14/15Shinbone injuryOct 23, 2014Dec 11, 201449 days7
14/15Hamstring InjurySep 8, 2014Oct 6, 201428 days4
13/14Shoulder InjuryMay 5, 2014Jun 23, 201449 days2

asonInjuryfromuntilDaysGames missed
13/14ConcussionFeb 17, 2014Mar 6, 201417 days2
13/14Knee InjuryDec 26, 2013Jan 6, 201411 days4
12/13Ankle InjuryFeb 18, 2013Apr 1, 201342 days8
12/13Knee InjurySep 10, 2012Nov 8, 201259 days13

I mean.....who will loan/buy/sign on free this? Even transfermarkt gave up of tracking injuries last year (and he had them whole season).
And by this record, he needs a lot of time to regain game fitness after every injury
The Venous Occlusion was DVT from a flight back from the USA following a pre-season tour. It was then that I realised he wasn’t just injury prone but seemed to be cursed.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I could swear that he had few back injuries ...i think that these are only his major injuries. :eek:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Might sound childish and shallow but one of the most annoying things about Phil Jones is that he’s just taking up the #4 shirt.

No Love

Might sound childish and shallow but one of the most annoying things about Phil Jones is that he’s just taking up the #4 shirt.
From Hargreaves to Jones, right? Let’s get someone wearing it who isn’t injury ravaged!

Nero

That chart doesn't include any of last season, he hasn't been seen since before the first lockdown.

Renegade

I genuinely think Ozil has been completely mistreated at Arsenal. Just because his views (in public) don’t align with Arsenal football club doesn’t mean he’s a scumbag. They’ve left him to rot in the reserves and not once has he refused to play. If someone puts a £350k a week contract in front of you, you bloody sign it. When he got that contract he was on fire man. I love what’s happening at Arsenal but surely Ozil walks into that team and starts creating.
I hate this narrative Ozil seems to have now. He ran his original contract down and was flirting with the idea of walking away for nothing for months. I doubt Arsenal just put 350k in front of him. He and his agent would have negotiated that to stop leaving at the time his stock was high. He believed that was his worth. When he gets the contract his performance levels were so low. He couldn’t be trusted away from home because of a lack of effort. Arsenal were definitely idiots for giving him the deal but they wouldn’t have wanted to lose a asset they paid £40m for nothing.

DRM

What is up with him? Is he actually injured or just way down the pecking order?

Alemar

What is up with him? Is he actually injured or just way down the pecking order?
Injured most likely - he always is. But he is the last in the pecking order regardless so it doesn’t matter

Doracle

Presumably still recovering from the surgery mentioned in the list above but I don’t actually think he would make the bench currently even if fit - he’s fifth choice CB.

Shame for him as, contrary to other views on here, I think he had the potential to be a very good player for us. However, if he can get fit, he strikes me as someone who probably would want to move to get football, so I’d expect we may see him move in the Summer.

Counterfactual

"Phil Jones, who last featured for the Reds in the 6-0 Emirates FA Cup win over Tranmere in January, has not been included in the Champions League and Premier League squads for 2020/21, after surgery.

“Phil has been injured and he had an operation and he’s been working really hard to get back. He’ll hopefully get fit during December. That was a natural thing when you’re injured, you can’t really be in the squad can you? He’s working really diligently and he’ll be coming back soon.”"
https://www.manutd.com/en/news/manchester-united-injuries-and-suspensions

And he scored that day too! 26th January 2020... almost a year ago. My how the world has changed!

MoskvaRed

"Phil Jones, who last featured for the Reds in the 6-0 Emirates FA Cup win over Tranmere in January, has not been included in the Champions League and Premier League squads for 2020/21, after surgery.

“Phil has been injured and he had an operation and he’s been working really hard to get back. He’ll hopefully get fit during December. That was a natural thing when you’re injured, you can’t really be in the squad can you? He’s working really diligently and he’ll be coming back soon.”"
https://www.manutd.com/en/news/manchester-united-injuries-and-suspensions

And he scored that day too! 26th January 2020... almost a year ago. My how the world has changed!
With hindsight, Phil scoring (and in the right net) was probably a harbinger of doom, like when a fiery comet appeared in the sky in medieval times.

bdspeedy

Always hoped he would live up to expectations. Always seemed to give us his all but he's been useless for 3 years. Whoever authorized his latest contract should be sacked. Why can't we release him and write off the loss like we did with Schweinsteiger?

DomM

Are we still paying this guy or does he pay rent?

No Love

What is going on here then? Is he still injured? Appears to have survived another transfer window. Newcastle rumoured to be sniffing around him at one point, but it all went quiet pretty quick. Even Derby and West Brom were linked, if I remember correctly. I recall an update in which Ole said he would be injured and unavailable until ‘after Christmas’, could it be that the same injury is preventing teams coming in for him? All just seems odd.

SeanyC

The day some papers where reporting that Jones will be the next Duncan Edwards just seems more laughable as the days go on. Was never capable of reaching the heights that were talked about. Yes injuries played a massive part but my god, the guy should have left long ago.

