Players in their correct positions please?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I wish Smalling would be played in his proper position too, Left Back at home.
:lol:

To be fair he is powerful in the air and you need someone good in the air, in the team. If Fellaini doesn't play and our other tall players are useless, Jose has to pick him.
Smalling, tends to panic. Jones is the same. Both of these guys have a game losing mistake in them.

CM

It's daft not to at least try Sanchez on the right when he's played there to a pretty decent level before now. It's frustrating to see Martial being moved about when he was finally finding his groove under Mourinho.

I think at this point it's safe to say Shaw offers more than Young and Lingard's purple patch is over. The midfield severely lacked balance away to Spurs and the midfield was bullied by Shelvey and Diame against Newcastle. If that isn't an indicator that change is needed, I don't know what is.

TheGame

Why does everyone keep harping on about full backs? Are they jealous because City have spent £100m on full backs and we haven't? We have far greater problems in midfield and in creating chances. That should be our priority. Valencia and Shaw are excellent full backs. Some cover is needed but not splashing out unnecessary money on positions we don't need to.

JG3001

I always thought Alexis was a RW, pretty sure he played there for most of his Udinese and Barcelona career, even a good chunk of his time at Arsenal.

Buying him to not use him there is madness seeing as it’s a position we’ve needed sorting for about 5 years now.

Marcky411

Still dont get why in form Martial was shipped out to the right ? That for me is just bad management..
Simple to accommodate his new toy Sanchez and because Sanchez wants to play on the left. Funny enough since he has come in we have lost 2 games in a row with dire football and 90% of his game seems to be going through the middle leaving the left often unoccupied. That you call disjointing a whole team for one player.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
People out far too much emphasis on player position's. The best players can play multiple posoposit. Ronaldo is still Ronaldo from the right, left, behind and upfront. Don't matter where he is.

Martial moving from the left to the right, shouldn't make that much difference for instance.

Marcky411

Why does everyone keep harping on about full backs? Are they jealous because City have spent £100m on full backs and we haven't? We have far greater problems in midfield and in creating chances. That should be our priority. Valencia and Shaw are excellent full backs. Some cover is needed but not splashing out unnecessary money on positions we don't need to.
I think the reason why so many harp about our fullbacks is because we are trying to use them as attacking wing backs, as fullbacks they really do a job but getting forward and really contributing to our attack with crosses into the box non existent. Which bring us to the second problem as they are our wing backs offering very little and our wingers consistently cutting in we congest the centre and are thus easy to defend against, seem to keep getting in each others way and losing possession, leaving acres of space on the flanks for counter attacks because our fullbacks have pushed up the field to try and keep the playing field wide.

JK-27

It's not just positional, I think it is inconsistent players/lack of squad depth.

Lingard - has played very poorly for a few games again, doesn't know how to defend/doesn't care about defending (he let Newcastle's score run right past him). I don't know if he plays well for a few games and it all goes to head and he stops trying, or if he is just going to be a hot and cold player. Either one is not good, but it's too often now where he will disappear in games. He should not be considered a starter.

Martial - he has so much skill and pace, yet barely uses it. Yesterday, he was out on the right but how many did he take on his man outside and cross? None, despite knowing he could out run his marker as he did for the chance at goal. He cuts inside, where there is traffic, and kills opportunities because he tries to hard. Did anyone else spot Sanchez telling to him to calm down? That says a lot. The other players know he gets flustered.

Young/Shaw - Young has a few good games, gets suspended. Shaw comes in and does really well, to the point where Jose says he deserves a new contract and will be at Utd for many years, and then immediately drops him for the next game. Why? What mind games is that? And Young has now gone off the boil.

McTominay - You're 1 nil down and need to score, and you bring on McTominay? That shows how lacking in real squad depth we have.

Tactics - we'd spent the majority of the match trying to play through the back line and it wasn't working, but there was no plan B. If Jose's tactics don't work he doesn't seem capable of switching it. He said post match they could have played for 10 hours and not scored and it's true, because he would have played the same way for 10 hours! Good managers have plan B's ready to go when plan A doesn't work.