Phil Jones image 4

Phil Jones England flag

2020-21 Performances

View full 2020-21 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alemar

Do you think Phil Jones spends his time reading his performance thread on Redcafe and watching random Youtube videos about himself?
He has nothing else to do, to be frank. He doesn’t play, he doesn’t train, he is invisible in the media...

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Has the club ever decided not to have a testimonial for someone who was here over ten years?

I like Jones, not sure if he’s earned a testimonial though.

Paul_Scholes18

Tbh he’s played pretty well most of the games last years but since he’s got the mark “mistake prone”, any mistake or poor intervention will be remembered forever and multiplied by a hundred.
Yeah I think he had a poor half vs Sheffield, but another ref could have given him a free kick before the goal.

Against City he struggled a bit in the cup and then he scored vs league 1 side in the cup.

That is it though so like 3-4 games?

stevoc

Has the club ever decided not to have a testimonial for someone who was here over ten years?

I like Jones, not sure if he’s earned a testimonial though.
Valencia? Smalling?

Though Covid probably ruled Smalling's out to be fair.

FatTails

200 PL games in 12 seasons, an average of 16.67 games a season, which is just about how many Maguire plays in a week!

I feel sorry for him.

flappyjay

Loan him out and pay the 75% of the wages maybe he will impress someone. 2023 is too far way to wait for his contract to expire.

pav1790

The existence of God has been debated for millennia, lest we forget
That doesn’t tell me enough about where your beliefs are on that questions so I haven’t decided yet if it’s a clever comment or not.

Kostov

The best we can hope is that the ones who gave him an extension got some fine or deduction, since it obvious they were not fired like they deserved.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
200 PL games in 12 seasons, an average of 16.67 games a season, which is just about how many Maguire plays in a week!

I feel sorry for him.
Poor guy :(

I’ll be playing the world's smallest violin in his honour.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Do we know who's decision it was to award him that contract extension? Must be one of the most brain dead decisions in world football history.
Probably a good will decision. He's given his best for the club whether we like him or not.

No doubt he's struggling mentally right now so leaving him with no income while crocked isn't what the club is about. We did the same for Fletcher too.

I hope he can get back fit so he can play elsewhere at least.

Paul_Scholes18

Probably a good will decision. He's given his best for the club whether we like him or not.

No doubt he's struggling mentally right now so leaving him with no income while crocked isn't what the club is about. We did the same for Fletcher too.

He was a regular starter and not injured at the time of the contract. It made sense to think about extending even if we wanted to sell.

Adam-Utd

He was a regular starter and not injured at the time of the contract. It made sense to think about extending even if we wanted to sell.
Think he'd only just returned from his previous injury, but yes the club seem to prefer to renew and sell rather than let them walk for free.

I think it's more to keep the value of the players on the books, but im no accountant.

Paul_Scholes18

Think he'd only just returned from his previous injury, but yes the club seem to prefer to renew and sell rather than let them walk for free.

I think it's more to keep the value of the players on the books, but im no accountant.
I know he got injured before the end and lost his starting spot to Smalling who Ole did not rate much too.

Although I think he did not play much under Mourinho meltdown if I remember it right. Probably dropped mostly rather than always injured since Ole had him straight into the team.

Matt851

Good will decision. What am i reading? He was already a multi millionaire not on the breadline.

I really dont think we extended out of charity, more incompetence. He had a decent run of form before his contract was extended and we made a short sighted decision seemingly ignoring his previous injuries to extend his contract. Guessing it was to protect his value, seemingly forgetting no one would ever pay huge wages for someone proven to be a crock

Adam-Utd

Good will decision. What am i reading? He was already a multi millionaire not on the breadline.

I really dont think we extended out of charity, more incompetence. He had a decent run of form before his contract was extended and we made a short sighted decision seemingly ignoring his previous injuries to extend his contract. Guessing it was to protect his value, seemingly forgetting no one would ever pay huge wages for someone proven to be a crock
Well we don't know the true answer do we? but whether you like it or not they've still got bills to pay, people to feed etc.

Why did we extend Fletchers deal for so long? that wasn't to protect his value either. This club don't just discard people like meat which is a good thing IMO.

For all we know, Jones might be having some real mental problems behind the scenes and they're giving him time to recover.

Olecurls99

Yeah I think he had a poor half vs Sheffield, but another ref could have given him a free kick before the goal.

Against City he struggled a bit in the cup and then he scored vs league 1 side in the cup.

