Philippe Coutinho Barcelona Player

mancan92

Liverpool robbed them here, couldn't believe how stupid Barcelona are to pay that much for Coutinho.

He was never one of their better players, maybe just at some easy spells.
The Barca fans I know all said that from when the time he came in. He was their second best player.

From what I saw he was always one of the most influential players last season

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
You are doing pretty well without him.

Not him having yearn for a move away every other week has probably helped squad morale too.
I know, it’s just the thought of him feeding our front 3 is mouthwatering. Particularly since none of our current midfielders are particularly creative.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
The Barca fans I know all said that from when the time he came in. He was their second best player.

From what I saw he was always one of the most influential players last season
They always say that(just like many other fans), I think they were just too excited about him. He looked lost there most of the time I saw him.

SAFMUTD

If there´s even a small chance to get him we should be all in for him. He is world class, plays on the right which we desperately need and in addition we will piss off liverpool perfect combo.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
It's literally just Messi for years, Suarez improved this year but he was really average for a long time. Messi is directly involved in 26 of their goals in La Liga. Real Madrid have scored 26 goals in total.
That's not true however often you repeat it.

You said "years" so here are Luis Suarez numbers since he signed for Barcelona in 2014 (last 5 years)

Games 220 Goals 164 Assists 88

Not to forget Neymar was there every season except for the last one. He had two of the greatest players in world football around him for the last few years and when Neymar left, he got replaced by 2 attackers costing 300m in total.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I always thought he was quite overrated while he was at Liverpool, and not worth anywhere near what Barcelona paid for him. His performances for Barca when he first moved (from what I heard; I barely watched him myself) and in the World Cup made me think I'd misjudged him, but maybe not.

the_irish123

It's literally just Messi for years, Suarez improved this year but he was really average for a long time. Messi is directly involved in 26 of their goals in La Liga. Real Madrid have scored 26 goals in total.
Delusion from Messi fans to protect him. Barca is the destination where every top player wants to be, Vidal is their pocket change signing, they have all the top players in every position, Digne looks a world beater in england and couldnt get a game for them...

Truth is Messi last 3 UCL have been really disapointing, especially in the elimination ties.

reddevil702

If there´s even a small chance to get him we should be all in for him. He is world class, plays on the right which we desperately need and in addition we will piss off liverpool perfect combo.
Does he? I've always seen him play on the left or central as a 10.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Truth is Messi last 3 UCL have been really disapointing, especially in the elimination ties
You talk about their quality all around and blame only Messi for their CL exit, who wasn't at his best, but was still regulary one of their better players in those ties while his teammates played like League 1 footballers.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
That's not true however often you repeat it.

You said "years" so here are Luis Suarez numbers since he signed for Barcelona in 2014 (last 5 years)

Games 220 Goals 164 Assists 88

Not to forget Neymar was there every season except for the last one. He had two of the greatest players in world football around him for the last few years and when Neymar left, he got replaced by 2 attackers costing 300m in total.
Suarez was almost average for 2 years, he was really underperforming, just like their entire midfield. But yeah, all Messi's fault.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Delusion from Messi fans to protect him. Barca is the destination where every top player wants to be, Vidal is their pocket change signing, they have all the top players in every position, Digne looks a world beater in england and couldnt get a game for them...

Truth is Messi last 3 UCL have been really disapointing, especially in the elimination ties.
Messi schooled Chelsea in the last 32 last year and didn't start against Roma away where they threw away a convincing lead...

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Suarez was almost average for 2 years, he was really underperforming, just like their entire midfield. But yeah, all Messi's fault.
I never said it was Messi's fault, I just said it is not true to say he was all alone.

In 2016/17 Neymar was still at Barcelona, so I can't see the argument there.

It partially works for the first half of 17/18 when Dembele was injured and Coutinho wasn't there yet, but in winter Dembele came back and Coutinho signed.

Suarez ended last season on 31 goals 18 assists, how the feck is that average:wenger:

The squad is just insanely good in terms of attacking options.

SteveW

Good player but if we're signing an attacker it needs t be someone to play on the right.

haram

He was never worth 140 million. Pogba is the better player as well.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
I never said it was Messi's fault, I just said it is not true to say he was all alone.

In 2016/17 Neymar was still at Barcelona, so I can't see the argument there.

It partially works for the first half of 17/18 when Dembele was injured and Coutinho wasn't there yet, but in winter Dembele came back and Coutinho signed.

Suarez ended last season on 31 goals 18 assists, how the feck is that average:wenger:

The squad is just insanely good in terms of attacking options.
Suarez was really poor in cruical games. Pretty much every player who played in their attack had amazing stat, which were all mostly down to Messi and their attacking play. He assisted and scored half of their goald this year, that's all you need to know about his importance to Barcelona.

No matter how good their other players are individually, they sre average team without him which was proved every time he was out or had a poor game.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Comprehensible opinion. Only if you haven't watched Messi in the last three UCLs though.

LoveFootball

Overrated. Good player but nowhere near the level most people put him, and Barcelona paying 140M for him was a joke. Had some good moments on his debut for Barca that resulted in people overrating his performances. He's slow as feck and most of the time slows their attacks. He'll not upgrade our LW and would be a downgrade to Martial, he'll cost lots of money too.
Arthur, Ndembele and Messi(I have a dream...) are the Barca players we should be targeting.

dogwithabone

He’s just what we need. How anyone could argue against this potential signing is beyond me.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Move hasn't worked out so far, can't get into the side. We've been linked to him today, would you take him?
Absolutely. He’s class - but we would have to commit to a diamond to get best out of him and Pogba.

