Peterson, Harris, etc....

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Also redmeister is the first person using nazi in this thread, yet he goes on for a paragraph whining about people calling Ben Shapiro a nazi. I googled it and found one recent article from The Blaze, which says it all.
It just seems he had something to say, and felt the need to get it off his chest.

OverratedOpinion

It's indicative of this new wave of anti-pc where people feel oppressed because 40 years ago, minorities didn't have a voice and weren't represented, and now in 2017 we do and we are more visible, therefore our opinions are also visible.
Disingenuous or misinformed of their actual grievances.

redmeister

:lol: steven crowder
But he wasn't the one of the weapons though! You seemed to think it was funny when I compared the nutters at Charlottsville with those who protest Ben Shapiro.

By throwing terms like Nazi, racist and fascist around, it allows these people to dehumanize their targets and feel justified in using violence or intimidation to silence them. It's not on, it's vile and it needs to stop.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
But he wasn't the one of the weapons though! You seemed to think it was funny when I compared the nutters at Charlottsville with those who protest Ben Shapiro.

By throwing terms like Nazi, racist and fascist around, it allows these people to dehumanize their targets and feel justified in using violence or intimidation to silence them. It's not on, it's vile and it needs to stop.
it actually rules

villain

Hates Beyoncé

They.. are the ones...who...called themselves.. Nazi's in the first place. They wear it with pride. What others do in retaliation to them, doesn't justify the actions of Nazis.

What kind of madness is this.

OverratedOpinion

They.. are the ones...who...called themselves.. Nazi's in the first place. They wear it with pride. What others do in retaliation to them, doesn't justify the actions of Nazis.

He clearly isn't talking about right wingers in Charlottsville being called Nazi's. That is fairly clear,

redmeister

I think you are misunderstanding me. I'm talking about people calling Ben Shapiro a Nazi, not the the Nazi's at Charlottsville. I used the Charlottsville example to compare the behaviour of Nazi's there with those who protest Shapiro event.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I think you are misunderstanding me. I'm talking about people calling Ben Shapiro a Nazi, not the the Nazi's at Charlottsville. I used the Charlottsville example to compare the behaviour of Nazi's there with those who protest Shapiro event.
Is calling Shapiro a Nazi, a movement in some way?
In that video I saw few dozen protestors - how is this a leveller or even proportionate to the Nazi's in Charlottesville? As per your original post.

I can agree that calling everyone a Nazi isn't helpful - but this idea that it's comparable to actual racists is beyond stupid.

OverratedOpinion

Who's grievances the anti-pc? Elaborate, i'm interested in hearing this.
Firstly I'd say the way you phrase it is ridiculous, as if universities are full of 75 year old Southern racists all pining for the days minorities didn't have a voice.

There are a number of things, the rampant racism and sexism from people on the far left. The fact that the assumption of privilege means that groups taking efforts to combat things like male suicide rates or boys failure in education are roundly mocked sometimes derided. Religion being attacked on all sides, open and honest political discourse being roundly discouraged/ruined. A lot of baseless character smearing.

Too much to list honestly, I mean the fact that actual universities are teaching "anti whiteness" courses is insanity.

More from my personal perspective I think it has an incredibly detrimental effect on the left but I have already been through that.

redmeister

Is calling Shapiro a Nazi, a movement in some way?
In that video I saw few dozen protestors - how is this a leveller or even proportionate to the Nazi's in Charlottesville? As per your original post.

I can agree that calling everyone a Nazi isn't helpful - but this idea that it's comparable to actual racists is beyond stupid.
I don't know if I'd use the word "movement" as opposed to "tactic." There is definitely a tactic of falsely labeling dissenting voices or opposition voices in order to justify using violence and intimidation in order to silence people.

By calling someone a Nazi you are dehumanizing them to the extent that taking violence against them is seen as acceptable. You are effectively giving them a label that says they aren't worth as much as you, which really is similar to Nazi behavior.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Firstly I'd say the way you phrase it is ridiculous, as if universities are full of 75 year old Southern racists all pining for the days minorities didn't have a voice.

