Players like Harry Kane: Do you respect them for going down with the ship, or are they wasting their careers?

redshaw

Shearer was on 40-45k a week back then. United had a strict wage structure around 25k until winning the treble which Keane broke.

Not saying he went for the money, after Blackburn I think he wasn't going to join.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He’s got plenty of his career left. I still think he will move on and pick up trophies elsewhere. I respect him for sticking with the club he holds close to his heart but I do think he needs to mine in the next couple of windows. Coming to Utd and winning titles with us would be special but even if we went to Bayern and pick up a couple of titles there he’d of had a great innings.

telstar96

Shearer apparently had his choice of clubs as a teenager and chose to move the length of the country to Southampton as he thought it was the best career move. He then moved to the moneybags club who everyone at the time thought would be a force (Blackburn) and than another huge move to Newcastle who people thought would push on and challenge for things.

He was never unambitious in his decisions, he was just wrong.
Yh, at least Shearer tested himself at various clubs. The Newcastle move at the time seemed to be a big opportunity but didn't pan out as expected.

Kane on the other hand has stayed at 1 team, that look further away from titles than they did under Poch. So not really sure why others are comparing Kane to Shearer.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
He should've hopped on the strongest team, like a real man. Loser.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Well Kane did everything under the sun except for sending Levy a box of poop in the mail to get a move to City. Perhaps if he had a better agent he would have been successful

CloneMC16

He wasted his career signing a 7 year contract when he knew how hard it is to negotiate with Levy. He also tried his best to leave, so it's not like he's been massively loyal. He's still there, because he had no other choice.

Abraxas

For me I don't really think he's a hero for staying at Spurs because ultimately he wanted to leave. Can't really say he's a one club man that had no other thoughts. He may still leave. Probably will.

But I don't find it laudable for him to have gone to City and win a title either. What's to get excited about with that? Anyone that rocks up at City is going to win something. I think it's something that's for Kane and his own sense of accomplishment than something that's impressive for his career. Maybe if he came here and won us our first title in donkeys it's something to be more impressed by. So I'd say it largely depends on how he does it, just having a medal to your name isn't everything.

What would have been really impressive is if he got Spurs (or England) over the line in the opportunities he had. You can't say he hasn't had chances and a big game, world class footballer should have taken one.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
This is becoming a talking point across various threads again. Kane being called a 'loser' if he signs on again.

So is that the consensus?
I will never disrespect a player for choosing his home town club over glory, espscially if he is also a die hard supporter and fan. Its funny how people pretend they'd walk way from a club they are fans of and support, and are the super star for in a top league, just because they aren't as sucessfull as the true giants in the game.

Irrational.

Certainly fecked up with the long contract, but is he really in his comfort zone at Spurs? There's not a lot comfortable about Spurs, they hack around, eek out narrow wins, don't create many chances. For him to score 25 goals a season, he has to do a lot more with a lot less service. He could go to City and have chance after chance served up on a plate every week and that sounds a lot more comfortable than his more challenging existence at Spurs.
He knows no matter what he does now he is a club legend. He will never be dropped. He is playing alongside average to upper end of Premier League level talent. Lack of goals or trophies won’t be punished. At City for example, whether you are Aguero, Tevez or Haaland you will be dropped if you don’t pull your weight or justify your selection by slotting into the system. There is that constant need to improve to world class level.

He just doesn’t have that fire in his belly to want to do that. He’d rather retire a hero at Spurs than risk falling short at a bigger club like the Torres’, Shevchenkos, Lukakus and Coutinhos of the world have done.

Halftrack

Well Kane did everything under the sun except for sending Levy a box of poop in the mail to get a move to City. Perhaps if he had a better agent he would have been successful
I picture his brother going to his office at 0800 every morning and settle in for a long hard day of being Harry's agent. Which mostly involves him sitting behind his desk playing solitaire on his computer, and occasionally pressing the intercom to ask his secretary if he's gotten any new messages (he never has.)

And it's funny how some keep bringing up his loyalty and committment to Spurs, despite it being pointed out repeatedly that he went on strike to force a move just a year and a half ago. He clearly wanted more, he just fecked himself out of the opportunity by signing a long term deal with a guy he knew would demand an exorbitant fee for him. Maybe his brother should have done his job and advised against doing so if he actually wanted to win things.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I respect his choice. In fact I respect him more than any player that signed for Man City, especially the ones that stayed for years.

