Television Physical 100 (Netflix)

The Firestarter

Something akin to a reality show "squid game". A 100 insanely fit Korean dudes and girls , mostly from sports or some sort of service backgrounds, compete in variety of physical games for the prize of hundreds of millions Korean moneys. Three episodes in, seems pretty interesting. Some of the agility displayed by certain players in the first game was rather unseemly for me.

IMDb: : Physical: 100

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It’s a fun watch if a bit samey as there’s so many ‘fights’. Would be interesting if they were figuring for their lives.

Glorio

It’s a fun watch if a bit samey as there’s so many ‘fights’. Would be interesting if they were figuring for their lives.
So cheesy the English subs!

In the ball game, were players not allowed to choke others out?

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Stumbled upon this last week. I enjoy the format but all the replays for every moderate reaction is annoying as hell.

The ball game was brutal but also really clever as it allowed for so many valid tactics. It was fun watching the big lads protecting the ball in the corner knowing damn well that they'd never get the ball back once they lose it :lol:

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
Stumbled upon this last week. I enjoy the format but all the replays for every moderate reaction is annoying as hell.

The ball game was brutal but also really clever as it allowed for so many valid tactics. It was fun watching the big lads protecting the ball in the corner knowing damn well that they'd never get the ball back once they lose it :lol:
The excessive replays is very much a Korean thing. It annoys me as well.

The Firestarter

What is also apparently a Korean thing the incessant "wooooo" for every minor happening. Easily excited chaps.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Watch a few episodes last night when I was falling asleep. Interesting concept. I also really hate the 2-3 replay thing, I don't need to see someone dropping into the water from three different uninteresting angles. Seems like something US TV will copy eventually, probably for the worse. The Korean contestants feel much more polite and down to earth and don't give off that hella annoying gym bro vibe that American fitness Youtubers would.

Glorio

What is also apparently a Korean thing the incessant "wooooo" for every minor happening. Easily excited chaps.
"I've got chills"
"He's so cool"
"This is so cool"
"You're awesome"
"You've got a great body"

All on repeat - I suppose muscled super jocks have similarities in whatever country :lol:

Interestingly for a crowd including lot's of seasoned professional athletes, they seemed overly obsessed with aesthetic bodies, even though anyone into sports knows that doesn't always equate performance

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
"I've got chills"
"He's so cool"
"This is so cool"
"You're awesome"

All on repeat - I suppose muscled super jocks have similarities in whatever country :lol:

Interestingly for a crowd including lot's of seasoned professional athletes, they seemed overly obsessed with aesthetic bodies, even though anyone into sports knows that doesn't always equate performance
That's kind of the premise of the entire show though so the contestants are probably told to focus on that by the producers and it's edited to highlight that, for better or worse. They don't say "best all-around athlete" or "best performance across many metrics" it's reduced to the aesthetic angle of "best physique"

At least the Koreans are fairly down-to-earth and polite. I could imagine an American version of this being insanely cringe-worthy with contestants far more annoying than this lot.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Am I the only one who got annoyed by the pro wrestler throwing that huge prison guard around like a rag doll? I know that he's a professional and knows what he's doing, but he looked very close to seriously injuring him multiple times and he looked to be in quite a bit of pain. It felt like showboating and unnecessary use of force to me.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Am I the only one who got annoyed by the pro wrestler throwing that huge prison guard around like a rag doll? I know that he's a professional and knows what he's doing, but he looked very close to seriously injuring him multiple times and he looked to be in quite a bit of pain. It felt like showboating and unnecessary use of force to me.
Yeah, he seemed to have a chip on his shoulder and wanted to make a name for himself so he picked one of the biggest guys on there and seemed intent on, like you say, showboating.

Glorio

No you're not. Wasn't great to watch - the prison guard seemed like too nice a guy anyway - no aggression about him, and the other guy was being incredibly dickish about it all

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Yeah, he seemed to have a chip on his shoulder and wanted to make a name for himself so he picked one of the biggest guys on there and seemed intent on, like you say, showboating.
No you're not. Wasn't great to watch - the prison guard seemed like too nice a guy anyway - no aggression about him, and the other guy was being incredibly dickish about it all
Glad to see I'm not alone! I really hope that guy doesn't win.

The Firestarter

That ship towing seemed fairly brutal, I hope they checked their hearts thoroughly before.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Yeah I was rooting for the prison guard.

But I did like the dickishness of that skinny MMA guy who pinned the butch woman down with his knee to her stomach :lol:

Also... Need my boy Sexyama to win!

