Peterson, Harris, etc....

OverratedOpinion

Yes that's the most important privilege to you. However, if you are a trans person, black person, disabled person - all of these things are that much harder to obtain because of your societal status - and that's where white privilege comes in.
You're trying to deny it doesn't exist based on your own perceptions, and ignoring how it affects the very groups who don't benefit from it.

Christianity is one of the oldest religions around, it's bound to decrease over time, especially when you've got an increase in scientific evidence, and decreasing population rates in the western civilisation.

Since I replied to you - I've done just that, again all I can find is conservative pages reacting to the name of the course and the idea that this is an attack on white people.
Funnily enough i've read almost every book that's listed in the readings on the university homepage, so I have a general idea of the road they are travelling down.

Secondly, the name isn't the problem. The lack of critical thinking is, ironically in a thread which advocates for political discourse and differing opinions.

Finally, "the problem with blackness" wouldn't work because black people have been historically seen as problem, lessor than white people, lessor than human beings for hundreds of years.

Frankly, I'm shocked you don't understand the distinction.
I am not ignoring anything if I was I would specifically say "The only one that matters" not "The most important". If you were a homeless white person then financial privilege would feel the most important for you. Obviously which is why I only speak for myself.

Doesn't account for the numbers, the big bang was discovered in the 1920's. You are essentially arguing the idea that atheism is a progressive view.

The courses were the last point of my post and pretty much a throwaway as the most insane thing you'll see people defending. I am getting bored of debating something so ridiculous. Part of the course being to "Consider" the idea that "treason to whiteness is loyalty to humanity.” I mean Jesus Christ.

Whatever though, all these people on the right are terrible racists with no real grievances and we as a political party have no issues whatsoever.

redmeister

You're just picking out random people (aside from Shapiro) who have been attacked by a small group of far-left extremists - how does this represent a tactic of The Left?
In any group you'll find individuals who act out and aren't representative of the entire group.

.[/QUOTE]

Because it's happening frequently and the far left are part of the left.

Let's not forget Robert Creamer did resign from the DNC after being filmed discussing tactics for baiting violence at rallies. He's not exactly fringe or far left. It's a tactic.

OverratedOpinion

Part of the problem is that a lot of white dudes see anything that promotes people who are not white dudes as an attack on white dudes.

I'm familiar with Evergreen and the shit that's been going on. Researching it to find out how it supports your point, however, is not our job. And how does it back up your point about universities teaching anti-whiteness, or that the specific course in question is anti-white? You made the specific accusation that UW-Madison's Problem Whitness course was anti-white. You have yet to provide anything other than your assertions to back up that claim, even when challenged. As I said; put up or shut up.
That would make total sense if I had any type of issue with say black history month. "The problem with". Not an attack, no Sir.

A bunch of crazed kids holding people hostage screaming about the issues with "whiteness" has nothing to do with the issues attached to a "Problem with whiteness course". Right.

OverratedOpinion

According to the FBI stats for 2016, Jews are still the biggest victims of religiously based hate crimes in America, both in absolute terms and, it looks to me, proportionally. Be interesting to see how Europe compares. Looking beyond the West, I think you'll find very different results.

(Edit): link - https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2016/topic-pages/victims
I think for the most part me and Vi1lain both meant attack in the ideological sense.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
According to the FBI stats for 2016, Jews are still the biggest victims of religiously based hate crimes in America, both in absolute terms and, it looks to me, proportionally. Be interesting to see how Europe compares. Looking beyond the West, I think you'll find very different results.
Makes sense - the Muslim population in America is about 2% I believe? Across the globe that potentially could change.

Though to be fair, I wasn't strictly talking about religious based hate-crimes, but speaking more so about the perception, representation and respect given in society.

I am not ignoring anything if I was I would specifically say "The only one that matters" not "The most important". If you were a homeless white person then financial privilege would feel the most important for you. Obviously which is why I only speak for myself.

Doesn't account for the numbers, the big bang was discovered in the 1920's. You are essentially arguing the idea that atheism is a progressive view.

The courses were the last point of my post and pretty much a throwaway as the most insane thing you'll see people defending. I am getting bored of debating something so ridiculous. Part of the course being to "Consider" the idea that "treason to whiteness is loyalty to humanity.” I mean Jesus Christ.