Red00012

What is going on here then? Is he still injured? Appears to have survived another transfer window. Newcastle rumoured to be sniffing around him at one point, but it all went quiet pretty quick. Even Derby and West Brom were linked, if I remember correctly. I recall an update in which Ole said he would be injured and unavailable until ‘after Christmas’, could it be that the same injury is preventing teams coming in for him? All just seems odd.
He’s most likely still injured , there’s no club going to take a chance on him .

No Love

He’s most likely still injured , there’s no club going to take a chance on him .
I guess so. I don’t blame other clubs for not biting, in fairness. I’d have fancied Large Samuel to bring him in at West Brom, but not to be. Let’s see what the summer window holds for Jonah. Really needs to be playing games at this stage, unless he’s just content with his lot.

VivaRonaldo85

Christ when I saw this bumped, I hoped I really did, that something was happening with a surprise transfer. But nope, another half a season in the stands for Phil on 100k a week or whatever crazy money he’s getting for watching football. Let’s be honest, who would take a footballer on his wages and with his appalling injury record. Literally a worthless asset right now!

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Without injuries, do people think he had the attributes to be a success at Old Trafford? I'm still inclined to believe yes. He was never going to be a Ferdinand but he had it in him to perform a Vidic role, or perhaps a more flexible O'Shea CB/RB/DM. I wouldn't say his ability on the ball is worse than Maguire for example, or Wan Bissaka.

Cecc07

I can't belive he is still at the club. We always have players who underperforming for years or doesn't perform at all, but still they keep getting paid to do nothing good for the club. There so many examples with such players or others that are past their best for years before we sold or release them. Jones, Lingard, Young, Valencia are small portion of many examples. The club should be way more ruthless if we want to be the club we should be.

Devil81

To be honest it's not like he's even worth talking about anymore. He might be at the club but he's certainly no part of the plans or even in contention to play football matches.

I'm not even sure there is an injury, I think it's possibly made up and he's told them he's seeing out his contract.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I can't belive he is still at the club. We always have players who underperforming for years or doesn't perform at all, but still they keep getting paid to do nothing good for the club. There so many examples with such players or others that are past their best for years before we sold or release them. Jones, Lingard, Young, Valencia are small portion of many examples. The club should be way more ruthless if we want to be the club we should be.
I wouldn't compare him with Jones. Valencia was an absolutely solid squad and team player for us.

Put it this way, if you were a manager, would you buy him?

Perennially injured and not very good when he isn't. In an age where managers last about 5 minutes, nobody is putting their neck on the line to sign this guy. We're stuck with him.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
When does his current contract end? What an overly ridiculous situation, why can't we just terminate his contract?

I don't think he ever had the attributes to be a top CB for united, his body is not ideal for a defender. We'll never know, just ship him out before he's due a testimonial, which i'm sure ironically he won't be fit to play in.

Cecc07

Whoever gave him that new contract needs to be sued by the club for fraud.
I agree with that, I'm not sure is he good enough even for Sileks Kratovo or Botev Vratsa but I will be glad if he go there :D

Jericho

His 10 season here. Let's give him a testimonial and a new contract. If he can stay injury-free he could become the greatest player ever for the club.

No Love

Put it this way, if you were a manager, would you buy him?

Perennially injured and not very good when he isn't. In an age where managers last about 5 minutes, nobody is putting their neck on the line to sign this guy. We're stuck with him.
I agree with you, my friend. I wouldn’t go anywhere near him. I was just speculating regarding what is going on with him/wondering what the status of his most recent injury is. There were some links, but it all died down pretty fast. As you stated, we are stuck with him.

stevoc

When does his current contract end? What an overly ridiculous situation, why can't we just terminate his contract?

I don't think he ever had the attributes to be a top CB for united, his body is not ideal for a defender. We'll never know, just ship him out before he's due a testimonial, which i'm sure ironically he won't be fit to play in.
Another 2.5 years left to run and it ends in summer 2023, but don't worry there is an option to extend that by a further year to 2024. Just in case anyone is worried we will lose him.

I think he'd have to agree to terminate his contract, United would have to pay out the remaining salary on his contract. I don't see Phil agreeing to end his contract without a full payout much like Romero, Rojo and Lingard (until his loan) he's probably happy to sit on his arse picking up a wage he couldn't get at any other club.

Oldyella

Another 2.5 years left to run and it ends in summer 2023, but don't worry there is an option to extend that by a further year to 2024. Just in case anyone is worried we will lose him.

I think he'd have to agree to terminate his contract, United would have to pay out the remaining salary on his contract. I don't see Phil agreeing to end his contract without a full payout much like Romero, Rojo and Lingard (until his loan) he's probably happy to sit on his arse picking up a wage he couldn't get at any other club.
Someones head really should roll for signing off on that contract.

stevoc

Someones head really should roll for signing off on that contract.
But lets make sure the head doesn't roll in the direction of Phil. He'd probably trip over it, injure himself and be out for another 6 months.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Can't believe he's still being talked about at press conferences when Ole is saying who all is missing. It kind of goes without saying. I think he actually got injured in the first lockdown back in March when there wasn't even any football, and he's been injured ever since.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Young, Valencia and probably even Lingard were fine up until 12-18 months before they left. Yes they stayed a little too long but it's nothing like the situation we have with Jones.

Status
Not open for further replies.