Joining a club with little history, that would be nowhere, without being owned by appalling human rights abusers, just to earn a bit more money.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I picture his brother going to his office at 0800 every morning and settle in for a long hard day of being Harry's agent. Which mostly involves him sitting behind his desk playing solitaire on his computer, and occasionally pressing the intercom to ask his secretary if he's gotten any new messages (he never has.)

And it's funny how some keep bringing up his loyalty and committment to Spurs, despite it being pointed out repeatedly that he went on strike to force a move just a year and a half ago. He clearly wanted more, he just fecked himself out of the opportunity by signing a long term deal with a guy he knew would demand an exorbitant fee for him. Maybe his brother should have done his job and advised against doing so if he actually wanted to win things.

I will never, ever not chuckle at the image of the most manicured hand in the land calling Daniel "Footballs thoughest negotiator" Levy of all people in an attempt to force him to take less money than what he wants for his flagship player

Levi1

I will never, ever not chuckle at the image of the most manicured hand in the land calling Daniel "Footballs thoughest negotiator" Levy of all people in an attempt to force him to take less money than what he wants for his flagship player

Very clean desk

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Almost is still not the same as doing though.
If we're talking about "respecting his choice", his choice was to leave, not to stay.

I 100% don't think he should get any abuse for wanting to leave but at the same time, he doesn't get any credit for staying or used as an example of loyalty when the move he wanted fell through.

FujiVice

Was Shearer ever seriously linked with a transfer after he got to Newcastle? It seemed like at that time that once he got there that was him done for moves.
Yes. Ferguson wanted him in 99 when Guillet fell out with him. He was absolutely linked to top clubs. Everyone in Europe would have had him.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Im not sure, if the game isnt about winning trophies, what is it about?

But just say he moved to Bayern, won a bunch of Bundesligas. Where does he end up in all time greats?

Shearers record could well be gettable for him, if he gets it where does that sit in accolades? Is it above a couple Bundusligas at Bayern?

Shearer is rightfully so immortalised. Where does that leave Kane if he beats Shearers record before he hangs up the boots staying at Spurs?

Arios

Supports
Juventus
Kane wasted his career imo and had only 1 chance to win something but they failed and Leicester won.
Now he is 30yrs old and last chance to move somewhere where he could win something.
If I were him I'd move to Bayern as going to another PL club would be too much of a russian roulette.
He could be a traitor and still not winning anything

MF1138

A few years ago said he wanted to be up there with Messi and Ronaldo. That's what he wanted to achieve, the level HE set for himself. Staying at Spurs he has wasted any remote chance of that. If he doesn't move now he'll likely break the Premier league scoring record but that won't last forever and he will be a footnote. If he wants to be remembered as a great he needs to leave Spurs and win a couple of premier leagues and a champions league. But maybe he's happy with the Matt Le Tissier award.

pacifictheme

I don't really respect it and I don't think they are wasting their careers either. Only they can say that when they are retired. Playing for a team you love your whole career and becoming a legend may be worth more to them than winning a title with a team you don't like. Fair enough.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It will definitely be sad. He is a fantastic player, not even just a great striker.

He will go down as the greatest ever player to win absolutely nothing and that’s a title no one wants. It’s a question that will be asked of him, and he will no doubt ask himself for the rest of his life.

Amazing player, but it’s a tragic career for someone so gifted. His trophy case should be laden. To have absolutely nothing as you slowly move out of your peak must be really disheartening for him.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Not sure about the loser tag but he certainly haven’t won anything else. Very very comfortable being a big fish in a small pond. the tv will show harry kane (456 app for tottenham)

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
But really, if you think about it, isn't it smart what Kane is doing?

Okay maybe you move on to City/Madrid. It's not a guarantee you win trophies but say he probably ends up with 2 La Ligas or Premier leagues. Amazing achievement and all. On the other hand, he stays with spurs till he is retired and he is forever going to be remembered as the face of this club. His odds of cementing himself as a spurs legend are way higher than becoming even a cult hero anywhere else.

The playing career is very short. Say he is done by 38, then that's the next 40-50 years of living as the most respected figure for the spurs fanbase vs being a footnote for a club like City, Madrid and so on.

All I'm saying is staying at Spurs might not be as big a "sacrifice" as some see it. He has a lot to gain from it

RuudTom83

The topic of Kane and trophies is one that has been done to death.

Most footballers finish their careers without a medal.

