Perspective

Bloxy

Why does it always rain on me?
I'm sure I'll get some stick, but the reaction from last night's game is slightly over the top. We played well but let's just consider some facts.

This was spurs 1st game this season against English opposition. They not as fit as we are now.
They played with a very inferior midfield.
Kranscar is not a central midfielder.
Livemore well need I say more.
We scored our last 2 goals only after they replaced their midfield with Huddlestone and Pavlyuchencko. Hardly going to stop us already fit midfield.

I think we're making too much of our performance last night. We rolled over a very weak Spurs team. People are now talking about not needing more midfielders and Rio and Vidic struggling to get back in the side.

Scrumpet

There are no words
What's wrong with beng excited by a good performance from a team full of talented young players?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
People enjoy a good victory. Yes, some will go overboard in their assessment, especially in the immediate aftermath, but that's inevitable and perfectly understandable really.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
What's wrong with beng excited by a good performance from a team full of talented young players?
Nothing wrong with being optimistic. Rather have that than the party pooper mentality on offer.

Either way, I don't really think we go overboard by that much. It's the England fans that need perspective when it comes to football teams.

misterredmist

T'was ever thus, United are big news, lots go overboard when we win with a w*nkfest

on the flip side, it's the end of the universe when we lose

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
People are pleased that we played very attractive, exciting, attacking (effective) football whilst fielding a side whose age averaged slightly higher than 23. All that against a good team in Spurs, with our young players all playing well, several being key to the win. It's understandable.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Whilst the Spurs team wasn't that strong, its worth pointing out that the same team outplayed City two weeks ago. Its understandable that people are getting excited.

Bloxy

I hope most of you take the same approach when people have whinge about a bad result.
Most people get shot down on the caf when they think were shit on the day, but wow reading through some of the posts last night made me think we just beat Barcelona in the CL final.
I expected the caf members not to be so fickle.

kundalini

slightly over the top
A phrase that is a decent description of the caf in general, and indeed, the vast majority of comment and analysis on professional football across the internet, all forms of media and in conversations around the world.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Of course it's a little OTT but despite a weak Spurs team the major positives for me (and not just from last nights game) are that Rooney has started the season on fire and in Jones and Smalling you can see two incredibly talented defenders that should form the spine of our side for the next 10 years.

I'd say that's worth getting excited about.

Cold_Boy

The thing why people are excited is because our side too was full of youngsters n new players. And considering the potential we have every reason to be excited.

Had it been a full strength United with veterans and big name players maybe then we really wouldn't be so excited.

bergen

Author of gayest thread 07/08
People are just excited about us having a team filled with youth and promise that's performing as soon as they get thrown into the deep end. Isn't that the reason we follow this club?

Bloxy

People are just excited about us having a team filled with youth and promise that's performing as soon as they get thrown into the deep end. Isn't that the reason we follow this club?
I'm happy for our kids as well don't get me wrong, but they looked better because they played a shit team. It's the same reason why we weren't really going crazy when we beat Barcelona in the us tour.

Bloxy

I don't recall this hype when we beat Barcelona in the us a few weeks ago. Why, because we knew they played an understrength team. The same should apply to last night.
Let's go ott when our kids play a decent team.

Siorac

The cockiness about the Arsenal game is definitely over the top, especially considering we were average to poor for 60 minutes against an understrength Spurs side at Old Trafford.

We're going in the right direction with these young players but there will be bumps on the road so let's not build them up too much just yet.

Shimo

When you consider that we could field the following against any team in the PL with the following who didn't start last night:

Lindengaard, Rafael, Rio, Vida, Fabio, Valencia, Carrick, Fletcher, Giggs, Berba, Chicha (had to leave out Park even).

There is a lot of reason to be pleased about last night because with the youngsters we have and the performances they've put in so far, we have a great looking squad. Not to mention the way they've been playing hopefully will light a fire on some of the more experienced players to step it up if they want to continue to get chances to start for us.

As for last night - well we have to play who is in front of us and while Spurs may not have had their best CM on the pitch, if you remember back to Villa game last season, they had problems in CM and started with some youngsters but, we weren't able to perform against them. Too many times we didn't perform like we should have been able to even though we won games last season - yesterday we played very well on top of the result.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Treble winner Teddy Sheringham buying the hype :p:

Manchester United hero Teddy Sheringham believes his former side has found the perfect man to fill the void left by Roy Keane and Paul Scholes in 22-year-old Tom Cleverley.

