'Pep' Guardiola sack watch

mu4c_20le

He's not even better than Mourinho.... He always has everything set up perfectly for him. Barca, Bayern, and Barca II.

cyberman

Guardiola is a top 5 best ever managers in history regardless of people on internet forum agreeing on it or not.

And there's still 21 games to be played in the current league title.
I never said there weren’t 21 games to be played? I’m also wondering where this court of elders that decide who top 5 are that’s not just you stating your opinion as fact?
I’m just going to point out that even Pep doesn’t play like a Pep team anymore before anybody runs in here talking about influences.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
I never said there weren’t 21 games to be played? I’m also wondering where this court of elders that decide who top 5 are that’s not just you stating your opinion as fact?
I’m just going to point out that even Pep doesn’t play like a Pep team anymore before anybody runs in here talking about influences.
Pep teams always play like his teams.. if you think because he is not using a false 9 in his selection this is not a Pep team you are not paying attention. Everything else is just a stereotype created by the fans and media.

Zen86

No, but the way in which he won a lot of those titles is pretty spectacular.
Not really. The more spectacular feat is Klopp keeping toe to toe with them having spent a lot less, with a CL in there to boot. That said, personally I see the high points totals as a symptom of the league being significantly weaker in recent years.

Pintu

He's not even better than Mourinho.... He always has everything set up perfectly for him. Barca, Bayern, and Barca II.
He is definitely better than the current version of Mourinho… The latter is on his way to have Roma miss on top 5 for 2 years in a row… (3 total but he wasn’t there for the first one).

ShinjiNinja26

We were the biggest spenders during Sir Alex and we only had to compete vs Arsenal and Chelsea. You can’t take away what he’s done at City, don’t forget he did win trophies at Barca and Bayern.
When are people going to stop peddling this complete and utter bollocks? Take 2 minutes out your day and do some fecking research!

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
He is definitely better than the current version of Mourinho… The latter is on his way to have Roma miss on top 5 for 2 years in a row… (3 total but he wasn’t there for the first one).
I'm convinced that for some you're not a great manager until you perform some real life version of a Football Manager expert level save :D

Because for some (key point: no one in the footballing world), that's how you measure a Manager's quality.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Waiting to see what he does against us. He overthinks big games and it more or less costs them every time. If things don’t go his way and the league gets more competitive which it is doing I can see him leaving. ETH is here to take over and he won’t want to stay around for that.

mu4c_20le

Really?

Someone will be along shortly to add Benitez to the list.
Memes aside, Benitez deserves a lot of respect for what he built there. Hamstrung by incompetent recruitment and owners, he still challenged one of SAF's best teams.

I shouldn't need to explain Mourinho though, what he achieved with Porto was nothing short of incredible and he started a dynasty with Chelsea. Then did it again with Inter in a very short time. Shame he didn't move onto international management afterwards as he was clearly burned out by club football.

Scottynaldinho

Waiting to see what he does against us. He overthinks big games and it more or less costs them every time. If things don’t go his way and the league gets more competitive which it is doing I can see him leaving. ETH is here to take over and he won’t want to stay around for that.
We're nowhere near their level. ETH proven nothing yet.

DJ_21

We're nowhere near their level. ETH proven nothing yet.
That’s why I said is here ‘to’ not yet there but soon will be. Process may be quicker than we think. If we can pick up our first trophy under ETH this season then that will help.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Memes aside, Benitez deserves a lot of respect for what he built there. Hamstrung by incompetent recruitment and owners, he still challenged one of SAF's best teams.

I shouldn't need to explain Mourinho though, what he achieved with Porto was nothing short of incredible and he started a dynasty with Chelsea. Then did it again with Inter in a very short time. Shame he didn't move onto international management afterwards as he was clearly burned out by club football.
Yes, Benitez was great at his best, but I bring him up to highlight the absurdity of rating managers solely by their "overachieving" bests while ignoring their lows and general consistency, because otherwise why am I not seeing Raineri in any "best manager" rankings?