That is it though so like 3-4 games?
I always thought that. It was a clear foul. Barged in the back as he tried to clear. You see those given to centre halfs all the time. It wasn't shoulder to shoulder whatsoever but the press just passed it over like all was fine.

Up there with the Vardy one on Rafael for me. Although that one had the dive too which was the icing in the cake.

I definitely think refs can lean to the little teams with their decision making.

Devil81

Starting to think this situation is one of the those where a player has been completely frozen out but won't move due to his salary.

I've seen no photos of him, little to no mention of him and been given no progress of when he will ever be fit. It's like the club have erased him from the squad.

Olecurls99

Well we don't know the true answer do we? but whether you like it or not they've still got bills to pay, people to feed etc.

Why did we extend Fletchers deal for so long? that wasn't to protect his value either. This club don't just discard people like meat which is a good thing IMO.

For all we know, Jones might be having some real mental problems behind the scenes and they're giving him time to recover.
He's earned north of 30 million for Christ's sake. I'm all for laying off Jones and he has had some good spells for us, but to talk about bills to pay when he's a multimillionaire is a bit rich. :)

Adam-Utd

He's earned north of 30 million for Christ's sake. I'm all for laying off Jones and he has had some good spells for us, but to talk about bills to pay when he's a multimillionaire is a bit rich. :)
Everything is relative. He might have businesses, house and car payments, school fees etc. Yes he's obviously richer than most of us, but it won't take long to eat that away if you're used to a certain type of living.

Anyway, the club probably thought he was over his issues but they seem to just be getting worse. His knee must be pretty messed up if it's taken him this long to return.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I swear if I see any 'how can he have mental health problems he's a millionaire' posts I'm going to scream.

Matt851

Everything is relative. He might have businesses, house and car payments, school fees etc. Yes he's obviously richer than most of us, but it won't take long to eat that away if you're used to a certain type of living.

Anyway, the club probably thought he was over his issues but they seem to just be getting worse. His knee must be pretty messed up if it's taken him this long to return.
This must be a piss take

If the club want to give to charity then there are a lot who would be more deserving of the money than the phil jones foundation for injured gurning centre backs

Adam-Utd

This must be a piss take

If the club want to give to charity then there are a lot who would be more deserving of the money than the phil jones foundation for injured gurning centre backs
His wages might be covered by insurance policies anyway? who knows.

You clearly can't see by your green envious eyes to have a sensible discussion so i'll leave it there.

Bwuk

I swear if I see any 'how can he have mental health problems he's a millionaire' posts I'm going to scream.
Really p*sses me off actually too. Was the exact same when Lingard was here.

Should be a bannable offence.

stevoc

To be fair every time Phil Jones is playing it's safe to assume he's just returning from his previous injury and preparing for his next one.

SuperiorXI

I don't have anything against Jones personally and if he's struggling I wish him well; if that is true then the club has done him no favours I'm sorry to say. There are better ways to deal with that for example maybe a loan somewhere where the club subsidise his wage on the down low. Instead they made a big song and dance about the renewal - it was a big renewal as well from 2019 until 2023 with an option of a further year. They've essentially kept him in the limelight open to questions like this like "why is he even at Man United".

Adam-Utd

To be fair every time Phil Jones is playing it's safe to assume he's just returning from his previous injury and preparing for his next one.
Does seem that way unfortunately for him, his style of play is just too aggressive for his body.
I don't have anything against Jones personally and if he's struggling I wish him well; if that is true then the club has done him no favours I'm sorry to say. There are better ways to deal with that for example maybe a loan somewhere where the club subsidise his wage on the down low. Instead they made a big song and dance about the renewal - it was a big renewal as well from 2019 until 2023 with an option of a further year. They've essentially kept him in the limelight open to questions like this like "why is he even at Man United".
Yes, I at the time was one questioning it too - and the length of renewal did seem strange.

I can only assume the club like him, he's homegrown English too which helps with the mandatory quota. I can only assume they expected him to remain fit after his injury, but then he had that horror of a performance away to Sheffield and I don't think we've seen him since.

youngrell

I'm not sure why it bothers so many people. It's not like he's fit and not putting in the required effort, or a bad influence around the place.

The club made an error giving him such a lengthy renewal, but until he's fit we can neither use him or try to sell/loan him.

I bet he'd like nothing more than to be contributing to the squad.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Supposedly, Moyes wants him at West Ham.

Status
Not open for further replies.