Players like Harry Kane: Do you respect them for going down with the ship, or are they wasting their careers?

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Perhaps Kane is just happy with the way things are. He gets to regularly end the season as top scorer for a team that he knows very well now, regardless of who the manager is. Maybe that’s enough for him, and he does not seriously want to change that.

Zen

Must say, if the aftermath of the ESL shenanigans, seems to be the weirdest time for this to blowup. I mean I get Spurs were in the 6 and all....

I'm not remotely fussed. If he plays out his career at Spurs and (obviously) England, but no trophies. I won't care, he's played a massive part in taking both teams to their modern peaks. Saying that, he's welcome at United ;)

Luke1995

Totti won Serie A when he was about 23 and played many seasons in CL.

Gerrard won every single trophy apart from the league title.

Kane has won nothing and baring Spurs winning their final 5 games won't be playing in CL or even perhaps any european football next season so they're geting worse at key part of his career so think its a little different to those two but get why you mention them.
Sure. Can't disagree with that. I think he will end up leaving. Torres did love Atletico Madrid but he left for Liverpool and then when that didn't really work out, went to Chelsea and collected trophies...

Maybe Kane stays one more season but can't see him staying beyond 2022.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
This is becoming a talking point across various threads again. Kane being called a 'loser' if he signs on again.

So is that the consensus?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
This is becoming a talking point across various threads again. Kane being called a 'loser' if he signs on again.

So is that the consensus?
Wouldn't say it makes him a loser but does tarnish his legacy.

Irrational.

The moment he signed that long term deal with Levy, he fecked up. No one will be prepared to offer the fees demanded and at his age, every season is precious.

He’s totally wasted his career at Spurs, he could’ve been so much more. I can’t respect that as he never left his comfort zone.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
The moment he signed that long term deal with Levy, he fecked up. No one will be prepared to offer the fees demanded and at his age, every season is precious.

He’s totally wasted his career at Spurs, he could’ve been so much more. I can’t respect that as he never left his comfort zone.

This is your answer on your first sentence. He could have pushed harder for transfer despite contract. I don't think that he didn't do it only because of respect towards Spurs. Sure, in some part he did but also seems to me that he likes his comfort zone. For which i don't blame him much. It is hard to leave your comfort zone sometimes.

But at the end, this summer he must do it. If he stays then he will regret when he retires one day.

Cloud7

I respect him for it. There are things that are more important in life than just chasing trophies and accolades.

He’s at a club that he’s been in for his whole life. He’s made a lot of money doing that. On a personal level he’s achieved a lot in his career (Likely to go down as the all time PL goal scorer). He’s likely settled and happy in that area with his family and what not.

He’s most likely happy with how things have gone and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Just like in life everyone seeks different things, footballers can seek different things as well. I said much the same about FDJ last summer when people were saying he had no ambition for being happy to sit on the Barcelona bench because him and his wife liked living in that city.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I respect him for it. There are things that are more important in life than just chasing trophies and accolades.

He’s at a club that he’s been in for his whole life. He’s made a lot of money doing that. On a personal level he’s achieved a lot in his career (Likely to go down as the all time PL goal scorer). He’s likely settled and happy in that area with his family and what not.

He’s most likely happy with how things have gone and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Just like in life everyone seeks different things, footballers can seek different things as well. I said much the same about FDJ last summer when people were saying he had no ambition for being happy to sit on the Barcelona bench because him and his wife liked living in that city.
He has said multiple times though that he wants to win trophies.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Certainly fecked up with the long contract, but is he really in his comfort zone at Spurs? There's not a lot comfortable about Spurs, they hack around, eek out narrow wins, don't create many chances. For him to score 25 goals a season, he has to do a lot more with a lot less service. He could go to City and have chance after chance served up on a plate every week and that sounds a lot more comfortable than his more challenging existence at Spurs.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Jokes aside, I do like Kane, seems a good person and if he finishes up winning nothing he'll have still had a great career.

That being said, didn't he try to force a move to Man City a year or so ago? I have a vague memory of him not turning up to training until he realised Levy wouldn't cave.

He wanted to jump ship but there were no lifeboats. Not sure if he gets credit for that.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Jokes aside, I do like Kane, seems a good person and if he finishes up winning nothing he'll have still had a great career.

That being said, didn't he try to force a move to Man City a year or so ago? I have a vague memory of him not turning up to training until he realised Levy wouldn't cave.

