Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
This thread is so depressing. He was an extremely talented youngster who must have had realistic dreams of a stellar career. Now it’s been absolutely wrecked by injury but he obviously still wants to prove he’s good enough for Manchester United (even if only to himself). Which is his prerogative. Anyone who could watch him leave the pitch in tears last season and still shit on the guy needs to take a long hard look at themself.
We have wankers amongst our fans

phelans shorts

It’s not a new thing, ledley king had his own regime to keep his knees from falling apart. Paul McGrath didn’t train much for same reason
It’s been very normal for 30 years and some Galaxy brains are using it to attack us. Van Persie was spoken at length about the special regimes he had for us under Ferguson and how that was ripped up under Moyes and his availability just stopped.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
re the bolded. That's not what we're discussing. We were talking about firing him/terminating his contract. Scroll up.
So why mentioning Van Ginkel? Did Chelsea give him a 4 year contract top up on his contract after they learnt that he was injury prone? Cause that what we did with Phil Jones.

And yes contracts can be terminated. We only have to give him his salary by advance. Such action make sense if his presence is toxic either directly or indirectly (for example by instilling an aura of complacency within the club when one can do jack shit and still get long term contracts). Most of the time it doesn't end up that way. Players either leave on mutual consent or they stick around up until the end of the contract. However I can't think of a club who was stupid enough to give an injury prone player whose career was going nowhere a 4 year contract top up.

devilish

This sentiment is fine, and I have no real issue with Jones, or indeed the footballer that he was when he was actually fit, but he has no business being at the club right here and now in 2022.

If he is still here come September then there is something seriously wrong all round.
Jones will probably remain here because this is his last big contract with a club. Its not his fault that we're so stupid to handle it to him

Gandalf

However I can't think of a club who was stupid enough to give an injury prone player whose career was going nowhere a 4 year contract top up.
He negotiated the contact after the 2018 world cup in which he played a key role in the England team that made it to the semi final. Hind sight is a wonderful thing but the continued false narrative that he got his extension when he was physically broken is a flat out lie and makes you look significantly dumber than you think you are.

devilish

He negotiated the contact after the 2018 world cup in which he played a key role in the England team that made it to the semi final. Hind sight is a wonderful thing but the continued false narrative that he got his extension when he was physically broken is a flat out lie and makes you look significantly dumber than you think you are.
Phil Jones played 2 games in the 2018 world cup. He didn't really cover himself in glory considering that England lost in both games. Anyway that has nothing to do with his contract renewal since he signed a new contract in February 2019. Here's the link to prove so.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/phil-jones-signs-new-contract-with-manchester-united

and redcafe thread on the matter

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/phil-jones-signs-a-new-contract.444906/

During the 2019-2020 Jones played 2 EPL first team appearances. Prior to that he played 18 first team EPL appearances. Meanwhile this is his injury list up that time

18/19Hamstring InjuryAug 6, 2018Aug 25, 201819 days2
17/18Hamstring InjuryFeb 15, 2018Apr 10, 201854 days9
17/18Hamstring InjuryNov 13, 2017Nov 30, 201717 days4
16/17Toe InjuryMar 20, 2017May 4, 201745 days10
16/17Knee InjurySep 5, 2016Nov 3, 201659 days13
15/16Ankle InjuryFeb 8, 2016Apr 4, 201656 days12
15/16Sprained AnkleJan 4, 2016Feb 3, 201630 days6
15/16Sprained AnkleNov 23, 2015Dec 10, 201517 days4
15/16Venous occlusionAug 6, 2015Sep 24, 201549 days10
14/15Ankle InjuryApr 13, 2015Apr 30, 201517 days2
14/15Shinbone injuryOct 23, 2014Dec 11, 201449 days7

14/15Hamstring InjurySep 8, 2014Oct 6, 201428 days4
13/14Shoulder InjuryMay 5, 2014Jun 23, 201449 days2
13/14ConcussionFeb 17, 2014Mar 6, 201417 days2
13/14Knee InjuryDec 26, 2013Jan 6, 201411 days4
12/13Ankle InjuryFeb 18, 2013Apr 1, 201342 days8
12/13Knee InjurySep 10, 2012Nov 8, 201259 days13
12/13Back InjuryAug 6, 2012Sep 6, 201231 days3

Its evident that the guy was injury prone

So please tell me how that justify a 4 year contract top up?

