Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I'm not arguing against the (utterly idiotic in this context) idea that his "best option" is to stay in terms of money and facilities.

Do you think that he would prefer to remain at United without playing (but earning more than he would at another club and having access to "top quality training facilities")?

(Why would he give a feck about "top quality training facilities", by the way?).
You're suggesting that he can return to play regular football. From what we've seen in the past few years there's nothing to suggest its the case. Jones has an injury record as long which is as long an arm. If a top EPL club can't fix him then what makes you think that a smaller side can?

Which leads to the next argument. If he's set to sit on the bench for most of his life then who would he prefer?

A- a team that pays him way more then his worth and who had proven that it would never risk his health to squeeze some game time out of him
B- a new side who'll probably pay him less and might not have the luxury and the patience we've shown with him

I think that the answer to that is pretty much obvious

devilish

agreed, just funny that fans will hate someone for being happy to sit on the bench and collect wages while not playing, but also hate them for not wanting to do that.
Actually I respect Brandon Williams more based on that very statement. It shows a level of maturity and level headedness that is rare in a typical 21 year old. The guy knows what is good for him (ie a certain level of regular football) and is insisting upon it. Its good for him and its good for us.

devilish

Agree with most of that but re the bolded. Not so much about keeping or getting rid but just in general terms around playing time Ralf has now on a few occasions said one thing and then not followed through. Specifically in January there was talk about Hannibal getting a loan on his return from the AFCON as he had clearly outgrown the U23s and Ralf stated this would not happen as he planned to use him in the first team. It is now April, he has been on the bench but not played a single minute and is basically wasting a critical 6 month period of his development just so Ralf can give charity minutes to Lingard and Mata.
that can happen to every manager especially someone who had just stepped into a club and is therefore having to rely on the opinion of third party people. Don't forget that once Rangnick came in, most of Ole's trusted men left leaving a void behind.

Having said that, I very much doubt that anyone would put a convincing argument in favour of Jones. It's evident that the guy has serious issues with injuries.

AdNani

Actually I respect Brandon Williams more based on that very statement. It shows a level of maturity and level headedness that is rare in a typical 21 year old. The guy knows what is good for him (ie a certain level of regular football) and is insisting upon it. Its good for him and its good for us.
which is what i replied to the guy, good attitude for a young player to have, can debate about his ability but he appears to have the right attitude to succeed

Foxbatt

that can happen to every manager especially someone who had just stepped into a club and is therefore having to rely on the opinion of third party people. Don't forget that once Rangnick came in, most of Ole's trusted men left leaving a void behind.

Having said that, I very much doubt that anyone would put a convincing argument in favour of Jones. It's evident that the guy has serious issues with injuries.
He may have but the only time he played under Ralf he played very well. I have not heard of him being injured after that?

Lee565

I really don't understand why he has not been select since his last appearance where he was basically the best player on the pitch and embodied the old united, he has been fit for ages now and should be taking advantage of it, christ I would much rather see him at right back over dalot or bissaka let alone as our 1st choice cb when he is fit or playing ahead of mctominay as our defensive midfielder who actually understands how to play the role and can rely on to leave his all on the pitch and track back every single time.

VivaRonaldo85

Christ, I’d forgotten about him again. He had that one random appearance a few months ago where he actually did well yet hasn’t been seen near a pitch since. What is the actual point.

roseguy64

Problem he has is that he has no serious offers until he proves his fitness by playing and we refuse to play him. We also have dug in our heels and are demanding a transfer fee for him to leave and we are never in a million years going to get one. He could possibly do more to force the issue but we honestly don't help ourselves, we seems to be the only club in the world that is not only bad at getting rid of deadwood but actively hoards it and refuses to let it leave.
He only became fit again in late 2021 after being injured for almost 2 years. His situation is not normal. He'll be either out on loan in the summer, sold or 4th choice backup if the new manager likes him.

roseguy64

Christ, I’d forgotten about him again. He had that one random appearance a few months ago where he actually did well yet hasn’t been seen near a pitch since. What is the actual point.
He also played in the FA Cup game where Utd got knocked out. Came on for Varane after regulation time.

lex talionis

Madness perhaps, but I wouldn’t mind having Jones stay on as a fifth choice CB…unless we’re going to give Tuanzebe or Mengi a proper chance.

