Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We have 2 CBs available for Chelsea game (Lindelof and Bailly) with Maguire suspended and Varane injured but yeah it's embarrassing to take a CB to be on the bench :lol:

choccy77

Your post is embarrassing
Not at all.

Have we sunken so bad that we are now at the point we are considering calling up a player like Phil Jones as a starting or substitute player against Chelsea?

You do not play someone with his history against the team likely to win the Premiership.

roonster09

Scout
Not at all.

Have we sunken so bad that we are now at the point we are considering calling up a player like Phil Jones as a starting or substitute player against Chelsea?

You do not play someone with his history against the team likely to win the Premiership.
Do you know how many CBs we have in the match day squad?

Oranges038

Just embarrassing.

Doubt it means much, he travelled to the european game and couldn't play as not registered.

Probably just need him around to clean boots at this point.
It is a joke, even it were only to clean boots.

That place should go to a player who actually has a future at the club, a young player to get experience of travelling with the first team, or maybe even a player who is actually able to play.

Instead, it goes to a player who hasn't played for 2 years and who's career is all but over. Laughable.

Addled

It is a joke, even it were only to clean boots.

That place should go to a player who actually has a future at the club, a young player to get experience of travelling with the first team, or maybe even a player who is actually able to play.

Instead, it goes to a player who hasn't played for 2 years and who's career is all but over. Laughable.
So a player who has come through a career threatening injury should be thrown on the scrap heap.
Someone call Klopp immediately. The big prick from Holland needs to be sold to Reading ASAP. He obviously has no use to the club following his near career ending injury.
I mean really, can some of you have a little faith in what can be achieved by hard work and determination. This guy seems like he really wants to play for the club. Compared to others in the first team squad this is a mindset i would gladly accept.
Don’t forget that it cost 80 mil to replace him. He certainly has a value.
The good news is that it is an away game and we know enough about our away supporters to know that they will cherish Jones and if the situation arises will welcome him back with open arms. Unlike some here.
Clean boots? Some here are not fit to lace his.

roonster09

Scout
So a player who has come through a career threatening injury should be thrown on the scrap heap.
Someone call Klopp immediately. The big prick from Holland needs to be sold to Reading ASAP. He obviously has no use to the club following his near career ending injury.
I mean really, can some of you have a little faith in what can be achieved by hard work and determination. This guy seems like he really wants to play for the club. Compared to others in the first team squad this is a mindset i would gladly accept.
The good news is that it is an away game and we know enough about our away supporters to know that they will cherish Jones and if the situation arises will welcome him back with open arms. Unlike some here.
If we had fully fit squad its easy to see why he doesn't deserve to be in the match day squad but we have only 2 fit CBs and still people are moaning about a CB being added to the squad.

Andersonson

Just embarrassing.

Doubt it means much, he travelled to the european game and couldn't play as not registered.

Wow. The guy has had a nightmare of injuries and you still can't support him as a united player?

Terrible attitude and frankly embarrassing post

choccy77

No wonder the club is so bad in 2021 with fans accepting player's who shouldn't even be at the club, potentially being considered for first team action.

Please look at yourselves in the mirror and be honest, Phil Jones is not worthy of being a United player capable of winning trophies and if you disagree, you clearly are in denial.

roonster09

Scout
No wonder the club is so bad in 2021 with fans accepting player's who shouldn't even be at the club, potentially being considered for first team action.

Please look at yourselves in the mirror and be honest, Phil Jones is not worthy of being a United player capable of winning trophies and if you disagree, you clearly are in denial.
:lol:

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC

:lol:

Oranges038

Well that was one year, after one bad injury to the best defender in the game. Roy Keane spent a year out with a similar injury, so did Del Piero, there's any amount of player who have done the same.

This guy has been at the club 10 years and has spent most of that injured or fighting injury. He's not worth a place at the club as a player, because he is actually physically incapable of playing the game to the standards required of a PL footballer. So he shouldn't be anywhere near the team. The club has been given spoofers like Jones too many chances and is one the reason why it is where is today. Guys getting loads of chances, not being good enough and still being given more.

Imagine being a young player there and you are working hard and you see Jones, Martial, Lingard, Pereira, Dalot getting all the time in the world to prove themselves while you are still sitting waiting or going out on loan to Villa again or going away to Birmingham, Swansea or Forest to try and prove yourself.

What message does that send out?

Red00012

Just embarrassing.

Eh there’s a good chance he could make the bench . He is currently our 5th choice CB.
Not sure what’s embarrassing only your post.

Sviken

Wow. The guy has had a nightmare of injuries and you still can't support him as a united player?