There are a number of things, the rampant racism and sexism from people on the far left. The fact that the assumption of privilege means that groups taking efforts to combat things like male suicide rates or boys failure in education are roundly mocked sometimes derided. Religion being attacked on all sides, open and honest political discourse being roundly discouraged/ruined. A lot of baseless character smearing.

Too much to list honestly, I mean the fact that actual universities are teaching "anti whiteness" courses" is insanity.

More from my personal perspective I think it has an incredibly detrimental effect on the left but I have already been through that.
I'm not talking strictly about universities, and I do believe that political correctness was borne out of minorities not having a voice or representation in the past.
Political correctness and the off shoots from it aren't new at all - the opinions of the various groups aren't new, we just have more access to hearing them because minorities are no longer viewed as less than white people. Well, not to the rise of the new Nazis of course.

Racism, sexism and all the ism's aren't confined strictly to 'the far left' i'm not even sure why political leanings is even relevant on that topic.

Privilege is a separate conversation, which 9/10 people assume has to do with money or economic synonyms to the word 'privilege' which isn't the case at all and is highly misunderstood and wrongfully reported.
Religion has been attacked for centuries, and I think we can all agree that Muslisms in recent history are at most threat of religious attacks.

Open and honest political discourse was thrown out when the GOP spent 8 years trying to limit everything Obama did, including the rise of the Tea Party, primarily because of the colour of his skin - pandora's box was opened then, and under Trump they seem to be doubling down this rhetoric including trying to ban all muslims calling illegal immigrants rapists.
Character smearing isn't new, and certainly isn't baseless considering in the digital age finding out a persons history is just a quick google search away.

How many universities are teaching "anti whiteness"? What's the curriculum based around, and do you have a source for this?

Why are these conversations always talked about as detrimental to the left, when the right have years of baseless dehumanisation and character smearing?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I don't know if I'd use the word "movement" as opposed to "tactic." There is definitely a tactic of falsely labeling dissenting voices or opposition voices in order to justify using violence and intimidation in order to silence people.

By calling someone a Nazi you are dehumanizing them to the extent that taking violence against them is seen as acceptable. You are effectively giving them a label that says they aren't worth as much as you, which really is similar to Nazi behavior.
Who is called a Nazi who isn't actually a Nazi or racist bigot, to the point where they are targeted with these tactics?
I hear this argument often, but I don't actually see a lot of people who are wrongfully called out?

redmeister

Who is called a Nazi who isn't actually a Nazi or racist bigot, to the point where they are targeted with these tactics?
I hear this argument often, but I don't actually see a lot of people who are wrongfully called out?
It happens reasonable frequently. Just go on line after any big name conservative speaks on a university campus.

The reason I brought it up in this thread is because it happens at Ben Shapiro events. The video I posted above was protesters getting ready for a Ben Shapiro event.

OverratedOpinion

I'm not talking strictly about universities, and I do believe that political correctness was borne out of minorities not having a voice or representation in the past.
Political correctness and the off shoots from it aren't new at all - the opinions of the various groups aren't new, we just have more access to hearing them because minorities are no longer viewed as less than white people. Well, not to the rise of the new Nazis of course.

Racism, sexism and all the ism's aren't confined strictly to 'the far left' i'm not even sure why political leanings is even relevant on that topic.

Privilege is a separate conversation, which 9/10 people assume has to do with money or economic synonyms to the word 'privilege' which isn't the case at all and is highly misunderstood and wrongfully reported.
Religion has been attacked for centuries, and I think we can all agree that Muslisms in recent history are at most threat of religious attacks.

Open and honest political discourse was thrown out when the GOP spent 8 years trying to limit everything Obama did, including the rise of the Tea Party, primarily because of the colour of his skin - pandora's box was opened then, and under Trump they seem to be doubling down this rhetoric including trying to ban all muslims calling illegal immigrants rapists.
Character smearing isn't new, and certainly isn't baseless considering in the digital age finding out a persons history is just a quick google search away.

How many universities are teaching "anti whiteness"? What's the curriculum based around, and do you have a source for this?

Why are these conversations always talked about as detrimental to the left, when the right have years of baseless dehumanisation and character smearing?
No there is lots of racism and sexism on the right also. Irrelevant obviously given the question. The fact that people view white men as naturally blessed and occasionally guilty for their ancestors actions means that it is seen as more acceptable coming from the far left.

