Phil Foden - What Is His Potential?

Danny Roberts

Mental to think back to this narrative given he's now a regular and it took him until the old age of.... 20

People need to chill out when 18/19 year old talents aren't straight in to the first team.
I know what you mean but I think there are two unknowns. If he'd gone on loan, might he have been even better? Second, would he have had more fun playing football?

keithsingleton

Absolutely ridiculous sentiment. They cover their mouths so that lip-readers can't go to the press to make unnecessary stories out of what they're saying- I thought everyone knew that. People like you, who'll turn any tiny detail into a big drama for no reason at all. It's been standard for a long time now.

Suggesting it's because he wants attention is absurd. He just scored the decisive goal in a Champions League quarter final. Everyone is talking about that, absolutely nobody is talking about him having a conversation with Haaland afterwards.

Plenty of United players have done it in the past- I suppose they're all attention-hungry cnuts too?
Whisper whisper whisper shush shush shush whisper whisper whisper

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Rashford is brilliant to be fair and shown a lot more than Foden has in my opinion.

Take it less as a slight on Foden and more of a compliment to Rashford who gets an unfair deal on here.

I wasn't surprised that my comment prompted the usual suspects who spend all their time disparaging Rashford for some strange reason.
Rashford is a top talent. In no way do I intend to besmirch his abilities. but he's, like most of the brilliant English talents coming through, in a tier below Foden.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Rashford is brilliant to be fair and shown a lot more than Foden has in my opinion.
To be fair there's a very good reason for that and it's game time. Rashford's been a regular starter since breaking into the team in the Europa League. That was five years ago.

Foden didn't really become a starter for City outside of cup games until the restart last season. Since then I'd argue he's shown more.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
He's having another kid so his nob is in good order anyway.

I had a kid quite young but no way would i have been mature enough to have 2 by 20, if I'm honest I wasn't mature enough at 22

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Foden is a great player but i have this weird feeling (backed by nothing but my own intuition) that he'll have a hard time sustaining this level of magic after Pep is gone, like Bernardo who was exceptionnal for a season, or Sterling. Of course he's still very young but he looks like a Guardiola player to me. It doesn't mean that he isn't going to be an elite player though.

But again, it's really only based on intuition.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Foden is a great player but i have this weird feeling (backed by nothing but my own intuition) that he'll have a hard time sustaining this level of magic after Pep is gone, like Bernardo who was exceptionnal for a season, or Sterling. Of course he's still very young but he looks like a Guardiola player to me. It doesn't mean that he isn't going to be an elite player though.

But again, it's really only based on intuition.
I guess this is all very subjecting but what he's doing is what I consider elite, I don't think he's been out-of-this-world great to a point that's beyond what he's capable of, like a huge purple patch. I believe he can sustain this level no matter the manager. He's going to have inconstancies for sure at his age, but he has qualities and the intelligence to apply those qualities that I think will help him be a great player for the long run.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Really looks like a young Iniesta to me.
Seems very different to Iniesta who had this incredible balance and ability to leave players tangled in his wake, and was much more of a playmaker. Foden looks good but he runs in straight lines and comes across as more about energy, efficiency and end product.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Seems very different to Iniesta who had this incredible balance and ability to leave players tangled in his wake, and was much more of a playmaker. Foden looks good but he runs in straight lines and comes across as more about energy, efficiency and end product.
I don’t agree with that. Foden has that innate ability to shift the ball from side to side as he snakes between 2/3/4 players.

Sea-Cow

Imagine if this was Rashford or Sterling. Arrogant tweet by CL star as he seeks to shift blame on to his social media company.
Asking another player, a world superstar, if they're ready is arrogant?

Sea-Cow

He's having another kid so his nob is in good order anyway.

I had a kid quite young but no way would i have been mature enough to have 2 by 20, if I'm honest I wasn't mature enough at 22
Same, but I also couldn't afford a team of nannies and house cleaners and maids and tutors etc etc. I am sure Phil and his brood will be fine.

Sir Marcus

To be fair there's a very good reason for that and it's game time. Rashford's been a regular starter since breaking into the team in the Europa League. That was five years ago.

Foden didn't really become a starter for City outside of cup games until the restart last season. Since then I'd argue he's shown more.

Well thats kind of my point, Rashford had as good a start to his career as Foden but has also had more time to go through some rough patches coupled with injuries etc and you would be extremely naive to think the same won't happen to Foden at some point.

Foden has been playing really well and is clearly a superb talent but I think people are getting a bit carried away a bit too quickly, exemplified by people declaring him already being 'better' than Rashford.

