Pep Guardiola

AshfordLad

Is that why Jose has a poor head to head record against Guardiola?

Head to head
Played - 15
Pep - 7 wins
Mourinho - 3 wins
5 draws.
Squads matter, I am sure Jose has a better head to head than SAF. Does not make him better than Sir Alex.

Jose Vs Sir Alex
P 16
W 7
D 7
L 2

I have no issue in still thinking that SAF was a lot better manager than Jose. And BTW your numbers are wrong. They dont count the Inter games where Jose pissed all over guardiola.

prarek

Squads matter, I am sure Jose has a better head to head than SAF. Does not make him better than Sir Alex.

Jose Vs Sir Alex
P 16
W 7
D 7
L 2

I have no issue in still thinking that SAF was a lot better manager than Jose. And BTW your numbers are wrong. They dont count the Inter games where Jose pissed all over guardiola.
But you said Guardiola isn't a patch on Jose. Clearly implying he's miles better. If he was indeed that great why should the quality of squad matter that much. After all its not like Jose has had scrubs to work with. He's had many world class players to work with and massive financial backing. Yet statistically Benitez has a better chance of beating Mourinho than Mourinho has of beating Guardiola. Clearly not THAT great after all is he.

AshfordLad

But you said Guardiola isn't a patch on Jose. Clearly implying he's miles better. If he was indeed that great why should the quality of squad matter that much. After all its not like Jose has had scrubs to work with. He's had many world class players to work with and massive financial backing. Yet statistically Benitez has a better chance of beating Mourinho than Mourinho has of beating Guardiola. Clearly not THAT great after all is he.
And Robbie pisses all over Guardiola then doesnt he. You further prove my point, that head to head stats (which you brought into the discussion) do not say much.
Squads are as important as managers. By your logic SAF ends up the worst of the lot, doesnt he.

prarek

And Robbie pisses all over Guardiola then doesnt he. You further prove my point, that head to head stats (which you brought into the discussion) do not say much.
Squads are as important as managers. By your logic SAF ends up the worst of the lot, doesnt he.
Nope. Im merely saying they are all top managers who have their own strengths and weaknesses but not much in it overall. So whenever one has a better team than the other its bound to make a difference. BUT if one isn't supposedly a patch on the other as you claimed then the difference in squad quality shouldn't matter as much. Surely the great Mourinho can have a great record against the poor overrated Guardiola despite having an inferior team full of world class players and massive financial backing? After all he isn't a patch on Jose.

Deleted member 78215

Jose Vs Sir Alex
P 16
W 7
D 7
L 2

Should be remembered that Jose's record vs SAF is buttered up by the strongest Chelsea team of the last 15 years coinciding with the weakest United team.

AshfordLad

Nope. Im merely saying they are all top managers who have their own strengths and weaknesses but not much in it overall. So whenever one has a better team than the other its bound to make a difference. BUT if one isn't supposedly a patch on the other as you claimed then the difference in squad quality shouldn't matter as much. Surely the great Mourinho can have a great record against the poor overrated Guardiola despite having an inferior team full of world class players and massive financial backing? After all he isn't a patch on Jose.
Why do you keep going in circles with this hear-to-head record. Your last post was enough evidence that it is not even indicative.

Internet is full of small little exaggerations its kind of useless to pull someone un for one of those.

prarek

Why do you keep going in circles with this hear-to-head record. Your last post was enough evidence that it is not even indicative.

Internet is full of small little exaggerations its kind of useless to pull someone un for one of those.
Can't be worse than your 'ran away from Mourinho' comment.

AshfordLad

Should be remembered that Jose's record vs SAF is buttered up by the strongest Chelsea team of the last 15 years coinciding with the weakest United team.
Read the post carefully, exactly what I said. Squads make all the difference. Jose almost always (apart from porto) had a better squad than SAF. Same way guadriola always had a better squad than Jose and still ended up with marginally better record against him.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
What about Arsenal? Invincibles and all, yet Jose's head to head against Wenger says otherwise.

prarek

Read the post carefully, exactly what I said. Squads make all the difference. Jose almost always (apart from porto) had a better squad than SAF. Same way guadriola always had a better squad than Jose and still ended up with marginally better record against him.
Hardly marginal when he's got more than twice as many wins.