Of course your financial situation throughout your upbringing can be a privilege. I'd say the most practically important one.

Religion has been under attack for years but the progressive nature of the last couple of decades has meant Christians are now a minority (whether that is a good thing or not) and I am sure you would say it is a little harder to deal with sustained attacks when you are in the minority. Muslims are victims of more unfair opinion than just about anyone, again irrelevant in this context.

43..How on earth am I meant to know that? :lol: The University of Wisconsin Madison is teaching it amongst others.

And because I don't particularly care if the right do things that are harmful to their party.

Silva

Have you ever wondered what it really means to be white? If you’re like most people, the answer is probably “no.” But here is your chance! In Frantz Fanon’s famous Black Skin, White Masks (1952), his chapter “Look, a Negro!” interrogated the meaning and experience of coming to know oneself as Black under the constant scrutiny of the white gaze. It is an experience concomitant with W.E.B. Du Bois’s observation that under systemic racism, even well-meaning whites are constantly asking, in one way or another, “what is it like to be a problem?” But, like Richard Wright’s quote above, philosopher George Yancy’s book, Look, a White! (2010), turns the question around, and rightly returns “the problem of whiteness” to white people. After all, since white supremacy was created by white people, is it not white folks who have the greatest responsibility to eradicate it? Our class begins here. We will come together with our socially ascribed identities of Black, white, mixed and other and, with the problem properly in its place we will ask ourselves and our allies, what are we going to do with it?

Critical Whiteness Studies aims to understand how whiteness is socially constructed and experienced in order to help dismantle white supremacy. Our class will break away from the standard US-centric frame, and consider how whiteness is constructed globally, with particular attention to paradigmatic cases like South Africa. Whereas disciplines such as Latino/a, African, and Asian American studies focus on race as experienced by non-whites, whiteness studies considers how race is experienced by white people. It explores how they consciously and unconsciously perpetuate institutional racism and how this not only devastates communities of color but also perpetuates the oppression of most white folks along the lines of class and gender. In this class, we will ask what an ethical white identity entails, what it means to be #woke, and consider the journal Race Traitor’s motto, “treason to whiteness is loyalty to humanity.”
https://african.wisc.edu/content/problem-whiteness
omg so anti white

villain

Hates Beyoncé
It happens reasonable frequently. Just go on line after any big name conservative speaks on a university campus.

The reason I brought it up in this thread is because it happens at Ben Shapiro events. The video I posted above was protesters getting ready for a Ben Shapiro event.
Big name conservatives in recent years have said plenty of racist things, so it's not like it's without basis.
Is there a particular one you have in mind who actually hasn't been involved with racism or bigotry?

No there is lots of racism and sexism on the right also. Irrelevant obviously given the question. The fact that people view white men as naturally blessed and occasionally guilty for their ancestors actions means that it is seen as more acceptable coming from the far left.

Of course your financial situation throughout your upbringing can be a privilege. I'd say the most practically important one.

Religion has been under attack for years but the progressive nature of the last couple of decades has meant Christians are now a minority (whether that is a good thing or not) and I am sure you would say it is a little harder to deal with sustained attacks when you are in the minority. Muslims are victims of more unfair opinion than just about anyone, again irrelevant in this context.

43..How on earth am I meant to know that? :lol: The University of Wisconsin Madison is teaching it amongst others.

And because I don't particularly care if the right do things that are harmful to their party.
When people talk of "white privilege" the financial situation has literally nothing to do with the phrase, which is why I said the overwhelming majority don't understand this phrase properly at all.
So yes "privilege" in a traditional view of course, your financial situation has a significant bearing, but on the topic of white privilege it has nothing to do with it.

I wasn't aware that Christianity was under attack to begin with, as far as I can see in the western world - Christianity is seen as the religious norm?

I went to the University of Wisconsin's website: https://african.wisc.edu/content/problem-whiteness
They're actually teaching "The problem of whiteness" not "anti-whiteness"

After all, since white supremacy was created by white people, is it not white folks who have the greatest responsibility to eradicate it? Our class begins here. We will come together with our socially ascribed identities of Black, white, mixed and other and, with the problem properly in its place we will ask ourselves and our allies, what are we going to do with it?

