Players to bin - April 2018 edition

I'd like to see Darmian, Blind, Smalling, Shaw, and Fellaini moved on. Young and Valencia can still be useful to us for a year or two. Sign two full backs, a centre back and a centre mid.

We need to make a number of changes over the next few months.

tjb

I would not bin Pogba, but i think its time to accept that he's not the midfield dynamo we need, he's a creative advanced playmaker, and unlike a dejected fabregas post barcelona, is not willing to play that role...therefore we should plan accordingly. In addition we should bin one of our centre backs and darmian and shaw. I would sign a player in 3 of out back 4 spots. I would also sign a cm to partner matic and push pogba up the pitch (or slightly higher in benitiz gerrard 09 position). Finally i might sell martial and use that money to sign a capable right winger and the remainder for a back up striker to lukaku if possible, as rashford scares me.

Laphroaig

Have to stay:
DDG
Smalling
Young
Valencia
Herrera
Lingard
Rashford
Matic
Lukaku
McTominay

Don't care:
Pogba
Martial
Jones

Member 5225

Have to stay:
DDG
Smalling
Young
Valencia
Herrera
Lingard
Rashford
Matic
Lukaku
McTominay

Don't care:
Pogba
Martial
Jones
Nah - Smalling, Valencia, Young and probably even Herrera aren't indispensible IMO

cyril C

I would not bin Pogba, but i think its time to accept that he's not the midfield dynamo we need, he's a creative advanced playmaker, and unlike a dejected fabregas post barcelona, is not willing to play that role...therefore we should plan accordingly. In addition we should bin one of our centre backs and darmian and shaw. I would sign a player in 3 of out back 4 spots. I would also sign a cm to partner matic and push pogba up the pitch (or slightly higher in benitiz gerrard 09 position). Finally i might sell martial and use that money to sign a capable right winger and the remainder for a back up striker to lukaku if possible, as rashford scares me.
If Pogba doesn't fancy 4231 then so be it, get a proper CMF who can. For argument sake let's say Kroos. Such that in games against top 8 clubs, play 433 and Pogba starts. Against bottom 12, play 4231 and rotate between Kroos, Matic and Herrera.

tjb

If Pogba doesn't fancy 4231 then so be it, get a proper CMF who can. For argument sake let's say Kroos. Such that in games against top 8 clubs, play 433 and Pogba starts. Against bottom 12, play 4231 and rotate between Kroos, Matic and Herrera.
I would agree with that. Personally i would like a pivot that looks a little bit like tottenhams midfield, or something akin to Bayern 13. So a more combative midfield dynamo like schweinsteiger used to be. Cause i really fo not believe that a manager as midfield conscious as mourinho is, would be happy with constantly being outworked in midfield

Son Of Sam

Have to stay:
DDG
Smalling
Young
Valencia
Herrera
Lingard
Rashford
Matic
Lukaku
McTominay

Don't care:
Pogba
Martial
Jones
Smalling to stay?

Are you a masochist? One of the reasons we are terribly poor starts from Smalling not passing the ball forward. The amount of pressure he puts on De Gea with his ridiculous backwards passing screws up our rhythm.

Smalling is a terrible defender. He’s only decent in 1 v 1 situation. Asides that, I couldn’t tell you his usefulness. How we deteriorated from Bruce/Stam/Rio/Vidic to Smalling/Jones is the 8th wonder of the world.

We are like Lewis Hamilton who’s won plenty of gongs with Mercedes/McLaren....then all of a sudden, we want to replicate the achievements with driving a picanto. How is that even possible? The earlier we get rid of Smalling, the better for the squad.

Valencia/Young are good enough to be backups. They may lack the talents but their desire is never in question. Smalling lacks both.