AshfordLad

Hardly marginal when he's got more than twice as many wins.
Wrong again. Its not more than twice.
And whats the point of running in another circle again when the above discussion proved that head to head records dont mean much.

Deleted member 78215

What about Arsenal? Invincibles and all, yet Jose's head to head against Wenger says otherwise.
Well in Mourinho's first season he drew both games with Arsenal. It was the next season when Chelsea beat them twice and, at that point, the 'Invincibles' team was a fading memory, and Chelsea have had a much better than Arsenal ever since, at least they have whenever Mourinho's faced off against Wenger.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You're a Chelsea fan aren't you?

legball

There's nothing wrong with a manager losing a few games here and there, the motivation people seem to have to want to put him down is amazing at times, oh he had Messi, oh he has to do it in the PL, oh he's in a weak league etc. What nonsense, he's one of the best that believes in only a certain way to play the game, that way have and will continue to win him loads, and that way will make him lose games and look silly at times, that's the total package.

amolbhatia50k

There's nothing wrong with a manager losing a few games here and there, the motivation people seem to have to want to put him down is amazing at times, oh he had Messi, oh he has to do it in the PL, oh he's in a weak league etc. What nonsense, he's one of the best that believes in only a certain way to play the game, that way have and will continue to win him loads, and that way will make him lose games and look silly at times, that's the total package.
He's just 7 years into proper management. People forget that due to the obsene amount of success he's had.

There seems to be a hilarious amount of vitriol towards him. Possibly our two final losses to his sides, or just biased to the brim Chelsea fans.

Hemil

Supports
Chelsea
He's just 7 years into proper management. People forget that due to the obsene amount of success he's had.

There seems to be a hilarious amount of vitriol towards him. Possibly our two final losses to his sides, or just biased to the brim Chelsea fans.
Do you consider his season to be a success or failure?

amolbhatia50k

Do you consider his season to be a success or failure?
He's won the league title so the failure option is disqualified. I'm guessing it's a success for the club to win another league title. For him it's probably a very minor success because bundesliga is easy to win for bayern.

It's like mourinho winning his league titles at inter. They were successes but pretty small ones.

Blackwidow

He's won the league title so the failure option is disqualified. I'm guessing it's a success for the club to win another league title. For him it's probably a very minor success because bundesliga is easy to win for bayern.

It's like mourinho winning his league titles at inter. They were successes but pretty small ones.
Prior to the season a lot told that it would be hard for Bayern to win the league. They have not won a league title in a year after the World Cup since about 20 years...

And after they did it it is easy...

Hemil

Supports
Chelsea

Don't you think Pep has underachieved as per his club expectations? I mean anyone could win the title...

Hemil

Supports
Chelsea
Prior to the season a lot told that it would be hard for Bayern to win the league. They have not won a league title in a year after the World Cup since about 20 years...

And after they did it it is easy...
Are you kidding me? Who was saying Bayern will not win the league. And who else was going to? Have you seen the difference in quality of squads? Bayern could win their league with their 2nd playing XI also.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Don't you think Pep has underachieved as per his club expectations? I mean anyone could win the title...
A league title, a cup semi final exit on penalties, and a Champions League semi final exit; if that's a underachieving, most clubs and most managers would be over the moon about that season. Winning a treble isn't something you can expect to happen every season.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
This thread really makes me believe that Chelsea fans aren't actually football fans. They're just Mourinho fanboys and therefore feel the need to ridicule everything that their idol's main rival did and does. It's hilarious. Even Real Madrid fans usually give Guardiola a lot of credit and judge him in a sensible way. It seems like all hope is lost for Chelsea fans in that regard, at least for the ones on the Caf.

