Pep Guardiola

legball

He's just 7 years into proper management. People forget that due to the obsene amount of success he's had.

There seems to be a hilarious amount of vitriol towards him. Possibly our two final losses to his sides, or just biased to the brim Chelsea fans.
You're right, I've seen people calling his performance this year a "failure". It's so funny.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Again you are bringing in Chelsea in reply to a post which had no mention of Chelsea or Mourinho at all. You did this earlier as well, when I pointed out the loss to bayern last year, you went straight on ranting about Jose when he had nothing to do with that post either.

You clearly have sometihng against Jose or Chelsea, maybe its because he is your direct opponent. I think you should look into it for the sake of reasonable arguments.
Nope. Don't care for Jose or Chelsea. Rather them win the title than City/Liverpool. They don't affect me so it's all good.

You on the other hand are bringing Mourinho jizz into this thread. Luckily for you, you aren't the only one.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Re Chelsea fans, noone is saying Guardiola hasn't fecked up in the past. Of course he has and of course he will in the future, and he will get criticized for it by his own fans and others. But the manner and severity of criticism from you lot, and the even more ridiculous conclusions drawn therefrom, really stand out as terribly biased. Reading it, one would get the impression that other top managers don't feck up, which is obviously far from the truth.

AshfordLad

Nope. Don't care for Jose or Chelsea. Rather them win the title than City/Liverpool. They don't affect me so it's all good.

You on the other hand are bringing Mourinho jizz into this thread. Luckily for you, you aren't the only one.
No it was you who constantly bring in Mourinho as cited in many posts above, but carry on with your guargasms. No one is asking you to stop deluding yourself.

I am very rational in my evaluation of Jose, In my view he is miles behing Freguson but miles better than guardiola. Only current manager who seem to have a chance of being better than Jose is Simeone.

But you clearly dont understand much about a) football b) internet arguments, so what can someone do. Go on defend all of guardiola's losses by pointing to Mourinho. atlease Chelsea has one of those 2 incharge.

Hemil

Supports
Chelsea
Didn't this come up before too. He shouted at media 2 weeks back saying he will surely be at Bayern. And Carlo is definitely going to be sacked. It's either Carlo or Rafa at City.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Didn't this come up before too. He shouted at media 2 weeks back saying he will surely be at Bayern. And Carlo is definitely going to be sacked. It's either Carlo or Rafa at City.
He said he'll still be managing Bayern next season. Hasn't ruled out leaving in 2016. And I'm pretty confident Pellegrini will still be managing City next season.

Hemil

Supports
Chelsea
He said he'll still be managing Bayern next season. Hasn't ruled out leaving in 2016. And I'm pretty confident Pellegrini will still be managing City next season.
Do you believe Pellegrini will stay? He looks lost everytime he's asked about the future. Why not punt on Rafa short term?

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Do you believe Pellegrini will stay? He looks lost everytime he's asked about the future. Why not punt on Rafa short term?
He just gets pissed off with constant speculation that he'll leave. It's evident Pellegrini is very highly thought of by the Barcelona executives, they would not sack him just to install a stop-gap like Benitez. His first season he won the league, the league cup and was eliminated by a superior Barcelona side in Europe. This season he has faltered and we've performed poorly but he deserves another chance and I imagine he'll get it.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He just gets pissed off with constant speculation that he'll leave. It's evident Pellegrini is very highly thought of by the Barcelona executives, they would not sack him just to install a stop-gap like Benitez. His first season he won the league, the league cup and was eliminated by a superior Barcelona side in Europe. This season he has faltered and we've performed poorly but he deserves another chance and I imagine he'll get it.
How good is your imagination bob?

Anderson18

Now we will see how good he really is.

No, squad that is already among the best in Europe. He might have unlimited funds but his transfer record at Barcelona was so poor. Could've been a great option to have but I hope after Klopp we get a manager with a more direct approach like Klopp or Ancelotti.

RooneyLegend

Better yet, why not klopp? They need to sort something out as silva's prime is going to be done soon and you don't just pick up that calibre of player on the street.

prarek

He'll be at Bayern next season. After that its anyone's guess.

AshfordLad

How does that equal to being given a chance if "as you say" there is already an agreement to get guardiola in 2016. Makes no sense, if pelegrini is just there for a year with this aging squad it could be an even shitter year for city next season. I highly doubt the sheikhs with limitless money will let that happen.

I dont think guardiola will go to city, he is more likely to go to United next if the next season is a trophyless one as well. United job is still by far the most prestegious one in England and comes with similar amount of money to spend on players.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
He just lost the super cup (again) to Wolfsburg. Even Luis Enrique in some way has exposed his success to not be impossible as he is on his way to win the sextuple.

Is he really a special manager?

Last edited:

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
He just lost the super cup (again) to Wolfsburg. Even Luis Enrique in some way has exposed his success to not be impossible as he is on his way to win the sextuple.

It's a Super Cup.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I'd like to see him build a team before I judge him as manager. Like Mourinho has done, like Fergie did many times.

Blackwidow

I think you Bayern fans need to get #NeverSubMueller trending. Maybe this will help? :D

jk, it won't
You know the minute he gets subbed that we will loose such matches. It just leaves you to guess how it happens this time - who shoots the goal (had to be the Lord) or who mishits the penalty.

