Pep's Barcelona vs Zidane's Real Madrid

Greatest club side ever?

• Total voters

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I still say that Barcelona team was the greatest club side I've seen, despite this Madrid side's success.

What say ye?

kidbob

I still say that Barcelona team was the greatest club side I've seen, despite this Madrid side's success.

What say ye?
Yeah Barca were better overall. Liverpool would have looked like idiots chasing that team around the pitch tonight.

Skills

Snitch
At their best it's Barcelona. But it has to be said this madrid side have just something else about them. Their route to the final has been brutal but somehow they made it, and then finished the job off.

el3mel

Achievements wise they're very comparable but Barca played better and more dominant football.

ti vu

Achievements wise they're very comparable but Barca played better and more dominant football.
Achievement this Madrid team trumped that Barcelona team. 3 consecutive wiiu is something else.

In 5 years they won the same amount of CLs Messi (Ronaldinho was the main man for the first). Basically they undid Barcelona CL when they have Messi. It may take quite a while even forever for Barcelona to have another Messi.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Our 2008-2011 sides would have been more successful if this Madrid side were our main opposition. Still not sure how good they are.

Alexit

Three UCL titles on the trot and the route they had to take this year? Zidane's Madrid all day every day.

Treble

Barca. Unique style and won more trophies overall with 3 consecutive La Liga titles and a treble. However, 3 consecutive CL titltes is unique too.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Which Barca side? What about the one that won the treble in 2015? Winning CL AND domestic trophies in same season obviously trumps Madrid.

el3mel

Achievement this Madrid team trumped that Barcelona team. 3 consecutive wiiu is something else.
Can't disagree. They also won a league title, a cup and several other minor trophies. They're both up there as some of the best in history, but football wise I think Barca played better on the eye.

Culero

Pep's Barcelona hands down. The Barca team of recent years have a better head to head record against this Madrid side so imagine their peak? As great as an achievement this CL run is I think it clouds people's judgement on how great this Real team is, their domestic record suggests their dominance can't live with Pep's team.

Madrid just beat a very average Liverpool team deprived of their best player, and needed two absolute gifts from Karius to do it. They've been fortunate quality has been down the last few seasons and tonight topped it.

They're nowhere near that Barcelona team.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Considering a weaker Barca team can beat this Madrid team on a regular basis, the conclusion is easy
Yep another good point. Bizarre considering how dominant they are in europe they don't really care about winning La Liga much. Even when they won it last year they got fortunate Barca blew up in Malaga to let them in.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Bah, was expecting a load of people to wrongly insist this Real side are better. Ye're letting me down.

Eddy_JukeZ

Barcelona are the better team.

Real Madrid though do have this innate ability to win without playing that great. They definitely have that over Barca.

But Barcelona had Messi at his peak IMO, and then Xavi-Iniesta at their peak as well. And they simply dominated opponents more.

In Rainbows

This Madrid team can't even win their league, yet they manage to win 4 finals in 5 years? Bizarre.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Its astonishing really that Madrid got anywhere near winning the CL this year. They really haven't been that good.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Pep's Barcelona is probably the best team I have ever seen in my life but at the same time it's really hard to disregard and overlook what RM are doing at the moment. It's crazy.

Aboutreika18

I don't think this Real side who have a knack of excelling in knockout competitions is not on the same level of that Barca side that was setting points records and dominating matches on a weekly basis.

There's always an element of luck to winning knockout tournaments that isn't involved in winning consecutive league titles.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Pep's Barcelona won 3 leagues and 2 CLs in 4 years. Zidane's Madrid won 3 CLs and 1 league title in 3 years but in the first year he came in in the middle of the season when the league was pretty much over already.

Barcelona looked more dominant but Madrid achieved more and that's what actually matters.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Barca for me. Technically on a different level & the greatest side I have seen play. Would dominate teams for fun, this Real side as good as it is, has had a bit of luck this year.

Motorman

Barca for me. This Madrid team would hardly see the ball.

That Barca team was special

Aboutreika18

Barcelona looked more dominant but Madrid achieved more and that's what actually matters.
Reducing it to purely trophies is silly though. Were Barca 2008/09 a better team than Barca 2010/11, just because one won the Spanish Cup?

Similarly, very few people on here would say the 1998/99 Utd treble winning side were a better side than the League+CL winning side of 2007/08.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
That Barca side were a better team on paper but the achievement of this Real team in Europe over the last three seasons can’t be understated.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This Madrid side are talented individuals pushing through with a dressing room brimmed with leaders and winners who get results. Barcelona were a unit who’d win games by stamping their football into a side.
——————
Has there been a tougher run-in to a CL final than what Madrid just went through this season?

PSG -> Juventus -> Bayern -> Liverpool

They’re absolute freaks in the CL.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Real Madrid under Zidane by some distance.