Phillips might pick up a leagues winners medal with City this year, can he really look in the mirror and be proud.

Kane has had a fine career, and if he breaks the all time scoring record then that’s an amazing achievement.

Valencia Shin Crosses

My problem with him isn't that he's stayed at Spurs necessarily, it's that he's seemingly been happy to just have all of these teams built around him that aren't that good but get him a ton of goals while never really competing for anything.

Seriously, watch a Spurs game these days and he strolls everywhere, doesn't do anything when not on the ball, and has free reign to take a million pot shots while their team just sits deep and soaks up pressure. It would be much more interesting to see him in a side that isn't just purely catered to him and where he's more of a collective

romufc

The playing career is very short. Say he is done by 38, then that's the next 40-50 years of living as the most respected figure for the spurs fanbase vs being a footnote for a club like City, Madrid and so on.
Let me ask you, do you think RVP is a footnote at United?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Let me ask you, do you think RVP is a footnote at United?
Definitely not, but he's also never going to be ahead of multiple legends at this club. He also wasn't Arsenals talisman (because of injuries) and he only played 190 games for them and 86 for us. I get your point though, and there's no denying that it can work for Kane. Say we bought him this summer and he was the guy who took us to the premier league as our top scorer. Finally ending our premier league drought of course he'd be a hero.

Its no guarantee though. Sometimes, you spend your first year or two acclimating to the club and then he may not have the same incredible impact RVP had on us. Also, Man United are a little different than City or Madrid or that might just be my fan bias.

I'm not saying it's not worth it. Maybe it's better to go to a bigger club but he's not completely missing about my staying either. There is something to gain. Maybe to him, Bale's career would have been better off had he stayed at spurs (and I disagree with that FYI. I think Bale achieved a lot with his move)

romufc

Definitely not, but he's also never going to be ahead of multiple legends at this club. He also wasn't Arsenals talisman (because of injuries) and he only played 190 games for them and 86 for us. I get your point though, and there's no denying that it can work for Kane. Say we bought him this summer and he was the guy who took us to the premier league as our top scorer. Finally ending our premier league drought of course he'd be a hero.

Its no guarantee though. Sometimes, you spend your first year or two acclimating to the club and then he may not have the same incredible impact RVP had on us. Also, Man United are a little different than City or Madrid or that might just be my fan bias.

I'm not saying it's not worth it. Maybe it's better to go to a bigger club but he's not completely missing about my staying either. There is something to gain. Maybe to him, Bale's career would have been better off had he stayed at spurs (and I disagree with that FYI. I think Bale achieved a lot with his move)
I think regardless of if Kane stays or leaves, his status will remain at Spurs. Say he came to Manutd and won the league (perfect scenario), he would be part of our legend and still remain as Spurs legend because, I feel Spurs fans would like to see him win something to cement his place in history too.

Obviously, if he comes to us and doesn't win, then its a different scenario. It depends what motivates him, it seems being a one club man and PL top scorer is his motivation for the moment.

Bale could have been a legend but he will always be remembered by footballing fans for the Copa final goal and CL final goal.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
Would Totti have been bigger name had he moved to Real or Juventus and won a title or two, in process not becoming Roma's best player ever?

I'm hundred percent sure he wouldn't.

SAFMUTD

Its a really different case between Totti and Kane, Totti had offers from big clubs and he refused them. Kane didnt left for City 2 seasons ago because Levy wouldn't let him. Being forced to stay at a club isn't the same to stay because loyalty.

Like De Gea, he was one shitty fax machine away from fecking off to Madrid. I don't give those kind of players the "loyalty" bonus.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Its a really different case between Totti and Kane, Totti had offers from big clubs and he refused them. Kane didnt left for City 2 seasons ago because Levy wouldn't let him. Being forced to stay at a club isn't the same to stay because loyalty.

Like De Gea, he was one shitty fax machine away from fecking off to Madrid. I don't give those kind of players the "loyalty" bonus.
Did Totti waste his career?

Did Robson?

SAFMUTD

Did Totti waste his career?

Did Robson?
I dont think they did, I actually respect them. Totti could have gone to Madrid for what? be another star in the galacticos? another name between Beckham, Ronaldo, Zidane, Raul, etc? On the other hand he's a legend in Roma. Possibly their biggest idol in their whole history. I think that worths something.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
It would have been respectful if he didn't actually try to get out the 2 summers before.