Terrible attitude and frankly embarrassing post
Umm, this guy has spent his whole time here on the treatment table. He has contributed virtually nothing for the club and has basically been gifted millions just because, not accounting for the whole treatment enchilada that the club is also paying for. So yes, fans have a right to be upset that the club is wasting millions that could have gone to actually a good player who could have contributed. This type of sentimentality has got us to where we are at the moment and the sooner we get rid of it, the sooner the club would be better. Jones is not the only example here, of course, but he is the most extreme one. He hasn't played for years. No top club would tolerate something like this. Why does it seem to me that most United fans do not have the backbone to call something like this? It's like some kind of inferiority complex is running around this club "oh we can't be like Madrid or Bayern, we're special. We have heart". Who is gonna give me 75k per week in real life for not showing up to work or doing any of it? Like any company in the world is gonna give even the slightest feck whether you're sick or not. You either do a job or you're out. Phil Jones doesn't, but okay - let's pay him because he's a good lad... or something.

Foxbatt

Probably in his contract that the club pay for his treatment. If he is fit he is the only choice for CB now. Shaw is injured too and I guess Jones is a better option than Mata at CB.

United in sin

I'd rather have Mengi on the bench. Jones is a passenger who many will happily keep on at the club for the good of no one

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Standards have fallen ...

Because our 5th CB isn't deemed good enough to sit on the bench by the armchair experts :lol:

The coaching staff sees him in training and he has played in closed door games and the reserves. They think if he needed to be brought on Jones would do a better job than Mengi.

He's just gotten fully fit, like 2 months ago. You cant sell an injured player, stop with the hysterics.

Also please stop with the "shouldn't have been given a contract" nonsense.

He's on a modest salary and was in the England squad. Its like saying dont extend VDB or Lingard, because they're not good enough for the first XI. If the salary is modest, you can always sell later. From the club's perspective the contract made sense.

Plenty of injury prone players dont pick up a career threatening injury. Bailly hasn't. Would you guys not have extended Bailly? Same people crying about our 5th CB's perceived lack of quality want us to not have 5 CBs... Great.

CB's don't grow on trees. Maguire cost 80m and Ben White and Ake cost 50m. Yet you guys want us to buy 2 new CBs while also letting have the squad walk for free....

R'hllor

Because our 5th CB isn't deemed good enough to sit on the bench by the armchair experts :lol:

The coaching staff sees him in training and he has played in closed door games and the reserves. They think if he needed to be brought on Jones would do a better job than Mengi.

He's just gotten fully fit, like 2 months ago. You cant sell an injured player, stop with the hysterics.

He's on a modest salary and was in the England squad. Its like saying dont extend VDB or Lingard, because they're not good enough for the first XI. If the salary is modest, you can always sell later. From the club's perspective the contract made sense.

Plenty of injury prone players dont pick up a career threatening injury. Bailly hasn't. Would you guys not have extended Bailly? Same people crying about our 5th CB's perceived lack of quality want us to not have 5 CBs... Great.

CB's don't grow on trees. Maguire cost 80m and Ben White and Ake cost 50m. Yet you guys want us to buy 2 new CBs while also letting have the squad walk for free....
Good one.

Jericho

I haven’t seen much of White but as for the other two I would say those calibre of CBs pretty much do grow on trees.

Sviken

You're taking the piss trying to compare VDB and even Lingard to Jones. And on no perspective does it make sense to have given him a contract. And who are you going to sell him to anyway? I'd love to see the clubs clamoring to sign Jones. If we didn't gifted him that contract, his career would have been over. Scratch that, it's been over for a long time, but at least he's getting paid.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Seeing how injury prone baily is we might be looking at his first start in almost 2 years

Looking at the quality of opposition he would need to be on his game just in case that is
(Unless we go for 3 at the back)

VanDeBank

Ma’am
You're taking the piss trying to compare VDB and even Lingard to Jones. And on no perspective does it make sense to have given him a contract. And who are you going to sell him to anyway? I'd love to see the clubs clamoring to sign Jones. If we didn't gifted him that contract, his career would have been over. Scratch that, it's been over for a long time, but at least he's getting paid.
Donny and Lingard are also squad players for their respective NTs. Both are likely not good enough to be a nailed on MU starter. I don't see how the comparison is unfair, except for that Jones was injury prone. So would you not have given Bailly a new contract, just let him walk for free then?

It’s amazing how many people keep saying this nonsense.

he was given a contract when he was a playing member of the first team and also in the England squad. So are you going to release him then? I think not. Common sense. if he doesn’t suit the team anymore you then sell or loan.

he then got his career threatening injury and couldn’t train or play for 18 months which brings us up to current state where he’s trying to get peak fitness.
13 clubs have enquired about him for January! Whether he’s fit enough is a different note. Id be tempted to loan out to get games into him

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
According to @golden_blunder Jones could fetch fee in region of 20 mil or more, although United've sold only 5 players for that sum in the last 10 years.