Whatever though, all these people on the right are terrible racists with no real grievances and we as a political party have no issues whatsoever.
It's always a homeless white person used as an example when we talk about white privilege. :lol:

Let me ask you a question.

Nothing about you or life, or living situation changes.
However, every decision you make in your life, every interaction you are involved in, any thing you do - you are treated like a black person.
Every store you enter, job interview etc, do you think your life would be different or you would be treated differently in any way?
Or perhaps would you be happy to live the same life you live, but you're treated like a transperson?

OverratedOpinion

It's always a homeless white person used as an example when we talk about white privilege. :lol:

Let me ask you a question.

Nothing about you or life, or living situation changes.
However, every decision you make in your life, every interaction you are involved in, any thing you do - you are treated like a black person.
Every store you enter, job interview etc, do you think your life would be different or you would be treated differently in any way?
Would you be happy to live the same life you live, but you're treated like a transperson?
It is a funny habit people have when they don't actually have a retort they just mock something for being a cliche.

How on earth am I supposed to know that? I imagine it would be different, much like it would be different if I was better or worse looking, shorter or taller, heavier or lighter.

Being a trans person would be impossibly hard.

I love the assumption that I am white because I have frustrations with the far left :lol:

villain

Hates Beyoncé
It is a funny habit people have when they don't actually have a retort they just mock something for being a cliche.

How on earth am I supposed to know that? I imagine it would be different, much like it would be different if I was better or worse looking, shorter or taller, heavier or lighter.

Being a trans person would be impossibly hard.

I love the assumption that I am white because I have frustrations with the far left :lol:
I didn't assume you were white. I did however know you weren't black or trans which is precisely why I used those examples.

So what you're saying is, being black in society is no different to being white in society?
Because the question I asked was that nothing about you or your life would change, however how you're treated and viewed would be as if you were a black person.

And you're suggesting that, it would be like being uglier, taller, fatter etc?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I actually think black people have little to no problems at all in current western society, provided they act 'white', and that's the problem I think.

Halftrack

That would make total sense if I had any type of issue with say black history month. "The problem with". Not an attack, no Sir.

A bunch of crazed kids holding people hostage screaming about the issues with "whiteness" has nothing to do with the issues attached to a "Problem with whiteness course". Right.
Again, I fail to see how the situation at Evergreen relates to the point about the UW-Madison course, or the general claim that universities teach anti-whiteness courses. And it seems your issue is with the name of the course, and you actually don't have a clue about its contents.

And stop being such a precious fecking baby. Do you always throw tantrums when people don't agree with you? If you don't like having you views challenged, don't debate.

OverratedOpinion

:lol: this is amazing. such a simple question and you guys are doing mental gymnastics
It isn't a simple question though. It makes no sense unless you make a load of assumptions.

I am not trying to disagree with you. Just give me an actual scenario? Are they in America and both live in the same area with let's say the same adopted parents?

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
It isn't a simple question though. It makes no sense unless you make a load of assumptions.

I am not trying to disagree with you. Just give me an actual scenario? Are they in America and both live in the same area with let's say the same adopted parents?
nah its okay youve already shown your true colors

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I actually think black people have little to no problems at all in current western society, provided they act 'white', and that's the problem I think.
Really?

Last week I went to Louis Vuitton with my mum to look at potential christmas presents - not only were we followed, but when we asked to look at a bag the lady rolled her eyes and asked if we could afford it, or if we are just hear to look.
My mum, actually had a Louis Vuitton bag on her shoulder at the time, not that it should matter.

But sure, yeah no problems at all.That's on a very superficial level.

We can discuss, healthcare, the justice system, community funding, overpolicing etc also.

hobbers

assuming all else is equal
Depends on their socioeconomic backgrounds and whether they both apply themselves in school, among other things.

Generally think skin pigment privilege is a very small component of a huge network of other privileges, many controllable and some not.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Depends on their socioeconomic backgrounds and whether they both apply themselves in school, among other things.

Generally think skin pigment privilege is a very small component of a huge network of other privileges, many controllable and some not.
do you understand what "all else is equal" means

Halftrack

Irony at it's finest.

