Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Long serving?

Only in keeping the medical bed warm for others if needed.

Guys played like 2 meanigful games in 4 years.

Guy needs to be gone.
Not his fault he's been injured. I don't get the hatred for him, but I guess it's par for the course.
Just wish him well on his way, no need to aim a volley of abuse at him for having the temerity to get injured.

AndySmith1990

Not his fault he's been injured. I don't get the hatred for him, but I guess it's par for the course.
Just wish him well on his way, no need to aim a volley of abuse at him for having the temerity to get injured.
It's not Uniteds fault he's jury prone either. We don't owe him a living. He should've been sold before the last contract extension.

Red Star One

I think it’s possible to, at the same time:
1. Wish Phill the best in the future
2. Agree he’s been a terrible signing for us and the sooner he’s of the books, the better
3. Be infuriated by completely mental decisions by management that offered him new contracts

Then again, I wonder if all this talk “he’s been a great servant for the club and doesn’t deserve such harsh criticism” would be any different if he wasn’t signed by Sir Alex and English.

Corridor of Uncertainty

Didn't he refuse to go to Bordeaux on loan in January because they wouldn't make him a guaranteed starter every week? :lol:

Yeah, I wonder why people have a problem with him? He'd rather sit on the bench collecting his money than get some game time under his belt and get his career back on track.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Weird response. It's nothing to do with "class" to want to get a waste of space off the books.
True.

But the "class" part is obviously about how you phrased it.

You could have just said that you think it would be better for all parties if Jones went somewhere else. Saying that you can't wait for him to feck off may be just your way of phrasing that exact sentiment - but it certainly doesn't come across as classy.

Revaulx

Yes because there's no middle ground between offering him a bumper new deal and screaming at him to feck off.

Like many fans, I wish a longserving, but sadly injury-blighted, player well and hope he can rebuild his career somewhere.
Long serving?

Only in keeping the medical bed warm for others if needed.

Guys played like 2 meanigful games in 4 years.

Guy needs to be gone.
You're both right :)

He's really done nothing to deserve abuse, but renewing his contract in 2019 was stupendously idiotic even by United standards.

Jippy

Staff
Didn't he refuse to go to Bordeaux on loan in January because they wouldn't make him a guaranteed starter every week? :lol:

Yeah, I wonder why people have a problem with him? He'd rather sit on the bench collecting his money than get some game time under his belt and get his career back on track.
Is that even true though? Someone else is adamant he won't leave because he knows 'his body will break down' if he's asked to be a regular starter. It clearly indicates a lot of people are spouting bollocks and have no idea about his real injury and contract history and situation.

Redlyn

Yes because there's no middle ground between offering him a bumper new deal and screaming at him to feck off.

Like many fans, I wish a longserving, but sadly injury-blighted, player well and hope he can rebuild his career somewhere.
The reason why I used that specific tone was in the direct aftermath of him turning down the loan move. I am allowed to be annoyed.

I do wish him well. And still wish him to feck off in the nicest way possible. Over 10 years of mostly free salary. He is not going to leave in the summer either is he. We are a circus.

Jippy

Staff
The reason why I used that specific tone was in the direct aftermath of him turning down the loan move. I am allowed to be annoyed.

I do wish him well. And still wish him to feck off in the nicest way possible. Over 10 years of mostly free salary. He is not going to leave in the summer either is he. We are a circus.
Maybe he doesn't want the loan move cos he wants to honour his contract at United?

Redlyn

Maybe he doesn't want the loan move cos he wants to honour his contract at United?
It's a loan. It doesn't affect his contract.
That club could have subsided his paycheck. Of course prefers to sit on our bench and collect his free pay check rather than go and have to prove himself somewhere else.

Foxbatt

I would not mind seeing him in midfield sometimes instead of McTominay. Jones will give everything but I guess the club is scared that he may break down again.

Gandalf

Bordeaux wanted him on loan for 6 months as a backup option.
Ralf told him he would be a backup for us.
Given a choice between being a bench option here with a team he knows or leaving his family and his home to spend 6 months on a bench in France it is hardly surprising he said no. He was interested in a move that would see him starting games but no such offer was made. Bordeaux were not offering him game time to get his career back on track so your rationale for bashing him is false.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
True.

But the "class" part is obviously about how you phrased it.

