Phil Foden - What Is His Potential?

promisedlanchiao

This is mental. I love scoring tap-ins as im a striker and I know that your movement has gotta be good to score them, and that’s exactly what foden did. It wasnt some groundbreaking world class screamer ffs. If Ronaldo scored that people would be saying “tapinnaldo” and all that bullcrap.

Classical Mechanic

This is mental. I love scoring tap-ins as im a striker and I know that your movement has gotta be good to score them, and that’s exactly what foden did. It wasnt some groundbreaking world class screamer ffs. If Ronaldo scored that people would be saying “tapinnaldo” and all that bullcrap.
I’ve literally seen people in here say Ronaldo didn’t play well after scoring a hat trick. Foden scored a hugely important goal today. I’m just curious as to when hugely important goals lost their value to a player’s performance.

mav_9me

How can you score the most important goal of your teams season and have a poor game?

Even aside from the goal, he wasn’t ‘poor’ in my opinion, a bit too quiet maybe but Sterling is the City player I’d describe as poor in that game
Because there is more to a CM performance than a goal. Of course he did very well to be in the box and good movement for the header. But his passing and touch were off. Imo him and Sterling were poor. Would have said the same even if Sterling scored.

Which is fine, he is 18 and it's not like the top players always play well (except Messi who does always play well)

He is clearly going to be a big part of city and England future.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Really impressive for City academy produces the like of Jadon Sancho, Brahim Diaz and Phil Foden lately. I am afraid more to come. He is good enough for Pep to let him start for city occasionally, which said a lot his quality already.

PaulRich

Scored an important goal yesterday but come on lads - hes no Jesse Lingard is he :-)

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Bloody fantastic he is. No doubts about that.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Not seen much of him so far, but he looks like a great combination of close control, playmaking ability and pace. English football seems to have a bright future with all these talented youngsters. Shame about Hudson-Odoi and Loftus-Cheek, they'd fit right in.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I thought he was brilliant, getting to see him the whole game playing against his age group or thereabout and he looked like a man against boys at time on a technical level. The only issue I have with him is that he is so frail still. He doesn't have that thick base and low center of gravity to ride off challenges, at least not yet. But his dribbling, close contrrol, long-range passing was really impressive to watch. I think with some time spent at the gym, he'll become a real problem to deal with. England's got a bright talent coming up, one of many.

JamiePollocksOG

Supports
Manchester City
I thought he was brilliant, getting to see him the whole game playing against his age group or thereabout and he looked like a man against boys at time on a technical level. The only issue I have with him is that he is so frail still. He doesn't have that thick base and low center of gravity to ride off challenges, at least not yet. But his dribbling, close contrrol, long-range passing was really impressive to watch. I think with some time spent at the gym, he'll become a real problem to deal with. England's got a bright talent coming up, one of many.
Are you being serious?

He's just turned 19 and playing against guys upto 2 years his senior. He was England's best player yet you've written about him like he was off Mike Bassetts fag packet.

Classical Mechanic

Are you being serious?

He's just turned 19 and playing against guys upto 2 years his senior. He was England's best player yet you've written about him like he was off Mike Bassetts fag packet.
I think there 1 x 17 year and 8 x 19 years olds at the competition so he's one of the youngest players there. He's actually playing against players up to 4 years his senior as there are plenty of 23 years old playing.

That said, I've heard the same criticism from City fans too that he's too small etc. I'm not sure I agree as he can go past players relatively easily and is pretty quick I just feel he needs to get used to the pace and physical level a bit more.

Ooge_

Supports
Werder
Reminds me of players like Isco, Modric and Iniesta. Always fun to watch.

manc exile

Supports
City
Phenomenal. Should be English first team.

He should not.

He needs to be nurtured and introduced slowly.
Another 12 months in Englands U21s, while slowly increasing his club game time would aid his development more.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
He should not.

He needs to be nurtured and introduced slowly.
Another 12 months in Englands U21s, while slowly increasing his club game time would aid his development more.
I agree, better playing 90 min games in u21 rather than 15 min cameo's for the national team. Until he's playing consistent 90 mins for City he shouldn't be anywhere near the full squad.

Andrew Wolf

Supports
Manchester City
I think there 1 x 17 year and 8 x 19 years olds at the competition so he's one of the youngest players there. He's actually playing against players up to 4 years his senior as there are plenty of 23 years old playing.

That said, I've heard the same criticism from City fans too that he's too small etc. I'm not sure I agree as he can go past players relatively easily and is pretty quick I just feel he needs to get used to the pace and physical level a bit more.
It's not that he's too small, moreso that be doesn't have the experience and nous of how to use his body to his advantage in those tight situations against people bigger than him. It'll come with age.

He's playing in the engine room of the team and it's unforgiving at times. If he was a winger, he'd be a constant but he really just needs time to gain that experience and he'll be fantastic

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Reminds me of players like Isco, Modric and Iniesta. Always fun to watch.
England senior team badly needs that type in midfielder, far more than yet another defensive midfielder as you already have D. Rice, Dier and then slightly more advanced box to box ones like Henderson and Delph.

ExecutionerWasp001

Technically excellent but very slow crab like movement & incredibly frail. He will need to add some bulk & gain more power & speed if he's going to make it at the top level. He's perfectly capable of playing for this City team against the cannon fodder. Much harder for him when playing against the better sides as shown in the Leicester game. If he keeps being put into those games & hooked early it could damage his confidence.

NoPace

England senior team badly needs that type in midfielder, far more than yet another defensive midfielder as you already have D. Rice, Dier and then slightly more advanced box to box ones like Henderson and Delph.
England's problem is always finding deeper midfielders who can pass, and when they have one like Carrick, they don't know what to do with them.

----------Kane---------
Sterling-Foden-Sancho

looks like a great front 4 (and with Rashford, Hudson-Odoi, Alli, Maddison, Loftus-Cheek all exciting prospects) but they'll badly need Winks + Rice to turn into a useful if unspectacular partnership. Choudhury looked promising before the sending off, maybe Lewis Cook if can come back from the injury, Longstaff or Skipp?

FirstTouch

England's problem is always finding deeper midfielders who can pass, and when they have one like Carrick, they don't know what to do with them.

----------Kane---------
Sterling-Foden-Sancho

looks like a great front 4 (and with Rashford, Hudson-Odoi, Alli, Maddison, Loftus-Cheek all exciting prospects) but they'll badly need Winks + Rice to turn into a useful if unspectacular partnership. Choudhury looked promising before the sending off, maybe Lewis Cook if can come back from the injury, Longstaff or Skipp?

Will be interesting to see how many games Garner gets next season.

He's that type of player, superb reader of the game, classy passer through the lines and a good tackler.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
And working with the perfect coach and the perfect system. It's infuriating really. We can't have nice things.