Players missing for the start of the season?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It's 4 weeks today the first game of the season, assume the WC players will get 2 weeks off following their countries exit, not unreasonable to imagine they'll all be back for the first game
Holiday is supposed to be 3 weeks.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
ManUtd players' last day in world cup

Matic- June 27
Rojo - June 30
De Gea - july 1st
Lindelof - July 7
Fellaini - July 14
Lukaku - July 14
Lingard - July 14 -
Rashford - July 14
Young - July 14
Jones - July 14
Pogba - july 15

So only Pogba and Lukaku are sure starters, De Gea, Matic should be available for start of the season

Lam

Mou is experienced enough to see us through August. I feel Spurs will be outside top 10 by the end of August and will have a lot of catching up to do.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Leicester also have few players who will miss preseason, their most important players Vardy and Maguire for sure, also maybe Kasper Schmeichel.

Bestietom

We will miss a few for first game, but all should be available for 2nd game, away to Brighton..

Bestietom

I read somewhere recently that Matic will go for a Groin operation in January and will be out for 7/8 weeks. I can't remember where I read it, does anyone have any recollection about this.

Member 90887

Leicester also have few players who will miss preseason, their most important players Vardy and Maguire for sure, also maybe Kasper Schmeichel.
Yeah and without Mahrez ... the first match shouldn't be a problem for us, we have enough depth to manage winning it.

By the second match, we should have everyone, although, definitely not match fit for the England players, Pogba and Lukaku.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Holiday is supposed to be 3 weeks.
Indeed 'confirmed' that the players who went far into the WC will get 3 weeks off which I assume refers to Lukaku, Fellaini, Pogba and the England players. Not unrealistic imo to still see this side line up against Leicester

---------------De Gea---------------
Valencia--Bailly--Smalling--Shaw
----------------Matic----------------
-------???---------------Pogba-------
Mata----------Lukaku-------Sanchez

JB7

Indeed 'confirmed' that the players who went far into the WC will get 3 weeks off which I assume refers to Lukaku, Fellaini, Pogba and the England players. Not unrealistic imo to still see this side line up against Leicester

---------------De Gea---------------
Valencia--Bailly--Smalling--Shaw
----------------Matic----------------
-------???---------------Pogba-------
Mata----------Lukaku-------Sanchez
Fred.

Frank Grimes

-----------------------DDG----------------------
Dalot------Smalling-----Bailly------Shaw--
---------------Matic--Herrera---------------
---------------------Mata--------------------------
Valencia------------Sanchez--------------Martial

Wouldn't be surprised to see something like this for opening game.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Yeah I'm not sure, I think he'll be eased in

I actually think Pereira might start the season
:lol: Our £50m signing will be eased in while Pereira who had a stop start season for Valencia as a right winger in a 4-4-2 will start the season. Maybe you didn't think this through?

charlenefan

:lol: Our £50m signing will be eased in while Pereira who had a stop start season for Valencia as a right winger in a 4-4-2 will start the season. Maybe you didn't think this through?
Obviously depends on how his preseason goes smart arse but he'll certainly be more acclimatised to playing in England than Fred who may or may not still have an injury and definitely won't have had as full of a pre season as Pereira

Maybe it's you that didn't think this through

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Jones should be ok he barely played. But then again its probably a good thing if he's not playing.

Marnsky

Yeah I'm not sure, I think he'll be eased in

I actually think Pereira might start the season
How come everyone here seem to have forgotten Fellaini signed a lucrative 2 year deal. I guess we'll be seeing the big man a lot more in midfield...

charlenefan

How come everyone here seem to have forgotten Fellaini signed a lucrative 2 year deal. I guess we'll be seeing the big man a lot more in midfield...
Have you forgotten his last game in the World Cup was 3 days ago? He won't be ready for the start of the season and certainly isn't good enough that we need to force him into the side regardless

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
We'll sign Bale and will line up on opening day with:

------------------De Gea------------------
Valencia----Bailly----Maguire-----Shaw
----------Fred----Matic----Pogba---------
Bale------------Lukaku----------Sanchez
well if that is the team you play it'll be a good way to see you relegated on minus points

Marcky411

I expect everyone to be available for the first game of the season. I expect holidays to be cut short and if needed players to get a break between the first and second game, 9 days apart.

Robbo*

Rashford too. Think we'll start the season with Martial up top, Sanchez on the left and Mata on the right.
Not sure Rashford played enough minutes to be properly tired but will obviously need at least a couple of weeks doing nothing before he trains again.

sparx99

I still think we'll see 4-1-2-1-2 to start the season.

