'Pep' Guardiola sack watch

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Pep's teams have a classic bully mentality. When they are overwhelmingly better than the opposition they're incredible. However, when they have to go toe to toe with someone they have a soft underbelly.

Losing last night is just the latest example of them losing their nerve. Think back to how City shat the bed against Spurs in Europe etc. Pep's teams are totally unused to and unable to stand up to another side that can give back. His Bayern were the same. He must thank God everyday for having Messi at Barca, and even then Mourinho drove him into a sabbatical.

Reminds me of what Zlatan said about Pep shying from confrontation. His teams reflect him as a person. I knew they'd lose last night.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
If all player in the world were right-footed or left-footed only but there are many right-footed and left-footed non-players equally in the world, he'd sign up them on free and play them because he thinks it is important to play CB with preferred foot - right-footed as RCB on the right flank and left-footed as LCB on left flank, perhaps same applied to wingers.

His obsession with the preferred foot is crazy, he lost to Chelsea because of his obsession.
Hmmm I wonder where he learnt this philosophy..

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think he'll be back to Barca within 3 years. They've got a tough period on the horizon, and saint Pep will be the only name they'll trust to take it on.

Based Adnan

Lets be real; I have had my issues with Pep, but the vast majority of his signings at City have very much been good signings at least (1). Certainly better than most of the players United where signing at the same time.

(1) Only Nolito, Bravo, Mendy (due to injuries) & maybe Angeliño deserve to fit into that catagory.
Man. City 2016/17 --> Marlos Moreno (5.5 million euros)
Man. City 2016/17 --> Claudio Bravo (18 million euros)
Man. City 2016/17 --> Nolito (18 million euros)
Man. City 2016/17 --> John Stones (55.6 million euros)
Man. City 2017/18 --> Douglas Luiz (12 million euros)
Man. City 2017/18 --> Danilo (30 million euros)
Man. City 2017/18 --> Benjamin Mendy (57.5 million euros)
Man. City 2018/19 --> Ante Palaversa (6.3 million euros)
Man. City 2019/20 --> Angelino (12 million euros)
Man. City 2019/20 --> Joao Cancelo (65 million euros)
Man. City 2019/20 --> Rodri Hernandez (70 million euros)

Total: 350 million euros

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Man. City 2016/17 --> Marlos Moreno (5.5 million euros)
Man. City 2016/17 --> Claudio Bravo (18 million euros)
Man. City 2016/17 --> Nolito (18 million euros)
Man. City 2016/17 --> John Stones (55.6 million euros)
Man. City 2017/18 --> Douglas Luiz (12 million euros)
Man. City 2017/18 --> Danilo (30 million euros)
Man. City 2017/18 --> Benjamin Mendy (57.5 million euros)
Man. City 2018/19 --> Ante Palaversa (6.3 million euros)
Man. City 2019/20 --> Angelino (12 million euros)
Man. City 2019/20 --> Joao Cancelo (65 million euros)
Man. City 2019/20 --> Rodri Hernandez (70 million euros)

Total: 350 million euros
Rodri is alright, one bad game doesn't make him a flop. He will do a Fabinho, take a season to get used to the league and become a very good PL midfielder.

AshRK

Surely the way Ole, Nuno Santo and now Lampard made his tactics look like a joke must be a worry for him. 8 losses in the league for a team he has is shocking. Any other manager he would have been scrutinized big time by the media. They have to spend big in order for Pep to dominate the league once again. And if the CL ban uphold they are in trouble.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Surely the way Ole, Nuno Santo and now Lampard made his tactics look like a joke must be a worry for him. 8 losses in the league for a team he has is shocking. Any other manager he would have been scrutinized big time by the media. They have to spend big in order for Pep to dominate the league once again. And if the CL ban uphold they are in trouble.
It's not the first time, remember his first season in the PL? And then how they adjusted successfully?

Obviously a CL ban complicates things but I'd be shocked if they look this porous next season.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
They conceed the least amount of goal occasions and dominate basically every game, their problem is that they often conceed from the few individual errors they commit.
There's a lot of exaggerations in this thread concerning the team IMO.

