Phil Foden - What Is His Potential?

Mercurial Beckham

Garcia wants to leave for Barcelona. He can't expect any games but still gets some much to the annoyance of many City fans.
You came on smugly about United and the way you bed in young players and I pointed out that the failure of such as Di Maria, Sanchez, Lukaku, Pogba, Depay and others has opened up spots for Rashford and Greenwood.
I’m a bit unhappy that not more young City graduates have nailed down regular first team places but when the likes of Sancho and Garcia prematurely run out on us it does change things somewhat.
And Sancho left why? Foden possibly wants to leave why? These players were/are at the facilities everyday. They see who gets minutes who gets certain treatment, etc. They can read the writing on the wall and see the minutes may not come as quick as they would like. The “reasons” young players like Greenwood and Rashford are getting minutes is irrelevant to them. They wanna play more, they see their peers getting weekly games and feel they should too. Not to mention having an eye on the Euro’s.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
He's not consistent enough and can't play Gundogan's role so it's tough. Sterling starts almost every game then you have Aguero/Jesus/Torres for ST role so Foden's fighting with Mahrez, Bernardo and Torres for LM/RM.
I think he should be given more games in KDBs position as well (for rotation of course). Also, Sterling hasn't justified automatic starts every game this season so maybe he can feel a tad bit aggrieved? Not enough to leave City, that's a near impossibility

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Pep must have been sweating on actually having to give Foden a game.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Garcia wants to leave as he's had zero opportunities despite you spending 100s of millions on a new defence every season.
I remember you once wrote this already so you can build up your narrative well, but it didn't become true since the last time you've posted this. He was a regular at the time he decided he won't renew his contract and wants to go back to Barcelona. Which is understandable of course given context, but it obviously has nothing to do with him wanting even more first team action.

Foden's situation is obviously different and more frustrating, although I'm not sure he really deserves that much of gametime than what he's actually getting, which is still a decent amount to be fair.

TheReligion

Abusive
I remember you once wrote this already so you can build up your narrative well, but it didn't become true since the last time you've posted this. He was a regular at the time he decided he won't renew his contract and wants to go back to Barcelona. Which is understandable of course given context, but it obviously has nothing to do with him wanting even more first team action.

Foden's situation is obviously different and more frustrating, although I'm not sure he really deserves that much of gametime than what he's actually getting, which is still a decent amount to be fair.
I'm not sure why you all get tetchy about this.

United are better at developing and giving opportunities to young players than City. Do you disagree with this or something?

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
I'm not sure why you all get tetchy about this.

United are better at developing and giving opportunities to young players than City. Do you disagree with this or something?
I'm not sure why I am bothering responding to you and promise I won't after this, but what does that have to do with the original point? I don't disagree for the record.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He should already be playing regularly for a good team if not City. He's too talented to be a bench option.

I get his thinking. If I were as talented as him a footy, signed to United, but not getting the game time said talent warrants, I'd still prefer to stay at United than go elsewhere. It's just frustrating from England's perspective because I think he could be a key player now but, understandably so, Southgate would rather play players who regularly play. Him and Grealish could be so good together.

Zen86

Does Pep actually like him as a player? I get the impression Pep is pressured into giving him minutes, probably because that club is a bit pathetic when it comes to local lads and youth.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Yeah true, United have always been known as a club who don’t give a chance to youngsters.
City played many homegrown youngsters before the money came then the agenda changed.
They needed rapid success so they cherry picked players from anywhere who they thought would improve the team.
Good kids still came through the academy but were mostly lost due to them either being held back or being impatient.
It’s easier for United to play kids as their place on the world stage Is assured. They don’t need to make new fans and sponsors like City do. They can endure down seasons and still prosper.
Football is cyclical though. After Pep has departed and the purse strings have been tightened again we will once again return to the youth to provide exciting players for the future.
As well as Foden such as Sancho, Trippier, Angelino, Brahim Diaz and Denayer
have come through and gone on to having good careers at big teams.

