Pewdiepie as an Influence for White Supremacy

Silva

I didn't want to write it in the other thread because it's too off topic in a thread about a tragedy, but here it goes:
I only know of pewdiepie's existence because he or someone working on his behalf hacked gta online messaging systems some months ago to advertise his channel. Feck him. No way he has 89m human followers, I don't believe it for a second. Even if all the stupider kids from all western countries combined (say the bottom 30% I.Q wise) sub him he doesn't get to 89m. He gamed the system.
his channel is mostly watched by children who will frequently forget their youtube password and subscribe to him like 10 times, and other children who will grow out of watching video game videos but not unsub, he gets a few million views per video which is normal for the biggest channels

which makes all the weirder that so many adults are doing free pr work for him

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Thats what I meant by the thread title, I didn't accusse him of being a white nationalist per say, I was just questioning his motives and whether he should be held accountable for being irresponsible
His big controversies happened a while back though, and he already suffered the consequences of that. I don't know what more you think should be done about him, I'm pretty sure if he does anything remotely similar he would face removal from the site. He's been held accountable for being irresponsible in the past, but linking him directly to white supremacy now is a big stretch, his content for a long while has been very safe. He apologised for what he did and people moved on, he's only getting brought up again because of the shooting, but nobody actually thinks this is his fault, right?

Do people think he should be banned from youtube for being mentioned?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Thats what I meant by the thread title, I didn't accusse him of being a white nationalist per say, I was just questioning his motives and whether he should be held accountable for being irresponsible
Ya I don't think (at all) that P radicalised this shooter - but I am worried about his influence and connections mostly because his audience is so young.
And I think it's interesting that he used this particular meme (instead of the thousands of others that exist online) when he started.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Thoughts?
Yes, he's definitely an influence! pewdiepie has a long-standing habit of repping cherry-picked extremist content creators — and then retroactively invokes plausible deniability while making half-arsed oopsie “It's Just a Prank Bro” style apologies.

e.g.
Given his incredible following, even little moves on his part give those platforms a massive outreach — which makes him the ideal shill and a gateway for impressionable young people. While you could optimistically argue that he's just daft/insensitive and not be a formulator/advocate of their doctrines, he definitely plays a role in disseminating their ideologies by exposing his followers to known propagandists.
Do you think pewdiepie is genuinely a white supremacist or somebody attempting to influence the far right?
You really need to shut the feck up, same goes for your pals that keep pushing tedious arguments in predictable CE thread.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Subscribe to T-Series
I have a dream that one day this world will rise up, live out the true meaning of the creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal. And also I am not going to fight a youtube subscription war".

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
He is definitely an enabler of the mindset that permeates the far right. His content is a big contributor to anti-intellectualism and reinforces a non-critical thinking, non-well informed mindset that has old roots in the US and probably other cultures to the worst elements of the past.

It doesn't matter that he is not the worst provocateur, what he does with his 89m subscribers by actively using "edgy" memes like "Death to Jews" actively cultivates the lowest common denominator and legitimizes the worst thinking. He offers zero net value to society and is a great example of how profit motive can incentivize not innovation but rather reduction to the lowest common denominator in pursuit of personal profit no matter how detrimental that behavior can be for society.

Last edited:

Bojan11

Well why doesn’t he denounce them or distance himself from them squishy? You are his PR manager, so any reason why he hasn’t come out and said I’m nothing like these people and I don’t like what they stand for.

The worst thing is we got a fat cnut like Boogie painting out that pewbs is the victim here

Oh noes the pain he is feeling. Don’t worry he’d be back making vids in a few days kids.

Boogie is another sit on the fence cnut who was supporting that nazi cnut Jon tron.

Fridge chutney

Not really, considering he also spoke about a lot of other nonsensical shit.

His intention was to stir up controversy and gain infamy, so he mentioned a bunch of memes. Pewdiepie is the biggest content creator on youtube and has obviously been involved in controversies in the past, so it's no real shock he'd call him out.
So you don't even want to question the motives or reason for referencing Pewdepe? Really? You'd sooner pass off the comment as completely random?

I just don't buy it.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah he also mentioned fortnite and spyro the dragon before he shot people, are we going to start linking them to white supremacists?
Wait why are you putting up the same excuses that the ultra right were putting last night for his conservative influence? I don't want to quote what he said when he talked about those games, but for anyone who has read it, it's completely obvious that you're either (a) being completely dishonest knowing what he said when he talked about those games; or (b) just believed whatever defence the far right and their supporters were putting up since yesterday on social media. I'm not talking about this YouTuber; I'm asking why you used this particular line of defence!

Cloud7

Seriously? Stormfront calls him their boy?
I saw it on a post on reddit that was outlining his various links to these far right types. Squishy has said otherwise in this thread, and I don’t have any plans to read any far right news, so it’s a 50/50 on if it’s true or not to me :lol:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
How in the living feck do you know what stormfront calls him on the regular?
They have forums. A quick google search of 'stormfront' and 'pewdiepie' would take you there, they're hardly an underground secret organisation.

I got there originally through an article, or reddit, where someone posted a link to a thread about him. Again, it's all publicly available and not exactly difficult to find.

@Cloud7

Some far right types absolutely do think he's a good thing, but it does seem a majority dislike him because he consistently publically goes against their ideology, thus they condemn him as a coward/****/whatever.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
He is definitely an enabler of the mindset that permeates the far right. His content is a big contributor to anti-intellectualism and reinforces a non-critical thinking, non-well informed mindset that has old roots in the US and probably other cultures to the worst elements of the past
I agree with the gist of your post, but this probably can be said for more than half the shit that passes on TV.