Pintu

I shouldn't need to explain Mourinho though, what he achieved with Porto was nothing short of incredible and he started a dynasty with Chelsea. Then did it again with Inter in a very short time.
He didn’t start it at Inter. They’d won the league thrice under Mancini, including one with 97 points (record at the time)… But he had them overcome their supposed CL curse.

Shame he didn't move onto international management afterwards as he was clearly burned out by club football.
Then he wouldn’t have the chance to win the conference league (while finishing 6th) and tattoo it to his body…

cyberman

Pep teams always play like his teams.. if you think because he is not using a false 9 in his selection this is not a Pep team you are not paying attention. Everything else is just a stereotype created by the fans and media.
He doesn’t though. He adapted from Barca to Bayern and radically changed his style after a year at City and has radically changed it again.
IMO that’s because his style isn’t the optimal style that modern football is morphing into. The fullbacks turning into inverted midfielders is gone at the top level, the attacking fullbacks are back to what they were years ago, up and down to the byline. Midfielders aren’t there to over- recycle the ball anymore and has become a lot more direct and focused on pace and power from a front three.
The influence ofJose’s Chelsea, our 08 team and Madrids ridiculous front 3/4 had a lot more influence over modern football than Peps style.
Im not saying he isn’t a winner, he has to be with the constant resources he has had but that claim to be one of the best ever is weakening every time he overthinks the biggest games. He has fecked up Europe too many times now for it to be waved away. Out thought too many times by the opposition manager in high stakes, second legs for it not to be a managerial fault.
This year, through their transfer mistakes, means he hasn’t got the bestest best squad in the league anymore and look where it’s landing him.

mu4c_20le

@Pintu sorry that was confusing, by "did it" I meant he went and won the whole lot in a very short time (2 years)

el3mel

It's not even a mater of contest. His numbers, trophies and records speak for themselves. Some people thinking otherwise, while respectable alright, isn't going to change how much he won and achieved in the game. Some were saying Ferguson success was due to referee corruption for example, shocker! Doesn't change anything from the ultimate fact Ferguson was one of the best managers in history. Minority doesn't matter.

el3mel

Look, we are all United fans but is this for real? You actually believe Guardiola would want to run away from Ten Hag? Come on..

DJ_21

Look, we are all United fans but is this for real? You actually believe Guardiola would want to run away from Ten Hag? Come on..
Not just Ten Hag… the league itself. He likes it all his own way and if it starts getting competitive do you think he’ll stay? If he doesn’t win a league in 2 years or CL then I think that will be him… he’ll start whinging about how much money Newcastle have started spending… he’ll be an hypocrite.

el3mel

Not just Ten Hag… the league itself. He likes it all his own way and if it starts getting competitive do you think he’ll stay? If he doesn’t win a league in 2 years or CL then I think that will be him… he’ll start whinging about how much money Newcastle have started spending… he’ll be an hypocrite.
He joined the league at the same time Conte and Mourinho joined it, and he stayed when Klopp won the league with 99 points. What's so much competitive about the current league ? Chelsea are shit, Liverpool are declining and Spurs are irrelevant. United are starting a rebuild but still nowhere near a massive threat. Arsenal are having a good season after several shit years. That's about it. Nothing really changed in the league since he joined it.

DJ_21

He joined the league at the same time Conte and Mourinho joined it, and he stayed when Klopp won the league with 99 points. What's so much competitive about the current league ? Chelsea are shit, Liverpool are declining and Spurs are irrelevant. United are starting a rebuild but still nowhere near a massive threat. Arsenal are having a good season after several shit years. That's about it. Nothing really changed in the league since he joined it.
Yes but give it time. Chelsea and Liverpool won’t be shit forever. Newcastle are on the rise. We’re on the rise, arsenal are looking good and set up for years. We’ll see what happens anyway. He’s desperate for the CL. So he probably won’t leave until he eventually wins that with them.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
He doesn’t though. He adapted from Barca to Bayern and radically changed his style after a year at City and has radically changed it again.
IMO that’s because his style isn’t the optimal style that modern football is morphing into. The fullbacks turning into inverted midfielders is gone at the top level, the attacking fullbacks are back to what they were years ago, up and down to the byline. Midfielders aren’t there to over- recycle the ball anymore and has become a lot more direct and focused on pace and power from a front three.
The influence ofJose’s Chelsea, our 08 team and Madrids ridiculous front 3/4 had a lot more influence over modern football than Peps style.
Im not saying he isn’t a winner, he has to be with the constant resources he has had but that claim to be one of the best ever is weakening every time he overthinks the biggest games. He has fecked up Europe too many times now for it to be waved away. Out thought too many times by the opposition manager in high stakes, second legs for it not to be a managerial fault.
This year, through their transfer mistakes, means he hasn’t got the bestest best squad in the league anymore and look where it’s landing him.
No sorry it seems you dont understand or do not want to understand what the Pep Guardiola style is. IT IS NOT TIKI-TAKA and it never was ffs..Normally people think his ultimative style is what Barcelona used to play in his 4 years there BUT there is one big IF - it depends on the qualities of the players..Barcelona kept the ball forever because it had probably one of the best midfields in history. His Bayern and City teams didnt so of course these teams didnt play quite like Barcelona. Guardiolas basic style is the positional play and yeah,i repeat myself he didnt change it, not one bit - it is absolutely, 100 percent the same now at City as it was when he first coached Barcelona B in 2007. The only difference is the quality of the players he has and how to utilize them at their maximal potential.

Last edited:

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
If things don’t go his way and the league gets more competitive which it is doing I can see him leaving. ETH is here to take over and he won’t want to stay around for that.
Did you just hibernate through Klopp's Liverpool since 2018?

padr81

Supports
Man City
This thread is gonna look hilarious at the end of the season as it has so many times before. The same people never ever, ever learn.
Found out, football has moved on, no influence on the modern game, his style had no effect on modern football... never ending cycle of the same nonsense.

padr81

Supports
Man City
No sorry it seems you dont understand or do not want to understand what the Pep Guardiola style is. IT IS NOT TIKI-TAKA and it never was ffs..Normally people think his ultimative style is what Barcelona used to play in his 4 years there BUT there is one big IF - it depends on the qualities of the players..Barcelona kept the ball forever because it had probably one of the best midfields in history. His Bayern and City teams didnt so of course these teams didnt play quite like Barcelona. Guardiolas basic style is the positional play and yeah,i repeat myself he didnt change it, not one bit - it is absolutely, 100 percent the same now at City as it was when he first coached Barcelona B in 2007. The only difference is the quality of the players he has and how to utilize them at their maximal potential.
Pep has openly said numerous times how much he dislikes tiki taka but it never sinks in, all possession based football is tiki taka according to a few who couldn't tell Spain 2008 from Barca 2010 from LVG's United.

Literally Pep - "I loathe all that passing for the sake of it, all that tiki-taka. It's so much rubbish and has no purpose. You have to pass the ball with a clear intention, with the aim of making it into the opposition's goal. It's not about passing for the sake of it.
Be yourselves. You need to dig into your own DNA. I hate tiki-taka. Tiki-taka means passing the ball for the sake of it, with no clear intention. And it's pointless.

Don't believe what people say. Barça didn't do tiki-taka! It's completely made up! Don't believe a word of it! In all team sports, the secret is to overload one side of the pitch so that the opponent must tilt its own defence to cope. You overload on one side and draw them in so that they leave the other side weak.

And when we've done all that, we attack and score from the other side. That's why you have to pass the ball, but only if you're doing it with a clear intention. It's only to overload the opponent, to draw them in and then to hit them with the sucker punch. That's what our game needs to be. Nothing to do with tiki-taka."

He's also slaughtered his City team the night they broke 1000 passes against Basel for being lazy with the ball.

Peps entire gameplan has ALWAYS been based on spaces and overloads not possession. Even Henry said as much when he analyzed how Barca play.

Eddy_JukeZ

People still think Jose's a better manager than Pep :lol:

That debate should have died a while ago

jm99

I'm convinced that for some you're not a great manager until you perform some real life version of a Football Manager expert level save :D

Because for some (key point: no one in the footballing world), that's how you measure a Manager's quality.
Look, I think pep will go down as a great manager, probably one of the all time greats, but surely there's a middle ground between football manager expert level save, and going from that barcelona with Messi, xavi and iniesta to a bayern team that had just won the treble and never making a CL final with them, to a city side with unlimited resources and never winning a CL with them.

It's not wrong to say that pep has had the easiest managerial challenge in history, he's done fantastically but I mean anything less with barca and bayern considering the talent would have been an embarrassment, City is more arguable, but I will say he's extremely lucky that he's had a a cross town rival in us who've spent just as much money but under Ed Woodward, so people can then say money doesn't guarantee everything

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Look, I think pep will go down as a great manager, probably one of the all time greats, but surely there's a middle ground between football manager expert level save, and going from that barcelona with Messi, xavi and iniesta to a bayern team that had just won the treble and never making a CL final with them, to a city side with unlimited resources and never winning a CL with them.
He's won it twice, though. Only three managers have won it more than twice and only one has won it more than thrice.

anything less with barca and bayern considering the talent would have been an embarrassment
This is just hindsight. He won a sextuple with Barcelona. Nobody had done that before. You are effectively saying "doing anything other than 'a larger achievement than anyone before you' would have been an embarassment." That's a ridiculous standard to hold someone to.

jm99

He's won it twice, though. Only three managers have won it more than twice and only one has won it more than thrice.

This is just hindsight. He won a sextuple with Barcelona. Nobody had done that before. You are effectively saying "doing anything other than 'a larger achievement than anyone before you' would have been an embarassment." That's a ridiculous standard to hold someone to.
Look a sextuple is great but it's basically just the treble, I know I don't give a shit if united win the charity sheld, european super cup or club world cup (well I'd give a shit that we had to win the CL to get there but the games themselves are glorified friendlies). He did great with barcelona, but they kept winning titles and a champions league after he left, whereas he went to a bayern side that just won the treble and got knocked out 5-0 on aggregate by Madrid, and I watched that second leg 4-0 was kind. His record with bayern and city particularly in Europe is really underwhelming. My view is he will go down as the best league manager of all time, well maybe second behind fergie, but he takes basically unlimited resources and sets teams up in a way that they thrash lower sides in the table. I don't think in all my years watching united, I've been less optimistic about teams down the table taking points off a rival, he almost certainly gets a higher points tally than anyone else would with these players and does it consistently. But this set up seems to let him down in the champions league, which is why he's always tinkering

jm99

Anyone got a gif of him going mad after they didn't get the penalty? :lol:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I would have more sympathy for him and his post match comments where he clearly feels an injustice if he didn't manage a club that have cheated financially and, when they're not winning, sends his players out with orders to kick lumps out of the opposition and dive.

Stupid bald cnut.

TheReligion

Abusive
Pep showing his true colours post match. Before the game he was licking our arse to try and heap on the pressure.

Rattled and I’m loving it

OverratedOpinion

Ignoring the sack watch thing as this was the only thread I could find on him.

One of the greatest managers of all time but it does feel a little like his tried and tested tactics are being more easily found out by teams now.

Overloading the midfield with full backs feels a little outdated at this point as it is 50/50 whether the opposition will still manage to find some space and now they know to play first time or very fast passes to their front players and leave you very short at the back.

He also seems to really struggle integrating a pure number 9 without it being detrimental to the rest of his team.

It feels like he is running out of ideas a little.