Phil Foden - What Is His Potential?

Lee565

Foden is so similar to early Scholes when he was playing behind cantona, though he doesn't have the same heading ability

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
England are going to have some great squads in the next few years. Hope we can find a daring and exciting manager to extract the best out of them. Foden's going to be a great player. We're oozing with attacking talent, might actually be fun to support England for a change.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
England are going to have some great squads in the next few years. Hope we can find a daring and exciting manager to extract the best out of them. Foden's going to be a great player. We're oozing with attacking talent, might actually be fun to support England for a change.
England do seem to have lots of attacking talent at the moment, it’s interesting to see how they’ll all fit together, a formation to make it work and who will be left out.

I’ve been shocked at how good Foden has looked lately to be honest after not paying much attention in the past.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
They’ve never started together.
They started together in England’s last match.

The narrative on both players has been inaccurate. Grealish has been one of England’s most used players in 2020-21 and Foden started the first game before getting suspended by the FA for his own stupidity. Both will play a massive part at the Euros if they go ahead.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
What a player. Guardiola once said he is best young talent he has ever worked with... well other than Messi, he is not wrong I guess.
To be fair the only other young top talents that Pep had who were first team players aside from Messi were Alaba, Pique and Busquets, and it depends how much you rate them 3 really.

Last edited:

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I cannot believe how naturally gifted this man is at football.

MongeySpangle

Supports
Manchester City
Even with the plethora of young talent in this England squad, it’s clear he’s going to be that player that the future teams are built around. He’s absolutely sensational.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Even with the plethora of young talent in this England squad, it’s clear he’s going to be that player that the future teams are built around. He’s absolutely sensational.
Other than Messi I have not really seen anyone as gifted with the ball as him at that age.

MongeySpangle

Supports
Manchester City
Other than Messi I have not really seen anyone as gifted with the ball as him at that age.
There’s never been an English player quite like him. He’s far more like a Spanish player in his style. So elegant, seems to glide on the ball and just pass players with ease. You can see why he gets the Iniesta comparisons. His decision making for a player so young is very very impressive.

TheReligion

Abusive
There’s never been an English player quite like him. He’s far more like a Spanish player in his style. So elegant, seems to glide on the ball and just pass players with ease. You can see why he gets the Iniesta comparisons. His decision making for a player so young is very very impressive.
What utter bollocks

Thiagoal

Where do we think his best position is for England? With Rashford, Sterling, Jadon Sancho among others very good in the wide areas id play him next to Rice but doubt Southgate would be that attack minded...

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
You’re right, not many with his talent at 20.
Not sure if you’re trolling. Foden is a talented player, but what you said is an extreme exaggeration. Maybe he has a unique ability for an English player at 20, but not across the board, that’s crazy talk

tayside red

Foden's good, so are Mbappe, Mount, Rashford & Greenwood time will tell if they reach the dizzy heights of LM & CR7

izec

You’re right, not many with his talent at 20.
Iniesta, Isco, Götze and i am sure plenty more. Ronaldinho must have been as good on the ball as anyone at that age. Foden is great and stands out in England, but i think you are forgetting the past a bit.

Last edited:

Bwuk

Foden is great but let’s not pretend he’s the next coming of Messi ffs.

Where do we think his best position is for England? With Rashford, Sterling, Jadon Sancho among others very good in the wide areas id play him next to Rice but doubt Southgate would be that attack minded...
Don’t think he starts. He’ll be in the squad and can play pretty much any position.

Assuming everyone’s fit, I’d be surprised if it’s not Henderson, Rice, Mount, Sterling, Kane and one of Rashford/Grealish as the starting front 6.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
That is just hyperbole.

My goodness, you must not have seen many players then :lol:
Yeah silly statement really. He is 20, so there are a lot that I could name at his age that were better on the ball such as;

R9, Neymar, Hazard, Giggs, Iniesta, Maradona, M'bappe, Robben, C.Ronaldo, Rooney, Owen, David Silva, Gascoigne, Bergkamp, Baggio, Romario, Figo, Overmars.

Them players were better on the ball at 20 from who I have seen, and that is before even mentioning all the other players who were better than Foden in general at 20. Haaland is better already and younger at present, not to mention all from the past.

Gascoigne perhaps?

Last edited:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I really like Foden but the gushing over him today is a little OTT especially when you have Grealish in the England squad that's at least as good as him if not better

I would however have both starting at the Euro's even if it means the conventional wide players like Sancho, Sterling and Rashford are on the bench

Righteous Steps

In what way you talking about because there have been plenty technically gifted Iberian esque English players, Waddle Hoddle, Mcmannaman, to name a few.

Listar

Foden is good but is he better than Mount? Would Mount do better in a well stacked city team?

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
It'd be good to play him and Grealish against sides that just want to sit in and defend. Throw Sancho on the right for even more creativity and I'd back us to open up any side.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Foden is good but is he better than Mount? Would Mount do better in a well stacked city team?
I doubt his pressing or energy is as good as Mounts but his output is definitely better. That being said they don’t play the same, it’s like comparing Lampard to Carrick.

Righteous Steps

I doubt his pressing or energy is as good as Mounts but his output is definitely better. That being said they don’t play the same, it’s like comparing Lampard to Carrick.
More like Lampard to Gerrard or Early Scholes, Foden and Mount both occupy the same positions.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Some hilariously over the top comments in this thread! He is talented but he has a long way to go before I'd be getting too excited.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Bonkers

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
No. As underrated as Mount is (the "Frank/Tuchel jokes are just silly), Foden is clearly better, so far, and it's not because he plays in a better team.

Some hilariously over the top comments in this thread! He is talented but he has a long way to go before I'd be getting too excited.
It's ok to let people get excited, even if you'd like to remain stoic

More like Lampard to Gerrard or Early Scholes, Foden and Mount both occupy the same positions.
They may occupy the same positions but their roles are certainly different, from the City/Chelsea games I've seen

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I doubt it. He is not good enough. Doesn't seem like he has that something extra to offer to place in the top 3. You're trolling, or you are too young to gauge players on their merit.
Laughable response. I bet you are the type who assumes because a Guardiola doesn't play a player he can't be all that. I bet you think Sane overrated. Plus Sancho was never good enough so Pep let him go....

Infact I'm convinced you are less than 2.5 decades old. Judging from your reasoning in your post.