Music Pink Floyd

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Thought's on them? Favourite albums, best songs etc?

Think they're incredibly unique, there really aren't any bands that sound quite like them. They have the full package, fantastic musically, Water's fantastic lyrical ability, incredible live shows most of which were way ahead of their time.

GBBQ

Hard to look past Dark Side of The Moon or The Wall as their strongest albums. I know people will argue that the Syd Barret stuff is the best stuff creatively but I think The Wall and DSOTM are the band at their peak musically.

have seen Roger Waters three times live (In The Flesh, Dark Side of The Moon Anniversary and The Wall live tours) and every time he has blown me away. Never played for less than 3 hours and the musicians and visuals involved were just amazing.

For best songs, too many to mention but currently 'The Final Cut', 'Great Gig in the Sky', 'Pillow of Winds', 'Pigs on the Wing pt 1&2'.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
I never cared much about the Wall. Huge fan of their middle 70s albums though...Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here and Animals, which just might be their most underrated album.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The Wall, apart from two or three songs i thought was pretty poor. Most of my favourite albums also have short/atmospheric/instrumental pieces to bridge the tracks together and make the album a coherent body of work designed to be listened to all the way through, but in my opinion they way over did it.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
My two favourites by them are the live version of Comfortably Numb (probably one of the songs I've listened most to in my life along with Gimme Shelter) and Echoes, which is great for certain moods.

Everest Red

Reddest ever
I love the first album. I like Dark Side too, but I've listened to it so often that I never voluntarily listen to it.

I like meedle too. Not much unity or coherence, but still great.

Dark Side Of The Moon is a journey. Its easy to say but they really don't make them like that anymore.

Shine On is probably my favourite track of theirs.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Wish You Were Here is my fav album for the most part. Dark Side is a genuine masterpiece though

Favourite song is very hard to pick. It would probably be between Echoes, Shine On, Dogs and Comfortably Numb.

jem

I love Pink Floyd and can't really choose between Dark Side, Wish You Were Here or The Wall. Piper at The Gates of Dawn is also fantastic (although it sounds like a completely different band,) while Meddle and Animals are also great. I have no interest in the post-Waters material though.

Woodzy

My two favourites by them are the live version of Comfortably Numb (probably one of the songs I've listened most to in my life along with Gimme Shelter) and Echoes, which is great for certain moods.
From Pulse? The solo is especially is one of my favourites bits of music ever. Only Gilmour can produce something like that.

From what I remember as well, the light show and stage effects just add to it completely.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
From Pulse? The solo is especially is one of my favourites bits of music ever. Only Gilmour can produce something like that.

From what I remember as well, the light show and stage effects just add to it completely.
You heard the uncut version? An extra minute or so on the second solo. One of the most incredible live guitar performances ever

One of my favourite bands of all time.

Fave song of Syd's, one of my fave tunes of all time, will always make me cry.

Love this. Always loved Syd's erratic vocal style too

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

That's what I'm talking about. Such a brilliant piece of music.

EDIT: just saw Snake Plissken posted it before me! :lol:

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
The Dark Side of the Moon > Wish You Were Here > Meddle > Piper at the Gates of Dawn > A Saucerful of Secrets > Animals > The Wall > Atom Heart Mother > The Division Bell > The Final Cut > A Momentary Lapse of Reason

thepolice123

It varies from time to time.

The last time I listened to them, I thought Piper at the Gates of Dawn was their best album. And I thought The Wall was quite overrated.

arthurka

It varies from time to time.

The last time I listened to them, I thought Piper at the Gates of Dawn was their best album. And I thought The Wall was quite overrated.
This for me.. The Wall and post Waters stuff isnt my Cup of tea. But Piper and Wish you were here are just fantastic.

Woodzy

Anyone heard The Endless River yet? Anisina might just the most beautiful 3 minutes of music I have ever heard.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
Not a huge fan of The Endless River so far, but it usually takes a few listenings before it really hits me

lalloyd

Dark Side of the Moon is one of my favourite albums. I like to write from time to time and it helps me to get in the zone.

arthurka

Dark Side of the Moon is one of my favourite albums. I like to write from time to time and it helps me to get in the zone.
More of Wish you where here feel to this but nothing you can hold on too, but it might get better with time..

BUGGS

Anyone on here going to the Roger Waters gig at Manchester Arena tonight?
He's on stage at 8 so i'm going to miss the second half of the England game :mad: and apparently there's no signal in the arena.

GBBQ

Anyone on here going to the Roger Waters gig at Manchester Arena tonight?
He's on stage at 8 so i'm going to miss the second half of the England game :mad: and apparently there's no signal in the arena.
I went to the gig in Dublin. had the same notice that the gig starts at 8 sharp but they play a video on the screen for the first 20 minutes before any songs are played.