You could have just said that you think it would be better for all parties if Jones went somewhere else. Saying that you can't wait for him to feck off may be just your way of phrasing that exact sentiment - but it certainly doesn't come across as classy.
But that would be a lie. It wouldn't be better for Jones if he leaves

devilish

Bordeaux wanted him on loan for 6 months as a backup option.
Ralf told him he would be a backup for us.
Given a choice between being a bench option here with a team he knows or leaving his family and his home to spend 6 months on a bench in France it is hardly surprising he said no. He was interested in a move that would see him starting games but no such offer was made. Bordeaux were not offering him game time to get his career back on track so your rationale for bashing him is false.
He had more of a chance to play with them then with us

devilish

Yeah, yeah - nice piece of sophistry.
Jones is on a long term contract with one of the highest salaried football clubs in the world. The club has top quality training facilities and is expected to hire some of the finest staff including physios. Jones has access to them all. So it would be ludicrous to think that we aren't the best option he's got.

devilish

You are going to have to back that statement up with something more than your opinion.
Whom do you think has the best CBs Manchester United or Bordeaux? Imagine yourself as Phil Jones. Whom would you fancy your chances against the likes of Varane, Maguire, Lindelof and co or the likes of Marcelo, Mexer, Baysse and Medioub?

RVN1991

Laughable that he's been around for so long. Good luck to him on his next endeavors but he's done next to nothing in the last half a decade here.

Gandalf

Whom do you think has the best CBs Manchester United or Bordeaux? Whom would you fancy your chances against, the likes of Varane, Maguire, Lindelof and co or the likes of Marcelo, Mexer, Baysse and Medioub?
That is speculative though. Jones asked for assurances over playing time at Bordeaux and got none and was also told he would be involved here so I can understand his choosing not to move. I think Ralf is at fault here as he clearly has no intention of playing him and should have come out and said that during the window. Ralf does have a bit of a track record here already for promising game time and then not delivering.

Redlyn

Jones is on a long term contract with one of the highest salaried football clubs in the world. The club has top quality training facilities and is expected to hire some of the finest staff including physios. Jones has access to them all. So it would be ludicrous to think that we aren't the best option he's got.
Definitely the best and easiest option to comfortably collect his salary with the least effort. It's his full right to take the easy road just as it's the fans full right to want to see the back of him. Works both ways.

Gandalf

Definitely the best and easiest option to comfortably collect his salary with the least effort. It's his full right to take the easy road just as it's the fans full right to want to see the back of him. Works both ways.
Problem he has is that he has no serious offers until he proves his fitness by playing and we refuse to play him. We also have dug in our heels and are demanding a transfer fee for him to leave and we are never in a million years going to get one. He could possibly do more to force the issue but we honestly don't help ourselves, we seems to be the only club in the world that is not only bad at getting rid of deadwood but actively hoards it and refuses to let it leave.

devilish

That is speculative though. Jones asked for assurances over playing time at Bordeaux and got none and was also told he would be involved here so I can understand his choosing not to move. I think Ralf is at fault here as he clearly has no intention of playing him and should have come out and said that during the window. Ralf does have a bit of a track record here already for promising game time and then not delivering.
Well if you think that Phil Jones has more of a chance getting games with us then Bordeaux then be my guest. I disagree on the matter. We've got a 4 time CL winner and WC winner as our CB, the world's most expensive CB in football history whom no one seem to have the cojones to bench, a Swedish international whose way ahead in the pecking order then Jones is and someone who picks nearly as many injuries as Jones does but is clearly the better player. Our defence is far from perfect but its way better then that of Bordeaux.

In my opinion Jones will stay here till the end of his contract. I don't blame him for that. The guy knows that his football career is finished. He'll never earn the money he is earning at United and if he moves elsewhere then he risks going there on a pay cut + he might risk putting his health at risk. Not many clubs can afford a full time treatment bed warmer so the pressure for Jones to play even if he's not 100% fit will be there. That can be quite dangerous. For example Batistuta still walk with a limp because of the many injuries he endured.

Regarding Rangnick, there's absolutely nothing to gain in humiliating a player who had become part of the furniture especially since he probably got no intention in leaving (read previous paragraph). What would probably happen is that he risks a revolt in the dressing room. Finally I think that you're confusing Ralf with Ole. Ralf gets rid of players he doesn't horde them.

