Pep's spending is insane (£941m and counting at City)

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Manchester United will be looking for a new manager in May.
That’s not the type of challenge Pep likes; winning Seria A with Juve is much more his type of job :lol:

Seriously though, what a fecking cock he is letting Liverpool win this title :mad:

haram

If he does not win the league he is a failure, unless he can pick up the CL.

Josep Dowling

Isn't Foden supposed to be a Sancho level prospect?...I've not really seen anything of him other than a few minutes here and there but after the World Cup a number of journalists were raving about him, if he's as good as he's supposed to be why the need for a new midfielder, surely the only way this kid is going to progress is actually playing him.
This another point that really frustrates me about Pep. He’s meant to be world class with youth yet let Sancho go which was clearly ridiculous. They spent £70m on Mahrez when Sancho is doing a better job at Dortmund.

The amount of pundits I hear say Foden should stay at City for a footballing lesson by Pep. Well not if he still only plays minutes each game over the next couple of years. He needs first team football to improve. I fear he will be one of those that never achieves his level because of this. Do we even know what position he should be playing? He just seems to slot anywhere they can put him, that can’t be good for his progression either. Problem is no doubt earning £50k a week already and nobody can match his wages.

RoyH1

No Messi, no plan B when the system stops functioning or the opposition cancels it out.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Two bad games from City and two United wins against bottom clubs and out comes the brigade. :lol:

SER19

Two bad games from City and two United wins against bottom clubs and out comes the brigade. :lol:
But this thread has been active throughout his city reign?

Considering many city fans feel they still need a full back or possibly two and midfielder and aguero replacement- versus the sheer amount of what hes spent- its fair for people to question it.

SER19

If he does not win the league he is a failure, unless he can pick up the CL.
If his return after 3 seasons were just to be a premier league and 2 league cups that would be poor considering what hes spent and seeing that the words dynasty and genius seem to be used in every sentence with his name 5 months ago

el3mel

They keep losing academy players one after another under Pep while waiting to spend crazy on their weak points but no one in the media calls out Pep's way of treating youth there or that he proved he's a cheque book manager.

padr81

Supports
Man City

They keep losing academy players one after another under Pep while waiting to spend crazy on their weak points but no one in the media calls out Pep's way of treating youth there or that he proved he's a cheque book manager.
The Diaz one has been coming for ages, he wants to be first choice and play ahead of the Silva's and Kdb.

Where exactly should Pep play him?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
The Diaz one has been coming for ages, he wants to be first choice and play ahead of the Silva's and Kdb.

Where exactly should Pep play him?
Much as Silva's obviously class, suppose he is almost 33 - could be an argument he's not got too long left in him and that a talented youngster should perhaps get a few more chances if he's up to it. But then not much need for City to take that risk when they've got so much money.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Much as Silva's obviously class, suppose he is almost 33 - could be an argument he's not got too long left in him and that a talented youngster should perhaps get a few more chances if he's up to it. But then not much need for City to take that risk when they've got so much money.
Yup but he's behind Bernardo and Foden in the pecking order. When he does get a chance it's usually off the wing.

Can't say I blame the lad if/when he goes. Like Sancho he's not good enough to start at City but way too good for reserve football. Plus his way to the first team is a tough road.

don't see Madrid being easier for him, was I the lad I'd be eyeing up Bundesliga or Ligue 1

Jimmy_Bond

Yet the hypocritical "Human Rights Endorser" who works for the self-elected Monarchy of a country with a horrific human rights record still gets touchy whenever you mention money.

Really horrible character, can't wait until he's gone from our league, irrespective of his success and being the only thing stopping Liverpool winning a title.

manc exile

Supports
City
Yet the hypocritical "Human Rights Endorser" who works for the self-elected Monarchy of a country with a horrific human rights record still gets touchy whenever you mention money.

Really horrible character, can't wait until he's gone from our league, irrespective of his success and being the only thing stopping Liverpool winning a title.
so do you think we should boycot or take some other action regarding the fa or the fa cup? it is sponsored by emirates who are the state airline for dubai that have all the same human rights issues as abu dhabi

Stacks

I think that not winning a ULC title with City would taint him, like "big spender yet no UCL title guaranteed, at all".
As of March this year I read that Chelsea are the biggest spending team this decade (since 2009), followed by Barcelona, then City then PSG then United. Only 3 times Champions League winners have come from these sides. Pep has 2 CL trophies in 10 years of management which is far superior to most managers in history including SAF who won 2 in 27 years.