AshRK

It's not the first time, remember his first season in the PL? And then how they adjusted successfully?

Obviously a CL ban complicates things but I'd be shocked if they look this porous next season.
And that's why I said City's board must spend big money on players for him to continue dominating. The CL ban just complicates things even more. Sane will be gone, silva will be gone, Cancelo so far looks like a dud, Mendy is the not the same Mendy that we saw for Monaco, their CB bar laporte all look average, Fernandinho is not getting younger, Aguero suddenly is getting injured more often than not.

They need a major fix and the only realistic way to do that is buy spending big amount. It's not going to be that easy like it was say in 2017. This is even a bigger build than that imo.

adexkola

Supports
They conceed the least amount of goal occasions and dominate basically every game, their problem is that they often conceed from the few individual errors they commit.
There's a lot of exaggerations in this thread concerning the team IMO.
This is an anomaly compared to the previous 2 seasons for City. Their defensive organization for the most part was outstanding.

Again, which is why critiques of their defenders miss the whole picture. If your back line is offered little protection from midfield then you'll concede a lot of chances this way.

The Rodri-Fernandinho-Gundogan conundrum is an issue, but with Silva leaving after the season is over, it begs the question of how the rest of the midfield will look next season.

Stocar

Pep's teams have a classic bully mentality.
I guess his teams will never be people's favourites because most average fans harbour some kind of irrational hatred for the brand of football they play, as it's apparently not "proper" enough.

I always thought the funniest part were those complaints about boring football, applied to teams that regularly score the most goals and never play on the back foot. But this is the new achievement: accusing team whose biggest weakness is handling intimidation and bullying, for actually being the bullies themselves.

Proffesional sport is a ruthless business, and "soft" teams that base their game more on skill and artistry than on physicality and aggression, are an exception, and should be more appreciated, in my opinion. In some nicer world, I guess.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
This is an anomaly compared to the previous 2 seasons for City. Their defensive organization for the most part was outstanding.

Again, which is why critiques of their defenders miss the whole picture. If your back line is offered little protection from midfield then you'll concede a lot of chances this way.

The Rodri-Fernandinho-Gundogan conundrum is an issue, but with Silva leaving after the season is over, it begs the question of how the rest of the midfield will look next season.
The problem IMO is that Rodri pushes up a bit too much while he completely lacks minimum speed to recover, Gundogan and Fernandinho aren't fast either. Replacing Fernandinho as a CB with Garcia for the remaining CL games (if they beat Madrid) if he wants to stick with the Rodri-Gundogan pair in the midfield might help. Otherwise, he should go with Rodri or Gundogan with B. Silva or Foden and KDB IMO.

Reactions: berbatrick

adexkola

Supports
The problem IMO is that Rodri pushes up a bit too much while he completely lacks minimum speed to recover, Gundogan and Fernandinho aren't fast either. Replacing Fernandinho as a CB with Garcia for the remaining CL games (if they beat Madrid) if he wants to stick with the Rodri-Gundogan pair in the midfield might help. Otherwise, he should go with Rodri or Gundogan with B. Silva or Foden and KDB IMO.
Yeah I agree with all of this.

Delph 2 years ago and Zinchenko last year were instrumental as well in terms of tucking into midfield and offering additional stability, allowing Walker on the other side to push up with little impact due to his pace and ability to get back. Mendy is just fecking incapable of the basics of positioning and actual defending, and to add insult to injury, City don't get much benefit attacking wise from him.

El Jefe

I think he really needs to change his playing style now. Any team that attacks them with directness breaks his side down way too easily- We've won twice this season by playing this way, Wolves X2, Pool, Norwich at the beginning of the season, Chelsea yesterday as well.
His CBs don't have the recovery pace to get back into position in time, players like Mendy, Gundogan make way too many mistakes and they just lack a physical CB - someone who can bully the opposition attackers.
I still think he has built his side well in terms of player profile, but he lacks a proper Plan B and Plan C and the players required for that.
His style isn't necessarily a problem IMO, its the players available. City's style has always been high risk but with Fernandinho and Kompany, they had two world class defensive players with the pace and physicality to heavily mitigate their risky style. Now they have Rodri and an aging Fernandinho at CB and it's just not the same, its much slower and much less solid and that's why counter attacking sides have been such an achilles heel this season.