I do not believe that it has too much to do with his playing anymore - it is like Murphy's Law and everybody in the team seems to know that it will happen...

I do not understand Pep - does he want to dare the principle or does he want to educate Müller. You really see how he feels - it is not about substitutions because he does not have problems with it in other matches.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
You know the minute he gets subbed that we will loose such matches. It just leaves you to guess how it happens this time - who shoots the goal (had to be the Lord) or who mishits the penalty.

I do not believe that it has too much to do with his playing anymore - it is like Murphy's Law and everybody in the team seems to know that it will happen...
Well, it's always been that way. The team overall just "works" better with Müller. His goalimpact ratio completely backs that up. No other player positively influences his team's goal difference more than Müller does.

darioterios

Well, it's always been that way. The team overall just "works" better with Müller. His goalimpact ratio completely backs that up. No other player positively influences his team's goal difference more than Müller does.
where does he play now? right wing coming in centrally?

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
where does he play now? right wing coming in centrally?
Under Pep more often closer to the centre (with a license to roam), either as second striker or just behind Lewandowski, sometimes even in front of him. Much like our entire matchplan, nobody really knows what's going on anymore.

Blackwidow

Yes, this team works better with him - even when he plays on the 8. Defensively it does not matter - offensively it often does.

But - it is not only about his play.

He has a track record for this thing now. That a Götze does not change anything when subbed in for Müller - we had that a couple of times now. Robben never scored when Müller was off the pitch - we had that now sometimes, too. Damn can't he let Müller just on the pitch and substitute somebody else. His track record is known.

Neuer gave an interview to Sky England prior to the World Cup and told how important it is to have Müller on the pitch till the end in the final stages...

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
So basically all he has to on these occasions is to play Müller till the end and he refuses to do it. It definitely sounds like something Guardiola would do.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

A glorified pre season friendly is all these super cups and community shields are. Bayern lost on penalties too something surely the most bitter Pep hater can't blame him for. Does it make Mourinho a shite manager losing the 2007 CommunityShield 3-0 on penalties? I think not. These super cups/Community Shields are good if you win, but not the end of the world if you lose, nor the crystallisation that a manager is overrated in some people's minds.

Last edited:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
A glorified pre season friendly is all these super cups and community shields are. Bayern lost on penalties too something surely the most bitter Pep hater can't blame him for. Does it make Mourinho a shite manager losing the 2007 CommunityShield 3-0 on penalties? I think not. These super cups/Community Shields are good if you win, but not the end of the world if you lose, nor the crystallisation that a manager is overrated in some people's minds.
For some he will be over-rated until he comes to United.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
But... He... Did... With... Barc.. Nvm
I agree with what you're saying, but sadly in some peoples eyes, he'll forever be the man who struck it lucky

From a recent ESPN FC article from Honigsetin:
"The minuscule attention span of modern football has also resulted in people blanking out just how much of a washed-up, broken team Barca were in 2008 before Guardiola took over as a rookie. The dressing room was split, the main players spent their time off in nightclubs and the side looked like a pale imitation of the 2006 Champions League winners in subsequent European campaigns."

http://www.espnfc.com.au/blog/espn-...uardiola-battling-perception-at-bayern-munich

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
I agree with what you're saying, but sadly in some peoples eyes, he'll forever be the man who struck it lucky

From a recent ESPN FC article from Honigsetin:
"The minuscule attention span of modern football has also resulted in people blanking out just how much of a washed-up, broken team Barca were in 2008 before Guardiola took over as a rookie. The dressing room was split, the main players spent their time off in nightclubs and the side looked like a pale imitation of the 2006 Champions League winners in subsequent European campaigns."

http://www.espnfc.com.au/blog/espn-...uardiola-battling-perception-at-bayern-munich
He got rid of deadwood and made two good signings in Pique and Alves, whilst promoting Busquets. But the most important parts of that side were already there.

Compare that to what Mourinho and Ferguson have done at different clubs -- the difference is evident. Knowing how to build (and rebuild) a side isn't something all managers are good at, even coaches who are excellent in other ways. I believe Guardiola is as good a coach as there is, but in terms of building a side from scratch and becoming competitive and successful, well he has never done that. His transfer record is actually quite dodgy.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
He got rid of deadwood and made two good signings in Pique and Alves, whilst promoting Busquets. But the most important parts of that side were already there.

Compare that to what Mourinho and Ferguson have done at different clubs -- the difference is evident. Knowing how to build (and rebuild) a side isn't something all managers are good at, even coaches who are excellent in other ways. I believe Guardiola is as good a coach as there is, but in terms of building a side from scratch and becoming competitive and successful, well he has never done that. His transfer record is actually quite dodgy.

I'd agree with the part I've bolded. As for the part underlined, I think you're referring to Xavi, Iniesta and Messi and while they were already there, they hadn't become the truly great players they then became. Messi may have still ended up as great as he has been.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
I'd agree with the part I've bolded. As for the part underlined, I think you're referring to Xavi, Iniesta and Messi and while they were already there, they hadn't become the truly great players they then became. Messi may have still ended up as great as he has been.
Xavi and Iniesta (along with Puyol) had just played quite a vital part in Spain's Euro 2008 winning campaign (Xavi was named player of the tournament).

The spine of the team was there (Valdes, Abidal, Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Eto'o, Henry) -- he added Alves, Pique, and Busquets.

Messi would have been this good regardless imo.