Rashford is a top talent. In no way do I intend to besmirch his abilities. but he's, like most of the brilliant English talents coming through, in a tier below Foden.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion, and I would actually trust your opinions on this matter more so than any Utd/City fan but I respectfully disagree, for now at least.

Rashford scored a brace on his debut, scored against Arsenal on his PL debut, scored on his CL debut, scored in his first Manchester derby, scored on his England debut and has a goal scoring record vs the top 6 clubs to rival Jamie Vardy's. Rashford is a brilliant player and though I really rate Foden, I tend to have a higher threshold than most it seems before I already declare him to be 'better' than players that have shown much more than him so far.

Red Cafe is definitely a strange place though and I am not surprised at all to see so many on here already declaring Foden as the best thing since sliced bread. There would be a wank fest of massive proportions on here if Foden came off the bench and scored a hat trick vs the 2nd placed Bundesliga team or if he scored some of the goals that Rashford has done against the top clubs, of that I'm certain.

Exciting times for the English national team!

Sea-Cow

So what do you think "call out Kylian Mbappe" means?
But that was a commentary on his tweet. And it was also an over the top commentary, similar to your comment.

To me, calling someone out would be along the lines of "Hey Neymar, tell your sister I said Hi" or "Hey Di Maria, you were a giant waste of space at United and you should apologize for getting the Sea-Cow's hopes up when you scored that worldly against Leicster"

I would say Phil called out Mbappe if he said "Are you ready, bitch?" But thats not what he did.

I just think that tweet is very very tame and I am surprised at anyone clutching pearls.

mav_9me

But that was a commentary on his tweet. And it was also an over the top commentary, similar to your comment.

To me, calling someone out would be along the lines of "Hey Neymar, tell your sister I said Hi" or "Hey Di Maria, you were a giant waste of space at United and you should apologize for getting the Sea-Cow's hopes up when you scored that worldly against Leicster"

I would say Phil called out Mbappe if he said "Are you ready, bitch?" But thats not what he did.

I just think that tweet is very very tame and I am surprised at anyone clutching pearls.
And my comment was regarding that commentary.

I am saying if it was Rashford or Sterling, Daily Mail headline would be "Arrogant tweet by CL star as he seeks to shift blame on to his social media company."

I don't particularly care abt foden's tweet. I don't have an opinion on that tweet itself.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

I don't think it was any disrespect, but it's more of a sporting situation where you don't want to wake up the sleeping dog, not that Mbappe's been sleeping in the CL far from it, but why give an ultra-competitor like Mbappe more motivation by having an international story made from a tweet? Guaranteed now if Mbappe has a good game, people will make a story of how that tweet might have had something to do with it. It's silly, completely unreasonable, but it also could have been entirely avoided by actually making your own content and not leaving it to someone else. You can't be living in 2021 and not expect this clickbait media not to make a meal out of that tweet.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He’s technically brilliant and a good dribbler. That’s all at the moment. He will be a good player but it’s hard to tell how good at the moment. I’d still be willing to bet Greenwood is a better player in 5 years time.

Giggsyking

Greenwood is a better player than him. Rashford when started was miles better than him. Rash played in struggling teams and managed to shine. While he is playing in a dominant side that is 90% of the time in the opposition half and near their goal. Put him in LVG team and he wouldn't do the same

Classical Mechanic

I don't think it was any disrespect, but it's more of a sporting situation where you don't want to wake up the sleeping dog, not that Mbappe's been sleeping in the CL far from it, but why give an ultra-competitor like Mbappe more motivation by having an international story made from a tweet?
I don't think it's that. He doesn't want to promote the idea that the game is somehow a face off between the two players. It's a team game and such narratives are small time and unnecessary.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He’s technically brilliant and a good dribbler. That’s all at the moment. He will be a good player but it’s hard to tell how good at the moment. I’d still be willing to bet Greenwood is a better player in 5 years time.
What? he's got a rocket of a shot on him, he's a great passer, he can take people on 1v1. He works very hard, never stops running.

If he played for United you'd be saying very different things. The kid is class.

red4ever 79

What? he's got a rocket of a shot on him, he's a great passer, he can take people on 1v1. He works very hard, never stops running.

If he played for United you'd be saying very different things. The kid is class.
This kid is the real deal. You get these once in a generation talents, like Owen, Rooney. Even though he is a City player you cannot deny that he is the best young English player out there. Great dribbling, beautiful control and balance, exceptional passer and scores goals.

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
Great talent who has good pace, acceleration, close-control and you can clearly see his productivity has improved this season. I wouldn't say though that he is a generational talent.