In their two title winning seasons, after 31 games they conceded 21 goals however this season they've conceded 33 after 31 games. Laporte being out has affected them too but I still don't trust their defence at the moment even with him in there.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
One thing I haven't understood this year is Pep's insistence of playing Fernandinho as a central defender. I understand why he tried it. Fernandinho is a great DM so the move to central defense could be a good call. But he proved early on that he is a liability with nobody behind to protect him. He's just too slow. So why insist on continuing with him? Especially when you have Kyle Walker in your squad. A guy who has played central defense for England (sure, it was in a 3) and has a ton of pace. He's also got the build to handle strong forwards. Yesterday highlighted just how bad Fernandinho has been at central defense. Not because of the penalty and red card, but everything that happened before that...

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Mendy is absolute gash! £50m for that pish? Unreal the money City have spunked on shite defenders over the last few years.
He was pretty much unplayable for the few games he played the season he came in and got a really bad injury. He’ll find form again no doubt whether it’s at city or not who knows but he’s potentially still a very good player. City need a rebuild and that’s bad news for us as it’ll keep prices up. It’ll be interesting to see what they do in the market. Sancho Camavinga Havertz Upemecano all on the market... it’s a good summer to be a rich club especially if they avoid a CL ban

GenZRed

The ONE time we needed him to win and he messes it up.

I bet Liverpool play halfheartedly against Chelsea in the penultimate game of the season too.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
One thing I haven't understood this year is Pep's insistence of playing Fernandinho as a central defender. I understand why he tried it. Fernandinho is a great DM so the move to central defense could be a good call. But he proved early on that he is a liability with nobody behind to protect him. He's just too slow. So why insist on continuing with him? Especially when you have Kyle Walker in your squad. A guy who has played central defense for England (sure, it was in a 3) and has a ton of pace. He's also got the build to handle strong forwards. Yesterday highlighted just how bad Fernandinho has been at central defense. Not because of the penalty and red card, but everything that happened before that...
Fernandinho has been great at CB this season, and even if he hadn’t you need to look at the alternative options...

Walker cannot play at CB either. He can get away with it somewhat in a 3 at the back system but his positioning, especially at defending crosses, makes him a liability.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think some people are underplaying the problems they have and the transfer mistakes they have made.

- They need another CB
- They need a defensive, athletic midfielder who can read the game well to replace Fernandinho
- They need a striker who can replace Aguero
- They need a proper option at LB

How much is that going to cost?

Their midfield hasn’t been right all season, there is no balance when Fernandinho is taken out. Those are 3-4 very expensive players that are needed.

They have to sell Mendy, Cancelo, Stones, Otamendi, Sane and even Jesus and try and use the money to find these very specific players.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Fernandinho has been great at CB this season, and even if he hadn’t you need to look at the alternative options...

Walker cannot play at CB either. He can get away with it somewhat in a 3 at the back system but his positioning, especially at defending crosses, makes him a liability.
If you think Fernandinho has been great then you are only kidding yourself. He has been good when you have completely dominated teams, but when you have been in trouble, he has been at the heart of it. Not that he's made errors (other than yesterday), he's just not a central defender and just not fast enough. And how do you know Walker can't play in that position? Yesterday after Fernandinho got sent off was the first time I've ever seen him play there for you. He's a good footballer, has a ton of pace, and is a good defender. Guarantee he would do well in that role. Plus you have others who can play RB...

RooneyLegend

Pep can be such a clown at times, he's too 'smart' for his own good. In 2017/18 he created arguably the best team this league has seen and the very next season he changes what worked so well. Sane Aguero Sterling was unreal but he decided to change this to accommodate Sterling on the left. Now he faces losing Sane on the cheap or for free with no replacement on the market better than Sane.
This one has been puzzling. He keeps fixing what isn't broken, and leaves what is broken, broken. Makes no sense at all.

Sane was demoted to second choice in the big games last season and now he wants to leave. Kompany leaves yet not center back is bought despite everyone knowing about the incompetence of Stones and Otamendi.