Ludens the Red

City played many homegrown youngsters before the money came then the agenda changed.
They needed rapid success so they cherry picked players from anywhere who they thought would improve the team.
Good kids still came through the academy but were mostly lost due to them either being held back or being impatient.
It’s easier for United to play kids as their place on the world stage Is assured. They don’t need to make new fans and sponsors like City do. They can endure down seasons and still prosper.
Football is cyclical though. After Pep has departed and the purse strings have been tightened again we will once again return to the youth to provide exciting players for the future.
That’s an odd take on it. I mean I get initially city going for the tried and tested approach but it’s been 10 years now since you had the takeover.
All that money put into the ‘la Masia of Manchester’ surely the goal was within 5-10 years a few players would make a major breakthrough.

You can’t keep using the we needed to be competitive excuse when you’ve already won four league titles and half a dozen cups. And have done so with more than a handful of pretty wank expensive signings.

The suggestion that city need more fans so don’t play youngsters is a very weird one. If football proves anything it’s that fans love it when academy talent come through and play in the first team. It’s almost like a badge of honour. It’s no surprise that the most popular teams in the world give youngsters a chance. Dortmund, Ajax, United, Arsenal, Barcelona. This is not a coincidence.

The reason city don’t play youngsters is simple. Pep doesn’t have the bravery to do it. It’s not in his managerial make up and it’s not important to the hierarchy at City. There’s nothing complicated or complex about it. The whole training academy was a vanity project.
Pep would rather continually play a £50 million dud than give a youngster a chance. It’s just how he is and will always be. Unless he goes to a club where it’s forced, you saw the same with Mourinho once he went to United.

I think the match that proves how little a chance the kids at city will ever get is the second leg of the league cup semi against Burton a few years back. You won the first leg 9-0 and were trotting out the likes of Aguero, De Bruyne and Mahrez in the second leg. It was beyond ridiculous. You also had a chance in two of the last three seasons to blood a few with you having wrapped up the league in 2018 early and being well of it last season. You were still in other competitions at the time too and yet it was the same squad of 15,16 trotting out every game.

As for Foden, how this guy has managed to not even get a look in in the league for the past few months is a total mystery. Your midfield of Rodri, Gundogan and De Bruyne has grown tiresome and predictable yet every game without fail they’re all trotted out as Foden waits till the 88th minute to get his chance.

Last edited:

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
That’s an odd take on it. I mean I get initially city going for the tried and tested approach but it’s been 10 years now since you had the takeover.
All that money put into the ‘la Masia of Manchester’ surely the goal was within 5-10 years a few players would make a major breakthrough.

You can’t keep using the we needed to be competitive excuse when you’ve already won four league titles and half a dozen cups. And have done so with more than a handful of pretty wank expensive signings.

The suggestion that city need more fans so don’t play youngsters is a very weird one. If football proves anything it’s that fans love it when academy talent come through and play in the first team. It’s almost like a badge of honour. It’s no surprise that the most popular teams in the world give youngsters a chance. Dortmund, Ajax, United, Arsenal, Barcelona. This is not a coincidence.

The reason city don’t play youngsters is simple. Pep doesn’t have the bravery to do it. It’s not in his managerial make up and it’s not important to the hierarchy at City. There’s nothing complicated or complex about it. The whole training academy was a vanity project.
Pep would rather continually play a £50 million dud than give a youngster a chance. It’s just how he is and will always be. Unless he goes to a club where it’s forced, you saw the same with Mourinho once he went to United.

I think the match that proves how little a chance the kids at city will ever get is the second leg of the league cup semi against Burton a few years back. You won the first leg 9-0 and were trotting out the likes of Aguero, De Bruyne and Mahrez in the second leg. It was beyond ridiculous. You also had a chance in two of the last three seasons to blood a few with you having wrapped up the league in 2018 early and being well of it last season. You were still in other competitions at the time too and yet it was the same squad of 15,16 trotting out every game.