Ainu

I went to see him in Lille a couple of weeks ago, was absolutely brilliant. Okay it's not Pink Floyd but it's as close as I'll ever get to a sort of authentic live show of Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here and Animals songs. As a spectacle it was incredible, as you'd expect.

izzydiggler

I'm going to the Birmingham gig on Saturday with someone who knows Roger Waters (from Childhood...he also knew Roger/Sid Barrett), so I'm having dinner with him before the gig...probably end up with him saying "Hi" before I have to go and sit down the bottom of the table but as a huge Floyd fan, I may lose my shit.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Seeing Waters in Krakow tonight, can't wait. :drool: Apparently he doesn't perform as well as Gilmour muscially but produces a much better show of the two which is part of what Pink Floyd music is about, you need to 'experience' it as much as you need to listen to it. His set lists for this tour are phenomenal too.

Within six months I'll be seeing Stones (a month ago in Warsaw), Waters and McCartney (December in Krakow). Wow.

Last edited:

Ralaks

I've seen him perform the wall twice and Gilmour twice touring with Rattle That Lock. The spectacle of Waters' The Wall was amazing, but it was in a shit venue in DK both times I saw it, comparably the two Gilmour concerts were outsite, one in an ancient amphitheatre, the sound is generally much better compared to a roofed up football arena.

I'm also catching his tour soon, in a much better venue finally, very excited to see him perform more than the Wall. Also catching Nick Mason perform the real old psychedelic stuff in one month at a much smaller venue, which I think will be a very fun trippy contrast to Waters and Gilmour (and also crossing off having seen all alive members)!!

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Dogs and especially Pigs were two of the best performances I have seen live. Absolutely breathtaking stuff.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Wish You Were Here - fav song Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Meddle -fav songs Echoes and Fearless(obvious reason)
Animals-Fav song Dogs

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
I don't think there was anyone more naturally talented, musically and lyrically, than Syd Barrett. He should have been alongside Bowie in the seventies.

I like a lot of other Floyd until the mid-seventies when Rick Wright was pushed aside. Some afterwards. Rick was vital for his musical understanding first with Syd and then with Dave Gilmour.

(Syd's The Madcap Laughs and Barrett and Rick's Broken China are all highly recommended.)

Best song... for the moment I'll go with Matilda Mother, although I could go for many others.

Best album... Piper or Meddle. Maybe Wish You Were Here or Dark Side of the Moon.

Some of my favourite moments are in the period between Syd's departure and TDSotM. If Syd had stayed and mixed in his Madcap and Barrett songs (as was a possibility) they'd have reached Beatles/Stones levels then.

Last edited:

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Surprised to not see Animals get a shoutout. It’s a masterpiece to me and has more of a rock n roll vibe than Dark Side. The solos in Dogs are beautiful and so well placed. Pigs is just a mean song, and cuts deep. And I love the transition from vocal notes to guitar in Sheep. Felt like experiencing a 5 act opera, that album. Great to listen to while peaking, but not on the comeup.

Classical Mechanic

I don't think there was anyone more naturally talented, musically and lyrically, than Syd Barrett. He should have been alongside Bowie in the seventies.

I like a lot of other Floyd until the mid-seventies when Rick Wright was pushed aside. Some afterwards. Rick was vital for his musical understanding first with Syd and then with Dave Gilmour.

(Syd's The Madcap Laughs and Barrett and Rick's Broken China are all highly recommended.)

Best song... for the moment I'll go with Matilda Mother, although I could go for many others.

Best album... Piper or Meddle. Maybe Wish You Were Here or Dark Side of the Moon.

Some of my favourite moments are in the period between Syd's departure and TDSotM. If Syd had stayed and mixed in his Madcap and Barrett songs (as was a possibility) they'd have reached Beatles/Stones levels then.
See, I totally disagree with your final statement. For me, the only reason Floyd hit the heights they did was because Syd left and Waters took over. Their run from Dark Side to The Wall was when Waters influence was greatest and the period that elevated them to all time greats.

I don’t think that Syd really fitted in with what made Floyd a truly great band. There’s a documentary on the making of Wish You Were Here and one of the soul singers they used said that Motown was a tough school but Floyd were the most demanding and meticulous musicians she ever worked with.

Syd was flighty and his music off the cuff. I don’t see him fitting in with the Waters era when they were hitting everything bang on. That wasn’t an accident, they worked incredibly hard in every aspect of their music and were ahead of their time in many regards. Syd didn’t fit in with that life so I can’t envision how he could been a part of the Floyd machine at their peak.

Classical Mechanic

Surprised to not see Animals get a shoutout. It’s a masterpiece to me and has more of a rock n roll vibe than Dark Side. The solos in Dogs are beautiful and so well placed. Pigs is just a mean song, and cuts deep. And I love the transition from vocal notes to guitar in Sheep. Felt like experiencing a 5 act opera, that album. Great to listen to while peaking, but not on the comeup.
Pigs is the best use of the talk box pedal in the history of guitar.

ColvaleGoa

Heard Comfortably Numb and opened up the whole world for me. Dark side of Moon and The Wall are simply amazing .