The guy needs a period free from injury and then a loan to the championship or lower so he gets regular games. If Rooney is still at Derby he might take a chance on him ( if Derby have a new owner ) and United subsidize his wages which will be essential wherever he goes on loan, certainly up to Xmas and the January transfer window

Hughie77

He's been here a long time played OK, and injured he needs to move on himself, he's got injury free, a few good years somewhere but it's not OT. I bet a club like Norwich Fulham or a top Championship side would take him. He needs to go

wolvored

I really don't understand why he has not been select since his last appearance where he was basically the best player on the pitch and embodied the old united, he has been fit for ages now and should be taking advantage of it, christ I would much rather see him at right back over dalot or bissaka let alone as our 1st choice cb when he is fit or playing ahead of mctominay as our defensive midfielder who actually understands how to play the role and can rely on to leave his all on the pitch and track back every single time.
Maybe not showing it in training. Not putting everything into it in case he gets injured. Could be a multitude of things why he doesn't get picked.

Lee565

Maybe not showing it in training. Not putting everything into it in case he gets injured. Could be a multitude of things why he doesn't get picked.
Well those showing it in training ain't exactly replicating it on match day and to be fair it would be clever to wrap him in cotton wool outside of matches if it keeps him fit and available to start matches, it's what good managers do.

Foxbatt

Well those showing it in training ain't exactly replicating it on match day and to be fair it would be clever to wrap him in cotton wool outside of matches if it keeps him fit and available to start matches, it's what good managers do.
Like SAF did for Rio.

jimmyb2000

This guy simply MUST go in the summer - it would be madness to keep hold of him. He is not of a requisite standard to be a Manchester United player - end of.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Apparently won’t be available in the final game due to injury. Hopefully it’s nothing major and he returns to pre season like a new signing.

Lennon

As hard as it sounds, Rio was absolutely right about him! It is beyond my horizon how this guy got a new contract back then ... I don't care who or how much any club will pay as long he is getting off out wage bill!

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Genuinely can’t see who would risk taking him

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Another season of being 4th or 5th bench choice while hitting his 30s ? It's just not right.

He needs to aim more ambitious... this whole effin team needs to be more ambitious.

TOPREDIAMNOT

Wish I could make £5m a year to keep "un" fit... What a steal of a wage this guy has had. How long does his contract have left? What a STUPID decision it was to give him a 5 year deal. Makes my blood boil. That's how incompetent Ed was at his peak.

No club would buy him He'd struggle to find a decent club on a free. We are simply stuck with him until he ruins his contract down and disappear. It won't make a jot of difference to Utd. Except it's another £15m in wages down the pan. What a joke!

"Another season of being 4th or 5th bench choice while hitting his 30s ? It's just not right.

He needs to aim more ambitious... this whole effin team needs to be more ambitious."

He has probably played it smart from his point of view. He knows no other premier club would want him. No way could he earn £5m a year anywhere else. So he's simply getting ready for retirement. He'll be putting £1.5M+ per annum into long term investments. He'll retire with £15m+, houses, pensions etc...Who is the "un-ambitious one"? I think he has plenty...for his retirement. Been the case since about 2015.

Secretly i think many prem. players laugh at fans and what they say about them. As they buy another "penthouse" and drive around in their £100,000 Range Rover. Living in their 5 acre mansions. Who won? Who has the last laugh?

"where are all the Customers yachts'"?

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
As hard as it sounds, Rio was absolutely right about him! It is beyond my horizon how this guy got a new contract back then ... I don't care who or how much any club will pay as long he is getting off out wage bill!
Jesus this narrative again

hobbers

He got that new contract because he has the same knee problems that Ole had and it was entirely out of sympathy.

golden_blunder

Staff
He got that new contract because he has the same knee problems that Ole had and it was entirely out of sympathy.
He got the contract before this long term injury setback. He was given the contract when he was fit, healthy, playing and in the England squad

dinostar77

Hopefully he can find a club willing to take a chance on him, but i suspect there would be a pay as you play clause in there or a massive bonus for actual match appearances. His injury is awful (youtube it to see just how bad) and he is going to suffer very badly in his old age.

Honestly im suprised he hasn't retired from football. Post match recovery must be excruciating.

Max_United

He got the contract before this long term injury setback. He was given the contract when he was fit, healthy, playing and in the England squad
It was not nearly as bad as it is now, and on pure ability basis i always rated him as a good enough player to be a backup/squad player for us. But at the time he was already an injury prone player in his 8th (!) season with us who failed to live up to lofty expectations and played on average only around 20 league games a season in the previous 7 seasons. Would have had no issues with 2+1 contract (and he would be long gone already), but offering 4+1 did not make any sense at all at the time. The club had much stronger negotiation position than him, I doubt that there were many clubs lining up to offer him higher wages. It is the length of the contract that ultimately made the club look silly, not the fact that we offered an extension.