As for Foden, how this guy has managed to not even get a look in in the league for the past few months is a total mystery. Your midfield of Rodri, Gundogan and De Bruyne has grown tiresome and predictable yet every game without fail they’re all trotted out as Foden waits till the 88th minute to get his chance.
My, you do love your sound byte logic, don’t you?
Dortmund and Ajax are not among the world’s most popular teams. Barcelona were so-so until they started winning big trophies.
Who’s the £50m dud? Mendy? He made a good start til he blew out his knee and has not been the same since so he rarely plays now.
The Academy is not a vanity project. It makes a profit and we’re in FAYC Final most years and are current holders of it.
I agree that more opportunities to blood players should have been taken in some circumstances but when tackled on the issue Pep stated that he owes it to the other teams in the competition to put out a strong team when relegation/EL qualification is at stake. I don’t agree with that but can see his point.
Foden has played plenty this season just not much in the PL. After this little tantrum he probably will be put on the naughty step for a little while longer.
Pep won’t be manipulated by him into changing his selection methods.
He’ll learn his lesson or he will be shipped out.

GlasgowCeltic

Fergie would stick him CM in a 442 and he’d thrive. Would love to see what Ole would do with him

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'm repeating myself and pretty much everyone else but he's too talented to not be playing week in week out.

If we go into the Euros with him, Grealish, Kane, Sterling and Rashford, we've got a chance against anyone. Not to forget the threat that TAA provides on the right, too.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I'm repeating myself and pretty much everyone else but he's too talented to not be playing week in week out.

If we go into the Euros with him, Grealish, Kane, Sterling and Rashford, we've got a chance against anyone. Not to forget the threat that TAA provides on the right, too.
No squad place for Eze....:(

Yeah said it in the match thread but Foden needs to be shown faith now and get a start for next 10 games especially considering all the issues Man. City have with selection. Only loses out if he gets injured....or throws a lockdown party.

Yagami

Good post resistant
No squad place for Eze....:(

Yeah said it in the match thread but Foden needs to be shown faith now and get a start for next 10 games especially considering all the issues Man. City have with selection. Only loses out if he gets injured....or throws a lockdown party.
I don't have an opinion on Eze myself yet. Haven't seen him at all, really. You'd start him?

mav_9me

Anytime I see Foden I feel he is special. I feel he is better than this Gundogan/Bernardo Silva. Not sure why he doesn't get more minutes. Genuine question.

mav_9me

You'd think so but then I found out Southgate plays Mount ahead of Foden and Grealish... Can't overcome that sort of management.

Yagami

Good post resistant
You'd think so but then I found out Southgate plays Mount ahead of Foden and Grealish... Can't overcome that sort of management.
That's a big problem I had with Southgate. Preferring Mount(&Barkley) over Grealish. I could sorta understand it with Foden as Southgate wants to play players who play regularly.

However, finally, at long last, he's seemingly moved Grealish ahead of them in the pecking order. I think all Foden needs to do is start consistently to move ahead of them, too. Grealish and Foden are just both on another level.

Hammondo

Not at all, his a better dribbler, has better close control, Fodens probably a better striker of the ball, not much in it,
Well dribbling isn't just about technique though, and foden really doesn't focus on dribbling. Fodens passing and weighting of the ball is fantastic.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Anytime I see Foden I feel he is special. I feel he is better than this Gundogan/Bernardo Silva. Not sure why he doesn't get more minutes. Genuine question.
He's too similar to de Bryune, I feel when City play more direct he can get into the squad, but when they play with more possession its a 50/50 and when they play defensive he barely makes it in. In this game they were direct which allowed them to coexist other ways putting Foden in midfield with KdB leaves the midfield gap open.

padr81

Supports
Man City
He needs to calm down like Pep said. He has these rushes of blood where he messes things up. He has everything to be a success just needs to be a little more patient. When himself and KDB are in the team we can give the ball away a little too much, though with KDB at false 9 like today its easier to manage.