He’s probably best of replacing Silva at City or heading back to Liverpool.

goin4glory

We need someone to partner Pogba in a 4-3-3 and I've been holding out hope for Eriksen but Coutinho would be excellent too. Doubt it's more than paper guff though.

cyberman

We need someone to partner Pogba in a 4-3-3 and I've been holding out hope for Eriksen but Coutinho would be excellent too. Doubt it's more than paper guff though.
But Pogba plays left of the three?

Mick321

He’s not a midfielder, as Barcelona are finding out after stupidly expecting him to replace Iniesta. It seems to have been forgotten Liverpool had plenty of games when they looked an unbalanced mess with the “Fab Four” playing. He’s best off the left, he even says that himself and we have Martial so no thanks, quality player but other priorities.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Great player, not what we need. If he comes in who is he going to displace? Pogba? Martial? Sanchez(...?!) Great, then what? We still have big weaknesses on the right flank and in defense.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Suarez was really poor in cruical games. Pretty much every player who played in their attack had amazing stat, which were all mostly down to Messi and their attacking play. He assisted and scored half of their goald this year, that's all you need to know about his importance to Barcelona.

No matter how good their other players are individually, they sre average team without him which was proved every time he was out or had a poor game.
If Messi isn't playing they have an attack of Suarez, Dembele and Coutinho with Malcom on the bench. That's miles better than any other attack in La Liga but apparently even that isn't enough :lol::lol::lol:

Their squad is so ridiculously stacked that Valverde can win the league by 20 points and he'll get fired if they don't win the Champions League

the chameleon

Knowing Woodie and the muppet that he is, I wouldn’t put it past him to blow our transfer budget on him. Then when bid £40 million for Koulibaly and get rejected.

Let’s hope that the top level have learned the lesson and sign players that are actually needed to improve the TEAM.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
If Messi isn't playing they have an attack of Suarez, Dembele and Coutinho with Malcom on the bench. That's miles better than any other attack in La Liga but apparently even that isn't enough :lol::lol::lol:

Their squad is so ridiculously stacked that Valverde can win the league by 20 points and he'll get fired if they don't win the Champions League
If their board has any sense whatsoever, he'll get fired because they play like crap 3/4 of the time with that great roster they have. This season they've had a grand total of 2 (two) away league games they've comfortably won and outplayed their opponents, and we're in bloody January already with half a season gone. With all due respect to the likes of Getafe, Rayo, and Valladolid etc. they should be comfortably steamrollering them instead of relying on fluke referee calls and Ter Stegen to bail them out time and time again. The team looks as if it hasn't been coached at all.

As for Coutinho, if anyone suggested a year a half ago that Guardiola would play De Bruyne and David Silva as a central midfield pairing, he'd probably have been told to go have a health checkup. Valverde is a risk averse, mid table manager who is obsessed with "balance", which mostly means cramming as many workhorses as possible in midfield. I'd wait to see Coutinho under a more progressive coach before making any decisions.

ZAKU-RED

Supports
Barcelona
He was pretty good when he got here but this season, he started off in the Midfield Pairing up with Rakitic and Busi with Dembele at LW. But we were struggling a bit with Control and often conceded some crappy goals. But Valverde decided that he couldn't play Dembele and Coutinho together when the issues were a bit deeper than that.

Valverde decided to bench Dembele, in favor of playing Coutinho at LW and Arthur in the Midfield which brought some stability but you still had the likes of Pique being in horrible form and Roberto being dreadful on the defensive end. Coutinho's performances started to decline since the switch.

Dembele was getting a lot of criticism and being targeted by the Catalan media during that time despite IMO Him being much more effective than Coutinho has this season at that point. Dembele was improving despite Him being late for training while Coutinho wasn't doing well on the LW.

After the late gate debacle with Dembele, the situation changed. Coutinho who came back from injury, eventually lost his place to Dembele who was on a run of excellent form and it made it impossible for Valverde to bench Dembele and Coutinho who's performances have been on the downward since October lost out.

Right now I can't see Coutinho benching Dembele. Dembele has become a crucial player for us on the front line as he provides much more than Coutinho does there. Unless Valverde decides to move Coutinho back into the Midfield or benching Suarez, the current situation is probably going to continue.

Reactions: harms

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
If their board has any sense whatsoever, he'll get fired because they play like crap 3/4 of the time with that great roster they have. This season they've had a grand total of 2 (two) away league games they've comfortably won and outplayed their opponents, and we're in bloody January already with half a season gone. With all due respect to the likes of Getafe, Rayo, and Valladolid etc. they should be comfortably steamrollering them instead of relying on fluke referee calls and Ter Stegen to bail them out time and time again. The team looks as if it hasn't been coached at all.

As for Coutinho, if anyone suggested a year a half ago that Guardiola would play De Bruyne and David Silva as a central midfield pairing, he'd probably have been told to go have a health checkup. Valverde is a risk averse, mid table manager who is obsessed with "balance", which mostly means cramming as many workhorses as possible in midfield. I'd wait to see Coutinho under a more progressive coach before making any decisions.
I'd love to see Setien at Barca next season, they'd playing some breathtaking football that's for sure

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
I'd love to see Setien at Barca next season, they'd playing some breathtaking football that's for sure
Don't know if this is sarcasm or not, but unless they hire Mourinho (:devil:) I can hardly imagine them being less inspiring under anyone else than they are now.

Bola

Struggling to see where he fits into this team?

We look to be playing a central attacking mid formation anytime soon, while we have 3 x top level players who can fulfil the attsvkujg left role. We have higher priorities in the team to fill

Or am I missing something?

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Don't know if this is sarcasm or not, but unless they hire Mourinho (:devil:) I can hardly imagine them being less inspiring under anyone else than they are now.
They're not that bad, come on now. They've probably scored more goals than any team in the top leagues this season.

It's been better this season compared to last year