Critical Whiteness Studies aims to understand how whiteness is socially constructed and experienced in order to help dismantle white supremacy. Our class will break away from the standard US-centric frame, and consider how whiteness is constructed globally, with particular attention to paradigmatic cases like South Africa. Whereas disciplines such as Latino/a, African, and Asian American studies focus on race as experienced by non-whites, whiteness studies considers how race is experienced by white people. It explores how they consciously and unconsciously perpetuate institutional racism and how this not only devastates communities of color but also perpetuates the oppression of most white folks along the lines of class and gender. In this class, we will ask what an ethical white identity entails, what it means to be #woke, and consider the journal Race Traitor’s motto, “treason to whiteness is loyalty to humanity.”
tl;dr - they are breaking down the history of white supremacy. It's completely different to being anti-white.

It's actually very misguided to say that this is anti-whiteness. It's anti white supremacy, which everybody should support.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Sorry for not adressering the whole post & for going on and on about something that's probably easy to sum up in a few words or lines. Completely understand if people can't be bothered to read it. And I'm likely too tired to go into a big discussion, but I'll try if there is a invitation for it.

This part on my end though, has more to do with me politically being aligned with people on the far left. I just have a strong dislike for silencing differing views. Where they see it as sensible as they see themselves silencing or calling out something inherently wrong I see it as just a tool to silence people we should be listening to & debate so we can change minds instead of divide people.

A short example, that is not supposed to be rude (take it as me being mentally weak):
I find myself agreeing with Silva a lot on actual political stuff. But I can't stand reading his stuff when it comes to threads like these because I find him more interested in shutting down people and the discussion than to take the debate.
Then again, we have very, very few people on the caf that will discuss right-wing ideas from a right-wing perspective, so most often he has to deal with people who are leftist that are tired of seeing other leftist ruin (in our eyes) potential discussions that helps us understand right-wingers and debate them in the future.

Naturally we often fall into traps where we defend someones right to speak and be heard when that person is someone who is just awful.
People like Shapiro don't get us in awe over his amazing intellect, stances on issues or stuff like that.
But he tries to keep it civil from our perspective with not turning emotional and trying to stick to what he considers to be factual and inviting the opposition to a actual debate.
I think one of the good rebuttals (based on very little research on my end) on Shapiro is that he usually debates people who haven't really got a clue on the subjects he's comfortable with, and his ideas would be more easily picked apart by someone who isn't emotionally unstable or out of their depth in the topic.

As you said, the bar has been lowered considerably, and that is unfortunate, but people like Shapiro gets their highlights because the bar is lowered and they are above it where as others on both sides often go into emotional tantrums. I'd be more happy with people like Shapiro being just random people you'd hear at a pub talk bollocks in a civil way than him being a highlight guy from the right just for his ability to keep his cool & saying he'll listen to you if you can provide sources for your opinion.
Also, for whoever mentioned it, Obama is clearly a far, far superior debater. But it's a struggle to find people on the right that doesn't get shut down or silenced with ist/isms that are willing to show us why they believe what they believe.

People like myself who are still trying to find our feet on a ton of issues, need to hear from both sides to be comfortable on where we land on stuff.
I for example disagree massively with him on health-care, which is a emotional topic for me, supposedly being best made through open market to drive prices down instead of a taxed & state-supported/driven health-care system that takes care of those in need. But because I listen to what he says, I can tell people I discuss with around me that I don't believe the open market way is sufficient because it takes time & a leap of faith in the people that are in the business of earning money to try and do the right thing once they are in a position to do so, as opposed to my views on it meaning that it costs quite a bit for the community as a whole but that it gives a safety net for everyone that isn't judged on where they are on the social-ladder.

Before, I'd be able to tell them what I believe to be right, but wouldn't be able to or have felt the need to try and understand why they believe in the things they do, and I'd more easily fall for the belief that they aren't interested in helping the people lower down on the social ladder.

redmeister

Big name conservatives in recent years have said plenty of racist things, so it's not like it's without basis.
Is there a particular one you have in mind who actually hasn't been involved with racism or bigotry?

I just gave you an example of Ben Shapiro being called a Nazi. It's pretty ridiculous.

This girl got pepper sprayed in the face because they thought she was a fascist.