Hemil

Supports
Chelsea
A league title, a cup semi final exit on penalties, and a Champions League semi final exit; if that's a underachieving, most clubs and most managers would be over the moon about that season. Winning a treble isn't something you can expect to happen every season.
I think bare minimum would have bee the league plus the domestic cup plus the CL final atleast. Which teams Bayern faced in the league, domestic cup and till CL semis have had better squads than Bayern?

amolbhatia50k

Obviously anyone couldn't.

And no he hasn't under achieved. Two league titles in two years is not under achievement. You tell me how it's underachievement. You can criticize his decision to go to Bayern by all means. But once he is there don't put ridiculous expectations that no other manager could themselves do. Managers win the CL rarely. He was always going to struggle to win the CL. You win it 2 times in your career if you are lucky.

Now given the CL is trophy one wins rarely, how exactly has he under achieved?

Hemil

Supports
Chelsea
Obviously anyone couldn't.

And no he hasn't under achieved. Two league titles in two years is not under achievement. You tell me how it's underachievement. You can criticize his decision to go to Bayern by all means. But once he is there don't put ridiculous expectations that no other manager could themselves do. Managers win the CL rarely. He was always going to struggle to win the CL. You win it 2 times in your career if you are lucky.

Now given the CL is trophy one wins rarely, how exactly has he under achieved?
As I said, winning the league with that squad is not a big achievement. He doesn't have absolutely any competition there. Plus, its not like they won the league after a long time. He took over a treble-winning league.

We all know he has one of the best 3 squads in the world at his disposal and he has lost to both the other squads in CL. He has failed to compete with the other 2 squads due to his own tactics ( high line,etc).

amolbhatia50k

I think bare minimum would have bee the league plus the domestic cup plus the CL final atleast. Which teams Bayern faced in the league, domestic cup and till CL semis have had better squads than Bayern?
Laughable stuff. It's actually sad how much you Chelsea fans are biased against him. Ashford turned out to be a Chelsea fan too. No wonder he too holds some weird personal grudge against Guardiola although your argument doesn't like a child's at least.

Seriously, ask yourself once, how can a manager's BARE MINIMUM be almost doing a treble. Do you not realize how ridiculous that sounds?

amolbhatia50k

As I said, winning the league with that squad is not a big achievement. He doesn't have absolutely any competition there. Plus, its not like they won the league after a long time.
I didn't say it's a big achievement either. We've established that it isn't given the resources. But you're making a giant and hugely biased leap from saying "winning the league isnt a big achievement" to "league title, domestic cup title, and CL final is the BARE minimum". Real Madrid despite their chucking money in different directions took ages to win La Decima. It takes a lot of quality performance on the night and luck to do well in cup competitions. How often did SAF reach the CL final in his whole career? 4 TIMES. Mourinho. TWICE. And Pep is just 7 years into his career.

He took over a treble-winning league.
Yes, but the next manager cant be expected to win a treble or come within whiskers every year. It's a one off rare achievement. How many trebles has Mourinho done? SAF done? How many times have they come close to doing trebles like you say should be the BARE MINIMUM?

Also, I think history will tell you that expecting a manager taking over a treble winning team to replicate that is silly. It never happens.

We all know he has one of the best 3 squads in the world at his disposal and he has lost to both the other squads in CL. He has failed to compete with the other 2 squads due to his own tactics ( high line,etc).
Did you see the injury list they had? Or does that not matter because you love Mourinho and he hates guardiola?

Like everyone is saying, and you keep chelsea fans keep ingoring it, winning the CL is a rare achievement. Getting to to the final is a rare achievement. Guardiola is going to fail to win the CL another 20 times if he's in management for the long run. You can keep bashing him each of those 20 times to stoke your passion towards Mourinho but that's all it is. Mourinho will fail just as many times in the CL, so there you go.