Last edited:

cj_sparky

It’s not a new thing, ledley king had his own regime to keep his knees from falling apart. Paul McGrath didn’t train much for same reason
Phil Jones has no meniscus in his knee, every impact is bone crunching on bone and he had surgery that drilled tiny holes in the joint to force the body to heel itself. It's impressive he can train at all really.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
So why mentioning Van Ginkel? Did Chelsea give him a 4 year contract top up on his contract after they learnt that he was injury prone? Cause that what we did with Phil Jones.

And yes contracts can be terminated. We only have to give him his salary by advance. Such action make sense if his presence is toxic either directly or indirectly (for example by instilling an aura of complacency within the club when one can do jack shit and still get long term contracts). Most of the time it doesn't end up that way. Players either leave on mutual consent or they stick around up until the end of the contract. However I can't think of a club who was stupid enough to give an injury prone player whose career was going nowhere a 4 year contract top up.
And btw, Van Ginkel at Chelsea had a similar disastrous injury spells at Chelsea and was given a one year extension after his contract had run out. So this idea that having an injured player on the books or something is "exemplary of the current state of Man Utd", which I've seen mentioned a lot here in this thread, is silly.
What does "btw" mean? And as you later went on to say, you clearly hold the opinion I argued against. The 2 topics, terminating Jones' contract and thinking he's "exemplary of the current state of Utd" are obviously closely related.

devilish

What does "btw" mean? And as you later went on to say, you clearly hold the opinion I argued against. The 2 topics, terminating Jones' contract and thinking he's "exemplary of the current state of Utd" are obviously closely related.
So you agree that it was a 1 year extension not a stupid 4 year extension as we did.

Let me clarify this matter. I don't blame Jones for our current state of affairs. Anyone in his conditions would be stupid to refuse such moronic contract. I blame United for giving such contract and I believe that this stupid contract is the living embodiment of what's wrong with United. We basically enforced the idea that players can get away with almost anything with United including not being available for years. Giving the circumstances I wonder if paying Jones the rest of his contract to leave is a good idea. It would give the impression that this new United had finally turned a new page and is now refusing to let guys whose not pulling a shift to wear the iconic red shirt.

Last edited:

Bigfoot2

The guy is a train wreck which is not his fault. Utd were nuts to give him any sort of contract and who can blame him for seeing it out. He's getting decent money for being medically pampered and not having to work for a living. His current injury has lasted a mere 454 days and 78 games. I expect he won't have to work for a living ever again thanks to United's generosity.
Once again, that's not his fault.

Last edited:

wolvored

He ought to have been given a one year contract in 2018, with the proviso if he was fit and able to play for x% of the time this would role on to another season etc. You have to blame the club for the stupidity of the contract and anybody in Jones position would have signed that 5 year contract.

??? :houllier:

He played one game, the only game we lost until the semi final.

Then he played in the third place play off and was a big reason for us losing that too.

That should have been the last nail in the coffin not the redemption.

Mercurial

Phil Jones has no meniscus in his knee, every impact is bone crunching on bone and he had surgery that drilled tiny holes in the joint to force the body to heel itself. It's impressive he can train at all really.
How daft it was then to renew knowing this all else aside.....

devilish

How daft it was then to renew knowing this all else aside.....
but but but he was called for the WC of 2018. Sure his call was considered hilarious at the time, he played 2 games with England both ended in defeat (and Jones did a Jones in the second game) and he actually signed his contract in February 2019 but what the heck.

Longshanks

but but but he was called for the WC of 2018. Sure his call was considered hilarious at the time, he played 2 games with England both ended in defeat (and Jones did a Jones in the second game) and he actually signed his contract in February 2019 but what the heck.
He was a regular starter under mourinho in 17/18 including starting the FA Cup final, so his call up to the England World Cup squad wasn't hilarious is was very much expected.

Other than a couple of hamstring Injuries he was largely injury free in 17/18 aswell.

He then made 25 appearances in the 18/19 season aswell.

So when his contract was extended he was very much first team regular, now don't get me wrong a new 4 year deal for an injury prone player wasn't exactly the brightest move but he then got a very serious knee injury which kept him out for a long, long time. Even with his injury record you couldn't have predicted that.

Everything is easy hindsight but let's not re-write history and make out we extened the contract of a player who wasn't a first team player and was out with a serious injury.

devilish

He was a regular starter under mourinho in 17/18 including starting the FA Cup final, so his call up to the England World Cup squad wasn't hilarious is was very much expected.