Withnail

Rio was completely wrong and admitted so later. He bizarrely claimed he didn't know the extent of his injuries when he's been putting himself about as some kind of ITK.

golden_blunder

Staff
It was not nearly as bad as it is now, and on pure ability basis i always rated him as a good enough player to be a backup/squad player for us. But at the time he was already an injury prone player in his 8th (!) season with us who failed to live up to lofty expectations and played on average only around 20 league games a season in the previous 7 seasons. Would have had no issues with 2+1 contract (and he would be long gone already), but offering 4+1 did not make any sense at all at the time. The club had much stronger negotiation position than him, I doubt that there were many clubs lining up to offer him higher wages. It is the length of the contract that ultimately made the club look silly, not the fact that we offered an extension.
I don’t disagree with that, a more realistic contract would have made more sense.
However many fans seem to think he signed when he was out injured when in fact he was perfectly fit and playing

Oranges038

He's never really been fully fit though, even around that time, fully fit would imply he was available almost every week. Ankles, hamstrings, shoulders, there's barely an injury he hasn't had and all these things have a knock on effect. The two seasons before he got his new deal he made just over 20 games. That's not someone who is fully fit.

He's also had this same knee injury problem since he did his meniscus in 2010 while playing for Blackburn against West Ham. It has always been a problem, it was just managed well for the first few years. But, it's gotten progressively worse since he had another knee injury in 2016/2017 season I think it was. The end result being him basically not being able to play for the last 3 or 4 years. He should never have been given a new deal.

Foxbatt

I don’t disagree with that, a more realistic contract would have made more sense.
However many fans seem to think he signed when he was out injured when in fact he was perfectly fit and playing
Exactly and he got injured also with the England squad when Smalling kicked him. Jones was a utility player who can play in defense and in midfield too. He was by far a much better player than McTominay ever was.
United also should have done a lot better in trying to find him another club. I am sure Jones would have gone to a smaller club if United was going to pay his wages. It's utterly stupid to pay his full wages and keep him rather than pay some of his wages and get him to go to another club. United have been really stupid in these things. Remember the Romero situation?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He literally missed 3 and half months of football from august to end of november that season, and signed a new contract on the 8th of February(2 months after that injury). He then again missed another 5 games anf again few games later in the season.

The year before(2017/2018 season) he didn't play single minute of our CL campaign due to injuries, and missed super cup, almost all of English friendlies apart from one full start that year, and missed 14 full PL games all due to injuries.

The fact you try to do some revisionism of him couple of times in last year or so and blaming it all on one long term injury is quite weird, it's like you are his agent or something and trying to hide his injury record when everyone who ever watched United know how injury prone he always was.

golden_blunder

Staff
He literally missed 3 and half months of football from august to end of november that season, and signed a new contract on the 8th of February(2 months after that injury). He then again missed another 5 games anf again few games later in the season.

The year before(2017/2018 season) he didn't play single minute of our CL campaign due to injuries, and missed super cup, almost all of English friendlies apart from one full start that year, and missed 14 full PL games all due to injuries.

The fact you try to do some revisionism of him couple of times in last year or so and blaming it all on one long term injury is quite weird, it's like you are his agent or something and trying to hide his injury record when everyone who ever watched United know how injury prone he always was.
I repeat.. at the time of contract, he was fit, healthy, getting game time and making the England squad. That’s not revisionism, that’s fact.

it’s not like we haven’t done it for other players either. Jesus the way some of you go on, Giggs would have been booted, Ruud wouldn’t have been signed, Jesus even Bryan Robson would have been booted out.

stop making the player out to be a bad guy. The mistake that was made was the length of contract given, not on the part of the player.

how does any of that logic make me his agent? You can stop the childish insults right there

btw yes in 17/18 he missed the CL, but you neglected to say he played more league matches than a lot of the players

Last edited:

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Rio was a gigantic bellend about Phil and he rightfully got a yelling from Ole for it. He even apologized for what he said later.

I hope he leaves the club just so he doesnt have to suffer you lot any longer.

jimmyb2000

Rio was a gigantic bellend about Phil and he rightfully got a yelling from Ole for it. He even apologized for what he said later.

I hope he leaves the club just so he doesnt have to suffer you lot any longer.
As Shakespeare said "To err is human, but to forgive....well thats right on"