Peterson, Harris, etc....

nimic

something nice
Scout
Perish the thought of someone listening to the whole podcast, but this is how discourse works these days I guess. Cherry pick a clip out of context, tie some nice images to it, prove someone is a nazi sympathiser, have the ACLU cancel them.

Behold the age of enlightenment.

For the record, there's about 50 things said in the full length podcast that would get a lot of posters on here vastly more angry than that snippet.
So did he or did he not say that the Nazis didn't use their own women and children as human shields?

Lemoor

Perish the thought of someone listening to the whole podcast, but this is how discourse works these days I guess. Cherry pick a clip out of context, tie some nice images to it, prove someone is a nazi sympathiser, have the ACLU cancel them.

Behold the age of enlightenment.

For the record, there's about 50 things said in the full length podcast that would get a lot of posters on here vastly more angry than that snippet.
He doesn't have to be a nazi sympathiser for this quote to still be fecking dumb and completely unneccessary.

nimic

something nice
Scout
He doesn't have to be a nazi sympathiser for this quote to still be fecking dumb and completely unneccessary.
No he's got a point. I definitely represented the fall of civilization into a post-enlightenment world because I posted a tweet of a clip of man saying "Hitler didn't do thing" and then posting a picture of Hitler doing a thing. It's not hilariously overdramatic at all.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Firstly, I personally think Harris' obsession with jihadism is obviously not healthy, and don't share all of his beliefs. I can kind of understand his desire to turn things into simple, moralistic equations in which case it's hard to get worse than jihadism if you're into a successful society, but fine.

Secondly, it was reasonably tongue in cheek, and was more about highlighting how bad both are, not forgiving one and not the other.

Thirdly, those comments have already spun up a discussion on reddit where folks are trying to show 'human shields' equivalence and (I regret typing this in advance when shades of grey aren't allowed) I do think there's a pretty big difference between what ISIS did with women and children and what the Nazis did towards the end of the war in recruiting, training and yes deploying underage boys in service.

Fourthly, and I can't believe I have to type this: jihadism is really, really f*cked up. So is Naziism. Both are stains on humanity, and I personally don't have a big problem with saying we'd be better off if literally everyone who believes in either is hunted down and killed. But for some reason anyone can say anything they want about Nazis and face no repercussions on today's world, but there are a non-zero number of people that get really sensitive if you say means things about jihadists. Not Hamas, not mulsims, jihadists. The murderous dealth-cult. That's idiotic.

Anyway, none of that is the point. The point is this: if someone wants to argue that Jihadism has worse (or better) moral standards than other movements, that should be allowed to happen. You can disagree with it, you can argue against it but I hate this whole culture of glibbly tweeting a single comment or phrase. It's not discussion, it's 'gotcha' and it does nothing but make everyone involved look worse.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Firstly, I personally think Harris' obsession with jihadism is obviously not healthy, and don't share all of his beliefs. I can kind of understand his desire to turn things into simple, moralistic equations in which case it's hard to get worse than jihadism if you're into a successful society, but fine.

Secondly, it was reasonably tongue in cheek, and was more about highlighting how bad both are, not forgiving one and not the other.

Thirdly, those comments have already spun up a discussion on reddit where folks are trying to show 'human shields' equivalence and (I regret typing this in advance when shades of grey aren't allowed) I do think there's a pretty big difference between what ISIS did with women and children and what the Nazis did towards the end of the war in recruiting, training and yes deploying underage boys in service.

Fourthly, and I can't believe I have to type this: jihadism is really, really f*cked up. So is Naziism. Both are stains on humanity, and I personally don't have a big problem with saying we'd be better off if literally everyone who believes in either is hunted down and killed. But for some reason anyone can say anything they want about Nazis and face no repercussions on today's world, but there are a non-zero number of people that get really sensitive if you say means things about jihadists. Not Hamas, not mulsims, jihadists. The murderous dealth-cult. That's idiotic.

Anyway, none of that is the point. The point is this: if someone wants to argue that Jihadism has worse (or better) moral standards than other movements, that should be allowed to happen. You can disagree with it, you can argue against it but I hate this whole culture of glibbly tweeting a single comment or phrase. It's not discussion, it's 'gotcha' and it does nothing but make everyone involved look worse.
Within the scope of your own argument;

- Define Nazi
- Define Jihadist

Not being a prick. But that’s not a good faith argument, and kind of plays into why that weird little debate club cult sets their stall out in that manner.

Kaos

Its not really a gotcha moment if they've quoted something verbatim, especially something as absurd as what Harris has said. So he's rightly going to be called out for it. From what I can see nothing has been lost in context nor has he been misquoted.

Jihadism isn't a movement either.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Its not really a gotcha moment if they've quoted something verbatim, especially something as absurd as what Harris has said. So he's rightly going to be called out for it. From what I can see nothing has been lost in context nor has he been misquoted.

What makes jihadism not a movement? You might argue its a religious concept that creates a movement but im not sure if we are just nitpicking.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

What makes jihadism not a movement? You might argue its a religious concept that creates a movement but im not sure if we are just nitpicking.
This is a good summary of the development of jihadism as a “distinct and identifiable movement” within the much broader Islamist current - Jihadism on its own terms: Understanding a movement

Gehrman

This is a good summary of the development of jihadism as a “distinct and identifiable movement” within the much broader Islamist current - Jihadism on its own terms: Understanding a movement
But i mean you can go back to the life of Muhammad and the ones succeeding Muhammad and still consider Jihadism as a movement rather than referring to very recent modern history.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
But i mean you can go back to the life of Muhammad and the ones succeeding Muhammad and still consider Jihadism as a movement rather than referring to very recent modern history.
I don’t think so really, jihad is a doctrine comprising one element of the classical Islamic legal tradition, but I don’t think you could say a distinct movement emerged around it before the modern age.

Gehrman

I don’t think so really, jihad is a doctrine comprising one element of the classical Islamic legal tradition, but I don’t think you could say a distinct movement emerged around it before the modern age.
But isnt that just a distinct movement separated from a caliphate? Or am I splitting hairs here?

Lemoor

No he's got a point. I definitely represented the fall of civilization into a post-enlightenment world because I posted a tweet of a clip of man saying "Hitler didn't do thing" and then posting a picture of Hitler doing a thing. It's not hilariously overdramatic at all.
True. You should expect a visit from discourse police tomorrow morning. Remember to pack something warm.