------------------De Gea------------------

Valencia----Bailly----Rojo/Smalling-----Shaw

Matic

Herrera Fred

Mata

Sanchez Martial

roseguy64

I expect everyone to be available for the first game of the season. I expect holidays to be cut short and if needed players to get a break between the first and second game, 9 days apart.
Why would we cut holidays short?

edgar allan

I wonder how many games until the " world cup hangover" excuse gets rolled out?
My guess is 3.

el3mel

De Gea
Valencia - Smalling - Bailly - Shaw
Herrera - Matic - Fred
Mata - Martial - Sanchez​

Doesn't look like a good team tbh but should at least beat Leicester at Old Trafford.

Midfield is devoid of any creativity and Mata/Valencia dreadful combo on the right.

Shaw and Sanchez can be interesting to see though and let's see how Martial will link with them as a striker.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Assuming we make no further signings, we’ll have

De Gea
Herrera - Matic - Fred
Mata - Martial - Sanchez
That’s a pretty decent team to be honest.
Not a bad side to be fair. I'd be worried about who's on the bench however.

De Gea
Herrera - Matic - Fred
Mata - Martial - Sanchez​

Doesn't look like a good team tbh but should at least beat Leicester at Old Trafford.

Midfield is devoid of any creativity and Mata/Valencia dreadful combo on the right.

Shaw and Sanchez can be interesting to see though and let's see how Martial will link with them as a striker.
We started last season with that combo & looked awesome for the first 5 games or so.

IrishRedDevil

Mourinho also sounded an ominous note in his final punditry appearance for Russia Today. "We cannot start the Premier League with our players that were in the World Cup, which is a shame for the most important club competition in Europe," he lamented.

"Three weeks [holiday], which I think is the minimum that their body and soul needs, and which is the minimum for them to return and think about football again. To bring them back before that would be, 'Okay, I have you for the first match of the season, but maybe I don't have you in three or four months.'"

Given Nemanja Matic exited the World Cup on June 27 and David de Gea on July 1, United have enough backbone in their spine for Leicester's Friday night visit. Feasibly, Mourinho could field an XI of De Gea, Antonio Valencia, Chris Smalling, Eric Bailly, Luke Shaw, Ander Herrera, Nemanja Matic, Andreas Pereira, Juan Mata, Alexis Sanchez, Anthony Martial. It could be worse.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-transfer-news-woodward-14915037

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Not a bad side to be fair. I'd be worried about who's on the bench however.
Off the top of my head:
Romero, Dalot, Tuanzebe, Darmian, Fosu-Mensah, McTominay, Pereira, youngsters.... Basically no center back depth, no midfield or attacking depth bar Pereira (who I'm not convinced Mourinho even likes).

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Off the top of my head:
Romero, Dalot, Tuanzebe, Darmian, Fosu-Mensah, McTominay, Pereira, youngsters.... Basically no center back depth, no midfield or attacking depth bar Pereira (who I'm not convinced Mourinho even likes).
That's my worry, basically all defensive players. Not exactly ideal if we're chasing a goal. I'll be interested to see if Pereira is half as good as some on here claim.

roseguy64

Jose won't start the first game of the season with kids. He will not take the risk to drop 3 points in the first game of the season at home.
Better to start the season off badly than risk the players not having adequate rest and then getting injured.

Canagel

If we don't sign anymore players and with nobody from the world cup ready for Leicester then team should be:

DDG
Valencia Smalling Bailly Shaw
Matic
A Periera Fred
Mata Martial Sanchez

If we get RW and LB then Shaw and Mata drop out. Valencia and Smalling shouldn't be starting either but we haven't got to the stage of replacing those two. We are so behind that right now the urgent positions we must upgrade are LB and RW.​

Last edited:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Aren't they only gone for 3 weeks. Everyone will be back for the start of the season. Some will just be short of fitness but I expect one or two will play if they have to. You've got more chance of getting away with playing non match fit players in the opening game of the season than you have 2-3 weeks in when some opposition teams are fully up to speed.

In any case, Jose will allay fears at his press conference later, with a reassuring moan about how he will have to make do without everyone and that it makes it impossible to expect us to win.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Aren't they only gone for 3 weeks. Everyone will be back for the start of the season. Some will just be short of fitness but I expect one or two will play if they have to. You've got more chance of getting away with playing non match fit players in the opening game of the season than you have 2-3 weeks in when some opposition teams are fully up to speed.

In any case, Jose will allay fears at his press conference later, with a reassuring moan about how he will have to make do without everyone and that it makes it impossible to expect us to win.
He basically said in an interview after the World Cup that all those that made it to the last weekend would miss the opening probably 2 league games. Guessing for the 2nd at least they'd be part of the squad just not starting.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He won’t do without his beloved Lukaku or Fellaini for any longer than he has to don’t worry.

RedDevil@84

De Gea
Valencia Smalling Bailly Shaw
Matic Herrera Fred
Mata Martial Sanchez