amolbhatia50k

This thread really makes me believe that Chelsea fans aren't actually football fans. They're just Mourinho fanboys and therefore feel the need to ridicule everything that their idol's main rival did and does. It's hilarious. Even Real Madrid fans usually give Guardiola a lot of credit and judge him in a sensible way. It seems like all hope is lost for Chelsea fans in that regard, at least for the ones on the Caf.
It really is. Their team hasn't even been in competition with a Guardiola team very often. It's all fueled from a rivalry Mourinho had when he was at another club.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
The funniest thing about Chelsea fans in this thread is that they'll tell you that winning the Premier League with Chelsea is such a huge achievement because all the small teams can beat the bigger teams in the league. When it happens to Chelsea it proves what a great job Mourinho is doing. At the same time, you can read that going out in a one game knockout tie against Dortmund in the cup semifinal on penalties makes Bayern's season a failure :lol:. It's incredible that they don't realise how arrogant, ignorant and simply stupid their arguments are and that pretty much everything they write in this thread is utter nonsense as proven by what happened over decades in European football.

But I guess if Guardiola hasn't won 3 trebles before he turns 50, we should all join them in calling him an overrated manager. After all the bare minimum in a season, in which his team had ridiculous bad luck with injuries to key players, is a domestic double and a CL final and only a treble would make the season a success (I'm not even sure they'd call it a success if he wins a treble with Bayern, they'd probably call it meeting the expecations or something like that).

Football fans have lost all sense for reality if they think that a dominant league season with an unlucky semifinal cup exit and a CL semifinal is a failure.

Hemil

Supports
Chelsea
I didn't say it's a big achievement either. We've established that it isn't given the resources. But you're making a giant and hugely biased leap from saying "winning the league isnt a big achievement" to "league title, domestic cup title, and CL final is the BARE minimum". Real Madrid despite their chucking money in different directions took ages to win La Decima. It takes a lot of quality performance on the night and luck to do well in cup competitions. How often did SAF reach the CL final in his whole career? 4 TIMES. Mourinho. TWICE. And Pep is just 7 years into his career.

Yes, but the next manager cant be expected to win a treble or come within whiskers every year. It's a one off rare achievement. How many trebles has Mourinho done? SAF done? How many times have they come close to doing trebles like you say should be the BARE MINIMUM?

Also, I think history will tell you that expecting a manager taking over a treble winning team to replicate that is silly. It never happens.

Did you see the injury list they had? Or does that not matter because you love Mourinho and he hates guardiola?

Like everyone is saying, and you keep chelsea fans keep ingoring it, winning the CL is a rare achievement. Getting to to the final is a rare achievement. Guardiola is going to fail to win the CL another 20 times if he's in management for the long run. You can keep bashing him each of those 20 times to stoke your passion towards Mourinho but that's all it is. Mourinho will fail just as many times in the CL, so there you go.
You cannot even compare what competition Pep has to what Jose and Ferguson have had. Winning the treble with this Bayern team with that competition should be much easier than doing it in PL. I doubt anyone can do it in the PL now since there are 3-4 very very strong teams close to each other.

Bayern's squad is quite capable to cope with injuries. He had Mario Goetze on the bench for both games. And if he had injuries to his 2 wingers ( that means Mueller sits out too) , then he should not have played that suicidal high line vs that front 3. It was all tactical and he lost it. Injuires are just excuses. And he didn't even have that excuse last season.

I agree getting to the final is a rare achievement. But when your sqaud is top 3 in the world, it should be expected from your squad. Ferguson and Jose (apart from Madrid ) have never had this top 3 squad in the world thing I believe.

Hemil

Supports
Chelsea
The funniest thing about Chelsea fans in this thread is that they'll tell you that winning the Premier League with Chelsea is such a huge achievement because all the small teams can beat the bigger teams in the league. When it happens to Chelsea it proves what a great job Mourinho is doing. At the same time, you can read that going out in a one game knockout tie against Dortmund in the cup semifinal on penalties makes Bayern's season a failure :lol:. It's incredible that they don't realise how arrogant, ignorant and simply stupid their arguments are and that pretty much everything they write in this thread is utter nonsense as proven by what happened over decades in European football.

But I guess if Guardiola hasn't won 3 trebles before he turns 50, we should all join them in calling him an overrated manager. After all the bare minimum in a season, in which his team had ridiculous bad luck with injuries to key players, is a domestic double and a CL final and only a treble would make the season a success (I'm not even sure they'd call it a success if he wins a treble with Bayern, they'd probably call it meeting the expecations or something like that).