I know I'm an Arsenal fan, but honestly feel Smith-Rowe and Saka are more talented players. But it's too early to judge these younger guys anyway.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This kid is the real deal. You get these once in a generation talents, like Owen, Rooney. Even though he is a City player you cannot deny that he is the best young English player out there. Great dribbling, beautiful control and balance, exceptional passer and scores goals.
Yeah, I don't really understand why people want to play him down, if he was Spanish people would be raving about him.

Hammondo

For me what stands out is his passing. Weighted beautifully, and imo competing for the best passer in the league, but isn't quite there yet.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Great talent who has good pace, acceleration, close-control and you can clearly see his productivity has improved this season. I wouldn't say though that he is a generational talent.

I know I'm an Arsenal fan, but honestly feel Smith-Rowe and Saka are more talented players. But it's too early to judge these younger guys anyway.
Come on, now. Saka’s a very good talent, Smith Rowe looks alright, but Foden is definitely a level ahead.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Exciting next few years for the England NT with the talent coming through. Just looking at their options for the attacking positions: Rashford, Kane, Sterling, Sancho, Foden, Grealish, Mount, Maddison, Greenwood, DCL (to name a few).

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Greenwood is a better player than him.
Foden has twice as many goals and over twice as many assists in the league as Greenwood this season. Greenwood is good, but come on.

You might say he's playing in a better attack, and City's attack is better, but barely. 61 goals for United, 67 for City. And Foden tends to sit deeper too.

red4ever 79

:)

Noot

Supports
Manchester City

I have to say I've honestly no idea what you're basing the Smith-Rowe shout on. I really like Saka but ESR has done nothing but a handful of assists so far in the league. When he gets his obligatory Arsenal youngster spell at wing-back we'll see if he can tackle...

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
Come on, now. Saka’s a very good talent, Smith Rowe looks alright, but Foden is definitely a level ahead.
Smith-Rowe is better than alright, either you've barely watched him or your ignorant. Obviously Fodens a level above now but I'm talking about overall potential to become world class.

I watch a lot of Foden and it's just my opinion that he'll become a top player but I could probably name several players under 20 around the world who have bigger talent.

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
I have to say I've honestly no idea what you're basing the Smith-Rowe shout on. I really like Saka but ESR has done nothing but a handful of assists so far in the league. When he gets his obligatory Arsenal youngster spell at wing-back we'll see if he can tackle...
Fodens clearly a better player now because he's consistently producing in a top team. But I think Smith-Rowe has a higher ceiling as an attacking midfielder/playmaker.

ExecutionerWasp001

Foden has twice as many goals and over twice as many assists in the league as Greenwood this season. Greenwood is good, but come on.

You might say he's playing in a better attack, and City's attack is better, but barely. 61 goals for United, 67 for City. And Foden tends to sit deeper too.
Greenwood was better last season, Foden has been the better this season. They are both young so aren't the finished article yet.

Greenwood has the better all round ability & is better than Foden. The main question will be if he has the mentality & the club has stability. He is in the goldfish bowl of Old Trafford where he faces intense scrutiny on & off the pitch. The club also have to help in giving him guidance & making the right signings to build the team.

In this respect Foden has an advantage as there is less pressure for him to perform at City. There will also be less intrusion into his personal life. This will give him the freedom to develop. If he has a bad game and/or the team loses, the media will blame the expensive players rather than the academy graduate.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Greenwood has the better all round ability & is better than Foden.
You're basing this on absolutely nothing. Greenwood is a better finisher, I'll give you that. Better passer? Foden. Better dribbler? Foden. I could go on.

Paddy B

Supports
Manchester City
Greenwood was better last season, Foden has been the better this season. They are both young so aren't the finished article yet.

Greenwood has the better all round ability & is better than Foden. The main question will be if he has the mentality & the club has stability. He is in the goldfish bowl of Old Trafford where he faces intense scrutiny on & off the pitch. The club also have to help in giving him guidance & making the right signings to build the team.

In this respect Foden has an advantage as there is less pressure for him to perform at City. There will also be less intrusion into his personal life. This will give him the freedom to develop. If he has a bad game and/or the team loses, the media will blame the expensive players rather than the academy graduate.
Gotta laugh at some of your comments. Foden has had intense media scrutiny over the last few months. And the reason Foden is developing so well is because of less intrusion in his personal life haha!!.

The last sentence of your second paragraph... what does this actually mean??.

You say if he has a bad game the media will blame the expensive players on City's team... United have even more expensive players than City so what's the difference.

Finally, to say that Greenwood has better all round ability than Foden is highly dubious to say the least. But I am not gonna argue with you..we should both be happy that two such young and exciting talents have emerged and, hopefully, will have fantastic futures in the game.