Other than a couple of hamstring Injuries he was largely injury free in 17/18 aswell.

He then made 25 appearances in the 18/19 season aswell.

So when his contract was extended he was very much first team regular, now don't get me wrong a new 4 year deal for an injury prone player wasn't exactly the brightest move but he then got a very serious knee injury which kept him out for a long, long time. Even with his injury record you couldn't have predicted that.

Everything is easy hindsight but let's not re-write history and make out we extened the contract of a player who wasn't a first team player and was out with a serious injury.
Back in the day everyone was shocked that he was preferred to Smalling who was clearly the better player. His performance during the WC of 2018 was very jonesque as well. Hazard's goal is a typical example to that

Also note that Jones already had an injury record as long as an arm.

Pickle85

Even reading this made me wince. Ouch.

AndySmith1990

It was time for him to leave half a decade ago. Now it's simply a running joke that he's still hanging around. If there's any interest at all we should give him away and free up that wage for someone who will actually be useful and available when needed

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
This thread is so depressing. He was an extremely talented youngster who must have had realistic dreams of a stellar career. Now it’s been absolutely wrecked by injury but he obviously still wants to prove he’s good enough for Manchester United (even if only to himself). Which is his prerogative. Anyone who could watch him leave the pitch in tears last season and still shit on the guy needs to take a long hard look at themself.
I can't believe anyone would come here and try guilt tripping posters, One of the reason we've not progressed as a club is partly because we feel the need of calling ourselves righteous, having said that in the last couple of year clubs that have actually won things are far more ruthless in letting player know when they aren't doing what they are paid truckload of money for, if they can't be sold they are sent to reserves I.e Drinkwater, Bakayoko etc.

It's time the club went back to being ruthless again, too many players come here to live off the clubs past glory, this has to stop, how can that be done by kicking anyone out who isn't contributing.

Lightbringer

I love Phil, he has more heart than 99% of our players, sadly his body could not keep up. Stop hating on Phil!

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I can't believe anyone would come here and try guilt tripping posters, One of the reason we've not progressed as a club is partly because we feel the need of calling ourselves righteous, having said that in the last couple of year clubs that have actually won things are far more ruthless in letting player know when they aren't doing what they are paid truckload of money for, if they can't be sold they are sent to reserves I.e Drinkwater, Bakayoko etc.

It's time the club went back to being ruthless again, too many players come here to live off the clubs past glory, this has to stop, how can that be done by kicking anyone out who isn't contributing.
Clubs that won have stuff, like Chelsea? Actually gave a injury ridden player a 1 year deal out of sympathy, but OK. I'm sure that's the reason why they're not as successful as City.

Imagine Kante seeing an injured player rehab at his club and thinking "if he gets paid without effort, why should I", instead of "good for him, I appreciate the club taking care of him".

Honestly if people think not firing Jones is part of the reason why we're not successful they are fecking delusional.

AndySmith1990

Clubs that won have stuff, like Chelsea? Actually gave a injury ridden player a 1 year deal out of sympathy, but OK. I'm sure that's the reason why they're not as successful as City.

Imagine Kante seeing an injured player rehab at his club and thinking "if he gets paid without effort, why should I", instead of "good for him, I appreciate the club taking care of him".

Honestly if people think not firing Jones is part of the reason why we're not successful they are fecking delusional.
There's a big difference between supporting a player for a year or two and allowing an injury ridden player to hang around for over 10 years. How can anyone possibly argue its not a bad thing that he's still here after all this time? It's nothing but further evidence that the club has been severely mismanaged by Woodward

VanDeBank

Ma’am
There's a big difference between supporting a player for a year or two and allowing an injury ridden player to hang around for over 10 years. How can anyone possibly argue its not a bad thing that he's still here after all this time? It's nothing but further evidence that the club has been severely mismanaged by Woodward
Anyone that lives in reality. Yes his contract extension was too long, but saying he should be fired when there's no evidence he's a bad influence on the team (on the contrary, I'd say) is mental.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

You have a point but I don't think it applies to Phil Jones. He's always tried hard whenever fit, which admittedly is rarely. Same with Juan Mata.

Our problem has more has been the amount of first team players we've signed who aren't totally committed, or who give up once they get to a point they're happy with themselves. We've had too of these types of players over recent years and it's bogged us down. Di Maria, Sanchez, Pogba, Lingard, Schweinsteiger, Cavani (this year), Falcao, Martial, Memphis, Valdes, etc.