We've sold Hernadez, Blind Smalling etc. for less than 20 mil, yet it's Jones who would go for that kind of sum, can't wait for bidding war to start! :drool:

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Good one.
See my post above. Yes, good, injury prone players can be sold and Jones was just that at the time of giving him a contract.

According to @golden_blunder Jones could fetch fee in region of 20 mil or more, although United've sold only 5 players for that sum in the last 10 years.

We've sold Hernadez, Blind Smalling etc. for less than 20 mil, yet it's Jones who would go for that kind of sum, can't wait for bidding war to start! :drool:
He's clearly wrong on that one. No one is buying Jones after his injury, it'll be a loan + buy option at best, but I think he'll just walk for free or be released. Before his injury, hell yeah he could've been ~20m. We sold Smalling to an Italian club which drops the price, and he was 3 years older than Phil. It's also about what the player wants.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
See my post above. Yes, good, injury prone players can be sold and Jones was just that at the time of giving him a contract.

He's clearly wrong on that one. No one is buying Jones after his injury, it'll be a loan + buy option at best, but I think he'll just walk for free or be released. Before his injury, hell yeah he could've been ~20m. We sold Smalling to an Italian club which drops the price, and he was 3 years older than Phil. It's also about what the player wants.
I can understand reason for giving him new contract- but not 4 years long and not for the reported salary when he was average/injury prone/mistake in waiting CB even before this big injury which makes me think that no one would pay 20 mil even before all that followed.

It's such a shame he never progressed into a great player, which he should've since he was really talented. Hope he manages to put injuries aside and find some lesser club to just play football, for something more it's far too late.

Red00012

Considering Maguire is banned and Varane injured, who else is there for the bench?
He could go with Telles ,Dalot on the bench and leave Jones out and one of Shaw and McTominay could fill in if Lindelof and Bailly get injured

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I can understand reason for giving him new contract- but not 4 years long and not for the reported salary when he was average/injury prone/mistake in waiting CB even before this big injury which makes me think that no one would pay 20 mil even before all that followed.

It's such a shame he never progressed into a great player, which he should've since he was really talented. Hope he manages to put injuries aside and find some lesser club to just play football, for something more it's far too late.
His reported salary of 75k/w is absolute peanuts. Clearly we took his injury history into account.

Only Dalot, McTominay and Mengi are reportedly on less than him. 4 years is a fine duration for a 26y old.

The only universe in which it didn't make sense to give Jones a contract of that size and duration is one where we could look into the future and predict his career threatening injury.

wolvored

If we only have 2 CB for Chelsea then obviously we need him on the bench. Havent we got any in the youth setup, who could step up as well?
As for the future then Jones needs to be told if he can find a club to have him he can go on a free in January, but his contract will be nulled. We dont want to be supplementing his wages for someone else. Hopefully a club like newcastle might go for it.

wolvored

His reported salary of 75k/w is absolute peanuts. Clearly we took his injury history into account.

Only Dalot, McTominay and Mengi are reportedly on less than him. 4 years is a fine duration for a 26y old.

The only universe in which it didn't make sense to give Jones a contract of that size and duration is one where we could look into the future and predict his career threatening injury.
So £20 mill contract in wages is peanuts for a player who has probably been injury prone for the vast majority of it?
At the time when they renewed they should have given him a 1 year rolling contract dependant on how many games he can stay fit for. He would have accepted as no one else would have offered the same amount of money we were paying him.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Well that's a comment for the hyper-normalisation thread. :lol:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

He would it go for it now because of his last injury but at his peak when in the England squad I don’t see why we could achieve close to 20m. He was only 27.

golden_blunder

Staff
So £20 mill contract in wages is peanuts for a player who has probably been injury prone for the vast majority of it?
At the time when they renewed they should have given him a 1 year rolling contract dependant on how many games he can stay fit for. He would have accepted as no one else would have offered the same amount of money we were paying him.
I don’t see why, he was in our first team pool and in the England squad at the time he was renewed. Don’t confuse then with now

golden_blunder

Staff

I didn’t say after this injury

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Reading some of the comments it would seem like Jones was at the peak of his powers when we renewed his contract, while he was already on downturn trajectory and far from ever becoming good player for United.

His first 2 season looked promising, but once SAF was gone he never looked anything close to that spell and was going backwards with his development.

He would sign whatever United put on the table, but we've decided to give him 4y contract paying him to stay alive and exist since there's nothing else he would contribute to United otherwise.

Smores

I don’t see why, he was in our first team pool and in the England squad at the time he was renewed. Don’t confuse then with now
You say that as if their were no reason to doubt it at the time. From memory all the pundits said it was daft, it isn't hindsight to question it.

He was available for less than half the games the 3 seasons prior and he wasn't looking a starter anyway.

The length of that contract was a joke decision and that's coming from someone who rated Phil highly once.

Status
Not open for further replies.