RedTiger

Half mast
They have forums. A quick google search of 'stormfront' and 'pewdiepie' would take you there, they're hardly an underground secret organisation.

I got there originally through an article, or reddit, where someone posted a link to a thread about him. Again, it's all publicly available and not exactly difficult to find.

@Cloud7

Some far right types absolutely do think he's a good thing, but it does seem a majority dislike him because he consistently publically goes against their ideology, thus they condemn him as a coward/****/whatever.
No worries.

Bojan11

who is boogie

who are any of these people
Boogie is another youtuber. His whole stick was people feeling sorry for him because of his weight and him having angry meltdowns.

Jontron is another racist youtuber

Here’s some stuff from his wiki

Jafari discussed politics on a livestream hosted by Sargon of Akkadon January 27, 2017; on March 12 of the same year, Jafari posted a tweetdefending a quote from Iowa representative Steve King, who had tweeted in regards to the United States' policy on immigration: "We can't restore our civilization with somebody else's babies."[39][40] Jafari defended King's tweet and later appeared on Twitch streamer Destiny's channel to explain his views. During this appearance he said that, "nobody wants to become a minority in their own country", and stressed that he took issue with white people being labeled as racist for wanting to remain a majority. He said that he saw this reaction as hypocritical with how the majorities of other countries are regarded. Over the course of the one and a quarter hour appearance, he also commented that he had seen statistics that wealthy blacks commit more crimes than poor whites, as well as asking whether the colonisation of Africa by European countries was a good thing.[41] Shortly afterwards, many outlets criticized his statements and specifically questioned his claim about crimes committed by wealthy blacks.[42][43][44]

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
And, in the end, all these crazy killers are right wing.

I know left wing terrorism is a thing, but historically hasn't it all been almost always paramilitary stuff against specific targets?

Has there ever been a left wing lone lunatic killing random people?

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
Attributing this twat and his massacring of innocent people to meme internet culture is pathetically lazy. It's not dissimilar from those who claim violent video games are contributing to youth violence.

Pewdiepie is not an influential figure in this guys white supremacists vision of executing innocent people. This man gunned down people without flinching, and then drove off as if he'd just gone to the fecking shop to buy bread.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Attributing this twat and his massacring of innocent people to meme internet culture is pathetically lazy. It's not dissimilar from those who claim violent video games are contributing to youth violence.

Pewdiepie is not an influential figure in this guys white supremacists vision of executing innocent people. This man gunned down people without flinching, and then drove off as if he'd just gone to the fecking shop to buy bread.
Even if he's not necessarily at all responsible for this, and even if he's not someone who particularly believes in this philosophy, the concern is that he's an enabler, someone who - willfully or otherwise - is leading youngsters to discover more harmful content. Even the most brutal terrorists out there will typically start somewhere, and if an influential figure can start the process of their radicalisation through inane memes and the like then that's obviously worrying.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Yep.Today,more than most,has been really f*cking depressing browsing through social media.
While social media can be depressing as feck, by the same token there can be upsides too. I've seen plenty of uplifting stories about people who helped in the immediate aftermath of the incident, or people who have used social media to offer their support to people who were impacted, either directly or indirectly. And I've seen plenty of people point out some of the harmful news headlines and media tropes we've seen in the wake of the incident. Headlines that may not have been critiqued to the same extent had they existed only offline.

MuFc_1992

Yes Pewdiepie isn't responsible at the slightest but you can how sickos can see him as the symbol for white supremacy under threat from other races ( ie. his number 1 subscribed channel status being under threat from Indian channel). I'm not saying it's his fault in the slightest but It would help if he comes out and denounces white supremacists.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Yes Pewdiepie isn't responsible at the slightest but you can how sickos can see him as the symbol for white supremacy under threat from other races ( ie. his number 1 subscribed channel status being under threat from Indian channel). I'm not saying it's his fault in the slightest but It would help if he comes out and denounces white supremacists.
Its obviously his fault because he posts the "edgy" content, associates with worse elements and fully cultivates this image to profit.

Fergies Gum

@Cloud7

I will ask again. Post a link of the article that you read.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
To me, it seems to be a massive case of people not understanding meme, trolling or even just internet-culture.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Sorry no, that comparison is pathetically lazy. These people are definitely influenced by alt-right breeding grounds on the internet which, yes, includes certain aspects of meme culture. Obviously that doesn't mean that most people who participate are radicalized into terrorism, but some people are. By separating the people who do turn to terrorism from their participating in such environments you're falling straight into the old dichotomy of young white man terrorism = lone wolf, lone gunman, failing psychiatric system, etc.

Ignoring that aspect is like ignoring the role of online propaganda and communities in radicalizing people who leave Europe to join ISIS. It's nonsense.

Hell, this guy posed with the supposed "just 4chan trolling" alt-right hand gesture in court. It's obvious this part of online culture is pretty integral to his self-identity.

Last edited:

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Seriously? Stormfront calls him their boy?
From what I gather, it's the neo-Nazis at Daily Stormer that refer to him as /ourguy/...
"Is He /Our Guy/?" is a question asked by members of various 4chan boards to determine if someone represents the community's core beliefs and values. On the /pol/ (politics) board, it is used when questioning if someone secretly holds alt-right or "red-pilled" political beliefs.