Very few managers in history have moved around clubs and won the Champions League. The legend that is Jose Moaninho is one of a select few. The whole Pep must win the CL thing is inane.

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Not to mention that they spent 100 mil this year under the radar. In some articles City's transfer window is described as "quiet".
fecking Pep got 100 mil to upgrade title winning squad. I can't see how we can challenge them in near future

Bestietom

Not to mention that they spent 100 mil this year under the radar. In some articles City's transfer window is described as "quiet".
fecking Pep got 100 mil to upgrade title winning squad. I can't see how we can challenge them in near future
keep upgrading. Best way to stay on top.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
As of March this year I read that Chelsea are the biggest spending team this decade (since 2009), followed by Barcelona, then City then PSG then United. Only 3 times Champions League winners have come from these sides. Pep has 2 CL trophies in 10 years of management which is far superior to most managers in history including SAF who won 2 in 27 years.

Very few managers in history have moved around clubs and won the Champions League. The legend that is Jose Moaninho is one of a select few. The who Pep must win the CL thing is inane.
It's such a strange comment. Pep Guardiola is already regarded as one of the greatest coaches in history and is without a doubt, the most influential coach that is currently active. Using the Champions League as the sole barometer for success is quite frankly ridiculous.

youmeletsfly

Pep's spending is insane but the same can be said about Madrid, Chelsea, Barca, PSG, etc.

All of those teams win/won shit, maybe this spending stuff ain't that bad, is it?

padr81

Supports
Man City

Very few managers in history have moved around clubs and won the Champions League. The legend that is Jose Moaninho is one of a select few. The who Pep must win the CL thing is inane.
There is no way we arent the biggest spenders in the last 10 years and by some distance. I agree with the rest of your post though

cyberman

Nobody has ever had the resources that Pep has had at his disposal though. I'd say the sides that Pep has been in charge with over the last 10 years alone has outmatched SAF entire. 27 years at United. Hand cuffed by foreigner rule, Glazer spending etc Sir Alex worked miracles.
He's being out thought in Europe by sides who arent outmatched by the sheer spending City provide. When the money and firepower is equalised his tactics against the elite are simply letting him down.
He's the manager version of PSG. His style has been negated against the elite and he's struggling to adapt.
Ill make a prediction now, when they fall out of the CL it will be a goal fest again. They'll be chasing a three goal deficit at some stage yet again with at least 8 goals scored over the two legs.
He fecks it time and time again away in Europe but they used to take sides back to the Camp Nou and blow sides away with Messi. Now he's at City and those away displays are killing him.
Multiple clubs are reaching consecutive finals in a row, 2 in three years etc. The randomness of elite clubs falling short in CL are diminishing, the best generally do reach the semis and final. Pep really has no excuse for going out so early.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
It's such a strange comment. Pep Guardiola is already regarded as one of the greatest coaches in history and is without a doubt, the most influential coach that is currently active. Using the Champions League as the sole barometer for success is quite frankly ridiculous.
I agree with this. The Champions League is a great competition (I would say that wouldn't I) but you can get to a final playing teams not much better than mid table Premier League sides and win/lose it a bit of luck going for or against you

cyberman

That would be Marcelo Bielsa
Pep fans always come out with this nonsense when its clear as day other top managers don't even mimic his style of play.
There's less and less midfield play in top level football anymore. It seems to be pressure the midfield and get the ball to the forwards as quick as you can.
Pep has very little influence over this simply because his style doesn't work in Europe while the top side perfect their game trying to conquer it.

ManchesterYoda

Net spend 2016-present day

16/17
City: £160.34 million
United £124.07 million

17/18
City: £203.54 million
United: £137.61 million

18/19
City: £22.04 million
United: £46.94 million

19/20
City: £88.2 million
United: £84.6 million

Total (2016-present day)
City: £474.12 million
United: £393.22 million

13/14
City: £94.23 million
United: £67.8 million

14/15
City: £64.96 million
United: £131.48 million

15/16
City: £126.77 million
United: £48.54 million

Total (2013-present day)
City: £760.08 million
United: £641.04 million

We've been rubbish since Ferguson retired.
Guardiola's had 2 back to back seasons around the 100 points mark.
Guardiola has spent £80 million more than us since he took over.
So if Guardiola's spending has been "insane", what the F has our spending been?
Moyes, Van Gaal, Mourinho and now Solskjaer. They are the 4 men responsible for the way we've been and the way we are right now.