You can disagree with me :)
I'm not sure I see the irony. Where have I started flinging shit like "Whatever though, all these people on the right are terrible racists with no real grievances and we as a political party have no issues whatsoever" in response to a reasonable and civil post that disagreed with me?

OverratedOpinion

See now this is where the right goes too far in the opposition due to defensiveness. Denying race being a major factor in the US especially is just as unfounded.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Really?

Last week I went to Louis Vuitton with my mum to look at potential christmas presents - not only were we followed, but when we asked to look at a bag the lady rolled her eyes and asked if we could afford it, or if we are just hear to look.
My mum, actually had a Louis Vuitton bag on her shoulder at the time, not that it should matter.

But sure, yeah no problems at all.That's on a very superficial level.

We can discuss, healthcare, the justice system, community funding, overpolicing etc also.
Yeah but I've had the same stuff happen to me, (not in Louis Vuitton, mind) I guess it's all anecdotal isn't it.

Maybe I should clarify my point. There's undoubtedly a problem with how black people are treated, but I think it tends to be those who act stereo-typically black. You know, hanging out in large groups, baggy trousers and speaking in ebonics etc. The problem as I see it is, you sort of have to act 'white' in order for that go away somewhat. Get an education, put on a suit, speak in a RP accent and be articulate with it, hold down a good job...basically you have to prove yourself. That's what I see as being the main thing against black people. You sort of have to earn it. Would you say I'm wrong?

OverratedOpinion

I'm not sure I see the irony. Where have I started flinging shit like "Whatever though, all these people on the right are terrible racists with no real grievances and we as a political party have no issues whatsoever" in response to a reasonable and civil post that disagreed with me?
That is because I feel it is illogical to defend that course.

Look I apologise if you felt I snapped at you if that is what bothered you. My position is this (so we can move past it as I doubt we will agree) I believe that teaching a course regarding the problem with "whiteness" and fostering extreme left views (Right would be even worse obviously) can lead to a huge group of kids going batshit crazy, taking over a school and screaming racist things at their hostages.

I believe that serves absolutely no purpose in moving towards my ideal world where as many people as possible are undivided in actually working together on each specific issue as it arises.

OverratedOpinion

Yeah but I've had the same stuff happen to me, (not in Louis Vuitton, mind) I guess it's all anecdotal isn't it.

Maybe I should clarify my point. There's undoubtedly a problem with how black people are treated, but I think it tends to be those who act stereo-typically black. You know, hanging out in large groups, baggy trousers and speaking in ebonics etc. The problem as I see it is, you sort of have to act 'white' in order for that go away somewhat. Get an education, put on a suit, speak in a RP accent and be articulate with it, hold down a good job...basically you have to prove yourself. That's what I see as being the main thing against black people. You sort of have to earn it. Would you say I'm wrong?
It goes past anecdotal instances like that. If you are born black you are over 10% more likely to live below the poverty line, radically more likely to be born in an area with inadequate public schooling, and over 10% more likely to be born into a single parent home.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

Firstly, the idea that those things are indicative of white people.
Secondly, the idea that ebonics and baggy trousers is a 'problem' and indicative of black people.
Thirdly, the idea that those things are mutually exclusive and the way a person acts, talks, or dresses gives society the right to treat them differently - is literal discrimination.

I can wear what I want, speak how I want and should still be given the same treatment as everybody else.

Also, you're discounting things like black people (in the uk) are 7x as likely to go to prison for a longer period of time, for the same crime as white people.
Black communities severely underfunded, which perpetuates a cyclical and systemic problem of poorer education and lack of a stable family life.
And many, many more.

How is this the *only* problem black people face?

Drainy

I think that non-white people experience generalisations that influence how they are perceived in the first encounter between strangers, or in the formative years that can seriously affect their career trajectory (either positively or negatively).

My perception of 'White Privilege' is that we are generally treated as individuals straight away by most people who make decisions that affect us. That said we still get judged by where we are from, the type of school we went to, our accents etc. Being Black will just make getting the step on the ladder more difficult and recovering from set backs really hard because of racial stereotypes, in my opinion.

Last edited: