Pep Guardiola

darioterios

Looked for some sort of 'football books' thread but couldn't find any recent ones. Just finished Guillem Ballague's book on Pep's time at Barcelona. Really interesting and worth a read.

Gonna start on Patrick Barcklay's one on Mourinho now.
Trying to build up a collection.
books about Pep and Mour, you can try Marti Perarnau's Pep Confidential about his debut season at Bayern, The Special One by Diego Torres about Mourinho's 'dark side'.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
books about Pep and Mour, you can try Marti Perarnau's Pep Confidential about his debut season at Bayern, The Special One by Diego Torres about Mourinho's 'dark side'.
Definitely will check them out. Thanks.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
@Mciahel Goodman

every players of barca could have known where to pass on the ball even before they had the ball under their feet. you can't do that without the success of their la masia. that's the strength that they can excel and no on ever can match. i have no objection about that. but the football they played was very monotone. even in their prime time celtics could manage to upset them with a 2-0 scoreline by parking the bus.

for our 98' squad we indeed also played tiki taka in the opponent's half, just not at such obsession level as that barca did. but our pace was much greater than barca. there was numerous times the opponents were running their socks off and we were going to secure a win at the last 15 min time slot.

and the most important thing is, whenever you can think about a way to score a goal in football, you can find it from our 98' squad. i've never seen any teams can ever do that except that one. in beckenbauer's words, our 98' squad was the most complete team in scoring goals ever seen in football
do you have a link to that quote?

Speak

what's the most recent football book you know?
I've gone through a few in the past year.
Rio Ferdinand's
Sir Alex's
Bellamy's
Redknapp's
Warnock's
Guardiola's
Keith Gillespie's
And one called Every Boy's Dream, which is about the youth/academy system in England.

None are particluarly recent though. I have Neville's latest one still to read, and one about Villas Boaz too, after Mourinho's.
Hoping to do a bit of shopping on Amazon, and pick up four or five new ones.

I most enjoyed Bellamy's and the Guardiola one.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Pirlo's book looks very interesting. He's got some killer anecdotes and comes across as the most glorious manly man of all time. Suave motherfecker, this Pirlo.

izec

He is a weird man. His sideline behaviour and actions look funny and weird at the same time.

darioterios

I've gone through a few in the past year.
Rio Ferdinand's
Sir Alex's
Bellamy's
Redknapp's
Warnock's
Guardiola's
Keith Gillespie's
And one called Every Boy's Dream, which is about the youth/academy system in England.

None are particluarly recent though. I have Neville's latest one still to read, and one about Villas Boaz too, after Mourinho's.
Hoping to do a bit of shopping on Amazon, and pick up four or five new ones.

I most enjoyed Bellamy's and the Guardiola one.
seems most are bios. are you interested in stuff like "inverting pyramid" or "brilliant orange" and the likes?

darioterios

Pirlo's book looks very interesting. He's got some killer anecdotes and comes across as the most glorious manly man of all time. Suave motherfecker, this Pirlo.
as a United fan, I just couldn't stop laughing knowing the part about Park Ji-sung:lol:

Ryan7

Looked for some sort of 'football books' thread but couldn't find any recent ones. Just finished Guillem Ballague's book on Pep's time at Barcelona. Really interesting and worth a read.

Gonna start on Patrick Barcklay's one on Mourinho now.
Trying to build up a collection.
Good book that by Barclay. Read it recently. Balague's is fantastic.

Speak

seems most are bios. are you interested in stuff like "inverting pyramid" or "brilliant orange" and the likes?
Yeah, I am into those too. I think I was after Rio's and Sir Alex's and ended up being linked to other bios. And then ended up buying loads.

Will probably go for some like Inverting pyramid, which I've heard about. There's also one about scouting, which has mixed reviews, that I might buy. I also want to find a few about the commercial side of things.

I think I'm an armchair/would-be psychologist, which is why I veer towards biographies.

rover

@Fortitude

i read it from soccernet. i tried to get it back for you but apparently they have purged their old articles prior to year 2000 hence it's no longer searchable. and no easy google search can be done neither. the most closest wordings i can recall would be manchester united could score all kind of goals that can be found in football.

. yorke & cole could do penetration at the central area;
. giggs could cross from deep and beckham could cross from high line, or beckham could send out from a freekick and we had players who could score from powerful headers (from pallister/bruce to stam/johnson) or from a diver (yorke) or from a runner by the near post (keano);
. both beckham and scholes could pass a 50 yard through ball from deep to pick up a runner;
. giggs could do a solo run on his own;
. beckham could score directly from excellent free kicks or from long shots;
. keano, butt & scholes were all good in picking up rebounds;
. we had ole as an opportunitist inside the box to be our assassin;
. sheringham could carry out some play making role as a no 10;
. mr reliable would never miss a penalty kick

what else i missed?

i was not aware of that until i read it and he was very right

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
It's a fun read, Pirlo's book. It's short enough that you could probably polish it off in one afternoon. It's a bit of a jumble though. I predict he was 6 wines deep everytime he took to his dictaphone, and there is no chronology to it. It's just snippets of things that have happened, as he remembers them whilst half-cut, probably.

Tim Howard's is great, and probably the best footballer autobiography I have read. He comes across as a great guy with enormous personality and character, as well as a lot of insight to his condition. From reading a fair few footballer autobiographies, none really talk about the challenges faced when first breaking into professional football. They give the impression that they just strolled into it. There's a real focus on what Howard has gone through and the work he put in to overcome obstacles to get where he is. It's a very uplifting read, and he is a very likeable guy.