The 1999 Champions League winner watched United take apart another of his former sides, Tottenham, last night and highlighted the youngster as a ready-made replacement for the retired United legends.

Plaudits have poured out for newfound Old Trafford defenders Chris Smalling and Phil Jones, after Sir Alex Ferguson suffered a series of injuries to his defence, but ex-England striker Sheringham believes Cleverley is the man to lead United’s next generation.

“It’s at a time that without Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic they would not have wanted to be starting the season but the players that have come in have done so well. Smalling looks like he has been there for years and the boy Phil Jones looked fantastic last night,” Sheringham said.

“But the two that have been most impressive for me have been Cleverley and Welbeck. Cleverley in midfield looks like a very accomplished player, he plays a very experienced game in midfield, just passing it and moving it when he has to. I’m sure he’s had years of watching Roy Keane and Paul Scholes and the way they play and I think he will be a follow on from that.

“And Welbeck; I am very impressed with him, especially with his movement and his backheel for the goal last night was fantastic.”
Seriously were United without injuries last night or something? Why is it whenever we beat someone there's always an excuse? We stormed back against City in the Shield but that was cos they were unfit, we beat West Brom but we were lucky cos of the deflections, we steamrolled Spurs but that's only cos they didn't have Modric. Is it too much to suggest that actually United are simply better than the teams we've beaten?

Bloxy

The cockiness about the Arsenal game is definitely over the top, especially considering we were average to poor for 60 minutes against an understrength Spurs side at Old Trafford.

We're going in the right direction with these young players but there will be bumps on the road so let's not build them up too much just yet.
Some sense finally. We only looked good once they got tired. I can't be the only one who sees this.

bergen

Author of gayest thread 07/08
I'm happy for our kids as well don't get me wrong, but they looked better because they played a shit team. It's the same reason why we weren't really going crazy when we beat Barcelona in the us tour.
How is that the same thing? Did we play a shit team when we beat Barcelona in the US tour?

Tottenham won Hearts 5-0 a week before (with some pretty slick one touch football on show). They're a top 6 team and were competing in the champions league last season. Could see them pushing arsenal and liverpool for 4th all season... If they're a "shit team" we'll be playing shit teams week in and week out, with the exclusion of four games against City and Chelsea.

Guess we'll just mope around being negative all season then.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
How is that the same thing? Did we play a shit team when we beat Barcelona in the US tour?

Tottenham won Hearts 5-0 a week before (with some pretty slick one touch football on show). They're a top 6 team and were competing in the champions league last season. Could see them pushing arsenal and liverpool for 4th all season... If they're a "shit team" we'll be playing shit teams week in and week out, with the exclusion of four games against City and Chelsea.

Apparently if we beat teams its cos they've been handicapped in some way so I guess that's true. :rolleyes:

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I usually try not to get overly excited, but with this team and how well the youngsters have started, it really is hard not too.

Reminds me of 95/96

Bloxy

Not moping mate, just not wanking like most on here. I understand that people might see this as being negative, im just being cautious and realistic.
Spurs would have lost to most premiership teams last night by the way they played in the last 30 minutes... And Hearts... you having a larf now aren't you?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Noones even said we're going to run away with the league and win it by 20 points. People are just excited at the prospect of this team and some of it's younger players. The football we're playing at the moment is the most exciting in the last 5 years. Isn't that worth getting excited about? I'd be delighted if this is the kind of football we get this season on a regular basis. Fun times.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I hope most of you take the same approach when people have whinge about a bad result.
Most people get shot down on the caf when they think were shit on the day, but wow reading through some of the posts last night made me think we just beat Barcelona in the CL final.
I expected the caf members not to be so fickle.
Are you rather people are overly pessimistic than overly optimistic? What is it that you don't like about people getting over-excited? Seems strange that it would upset people to see renewed faith in the team and the young players coming through.

Shimo

It's fooball, it brings out emotions,people will go extreme negative or positive. Being rational and reserved in praise/criticism all the time is a bit boring.

I'll take these bursts of optimism after we've had couple of seasons where people way too focused on all the negative crap.

Bloxy

Not upset, neither am I a pessimist. I'm just not as excited as most posters on the caf. If we do it next week against arsenal and the week after, then yes Illl be wanking, but we were made to look good by an average team. I see things for what they are.