g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

'Pep' Guardiola sack watch

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
I really hope we beat the bald, arrogant prick regardless of what tactics he uses. He obviously thinks a lot of himself.
Still have no idea where this theory comes from, he's incredibly self-deprecating and is one of the few top managers to make a point of saying that his players deserve all the credit for his success. Certainly a flawed man but arrogance isn't one of those flaws IMO.

Ladron de redcafe

Still have no idea where this theory comes from, he's incredibly self-deprecating and is one of the few top managers to make a point of saying that his players deserve all the credit for his success. Certainly a flawed man but arrogance isn't one of those flaws IMO.
Irrational people are always going to find a reason to dislike someone and the intransigence of insisting that a trait you're hellbent on deciding someone exhibits despite all the evidence to the contrary gives away someone's irrationality.

He's always been uncomfortable when praised and seems comfortable to have hid body of work determine his all-time standing rather than needing to go on Trumpesque rants telling everyone how great he is every 2 weeks ala some of the other managers over past two decades.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Irrational people are always going to find a reason to dislike someone and the intransigence of insisting that a trait you're hellbent on deciding someone exhibits despite all the evidence to the contrary gives away someone's irrationality.

He's always been uncomfortable when praised and seems comfortable to have hid body of work determine his all-time standing rather than needing to go on Trumpesque rants telling everyone how great he is every 2 weeks ala some of the other managers over past two decades.
Definitely one thing he's not is arrogant or cocky. Perhaps he can come off as unlikeable in interviews but people are quick to judge someone without ever actually knowing much about them.

Pep is a very humble person, of course he has a huge ego and is a sore loser but what great winners and successful people don't have this as well?

It's only when he finally retires will people appreciate just how good he was and how he changed football.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
He’s also incredibly lucky to have had the squads he has, but let’s not get into that.
How is it luck? He's the best manager in the world, he'll always be wanted by top clubs with lots of money.

Or are you one of those people that think he needs to "prove" himself by winning with a cheap squad?

Member 125398

He's the best manager in the world
That's a debatable statement. He hasn't won the CL (yet) with the richest team in history. There's also the stain of the drugs scandal and ensuing cover-up at Barcelona.

Shark

@NotShark
How is it luck? He's the best manager in the world, he'll always be wanted by top clubs with lots of money.

Or are you one of those people that think he needs to "prove" himself by winning with a cheap squad?
I don't think he needs to do it, but it's still something that'll always be brought up. Ferguson(Aberdeen), Klopp(Dortmund) and Mourinho(Inter) all won without having the best team in the country or Europe.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Hope we batter them

This is nothing more than Pep poking fun at the journalists and how they say he constantly over thinks things. It was clear as day in the interview he wasn't serious.

Sweet Square

Arguable but fair point
Tbh I think it’s extremely close between them. City were the better side for the two legs last season but ultimately what counts is winning.

Also Ancelotti achievements last season - becoming the manager with the most CL titles and the first manager to win league titles in 5 countries puts him in the all time greats(Although I can Pep achieving the same in his career at some point).

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Judging by the players he is resting today, Pep is all set to go with a crazy lineup on Saturday...... like Foden--Haaland--Mahrez up front and KDB--Bernardo--Rodri in midfield.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Is Guardiola seeing Shaw playing as a CB, then not wanting to be to 1 up by ETH by playing Walker as a CB too? :lol:

Zen86

He will, and he’s obviously done well with the three clubs he’s managed. But he’s pretty much always had the best squad in the league wherever he’s been. Winning titles with Barcelona, Bayern, and City aren’t the most spectacular feats.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Curious to hear your thoughts for Saturday. Are you bullish? For once i have confidence going into the match, which means we will get battered!
I was talking about this with the Religion earlier, the form our defence is in vs Rashford as long as Ten Hag doesn't play a crazy high line vs Erling I think you guys have a huge chance. We're not putting teams away recently and we're all over the place at the back with Dias out, Cancelo woeful, Walker half fit. Lewis and Stones vs Rashford has me well worried.

That was before todays horror show, hopefully 10 of these guys won't be on the pitch.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
He’s also incredibly lucky to have had the squads he has, but let’s not get into that.
He put those squads together, did a far better job than certain other managers who also spent serious millions

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Fans always talk about these bluffs and mind games but it rarely ever happens. Fergie and Mourinho used to do it back in the day occasionally but I question if it was ever mind games and more down to late fitness tests or players agreeing to painkillers.
Fergie was playing mind games, it was his default setting

Zen86

He put those squads together, did a far better job than certain other managers who also spent serious millions
He inherited the core of that Barcelona team (with possibly the greatest player ever to boot), took over a treble winning Bayern, and had a blank cheque book at City who had already been winning leagues in the years before.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
He inherited the core of that Barcelona team (with possibly the greatest player ever to boot), took over a treble winning Bayern, and had a blank cheque book at City who had already been winning leagues in the years before.
I was commenting on the City years, the rest is true of course, they have won the PL or been second every season bar one, I think it is, since he got there, the majority of the squad he's acquired, spending mpney doesn't make a team, it helps of course, but you only have to look at United to know it's not guaranteed

Zen86

I was commenting on the City years, the rest is true of course, they have won the PL or been second every season bar one, I think it is, since he got there, the majority of the squad he's acquired, spending mpney doesn't make a team, it helps of course, but you only have to look at United to know it's not guaranteed
It helps when you can buy multiple highly priced players for each position to effectively see what sticks, and afford to rotate those names whenever you see fit. Money doesn’t guarantee success, but City have pretty much had a production-line style playbook on players in the last decade. As for us, we’re pretty much the poster child of how not to spend money. For all the Pogba’s we’ve brought over the years, we’ve also padded the squad with the likes of Cavani, Schweinsteiger etc. We have Woodward to thank for that.

SER19

He's self depreciating because it eats him alive knowing he sold his footballing soul to Abu Dhabi and spent a billion to try win a third CL. He knows that people will raise the differences between the way he's won in england, and clough/ferguson, if anybody tries to make a comparison.

oneway

He's self depreciating because it eats him alive knowing he sold his footballing soul to Abu Dhabi and spent a billion to try win a third CL. He knows that people will raise the differences between the way he's won in england, and clough/ferguson, if anybody tries to make a comparison.
We were the biggest spenders during Sir Alex and we only had to compete vs Arsenal and Chelsea. You can’t take away what he’s done at City, don’t forget he did win trophies at Barca and Bayern.

SER19

We were the biggest spenders during Sir Alex and we only had to compete vs Arsenal and Chelsea. You can’t take away what he’s done at City, don’t forget he did win trophies at Barca and Bayern.
Not going into this conversation again. Look up the season by season spending for the first decade of the premier league. Hint, in the first ten seasons united were top spenders once. Also, the argument that we only competed with arsenal and chelsea, is just a ridiculous take not really worthy of engaging with.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think you need to research this more fully.

Also “won trophies at Bayern”:lol:

Kammy26

This is BS we were the biggest spenders in only 4 seasons from 1992 to 2013.

During which time Chelsea and Liverpool both spent more than us.

It bugs me when fans try to paint fergies success down to money. Are you even a United fan?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
This is BS we were the biggest spenders in only 4 seasons from 1992 to 2013.

During which time Chelsea and Liverpool both spent more than us.

It bugs me when fans try to paint fergies success down to money. Are you even a United fan?
Can you people stop reducing spending to transfer fees?

Do you think our first team spend on salaries was peanuts?

To say SAF spent a lot does not take away from the man's genius. We've seen many spend a lot and do nothing. Spending is no guarantee of success, we don't have to pretend like United didn't spend big as well ffs