I'd like to see us be more ruthless to newer players who clearly aren't good (a la Chelsea and Bakayoko). Remember when we shipped out Tosic after a year?

I'm sure if we had a functioning team + Phil Jones then I'm sure wouldn't be a massive problem. Anderson was here for 7 years, most of which was a successful period for the club.

AndySmith1990

You have a point but I don't think it applies to Phil Jones. He's always tried hard whenever fit, which admittedly is rarely. Same with Juan Mata.

Our problem has more has been the amount of first team players we've signed who aren't totally committed, or who give up once they get to a point they're happy with themselves. We've had too of these types of players over recent years and it's bogged us down. Di Maria, Sanchez, Pogba, Lingard, Schweinsteiger, Cavani (this year), Falcao, Martial, Memphis, Valdes, etc.

I'd like to see us be more ruthless to newer players who clearly aren't good (a la Chelsea and Bakayoko). Remember when we shipped out Tosic after a year?

I'm sure if we had a functioning team + Phil Jones then I'm sure wouldn't be a massive problem. Anderson was here for 7 years, most of which was a successful period for the club.
But Anderson was kept for far too long as well. He became nothing more than an overpaid mascot. If we had replaced him at the correct time we wouldn't have had such a weak and aging team after Ferguson retired, and that goes for others like Giggs and Scholes who we relied on for too long. We just don't operate like a serious club quite frankly. You'd never find Real, Bayern etc. handing out contracts to players with no value/who don't offer anything to the team, or waiting for their entire midfield to grow old before looking to replace it. There's a very apparent lack of foresight and planning at the club which has caused these issues to manifest, and Jones is an ever-present example of that

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
But Anderson was kept for far too long as well. He became nothing more than an overpaid mascot. If we had replaced him at the correct time we wouldn't have had such a weak and aging team after Ferguson retired, and that goes for others like Giggs and Scholes who we relied on for too long. We just don't operate like a serious club quite frankly. You'd never find Real, Bayern etc. handing out contracts to players with no value/who don't offer anything to the team, or waiting for their entire midfield to grow old before looking to replace it. There's a very apparent lack of foresight and planning at the club which has caused these issues to manifest, and Jones is an ever-present example of that
Well yeah I can't argue with that :lol:

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Anyone that lives in reality. Yes his contract extension was too long, but saying he should be fired when there's no evidence he's a bad influence on the team (on the contrary, I'd say) is mental.
How would you know that him being paid for being injured all the time has not effected other lazy cnuts at the club, who would look at him and Go "Phil is always in the treatment table, I can fake an injury during a match at the home of our greatest rivals and the club would still pay me wages"

VanDeBank

Ma’am
How would know him being paid for being injured all the time has not effected other lazy cnuts at the club, who would you look at him and Go "Phil is always in the treatment table, I can fake an injury during a match at the home of our greatest rivals and the club would still pay me wages"
Oh I agree, other players are definitely wishing they wouldn't have a meniscus so they wouldn't have to work so hard for the duration of their contract.

golden_blunder

Staff
Firing him would be illegal in the U.K. you can’t fire someone for getting injured.

golden_blunder

Staff
Funny that’s what Madrid did before addressing it this summer

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
This sentiment is fine, and I have no real issue with Jones, or indeed the footballer that he was when he was actually fit, but he has no business being at the club right here and now in 2022.

If he is still here come September then there is something seriously wrong all round.
He will. Nobody will want him with his wages and injury record, and we're not going to tear up his contract. So he'll hang around for his final year before probably retiring at the end of the season.

Whether he actually ends up being registered as a first team player remains to be seen, though.

AndySmith1990

Funny that’s what Madrid did before addressing it this summer
Real Madrid keep players who contribute and align with their aspirations to be successful, and remove/upgrade those who aren't, hence why they've dominated the CL. They would never, ever keep a player like Phil Jones at the club for over a decade

golden_blunder

Staff
Real Madrid keep players who contribute and align with their aspirations to be successful, and remove/upgrade those who aren't, hence why they've dominated the CL. They would never, ever keep a player like Phil Jones at the club for over a decade
Well no but it hasn’t been a black and white case with Jones has it?
anyway I hope that he finds someone else to play for next season.

R'hllor

Dunno what people want, we had a chance to clear that table, instead he got contract extension, now throwing blame because he still there, where you want him to be. He is untouchable.

redcucumber

Jesus Christ, talk about false narratives and other people outing themselves as being dumb :lol:. Incredible.