g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Pewdiepie as an Influence for White Supremacy

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
I've been gaming online for over 20 years, and I can count on both hands the number of times I've heard someone drop an N bomb - and they all came after Pewdiepie came to prominence.
Yeah there’s absolutely no correlation between the two.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Yeah there’s absolutely no correlation between the two.
To be fair the gaming community always blow my mind with racist stupid things, like what Atlus did with Catherine and now Capcom apparently hired a white guy as a voice actor for a black character and he says the n word multiple times in the game, it's crazy.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Look, maybe you've been lucky in gaming, I don't know. I'd be interested in knowing what games you've played during that time?

But from personal experience I can honestly say it's been a problem for as long as I can remember going online. Mostly it's kids getting frustrated when playing games and looking to lash out, so they head for the worst, most offensive stuff they can come up with. They don't necessarily mean/think about what they're saying, but they want a way to get back at the person/people who are beating them. Back in the day on call of duty it was something I heard weekly, it wasn't a case of me gaming with dickheads (although yes, I have in the past) it was random strangers in the public lobby screaming the n word.

Again, mostly kids. I also received loads of messages telling me to get cancer, die of AIDS, the whole shabang. Edgelords didn't arrive with pewdiepie, has he capitalised on that market? Yeah, sure. He's regularly showed that he's anti-pc and most of the creators he associates himself with are of that persuasion as well, creators who push social boundaries of what is acceptable and are in to edgy/dark humour. Again, people don't like this when I say it, but pewdiepie is far from the 'edgiest' of the big creators, there are channels which regularly get 4m views + which use the n word about as liberally as it gets.

But anyway yeah, on certain games the use of the n word is definitely pretty commonplace. Particularly Russian or American teenagers seem to be the worst for it, shit even back when I used to play TLOU online (a pretty chilled shooter, which generally attracted an older audience) there were always racist dudes around. It's not an attempt to apologise for him, him saying it during an outburst was reprehensible and rightfully criticised, but it's a sad fact that it's a not uncommon word to hear during online gaming.

I think rightfully he got a ton of stick for what he did, a lot of creators criticised him (even ones close to him) and he was forced to apologise and lost a lot of revenue from sponsors. My personal view (and I understand that other people have different boundaries) is that a lot of the controversy surrounding him is overblown, but that particular incident was unjustifiable, there was no attempt at humour there, just idiocy. But he clearly stated to the world it was wrong and that he was stupid for doing it, and there's so far been no repeat of anything like it, so it's an incident that I think most people have been prepared to forgive.
Pretty much everything under the sun over the last 20 years from FPS to MMOs to RPGs and RTS and MOBAS including a lot of play with Russians. The fact that you say you hear it from kids doesn't surprise me so much. Kids who use the word use it because they think it's cool to say, they love being what they think is edgy, and what they think is a troll and so it's a word that comes to mind very quickly for them. They almost get off on using it thinking they're badass and so it's easy for them to jump to saying it. That's not the case for an almost middle aged white man who is 30 this year. If that's the first word that comes to your head, it's because it's one you use or think about regularly. To excuse it as common place just isn't true at all. Just because some kids yell it in a Call of Duty lobby doesn't in the slightest relate to a guy who is touching 30 who is supposed to be conscious of what he does for a living.

It's probably been a month since I last heard that word said and probably months before that and I game every day. For it to be common place you'd be seeing it in every game, in every second match and that just is nowhere near the case.

Bojan11

I’m with squishy on this surprisingly. I remember playing halo 2 and MW4 there used to be quite a lot of people saying the n word. Most of them sounded American.

So it has nothing to do with Pewdiepie.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Probably worth bumping this post again, since we’re right back to half the thread pretending the other half is saying something it’s not.

No one is saying watching PDP makes you go on shooting rampages FFS.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Another mass shooting by seemingly a White Nationalist. When do we call this an emergency?

cyberman

I don't think he's racist but these accidentally racist gestures sure are piling up.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
In the Souness thread we had posters arguing he wasn't racist because he didn't use any overtly racist language. Here we have someone who did use racist language but we have people arguing he isn't racist because he didn't mean it in a racist way.

It's amazing how far some people go to defend racists.