He did the same sort of things at Barca where he bought Fabregas when it was clear they didn't have a recognized class left back and Puyol was getting old. Ended up with Mascherano at the back. Sold Eto'o for no reason to buy a player that doesn't fit their brand of football. He really does make strange decisions.

acnumber9

When you look at the hype and the money spent, has Guardiola actually done enough? Two titles in four years is the minimum you can accept from the squad they have and so far he has failed in Europe too.

adexkola

Supports
When you look at the hype and the money spent, has Guardiola actually done enough? Two titles in four years is the minimum you can accept from the squad they have and so far he has failed in Europe too.
He is a fraud, so

About time he had a proper challenge isn't it?
What was last season then, if not a proper challenge?

acnumber9

Pep has been brilliant at City but he has a lot to do now to get them back up to the level they were at. Just like he has a lot to do when he first arrived and people pretended he walked into a world class team. The defence looks absolutely terrible. The DM spot has a player who is getting on. I'm not sure they can rely on Aguero as their 9 long term. Fullbacks appear to have regressed too. No top LB.
Pretty much all his best players were already at the club. He got a better keeper at the second go, Kyle Walker and Laporte. Probably Bernardo Silva as well in fairness. Yes he made them better than Pellegrini but they had the squad for a good manager to come in and dominate at a time when all the other top clubs were far from their best. Man United, Chelsea and Arsenal have all had their worst teams in ten years and he’s still only managed two titles. I don’t see how that can be considered a great success unless he wins the Champions League this year.

Classical Mechanic

About time he had a proper challenge isn't it?
His acolytes will try to dupe you into believing that buying a new centre back for City is a big challenge.

Pretty much all his best players were already at the club. He got a better keeper at the second go, Kyle Walker and Laporte. Probably Bernardo Silva as well in fairness. Yes he made them better than Pellegrini but they had the squad for a good manager to come in and dominate at a time when all the other top clubs were far from their best. Man United, Chelsea and Arsenal have all had their worst teams in ten years and he’s still only managed two titles. I don’t see how that can be considered a great success unless he wins the Champions League this year.
100%. Two big pots in 4 seasons would be an exceptionally poor ROI considering transfer spend and the reputation of the ‘genius’.

Complete domination of the League Cup is scant consolation, more of an embarrassment really.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
PSG need a CL, Pep needs another CL. Perfect fit i would say. Would be my guess for next move.
I think he's a shoe in for Juve. Sarri is basically doing the growing pains bit (of changing their style of play) ready for him.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think he's a shoe in for Juve. Sarri is basically doing the growing pains bit (of changing their style of play) ready for him.
I hope they are saving money too, because he will need at least 300 million on top of having the best squad in the league to maintain that dominance!

They will still win the same trophies obviously, but they will look great doing it !

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
If you think Fernandinho has been great then you are only kidding yourself. He has been good when you have completely dominated teams, but when you have been in trouble, he has been at the heart of it. Not that he's made errors (other than yesterday), he's just not a central defender and just not fast enough. And how do you know Walker can't play in that position? Yesterday after Fernandinho got sent off was the first time I've ever seen him play there for you. He's a good footballer, has a ton of pace, and is a good defender. Guarantee he would do well in that role. Plus you have others who can play RB...
Disagree completely about Fernandinho, I was dreading the thought of him at CB but he’s been very useful there. Not heard any criticism of him inside or outside the club really.

If Walker’s been at City this long and with our problems it’s the first time you’ve seen him at CB that probably tells you something about Guardiola’s judgement of his ability to play there. For England he could be a liability there, often was caught in a bad position defending crosses. He’s not got the defensive nous to play there, defending as a full back is a different ball game to defending as a centre back. His pace saves him a lot on the flanks but the risks are higher in the middle.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Disagree completely about Fernandinho, I was dreading the thought of him at CB but he’s been very useful there. Not heard any criticism of him inside or outside the club really.

