don't think he ever proclaimed his intentions of doing a pep beforehand and see no reason why he would start now.

LordSpud

This bald fraud is old news. There's a new sheriff in town, he wears a big red ten (Hag) gallon hat.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'd pretty much agree with phelan, this just reads like a shit attempt at mind games, I don't think he ever proclaimed his intentions of doing a pep beforehand and see no reason why he would start now.
What would it achieve though, ten Hag isn’t going to try to second guess his weird and wonderful new tactic. He’s going to prepare his players exactly the same as he would if Pep hadn’t said it and Pep would know this.

He’s just being candid, it’s a message to his players that they’re not working hard enough and not performing as he expects them to.