Paddy B

Supports
Manchester City
I think that England have two brilliant talents in Grealish and Foden.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He needs to calm down like Pep said. He has these rushes of blood where he messes things up. He has everything to be a success just needs to be a little more patient. When himself and KDB are in the team we can give the ball away a little too much, though with KDB at false 9 like today its easier to manage.
I hear this a lot, however, his pass accuracy rate is a lot higher than I expected — he seems to average around 88% this season. Compared to the looser risk takers like De Bruyne (80%), Bruno (76%), Ziyech (78%) etc. He comes out very well.

Bit of a narrative being set against him, perhaps?

padr81

Supports
Man City
I hear this a lot, however, his pass accuracy rate is a lot higher than I expected — he seems to average around 88% this season. Compared to the looser risk takers like De Bruyne (80%), Bruno (76%), Ziyech (78%) etc. He comes out very well.

Bit of a narrative being set against him, perhaps?
Nah, he recycles the ball to the full back a lot compared to KDB as he plays on the wing, Mahrez has a high % too at 85% in the PL and City fans dislike him for making the wrong decision and losing the ball so much so Bluemoon just calls him ffs because its all anyone ever says after he gets the ball. When we're hogging the ball and resetting our attacking shape our wingers get a lot of stat padding for lack of a better description.

A perfect example of where he needs to learn and chill was early 2nd half today, we broke on the counter and were 3 on 2, the ball was played out to him with KDB and Raheem I think running into the box and instead of taking a touch and making a simple pass for 4-0, he went for a first time pass that looks flashier but over hit by a mile. KDB and Bruno are good examples, they are too aggressive with the ball but rarely do something overly complicated when its not required. When we play both we're probably better on the counter but lack control. Its a pity as Phil's best position is in the middle but Pep will likely not play him there with KDB unless absolutely necessary. He'll be a winger at City if he's to get in the first team.

I don't know if its a good thing or bad thing but Pep is going to coach it out of him so hopefully he makes the right decision more often, but losing that can lose a bit of unpredictable magic. As Ole said about Bruno (whose of course a different level to Phil) "theres times he'd make you want to tear your hair out".

All that said, I would start him left and Raheem right over Mahrez every day of the week for work rate alone. When Phil plays especially with Bernardo we are miles better defensively even if Pep spends 90 minutes roaring at him to keep him awake..

ExecutionerWasp001

He was schooled by AWB last night. No great shock as AWB does this regularly to his man. He looked too scared to try to beat him & went for the easy backwards & sideways balls.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
He was schooled by AWB last night. No great shock as AWB does this regularly to his man. He looked too scared to try to beat him & went for the easy backwards & sideways balls.
Schooled is a bit strong of an expression, no? Yeah Foden obviously knew he cannot dribble past him but he used his foot quite well nonetheless, creating havoc rather with his movement and quick passing. AWB wasn't exactly on top of this defensive game throughout, mainly thanks to Foden.

ExecutionerWasp001

Schooled is a bit strong of an expression, no? Yeah Foden obviously knew he cannot dribble past him but he used his foot quite well nonetheless, creating havoc rather with his movement and quick passing. AWB wasn't exactly on top of this defensive game throughout, mainly thanks to Foden.
Were we watching the same game. It's very strong to say Foden created havoc. AWB didn't have much to do. Neither defence was really tested. AWB put Foden off his natural game though which has to go as a win in the AWB column. AWB did gift you the second goal but this had nothing to do with his personal duel with Foden.

led_scholes

All the small teams play every now and then homegrown youngsters, bar the odd QPR, because of necessity. Truth is, since City became a sugar daddy club they have an awful record in youngsters, maybe because they needed immediate success as you said but maybe because their culture was not one of promoting youngsters anyway but used to do it because it was one of the small wee clubs in the North.