He wanted to jump ship but there were no lifeboats. Not sure if he gets credit for that.
Yep, he went on strike and all the usual journos queued up to excuse him where they would usually lambast a player for doing so.

Dan_F

Give me the choice of playing for United for the last five trophy-less years, or a Man City/Liverpool, it’s not even close to being a difficult decision.

That's what it comes down to. He lacks the fire that makes other players of his talent improve themselves and drag their teams to important victories. He's happy being the big fish in a small pond at Spurs.

Same with Shearer.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Shearer apparently had his choice of clubs as a teenager and chose to move the length of the country to Southampton as he thought it was the best career move. He then moved to the moneybags club who everyone at the time thought would be a force (Blackburn) and than another huge move to Newcastle who people thought would push on and challenge for things.

He was never unambitious in his decisions, he was just wrong.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Yeah Kane put his legacy in a difficult position when he very publicly wanted to leave to wrack up a few medals with City. It doesn't make him not a Spurs legend but it is disruptive to the "nobly sticking it out with boyhood club" narrative. If Kane himself is using medals as a measuring stick for his career, how can other people not?

Stadjer

I dont like the whole counting titles and nothing else matters mentality that seem to be everything people care about these days. I think somehow it came over from the NBA and now applies to football too.

Harry Kane isnt 'a loser' or someone without a 'legacy'. He is a multi millionair who lives in London. He scores lots of goals in the always hyped up Premier League for a team that is not amongst the best teams in the league. He is adored by his fans and is the captain of his national team. He will likely become the all time topscorer in the league and already is for his country.

Yet people online call him a loser for not leaving his favorite club to chase/collect a title with another team. Kane isnt taking the easy route. If he wins something with his favorite club, it really means something. If he doesnt win something thats too bad but its a teamgame and he is only 1 of the 11. Its hardly his fault.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
What do you mean going down with the ship? he's no Totti nor Javier Zanetti. He missed training session because he wanted to join City. Is that going down with the ship or wanting to escape the ship but the pirates refuse to let you to? let's be honest he is a prisoner due to his own stupidity/naivety.

stevoc

Yeah no one forced him to sign a new 6 year contract back in 2018 either. Rice in the same situation at West Ham, no idea why these guys sign 5-6 year deals knowing clubs will only let them leave for megabucks that no one will pay.

They should sign 2-3 year deals so their club gets a bit of money but they have more control over when/if they move.

Djemba-Djemba

Shearer apparently had his choice of clubs as a teenager and chose to move the length of the country to Southampton as he thought it was the best career move. He then moved to the moneybags club who everyone at the time thought would be a force (Blackburn) and than another huge move to Newcastle who people thought would push on and challenge for things.

He was never unambitious in his decisions, he was just wrong.
Yes! Nobody ever seems to mention any of that.

I can only assume it was so long ago now that everyone has just forgotten all that and they just assume Shearer followed his heart. The move to Newcastle was a World record transfer fee for feck sake, it wasn't like he was slumming it.

Okey

I respect them for choosing to waste their careers.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
He's not loser but he's not exactly a winner is he? If he ends his career trophyless it will be a huge blot on what has been a very good career. If he wins a league cup or fa cup before he's done maybe he'll be happy with a statue at spurs. Statue > medal that's for sure.

CM

I'd probably respect him more for it if he hadn't made such a big deal of wanting to be one of the best in the world and win big trophies in the past. Kane made the mistake of tying himself down for the long-term with Spurs when the team around him was disintegrating.

Kane's next move will prove how ambitious he really is. He still has the chance to leave as Spurs' record goalscorer, chase the all time Premier League goalscoring record and secure himself some trophies if he plays his cards right. If he chooses to renew with Spurs, then all the stuff about wanting to win and be the best is clearly just lip service.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Was Shearer ever seriously linked with a transfer after he got to Newcastle? It seemed like at that time that once he got there that was him done for moves.

Havak

Pokemon master
I can respect going for specific accolades such as all time goalscorer or appearances etc if you have found yourself in the position to achieve them. However, it's a lot easier to respect if you're winning trophies along the way like Giggs, Gerrard etc.

It's hard to see Spurs achieving a great deal in the near future, so I would be of the opinion Harry Kane should not try to appease Spurs fans as it's a relatively rare case of him having more than paid back what he owes that club.