They turn up when it matters, unlike Messi & his cronnies who manages to lose to Inter despite the Busquet Oscar

Cloud7

That Barcelona side is the most dominant team I’ve ever seen in my life. Would have them any day over this Madrid team.

marktan

I think Pep's team is a tad overrated. The madrid team they faced in those 3 years is nowhere near the quality of even the Barca team of the past 3-4 years. That Madrid team got knocked out by Lyon in 09/10 in the R16 and played Granero, Albiol, Arbeloa and Diarra.

The year after was the first year they faced Mourinho's Madrid side, which isn't as good as the one of the last 3-4 years, and after that Pep left.

A match off with that Barca team and the Madrid team over the last 3-4 years would be a lot closer than people think. Both great teams with very few weaknesses. Not a single player in that Madrid side isn't world class, and they have a stacked bench to switch things up too.

Also it'll forever irk me that our starting team in both the 08/09 and even more so in the 11/12 final was so much weaker than the team that beat Chelsea in the 07/08 final and the team that beat Barca in the semis. Wish we could have kept consistency in our starting 11 the way Madrid have.

Aboutreika18

This Madrid side are talented individuals pushing through with a dressing room brimmed with leaders and winners who get results. Barcelona were a unit who’d win games by stamping their football into a side.
——————
Has there been a tougher run-in to a CL final than what Madrid just went through this season?

PSG -> Juventus -> Bayern -> Liverpool

They’re absolute freaks in the CL.
Probably our treble winning side. Bayern and Barca in the same group. Inter -> Juve -> Bayern in the final.

Treble

Pep's Barcelona won 3 leagues and 2 CLs in 4 years. Zidane's Madrid won 3 CLs and 1 league title in 3 years but in the first year he came in in the middle of the season when the league was pretty much over already.

Pep's Barca 14 trophies, Madrid under Zidane - 9 trophies.

But it's nonsensical to disregard style. Barca 09/11 would dominate this Madrid team for fun.

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
Luis Enrique broke Pep' records, and basically every coach that taken over Barcelona has won at least 1-2 titles (except Tata martino). It says more about the players and generation of Barca than Pep.

What Pep has done: ruined Bayern's golden generation, after 6 goals let in vs real, several goals let in vs Barcelona, lost vs Atletico, 8 goals let in vs Monaco, broke the market last summer with city, yet lost both times vs Liverpool, lectured people about how to be fair play and treat the refs, has not reached a better success than someone like Pellegrini despite better squad, outpspended everyone in Europe, etc. Yeah, sure, "what a manager". The guy became somebody thanks to Puyol, Dani Alves, Iniesta, Xavi, and Messi. He has been protected by media ever since, from being called the fraud that he is.

Zidane on the other hand. Well, real madrid don't even have to play well, and still reign Europe.

But the Barcelona side that Pep had the privilege to coach? The 2009 and 2011 squad are better than this Madrid side, because those barca squads are better and because barca would be ready to do anything to win, i.e. get dirty and put the referee pressuring and systematically diving into play.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

But it's nonsensical to disregard style. Barca 09/11 would dominate this Madrid team for fun.
They should have dominated Inter instead. Barcelona were better and had better players all over the pitch but Madrid accomplished more.

Especially as Pep had 4 seasons, Zidane had 2 and a half.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Barcelona were the most dominant side I've ever seen simply because they made one of our great sides look ordinary, they did lose to Inter at their peak though and that too a 10 men Inter.

Zidane's Madrid is better, they may not be as dominant as Barcelona in a football match but they win more matches and trophies. Their route to final was PSG, Juventus and Bayern, absolutely brutal and yet the won the thing quite comfortably. Back to back CLs were always thought as something which would never be achieved in modern era with host of great teams around and this Madrid side has done it thrice in a row.

Luis Enrique broke Pep' records, and basically every coach that taken over Barcelona has won at least 1-2 titles (except Tata martino). It says more about the players and generation of Barca than Pep.

What Pep has done: ruined Bayern's golden generation, after 6 goals let in vs real, several goals let in vs Barcelona, lost vs Atletico, 8 goals let in vs Monaco, broke the market last summer with city, yet lost both times vs Liverpool, lectured people about how to be fair play and treat the refs, has not reached a better success than someone like Pellegrini despite better squad, outpspended everyone in Europe, etc. Yeah, sure, "what a manager". The guy became somebody thanks to Puyol, Dani Alves, Iniesta, Xavi, and Messi. He has been protected by media ever since, from being called the fraud that he is.

Zidane on the other hand. Well, real madrid don't even have to play well, and still reign Europe.

But the Barcelona side that Pep had the privilege to coach? The 2009 and 2011 squad are better than this Madrid side, because those barca squads are better and because barca would be ready to do anything to win, i.e. get dirty and put the referee pressuring and systematically diving into play.
I suspect you're not a big fan of Pep, you should post more :lol:

Zidane has only been there for 2 and half seasons compared to 4 season Pep spent there. Also, the Madrid team in 09/10 was not at the level of current Madrid side. It's absolutely stacked with quality in every position. It's nonsensical to suggest this Madrid team would get dominated by that Barca side.

BTW, Luis Enrique broke Pep's record and won the treble himself while playing more dynamic football.