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
"I've got chills"
"He's so cool"
"This is so cool"
"You're awesome"

It’s a translation issue. They’re using common phrases but the English equivalent just sounds cheesy. And yea it’s a very superficial aesthetic obsessed country.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Yeah I was rooting for the prison guard.

But I did like the dickishness of that skinny MMA guy who pinned the butch woman down with his knee to her stomach :lol:

Also... Need my boy Sexyama to win!
:lol: :lol: I'd never even heard of this show, then randomly discovered it's existence and that Sexyama was in it, and have immediately binged the lot in two nights. Got to reluctantly agree with @Tarrou that it's actually complete shite, but I'm hooked for now. The general politeness is pleasing too. Even the relative knobbers are mostly quite pleasant really.

The ship moving is actually tense as feck, especially compared to the monotony of the never-ending ball game battles. Was fuming when the episode finished mid-challenge. Surely Sexyama whipping his top off will have rallied his team to victory. How could it not?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
:lol: :lol: I'd never even heard of this show, then randomly discovered it's existence and that Sexyama was in it, and have immediately binged the lot in two nights. Got to reluctantly agree with @Tarrou that it's actually complete shite, but I'm hooked for now. The general politeness is pleasing too. Even the relative knobbers are mostly quite pleasant really.

The ship moving is actually tense as feck, especially compared to the monotony of the never-ending ball game battles. Was fuming when the episode finished mid-challenge. Surely Sexyama whipping his top off will have rallied his team to victory. How could it not?
It rallied me to try bone the missus. Told her to talk call me Sexyama.

Ended up sleeping on the couch.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
The episodes are at least 20 minutes longer than they need to be. Not just because of all the replays but the pacing as well. The producers are really milking it.

But I got to hand it them, the games have been great so far. I like that even when it looks like brute strength will win the day there are elements of speed, endurance and intelligence that can push things in your favor. Nothing has felt particularly cheap or unfair so far.

The latest challenge is absolutely mental.

Last edited:

Glorio

The episodes are at least 20 minutes longer than they need to be. Not just because of all the replays but the pacing as well. The producers are really milking it.

But I got to hand it them, the games have been great so far. I like that even when it looks like brute strength will win the day there are elements of speed, endurance and intelligence that can push things in your favor. Nothing has felt particularly cheap or unfair so far.

The latest challenge is absolutely mental.
Not sure about the tactics of the current group full of young blokes. There are handles for a reason

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Not sure about the tactics of the current group full of young blokes. There are handles for a reason
Oh my god, yes...

How can they be so thick? I think they were a full minute faster than the first team to load the ship with barrels and lay out the logs, but when the ship reached the other side they were 3 minutes behind because no one figured out that lifting the ship was an option! And just when I thought that they had peaked with their stupidity, literally the whole team started pulling on the same rope, with no one laying as much as a finger on the ship. So frustrating to watch :lol:

They are the strongest team on paper but they might actually go out now. They are lucky that the last team consists of 3 women, 1 injured guy and a couple of tiny guys. They will struggle with the ship even if they are smart and cooperate really well.

The Firestarter

Oh my god, yes...

How can they be so thick? I think they were a full minute faster than the first team to load the ship with barrels and lay out the logs, but when the ship reached the other side they were 3 minutes behind because no one figured out that lifting the ship was an option! And just when I thought that they had peaked with their stupidity, literally the whole team started pulling on the same rope, with no one laying as much as a finger on the ship. So frustrating to watch :lol:

They are the strongest team on paper but they might actually go out now. They are lucky that the last team consists of 3 women, 1 injured guy and a couple of tiny guys. They will struggle with the ship even if they are smart and cooperate really well.
If they snapped the rope they might really be fecked though.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
They drag it out too much in each episode with so many replays and talking.

The Korean ladies are very hot though (mostly)

One thing that is strange is they said at the start of the show their goal is to find the strongest person. But you don’t find the strongest person by doing team challenges because of team dynamics and other stuff. If they wanted the strongest person then they should have gone with individual challenges throughout

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
They drag it out too much in each episode with so many replays and talking.

The Korean ladies are very hot though (mostly)

One thing that is strange is they said at the start of the show their goal is to find the strongest person. But you don’t find the strongest person by doing team challenges because of team dynamics and other stuff. If they wanted the strongest person then they should have gone with individual challenges throughout
I don't think it's the strongest person but the "best physique" at least that's the subtitles I read.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Friends have been raving about this so me and Ms. Vidyoyo decided to watch it yesterday. We probably got through the first 7 episodes in about 2 hours by skipping through to all the actual content.

Then I decided to put on some Takeshi's Castles re-runs and enjoyed them far more.