Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

Real Name

So he's observing academy sessions.
Wouldn't see this at any other top club.

Jobs for the boys FC.

Maticmaker

I have a soft spot for Jones, but let’s be realistic, Woodward fecked up by offering a contract renewal and him surviving so many managers was mainly down to him being injured which made any transfer impossible.
His contract was renewed at least twice, during his career at United. I suspect United kept him on for other reasons, just as they are bringing him back now it's the man they appreciate, his dedication to the club and to keep going no matter what the odds. He was not the brightest nor talented of players, but if you want someone beside you in the trenches it was Phil Jones.

AB_89

So he's observing academy sessions.
Wouldn't see this at any other top club.

Jobs for the boys FC.
This is nonsense.

The majority of clubs invite ex players to start their coaching careers with them, usually through the various youth teams. This happens at every level of football including top clubs.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Meh, he's starting his potential coaching career with us. I don't see the negative about this. If he's not qualified or good enough, he'll get found out soon.

Teja

We're just a glorified trust fund for all our ex-players, managers, the Glazer kids, board of directors etc. etc.

Real Name

We're just a glorified trust fund for all our ex-players, managers, the Glazer kids, board of directors etc. etc.
True. We're an embarrasment and a laughing stock of a football world at the moment.

Well, if he doesn’t have coaching qualifications, then he cannot be a coach. A no-brainer. But no idea what he’s doing then. Our club’s incompetence strikes again.
Agree. He's probably paid 500k a week just to stand by the fence and watch.

Dozer

So many emotional, irrational responses to a bloke just wanting to get on with the next phase of his life, and his employer of more than a decade saying “We can help you”.
How scandalous.

Reactions: Jippy

rooneyberbatov

So many emotional, irrational responses to a bloke just wanting to get on with the next phase of his life, and his employer of more than a decade saying “We can help you”.
How scandalous.
I’m more than happy with Jones joining the club if he’s qualified. But the statement says absolutely nothing. What does he do? Is he being paid? Does he pay the club? What’s the goal in here? It’s the lack of transparency that makes this whole thing a bit ridiculous.

Revaulx

True. We're an embarrasment and a laughing stock of a football world at the moment.

Agree. He's probably paid 500k a week just to stand by the fence and watch.
Assume you’re on the wind-up ;)

I think the “embarrassing” brigade might have had a point in the Woodward era, when decisions seemed to have been made to appeal to sentimental fans of a certain age. While I’m not convinced there’s been much of an improvement in the overall decision making since his departure, it’s pretty obvious that’s no longer happening. If Jones does get offered a coaching job, it’ll be because he’s impressed those in charge of the U18s; he won’t be foisted on them by the club hierarchy.

Real Name

Assume you’re on the wind-up ;)

I think the “embarrassing” brigade might have had a point in the Woodward era, when decisions seemed to have been made to appeal to sentimental fans of a certain age. While I’m not convinced there’s been much of an improvement in the overall decision making since his departure, it’s pretty obvious that’s no longer happening. If Jones does get offered a coaching job, it’ll be because he’s impressed those in charge of the U18s; he won’t be foisted on them by the club hierarchy.
That's all well and good but tell me why did Fletcher get promoted 2 times in 6 months then?

heh

Rockets Redglare

Kids of the present know Phil Jones as only a meme. They would hardly be interested in his wealth of knowledge, even if Phil is good at it.
Well why would any player listen to Mourinho, Klopp or Wenger? Three world class managers who all played at a much lower level than the players they coached.

A top coach will command respect no matter what experience they have as a player.

Teja

How scandalous.
Evans / Jones / Fletcher / Arnold / Woodward (previously) / Glazer kids. I probably forgot a few.

None of them were there due to how good they are at their role. Alright maybe I can give Arnold a pass, but is he literally the best CEO Man Utd can have? This isn't how you run a serious business.

Dozer

I’m more than happy with Jones joining the club if he’s qualified. But the statement says absolutely nothing. What does he do? Is he being paid? Does he pay the club? What’s the goal in here? It’s the lack of transparency that makes this whole thing a bit ridiculous.

What statement? It only says nothing because there hasn’t been one… because it’s a former player observing some sessions. Hardly newsworthy, detrimental to the club, nor deserving of the responses it’s getting here.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Wonder how close to being a circle the venn diagram of people opposed to Phil Jones observing some youth training sessions and people claiming the club should keep Greenwood because of its duty of care to him is.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
What a strange thing to be so angry about.

BelfastRed2021

Id say hes actually the new academy pyshio hes bound to no alot about muscle injuries etc since he spent 10 years on a treatment table im suprised they dont use his face as the cover for pyshio room website

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
This club needs involvement of our former players in key roles. The lack of them in all levels at the club is one of the main reasons we are in this current state.

Non - football people have managed to turn us against footballers. If he is good enough and qualified to be a coach at Utd U18, he should be given the job. We really need to go back to being a football club and stop being a catwalk.

How is this even an issue or warrant the daft reactions.

tomaldinho1

Wonder how close to being a circle the venn diagram of people opposed to Phil Jones observing some youth training sessions and people claiming the club should keep Greenwood because of its duty of care to him is.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Meh, he's starting his potential coaching career with us. I don't see the negative about this. If he's not qualified or good enough, he'll get found out soon.
Based on what? Hardly anyone in this club ever got fired for incompetence except our managers.

Revaulx

What qualifications does he not have to not deserve the title?
Nothing to do with qualifications.

Have you seen his job spec? It’s all to do with transitioning academy players to the first team setup. Which is an important job, and one that I have no doubt he’s good at.

It’s hardly a “technical director” role though. One of those would involve coming up with a style of play and ensuring it’s adhered to throughout the club. As far as I can tell he isn’t doing that. If he had been we would have heard about it.

I believe his role does involve recruitment of young players. Maybe he carries more clout in the eyes of agents and parents by having “Director” in his title.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
How scandalous.
Agreed. Some of our fans are so childish.

I feel sorry for the fella. Should still be playing at a great level. It’s not his fault that his body couldn’t cope.

We should be proud that our ex players are looked after.

roseguy64

Nothing to do with qualifications.

Have you seen his job spec? It’s all to do with transitioning academy players to the first team setup. Which is an important job, and one that I have no doubt he’s good at.

It’s hardly a “technical director” role though. One of those would involve coming up with a style of play and ensuring it’s adhered to throughout the club. As far as I can tell he isn’t doing that. If he had been we would have heard about it.

I believe his role does involve recruitment of young players. Maybe he carries more clout in the eyes of agents and parents by having “Director” in his title.
Oh okay. I get your point now. Maybe a different title for him would have been helpful. Fair.

devil in me

How scandalous.
Bang on. No different to when clubless ex players go back to clubs to train and get fit etc. Perfectly normal, non newsworthy situation.