Football fans have lost all sense for reality if they think that a dominant league season with an unlucky semifinal cup exit and a CL semifinal is a failure.
Would you be happy as a Bayern fan if Guardiola achieves the same targets and goes out in the CL semis again next season?

amolbhatia50k

You cannot even compare what competition Pep has to what Jose and Ferguson have had. Winning the treble with this Bayern team with that competition should be much easier than doing it in PL. I doubt anyone can do it in the PL now since there are 3-4 very very strong teams close to each other.

Bayern's squad is quite capable to cope with injuries. He had Mario Goetze on the bench for both games. And if he had injuries to his 2 wingers ( that means Mueller sits out too) , then he should not have played that suicidal high line vs that front 3. It was all tactical and he lost it. Injuires are just excuses. And he didn't even have that excuse last season.

I agree getting to the final is a rare achievement. But when your sqaud is top 3 in the world, it should be expected from your squad. Ferguson and Jose (apart from Madrid ) have never had this top 3 squad in the world thing I believe.
Do you think Jose has failed this year because the EPL has been rubbish and he lost to 10-man PSG? I mean even if you think his squad isn't the best ever, going out to 10-man PSG was a little shit, wasn't it? Failed season?

Sir Alex never had a squad among the best 3 in europe? Jose didn't have it at Chelsea? Lolwut

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Would you be happy as a Bayern fan if Guardiola achieves the same targets and goes out in the CL semis again next season?
Overall after a season like this? Yeah, I'd be happy. We would have won 4 league titles in a row for the first time in our history, we'd have seen some incredible games. Do I want more? Yeah of course. Would I forget that we only won two CL titles in the last 40 years then? Certainly not.

I'm way more frustrated with our injury record and fitness problems than with our tactics, even though I criticised them as well at times. I think that's what we need to fix more than anything else. I don't think any manager in football has perfect tactics. Mourinho totally embarrassed himself against PSG despite a full week of rest for a fully fit squad and topped it off with arrogant comments beyond belief before the game. Ancelotti struggled all season with his tactics and Real's season collapsed because of a single injured player. Van Gaal, Wenger, Klopp all had massive problems with their tactics, Simeone didn't really look that special this year either. And Allegri and Enrique look the best tacticians now despite the fact that both were heavily criticised when they got their jobs at the start of the season and there's a good chance one of them will win a treble.

Football, it's a funny game after all. It's far less predictable than football fans like to believe, when they judge everything by just looking at the squads on paper.

Hemil

Supports
Chelsea
Do you think Jose has failed this year because the EPL has been rubbish and he lost to 10-man PSG? I mean even if you think his squad isn't the best ever, going out to 10-man PSG was a little shit, wasn't it? Failed season?

Sir Alex never had a squad among the best 3 in europe? Jose didn't have it at Chelsea? Lolwut
Sir Alex probably had it in 07-08 and he won a lot with it. Chelsea, Madrid and Barca squads were still very good then too and there was no much difference between those 4. Even the Italian teams weren't too behind in those years. Now, it's clear-cut there are 3 and then everyone else is below.

Any team winning the title in PL at the moment with such intense competition is not a failure. United City and Arsenal have squads with higher salaries than Chelsea. That means hey must be having better players ( or atleast 1 of them should).

amolbhatia50k

Sir Alex probably had it in 07-08 and he won a lot with it. Chelsea, Madrid and Barca squads were still very good then too and there was no much difference between those 4. Even the Italian teams weren't too behind in those years. Now, it's clear-cut there are 3 and then everyone else is below.

Any team winning the title in PL at the moment with such intense competition is not a failure. United City and Arsenal have squads with higher salaries than Chelsea. That means hey must be having better players ( or atleast 1 of them should).
What intense competition? Did you see us, arsenal and city this season?

Domestic double and cl final is the bare minimum. It's sad that you can't see how silly that is. There should be limits to bias.