PS:. I blame the idiots who gave him that long contract to sign when it was evident that the guy is finished.

AdNani

Brandon Williams said he didn't want to come back to united if it meant he was going to sit on the bench every week, to which someone on here posted

'He can feck off, another billy big balls who's achieved nothing in the game'

footballers really can't win.

devilish

Brandon Williams said he didn't want to come back to united if it meant he was going to sit on the bench every week, to which someone on here posted

'He can feck off, another billy big balls who's achieved nothing in the game'

footballers really can't win.
I certainly don't blame him for that. He's a young player and should be playing regular football. Else he won't develop.

Gandalf

Well if you think that Phil Jones has more of a chance getting games with us then Bordeaux then be my guest. I disagree on the matter. We've got a 4 time CL winner and WC winner as our CB, the world's most expensive CB in football history whom no one seem to have the cojones to bench, a Swedish international whose way ahead in the pecking order then Jones is and someone who picks nearly as many injuries as Jones does but is clearly the better player. Our defence is far from perfect but its way better then that of Bordeaux.

In my opinion Jones will stay here till the end of his contract. I don't blame him for that. The guy knows that his football career is finished. He'll never earn the money he is earning at United and if he moves elsewhere then he risks going there on a pay cut + he might risk putting his health at risk. Not many clubs can afford a full time treatment bed warmer so the pressure for Jones to play even if he's not 100% fit will be there. I don't even blame Jones for that. I blame the idiots who gave him that long contract to sign when it was evident that the guy is finished.

Regarding Rangnick, there's absolutely nothing to gain in humiliating a player who had become part of the furniture especially since he probably got no intention in leaving (read previous paragraph). What would probably happen is that he risks a revolt in the dressing room. Finally I think that you're confusing Ralf with Ole. Ralf gets rid of players he doesn't horde them.
Agree with most of that but re the bolded. Not so much about keeping or getting rid but just in general terms around playing time Ralf has now on a few occasions said one thing and then not followed through. Specifically in January there was talk about Hannibal getting a loan on his return from the AFCON as he had clearly outgrown the U23s and Ralf stated this would not happen as he planned to use him in the first team. It is now April, he has been on the bench but not played a single minute and is basically wasting a critical 6 month period of his development just so Ralf can give charity minutes to Lingard and Mata.

AdNani

I certainly don't blame him for that. He's a young player and should be playing regular football. Else he won't develop.
agreed, just funny that fans will hate someone for being happy to sit on the bench and collect wages while not playing, but also hate them for not wanting to do that.

Jericho

I don't think we can sell him because he's not actually worth anything. That's not a dig at him personally or football ability, he just doesn't offer a return on investment due to his injuries. In 11 seasons he's only averaged 20.5 appearances per season, and if you only count the last 8 years it's been 15 appearances per season. And it's getting worse.

He's obviously going to see out his final year here and then probably go on a similar journey to Jack Wilshere.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'm not arguing against the (utterly idiotic in this context) idea that his "best option" is to stay in terms of money and facilities.

Do you think that he would prefer to remain at United without playing (but earning more than he would at another club and having access to "top quality training facilities")?

(Why would he give a feck about "top quality training facilities", by the way?).

Redlyn

agreed, just funny that fans will hate someone for being happy to sit on the bench and collect wages while not playing, but also hate them for not wanting to do that.
To be fair, that was ONE random comment that pretty much everyone disagreed with. There is no single point view that will be unanimous. Generally, fans respect ambition. Williams is showing it but is Jones.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

I don't think we can sell him because he's not actually worth anything. That's not a dig at him personally or football ability, he just doesn't offer a return on investment due to his injuries. In 11 seasons he's only averaged 20.5 appearances per season, and if you only count the last 8 years it's been 15 appearances per season. And it's getting worse.

He's obviously going to see out his final year here and then probably go on a similar journey to Jack Wilshere.
That is exactly why some clubs do free transfers. To get them off the book and not pay any salary. If United says Jones can go on a free transfer there would be clubs who would offer him a place. Yes not at United's wages but decent wage. He is a decent player and in fact a good player when fit. Ralf should let him play in midfield in a game to see what he can do. I am sure he would try a lot harder than McTominay. Jones never hides.