If Walker’s been at City this long and with our problems it’s the first time you’ve seen him at CB that probably tells you something about Guardiola’s judgement of his ability to play there. For England he could be a liability there, often was caught in a bad position defending crosses. He’s not got the defensive nous to play there, defending as a full back is a different ball game to defending as a centre back. His pace saves him a lot on the flanks but the risks are higher in the middle.
I don't pass my judgement based on what others say or don't say. I pass my judgment by watching the games. Fernandinho is too damn slow. But if City don't think so, then I'm good with that. Play him there next year too. Should be good :lol: :lol: :lol:

And just because Pep hasn't played him there, it doesn't mean that he can't. Ever think that maybe just Pep got it wrong? Heaven forbid...

el3mel

He's not going anywhere at the moment. They'll spend big and win the league next season, then he might start to think about moving on.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I don't pass my judgement based on what others say or don't say. I pass my judgment by watching the games. Fernandinho is too damn slow. But if City don't think so, then I'm good with that. Play him there next year too. Should be good :lol: :lol: :lol:

And just because Pep hasn't played him there, it doesn't mean that he can't. Ever think that maybe just Pep got it wrong? Heaven forbid...
He’s quicker than Laporte. He is not slow. Fernandinho is surprisingly agile for his age.

No, Guardiola can make lots of mistakes. I don’t think not playing Walker as a CB is one of them, and I imagine most football fans would agree.

Castia

City getting too much shit on here you’d think they were in 15th with the way some are going on.

They‘re second in the league with nothing to play for, they will use the league has a fitness programme for the CL next month. They put 3 past Arsenal and 5 past Burnley without breaking a sweat.

Pep fecked up not starting a striker vs Chelsea, they had enough control in that game to score a few goals but handicapped themselves without a striker.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
City getting too much shit on here you’d think they were in 15th with the way some are going on.

They‘re second in the league with nothing to play for, they will use the league has a fitness programme for the CL next month. They put 3 past Arsenal and 5 past Burnley without breaking a sweat.

Pep fecked up not starting a striker vs Chelsea, they had enough control in that game to score a few goals but handicapped themselves without a striker.
To be fair he was probably protecting Jesus who is injury prone himself, I don’t think it was a tactical innovation but the least worst option in his view.

cyberman

They have lost as many games as we have this season

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
He’s quicker than Laporte. He is not slow. Fernandinho is surprisingly agile for his age.

No, Guardiola can make lots of mistakes. I don’t think not playing Walker as a CB is one of them, and I imagine most football fans would agree.
I don't care what most football fans think. Like I said, I make my judgments on my own, not on what others say. Either way, Fernandinho is slow and not a central defender. But if Pep keeps playing him there then I won't complain one bit. Especially against us (we beat you 3 times this year already). And if Laporte is slow as well (haven't noticed to be honest), then that makes it even worse to pair them together. And no, he is not agile. We saw a few times yesterday where he just wasn't up for it. Just look at how easily he is beat on this long ball that Walker bails him out on with a goal line clearance (around the 60 second mark).

And BTW, seeing as you are so obsessed with how others feel before making your own opinion, a quick google search on Fernandinho as a defender will supply you with plenty of articles about him not being very good back there...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
100%. Two big pots in 4 seasons would be an exceptionally poor ROI considering transfer spend and the reputation of the ‘genius’.

Complete domination of the League Cup is scant consolation, more of an embarrassment really.
You do realise that's pretty much what SAF used to manage as well ? I don't believe he's in the same category as SAF but even the best - SAF, Jose, Pep etc have done extremely well to have won a league every other year in this league. That was the record of the greatest so it's a fine fine return.

When SAF was dominating the PL he wasn't replicating it in Europe because it's not easy to win. Hence the 2 wins in his United career..

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Doesn't matter. It's what you do with what you have (inside or outside the club) that matters. He took them from 4th place to the dominant team in England. He improved Sterling. Sane put in top seasons for him. Laporte was added. Silva was added. Otamendi and the likes actually produced title winning seasons. KDB and Silva put into a three man midfield that worked wonders. Jesus developed well.

Now I hope their current rut continues, and I think he's spent poorly on defence, but he's a top manager and his achievements thus far there have been excellent. People have this weird notion that an all time great manager is supposed to win the CL every two to four years.