Phil Foden - What Is His Potential?

MongeySpangle

Supports
Manchester City
Greenwood was better last season, Foden has been the better this season. They are both young so aren't the finished article yet.

Greenwood has the better all round ability & is better than Foden. The main question will be if he has the mentality & the club has stability. He is in the goldfish bowl of Old Trafford where he faces intense scrutiny on & off the pitch. The club also have to help in giving him guidance & making the right signings to build the team.

In this respect Foden has an advantage as there is less pressure for him to perform at City. There will also be less intrusion into his personal life. This will give him the freedom to develop. If he has a bad game and/or the team loses, the media will blame the expensive players rather than the academy graduate.
Empty words. Foden is clear of Greenwood in almost every single aspect. Dribbling ability, energy, passing, ball control and retention, touch, vision and creativity, to name a few. Greenwood is a better finisher and possibly has more pace, but even then I’m not sure about the latter.

Sir Marcus

Great talent who has good pace, acceleration, close-control and you can clearly see his productivity has improved this season. I wouldn't say though that he is a generational talent.

I know I'm an Arsenal fan, but honestly feel Smith-Rowe and Saka are more talented players. But it's too early to judge these younger guys anyway.

I agree and find it ridiculous how people seem to have already decided that Foden is 'tiers above' all these other young talents that have demonstrated more than him so far.

Greenwood is a better player than him. Rashford when started was miles better than him. Rash played in struggling teams and managed to shine. While he is playing in a dominant side that is 90% of the time in the opposition half and near their goal. Put him in LVG team and he wouldn't do the same

Might be slightly hyperbolic but the general point is true - yet people are claiming that Foden is 'already better' than Rashford which is clearly ridiculous.

Sir Marcus

Mount was brilliant today too but experts on here have decided that Mount is a 'level below'.

Classical Mechanic

I’ve often wondered about his confidence and Pep has called him out on it before. He looks like he’s starting to fancy himself a bit. Encouraging if you’re a City or England fan.

Sea-Cow

And my comment was regarding that commentary.

I am saying if it was Rashford or Sterling, Daily Mail headline would be "Arrogant tweet by CL star as he seeks to shift blame on to his social media company."

I don't particularly care abt foden's tweet. I don't have an opinion on that tweet itself.
Fair enough, my mistake.

OrcaFat

He’s a City player so it wouldn’t be a shock if he didn’t get a fair hearing on here. I don’t know how many starts he has but he has not long ago become a regular starter at City. I assume he will get a lot better and he is already very good. Scores quite a few goals too. Annoying all round.

Pickle85

Mason and Foden are completely different players and so any comparison is pointless from the get go. That said, much as I rate Mason (and I do think he'll be a top, top player) if I had to pick one for my squad I'd pick Foden. I really think he's THAT good. His dribbling, comfort with the ball in tight spaces and passing are already elite and he'll still improve. I reckon he'll be one of the best in the world one day.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Mount was brilliant today too but experts on here have decided that Mount is a 'level below'.
The only thing he isn't at least one level below on is his off the ball contributions, which for a ball player doesn't count for much. Obviously a worse finisher / striker, much worse at the final ball, and technically worse in terms of dribbling, passing, touch. The only thing Foden hasn't shown yet that Mount has is that he can act as a key player in the build-up, rather than a supporting player in the last third, but that's just because Mount is competing with Havertz, Foden with de Bruyne. Given his arrogance it seems unlikely he would find that transition difficult. And Mount's role is an important reason why Chelsea have been able to control games for large periods while creating few quality chances under Tuchel. Reasonably impressive for a young player but nothing compared to what Foden is doing.

Haddock

I don't know how many of you watched the U-17 World cup a few years ago but Foden was head and shoulders ahead of everyone else and it wasn't close. His closest rival was daylight.

The only thing I have against him apart from being a City player is that he has the most generic face known to man.

Last edited:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Real air of Rooney about him, not in style, but in that he's gonna be England's best player this generation and rack up huge numbers.

Looks an amazing player, which is sickening.

predator

Youth NITK
He's unreal. Head and shoulders above any English talent I've ever seen in the past 10 years.

If he keeps improving exponentially then he will win the balon d'Or, eventually.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Saw a picture of him from tonights game when he had 5 Villa players around him. Looked like a young Wayne Rooney. The kid got some real potential. Ugly but effective.

Last edited:

izec

I don't know how many of you watched the U-17 World cup a few years ago but Foden was head and shoulders ahead of everyone else and it wasn't close. His closest rival was daylight.

The only thing I have against him apart from being a City player is that he has the most generic face known to man.
I didnt watch it, but i watched the pre season game against City 4 years ago, and while it was only pre season, most never heard of him and he was seriously impressive for such a young and unknown player playing against seniors. It was pretty obvious to me that he was a top player in the making.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I actually liken him more to Wilshere a decade ago. Better with close control and end product in final third but more of that style compared to Rooney's explosive type of game of power in his early days at Everton.

So yeah he's everything and more I thought Wilshere was going to develop into in 2011 but injuries and his and Arsenal's mentality back then stopped that.

Simply has to be starting at the euros ahead of likes of Lingard and Mount given those two have suddenly emerged as serious options for the 11.

Schneiderman

His first touch is just magestic at times. Could be a future ballon d'Or winner, unfortunately.

Robindinho

Absolute class... Why couldn’t he have been a United fan like his Dad and brother? Joined our academy instead and come through here. :(

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
His first touch is just magestic at times. Could be a future ballon d'Or winner, unfortunately.
I agree.
He has come along in leaps & bounds, he was pure class against Villa today. Pep had the luxury of being able to bring him along slowly & I feel it's paid dividends. How much better can get, I don't know but he is some player right now.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
He's unreal. Head and shoulders above any English talent I've ever seen in the past 10 years.

If he keeps improving exponentially then he will win the balon d'Or, eventually.
I wouldn't say head and shoulders, Sancho isn't far off, he is a top talent and had an amazing season followed by a average one, the only difference is that Sancho is playing for a struggling Dortmund side not Peps top City team.

Greenwood is 18 months younger than Foden, he is just as talented but Foden is just at a further level of progression due to age.

Bellingham is just over 3 years younger than Foden, he is a similar level of talent, but further behind in the progression level due to being 17 not 20.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Good young English player, but like every other young English player, has a good season and hes suddenly a generational talent. Give the boy a few years of playing at the same consistency then we can call him a great player.
Is he really a good player because hes that good or is it that hes just good because hes coached by one of the best coaches?

foolsgold

Watched Foden a few times this season, caught the Villa game. Very impressed, if he keeps working he could play at a Scholes type level.

Nothing certain though, needs to keep grafting, but he's in the right place, with the right manager. I'd take him over sancho.

Nicolarra90

The bad kid from Toy Story

RooneyLegend

Just my feeling but I think Peps system is holding him back. Reckon he'd be better in a system with more freedom. England producing Sancho and him at the same time while Grealish is still banging about is bang out of order. This is what a real golden generation looks like.

Leethal

Incredible player.

One of the best English talents I've seen. His potential is absurd.

As an Englishman, it's refreshing to see us have such technically gifted players coming through the ranks. The future looks really bright.