Here she is being interviewed, do you think she should be violently attacked for her views?

I find it hard to believe people can't see what is happening with regards to leftist tactics. It's shouldn't be tolerated.

OverratedOpinion

When people talk of "white privilege" the financial situation has literally nothing to do with the phrase, which is why I said the overwhelming majority don't understand this phrase properly at all.
So yes "privilege" in a traditional view of course, your financial situation has a significant bearing, but on the topic of white privilege it has nothing to do with it.

I wasn't aware that Christianity was under attack to begin with, as far as I can see in the western world - Christianity is seen as the religious norm?

I went to the University of Wisconsin's website: https://african.wisc.edu/content/problem-whiteness
They're actually teaching "The problem of whiteness" not "anti-whiteness"

tl;dr - they are breaking down the history of white supremacy. It's completely different to being anti-white.

It's actually very misguided to say that this is anti-whiteness. It's anti white supremacy, which everybody should support.
I talk in regards to what I see as the most important privilege. Is your home life stable? Can you obtain a good education? etc. "The traditional" meaning of the word as in the actual meaning of it, if the definition of the word deviates so far from what you are trying to represent then you are representing it incorrectly.

When I say under attack I mean the ideology. Easy to see with the rapidly dropping numbers of self identified Christians.

A. Research the courses a little more. B. If you think that is all they are then why are they not called "The problem with white supremacy?" C. It is enough that the name is found acceptable, Imagine the response to a course called "the problem with blackness". I am shocked you tried to defend it.

These are the things that lead to issues like Evergreen.

OverratedOpinion

I find it hard to believe people can't see what is happening with regards to leftist tactics.
It does make me think it has to be intentionally appearing oblivious rather than actually facing the issue. It is too prevalent to be this unaware.

Halftrack

A. Research the courses a little more. B. If you think that is all they are then why are they not called "The problem with white supremacy?" C. It is enough that the name is found acceptable, Imagine the response to a course called "the problem with blackness". I am shocked you tried to defend it.
If you're going to keep claiming it's an anti-whiteness course, I'm going to assume it's because you have taken it/know someone who has taken it, and thus know what is actually being discussed in class. If not, then all we have to go on is the description of it on the universities webpage, and there's nothing anti-white about it based on that.

You were the one who brought it up, the onus is on you to prove that it is what you say it is. If you're unwilling to, stop using it as an argument.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Before, I'd be able to tell them what I believe to be right, but wouldn't be able to or have felt the need to try and understand why they believe in the things they do, and I'd more easily fall for the belief that they aren't interested in helping the people lower down on the social ladder.
For what it's worth - I enjoy having the likes of Shapiro around who provide a differing opinion, an echo chamber is dangerous and only produces idle minds and a lack of free thought.
You have to hear what the other side think, in order to strengthen your position or expand your knowledge.

I just gave you an example of Ben Shapiro being called a Nazi. It's pretty ridiculous.

This girl got pepper sprayed in the face because they thought she was a fascist.

Here she is being interviewed, do you think she should be violently attacked for her views?

I find it hard to believe people can't see what is happening with regards to leftist tactics. It's shouldn't be tolerated.
You're just picking out random people (aside from Shapiro) who have been attacked by a small group of far-left extremists - how does this represent a tactic of The Left?
In any group you'll find individuals who act out and aren't representative of the entire group.

I talk in regards to what I see as the most important privilege. Is your home life stable? Can you obtain a good education? etc. "The traditional" meaning of the word as in the actual meaning of it, if the definition of the word deviates so far from what you are trying to represent then you are representing it incorrectly.

When I say under attack I mean the ideology. Easy to see with the rapidly dropping numbers of self identified Christians.

These are the things that lead to issues like Evergreen.
Yes that's the most important privilege to you. However, if you are a trans person, black person, disabled person - all of these things are that much harder to obtain because of your societal status - and that's where white privilege comes in.
You're trying to deny it doesn't exist based on your own perceptions, and ignoring how it affects the very groups who don't benefit from it.

Christianity is one of the oldest religions around, it's bound to decrease over time, especially when you've got an increase in scientific evidence, and decreasing population rates in the western civilisation.

