Phil Foden - What Is His Potential?

Sylar

He looks difficult to get the ball off. That moment where he was surrounded by three players and still came away with ensuring City kept the ball was mad. Our players didnt do much wrong either.

Good delivery and he should be playing more. Just kinda wish it was away from city.

padr81

Supports
Man City
He was schooled by AWB last night. No great shock as AWB does this regularly to his man. He looked too scared to try to beat him & went for the easy backwards & sideways balls.
Weird considering just about every reporter and journalist gave Foden a higher match rating than the defender who schooled him. Foden played exactly as asked last night, for the first time in ages he also didn't look to overplay and rush the killer ball. AWB schooling him is kinda weird. Foden pinned AWB back for the entire game even the last half hour when City sat deep, outworked him too.

Heres the sports media's take on the schooling Foden got:
SkySports: Foden 7, AWB 6
MEN: Foden 8, AWB 5 " Might have asked Phil Foden to switch wings with his patsy, Raheem Sterling. Settled in the second-half, though City were not as adventurous. 5 "
The Independant: Foden 7, AWB 5 "Struggled to contain a spirited Foden"
Sportskeeda - AWB 5 " Aaron Wan-Bissaka had a hard time dealing with Phil Foden on the Manchester United right-flank. The Manchester City winger caused problems galore for the English right-back,
Daily Mail: Foden 7, AWB 6.5 "great duel with Foden"

It seems like he was watching the same game as everyone else in the world and you were watching a different one. Shaw did better with Sterling than AWB did with Foden. The only way Foden got schooled was through extremely red tinted glasses.

simplyared

Very impressed with his recent development. His left foot is something special. Reckon he stirs his tea with it! No problem with this guy's first touch. He sticks it to his boot!
A local lad from Stockport. The only negative: he plays for city!

ExecutionerWasp001

Weird considering just about every reporter and journalist gave Foden a higher match rating than the defender who schooled him.
Obviously Foden would get a higher match rating than AWB. AWB gifted you a goal which settled the tie. This will tend to bring your rating down. I don't remember AWB being seriously troubled at all by Foden at any point. Foden did score in the first half but was rightly ruled offside.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Obviously Foden would get a higher match rating than AWB. AWB gifted you a goal which settled the tie. This will tend to bring your rating down. I don't remember AWB being seriously troubled at all by Foden at any point. Foden did score in the first half but was rightly ruled offside.
You don't but most football journalists did and said AWB struggled with Phil. Just because he didn't dribble past him multiple times doesn't mean he got schooled. Foden played well and did everything tactically expected of him... Thats the opposite to being schooled. For what its worth I don't think he dominated AWB either. I would say given AWB couldn't nullify Foden as an attacking threat, Foden was far from schooled.

tomaldinho1

Citys Scholes

Glad hes English at least Ill be able to enjoy the odd performance from him in that context over the coming years
Strange comparison. I get Scholes was an attacker when he started out, which I assume is where this stems from, but they are very different players. You can see the influence Silva has had on him in how he moves/uses his body and carries the ball.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Strange comparison. I get Scholes was an attacker when he started out, which I assume is where this stems from, but they are very different players. You can see the influence Silva has had on him in how he moves/uses his body and carries the ball.
Think his biggest asset will be his passing and like Scholes you will see him running games from central midfield in a few years... with any luck pep goes back to barca and takes him with him before that happens

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Superb match winning goal from Foden yesterday. He's actually our top scorer this season, which is bad in a way, but good for him.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Have slagged him off in the past but getting harder to pretend he isn't good.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Oftentimes the hype around Foden hasn't matched his performances on the pitch, but my word what a game he's had today. Sensational.

Sara125

Amazing. He has everything- footballing intelligence, decision making, technical ability etc.

dbs235

I never think of him as a dangerous attacking player, more as a real technician who's good at dribbling and passing. Yet he seems to score constantly as well. Unreal player.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I thought so, hit very hard though.

Brilliant performance from him though, turning into quite the player though it sickens me to admit.
Seemed quite in the first half. Looks a very good player no doubt.

RashyForPM

I brought it up after his goal against Brighton, but yeah, he’s their new D. Silva for the next dozen years and will probably eclipse him. Annoying. Just hope Mason can match him. He certainly has the potential.

dbs235

unreal, he needs to start with Grealish for England. No idea what Southgate is doing with this squad.
He did start him against Iceland and we know what happened then. He started him in the home game against Iceland too, I think he'll have him as first choice.