Phone Hacking Arrests

MJLD

Well, no. He acted on the intelligence he had at the time. It was also undeniably justified under UNSCR 1441. Also ridiculous to ignore that Parliament voted for it, so by that standard all MPs in favour should be to 'blame'.

Anyway, I'm sure there is another thread for this...

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
Well, no. He acted on the intelligence he had at the time. It was also undeniably justified under UNSCR 1441. Also ridiculous to ignore that Parliament voted for it, so by that standard all MPs in favour should be to 'blame'.

Agreed.

Under the British Constitution the Royal Prerogative gives the Prime Minister absolute authority to go to war whilst Parliament is sovereign, if neither have an issue then there is no issue.

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
So he got us into the war by believing there were WMD? I don't know which is worse
No, believing there was a means and willingness to develop weapons of mass destruction was what we were after.

People seem to believe that between 1991 and 2003 nothing was going on about Iraq but in reality the Gulf War never ended, not until the fall of the Hussein regime - nobody questions the bombing campaign of Iraq in 1998 by Britain and the United States the point of which was to destroy any capabilities Iraq had to such ends, I am willing to bet most people who criticise the war don't know that it happened.

This of course being the Clinton administration, destroying the argument that the 2003 invasion and evidence for which was a Bush administration invention. This is also on top of earlier bombings by the Clinton White House in 1993 and 1996 and all of the clashes over the two no-fly zones.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Coulson charged with perjury for allegedly lying to the High Court while working as Cameron's communications chief.

bsc

Fascinating watching Jay and his magnificent beard slowly carve Hunt to death.

Osborne surely has to be called up and it looks like Coulson was heavily involved with the bid, meaning he perjured again.

He surely can't keep his job after this.

Drifter

American
Could be an interesting week with Brown , Osbourne ,Major and gerbil face himself Cameron. all making an appearance.

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
Can you get any more shitty and cynical than this. Do these people have no shame?

. . . Boris Johnson has chosen to host Rupert Murdoch and his wife Wendi as his guests at an Olympic swimming final on Friday, underscoring his closeness to the media baron. The engagement is the first between the pair since Political Scrapbook exposed meetings which City Hall had attempted to hide from journalists and members of the London Assembly.

bsc

Interesting letter sent by a group of Conservatives to the Guardian ahead of LJ Leveson's announcement on press regulation:

After eight months, 650 witnesses and 6,000 pages of evidence submitted to the Leveson inquiry, we can be clear about two things. Firstly, that a free press is essential for a free society. Secondly, that there are fundamental weaknesses in the current model of self-regulation which cannot be ignored (Prejudging the judge, 2 November). No one wants our media controlled by the government but, to be credible, any new regulator must be independent of the press as well as from politicians. We are concerned that the current proposal put forward by the newspaper industry would lack independence and risks being an unstable model destined to fail, like previous initiatives over the past 60 years. These concerns are shared by the NUJ.

We agree with the prime minister that obsessive argument about the principle of statutory regulation can cloud the debate. Instead we must do what is necessary to create a genuinely independent system. The defamation bill is currently going through parliament with the support of all parties and the newspaper industry. This proves that, when people try, it is possible to make sensible changes to the law.

We should also keep some perspective: the introduction of the Legal Services Board in statute has not compromised the independence of the legal profession. The Jimmy Savile scandal was exposed by ITV and the Winterbourne View care home scandal was exposed by the BBC, both of which are regulated by the Broadcasting Act. While no one is suggesting similar laws for newspapers, it is not credible to suggest that broadcasters such as Sky News, ITV or the BBC have their agenda dictated by the government of the day.

The worst excesses of the press have stemmed from the fact that the public interest defence has been too elastic and, all too often, has meant whatever editors wanted it to mean. To protect both robust journalism and the public, it is now essential to establish a single standard for assessing the public interest test which can be applied independently and consistently.

The prime minister was right to set up the Leveson inquiry. While it has been uncomfortable for both politicians and the press, it also represents a once-in-a-generation opportunity to put things right. Parliament must not duck the challenge.
Lord Fowler, Sir Malcolm Rifkind, Caroline Spelman, George Eustice, Penny Mordaunt, Nadhim Zahawi, Zac Goldsmith, Robert Buckland, Andrew Bingham, Adam Afriyie, Neil Parish, Rehman Chishti, Brian Binley, Jackie Doyle-Price, Stephen Metcalfe, Oliver Colvile, Mike Weatherly, Sheryll Murray, Claire Perry, Gary Streeter, Gareth Johnson, James Morris, George Freeman, Andrea Leadsom, Marcus Jones, Bob Stewart, Nicholas Soames, Guto Bebb, Geoffrey Cox, Crispin Blunt, Angela Watkinson, Gerald Howarth, David Morris, Mark Garnier, Mark Field, Henry Bellingham, Gavin Barwell, Jesse Norman, Chris Skidmore, Nicola Blackwood, Paul Uppal, Simon Hart, Lord Ryder (Richard)
Wasn't expecting this at all, calling for a small form of government intervention, or statutory law :eek:

Have to tip my hat to that select group of Tories.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Surprisingly, all that makes sense...it must be a trap. :D

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
Si it turns out Rebecca Brooks was having quite a 6 year affair with Andy Coulson. While she was married to Ross Kemp. God, I hope these douche bags along with Murdoch get dragged through the mud. Wonder if badass Ross Kemp will make an episode of hunting down Andy Coulson to extract some revenge.

Don't Kill Bill

So Brooks' closest confident and lover was inside Downing street, put there by Cameron despite the warning he was soiled by the hacking scandle. I wonder at what point it becomes so obviously implied that Murdoch was behind Cameron's election to the Tory leadership that it is just common knowledge he's a Murdoch stooge.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
So Brooks' closest confident and lover was inside Downing street, put there by Cameron despite the warning he was soiled by the hacking scandle. I wonder at what point it becomes so obviously implied that Murdoch was behind Cameron's election to the Tory leadership that it is just common knowledge he's a Murdoch stooge.

When the issue first arose after it was subject to an injunction, the point was made that there was a public interest issue because of this very point. I'm surprised the media haven't commented on this today. I guess there must be some issue with the injunction still lingering.

Here is how the story was first reported back in June - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-fears-tryst-blow-political-agenda-water.html

'David Cameron has held crisis talks at Downing Street after being told of allegations of a sensational love affair which has potentially significant political implications for him.'
Will we have to wait for the trial to end before these implications can be discussed by the media?

SteveJ

Scout
CourtNewsUK ‏@CourtNewsUK 3m
News of the World despatched photographers and reporters to search for Milly Dowler on the basis of hacked information from a hoax call

CourtNewsUK ‏@CourtNewsUK 1m
Coulson approved payment for royal phone with the Queen's direct number in it

alastair

ignorant
I've met Andy Coulson at some presentation event bollocks in the city.

He brought me over some red wine. I told him I didn't drink red wine. He looked at me, then offered it to someone nearby, and started talking to them, ignoring me.

I find it quite amazing how many famous people I've met who have done similar things.

Moriarty

So, is there any truth that potential jurors were excused is they admitted to being readers of Private Eye or Guido Fawkes? And what's ll this about an allegation that plain clothes coppers ass vendors not to sell or display the current edition of the Eye?

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
So, is there any truth that potential jurors were excused is they admitted to being readers of Private Eye or Guido Fawkes? And what's ll this about an allegation that plain clothes coppers ass vendors not to sell or display the current edition of the Eye?
If its true, its because of Ian Hislop's stance on the press reforms and also because of private eye's journalism not being on the good side of the establishment.

SteveJ

Scout
There are no words (except these).