Since I replied to you - I've done just that, again all I can find is conservative pages reacting to the name of the course and the idea that this is an attack on white people.
Funnily enough i've read almost every book that's listed in the readings on the university homepage, so I have a general idea of the road they are travelling down.

Secondly, the name isn't the problem. The lack of critical thinking is, ironically in a thread which advocates for political discourse and differing opinions.

Finally, "the problem with blackness" wouldn't work because black people have been historically seen as problem, lessor than white people, lessor than human beings for hundreds of years.

Frankly, I'm shocked you don't understand the distinction.

OverratedOpinion

If you're going to keep claiming it's an anti-whiteness course, I'm going to assume it's because you have taken it/know someone who has taken it, and thus know what is actually being discussed in class. If not, then all we have to go on is the description of it on the universities webpage, and there's nothing anti-white about it based on that.

You were the one who brought it up, the onus is on you to prove that it is what you say it is. If you're unwilling to, stop using it as an argument.
See point C. Research Evergreen.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
For what it's worth - I enjoy having the likes of Shapiro around who provide a differing opinion, an echo chamber is dangerous and only produces idle minds and a lack of free thought.
You have to hear what the other side think, in order to strengthen your position or expand your knowledge.

You're just picking out random people (aside from Shapiro) who have been attacked by a small group of far-left extremists - how does this represent a tactic of The Left?
In any group you'll find individuals who act out and aren't representative of the entire group.

Yes that's the most important privilege to you. However, if you are a trans person, black person, disabled person - all of these things are that much harder to obtain because of your societal status - and that's where white privilege comes in.
You're trying to deny it doesn't exist based on your own perceptions, and ignoring how it affects the very groups who don't benefit from it.

Christianity is one of the oldest religions around, it's bound to decrease over time, especially when you've got an increase in scientific evidence, and decreasing population rates in the western civilisation.

Since I replied to you - I've done just that, again all I can find is conservative pages reacting to the name of the course and the idea that this is an attack on white people.
Funnily enough i've read almost every book that's listed in the readings on the university homepage, so I have a general idea of the road they are travelling down.

Secondly, the name isn't the problem. The lack of critical thinking is, ironically in a thread which advocates for political discourse and differing opinions.

Finally, "the problem with blackness" wouldn't work because black people have been historically seen as problem, lessor than white people, lessor than human beings for hundreds of years.

Frankly, I'm shocked you don't understand the distinction.
It's worth a lot to me to know that a fair lot on the caf still want to give people of differing beliefs time to talk and debate. So yes. :)
I assume most of us disagree with him on most topics, myself absolutely included.
I just always worry about the potential of ending up in a echo-chamber.
I feel like my adjustment on who to bother with and who to not has come more down to their way of discussing rather than what they stand for.
With the odd people out I think are too extreme of course in their views, but I try my best to ignore instead of try to silence them If i don't feel like taking the debate.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I think we can all agree that Muslisms in recent history are at most threat of religious attacks.
Religion has been under attack for years but the progressive nature of the last couple of decades has meant Christians are now a minority (whether that is a good thing or not) and I am sure you would say it is a little harder to deal with sustained attacks when you are in the minority.
According to the FBI stats for 2016, Jews are still the biggest victims of religiously based hate crimes in America, both in absolute terms and, it looks to me, proportionally. Be interesting to see how Europe compares. Looking beyond the West, I think you'll find very different results.

(Edit): link - https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2016/topic-pages/victims

Last edited:

Halftrack

Yes that's the most important privilege to you. However, if you are a trans person, black person, disabled person - all of these things are that much harder to obtain because of your societal status - and that's where white privilege comes in. You're trying to deny it doesn't exist based on your own perceptions, and ignoring how it affects the very groups who don't benefit from it.
Part of the problem is that a lot of white dudes see anything that promotes people who are not white dudes as an attack on white dudes.
See point C. Research Evergreen.
I'm familiar with Evergreen and the shit that's been going on. Researching it to find out how it supports your point, however, is not our job. And how does it back up your point about universities teaching anti-whiteness, or that the specific course in question is anti-white? You made the specific accusation that UW-Madison's Problem Whitness course was anti-white. You have yet to provide anything other than your assertions to back up that claim, even when challenged. As I said; put up or shut up.