Loublaze

ATLien
Smalling and De Gea should definitely stay when it comes to our defense. Fellaini, Darmian, Valencia, Mata, Jones and Rojo (doubt any of our CBs are leaving though) can all leave. I'd hold on to Shaw for another season but it he looks good as gone, Blind as well. Wouldn't care if Pereira left as he doesn't seem interested in English football or fighting for a place.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Smalling to stay?

Are you a masochist? One of the reasons we are terribly poor starts from Smalling not passing the ball forward. The amount of pressure he puts on De Gea with his ridiculous backwards passing screws up our rhythm.

Smalling is a terrible defender. He’s only decent in 1 v 1 situation. Asides that, I couldn’t tell you his usefulness. How we deteriorated from Bruce/Stam/Rio/Vidic to Smalling/Jones is the 8th wonder of the world.

We are like Lewis Hamilton who’s won plenty of gongs with Mercedes/McLaren....then all of a sudden, we want to replicate the achievements with driving a picanto. How is that even possible? The earlier we get rid of Smalling, the better for the squad.
Mint. :lol:

Ashley R1+O

Smalling to stay?

Valencia/Young are good enough to be backups. They may lack the talents but their desire is never in question. Smalling lacks both.
What an absolutely brown trout of a post. Smalling has been by some distance our best defender for four years now and one of the best comfortably in the league. The complete and utter state of some of our fans is just mind bending.

Son Of Sam

What an absolutely brown trout of a post. Smalling has been by some distance our best defender for four years now and one of the best comfortably in the league. The complete and utter state of some of our fans is just mind bending.
The standard in this place has dropped. Smalling is one of the best comfortably in the league yet he’s never appeared in the PFA team of the season.

Smalling is one of the worst defenders I know. He’s the inferior version of Harry Maguire. I can name 15 CBs in this league that are heads & shoulders above Chris Smalling. He had a purple patch under LVG in circa 2015 and he quickly reverted to type(mediocrity).

Any club with the ambition to win the league cannot have Smalling in the defence. We are lucky we have a magician like De Gea in the defence, otherwise we would be conceding 70 league goals per season with the ilk of Smalling in the defence.

Loublaze

ATLien
The standard in this place has dropped. Smalling is one of the best comfortably in the league yet he’s never appeared in the PFA team of the season.

Smalling is one of the worst defenders I know. He’s the inferior version of Harry Maguire. I can name 15 CBs in this league that are heads & shoulders above Chris Smalling. He had a purple patch under LVG in circa 2015 and he quickly reverted to type(mediocrity).

Any club with the ambition to win the league cannot have Smalling in the defence. We are lucky we have a magician like De Gea in the defence, otherwise we would be conceding 70 league goals per season with the ilk of Smalling in the defence.
The last time an outfield United player made the PFA team was in Fergie's last season so I guess the 'mediocrity' is evenly spread right? If Maguire is so good why hasn't a top 6 club picked him up yet at the age of 25? How many medals has Maguire won and how many cup finals has he played in? Smalling kept Kane and Salah in his pocket twice each this season and you know those two have terrorized many great defenses. Vardy mentioned Smalling as the toughest CB he's faced in the PL. He is comfortably one of the best CBs in the league and he's criminally underrated because he's technically inferior on the ball. As an out and out defender not many are better than him in the PL.

Last edited:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Smalling is good as a third choice center back. Jones is nice for the 15-20 games he gives per season.

The ones that should move on for the sake of their own careers:

1. Darmian
2. Blind
3. Mata
4. Fellaini
5. Shaw

I don't know what to say about Martial and Rashford, both are immensely talented and looked ready to take off until Jose arrived, now they have both stalled dangerously.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Players who should leave regardless of manager:
  • Darmian
  • Fellaini
  • Blind
  • Shaw
  • Rojo
  • Mata
Players who Mourinho will probably never get the most out of and would be better off under different managers
  • Martial
  • Rashford
  • Pogba
Players who are good enough to be squad players but nothing more next season (if all above are gone):
  • Lingard
  • Lindelof
  • Young
  • Valencia
  • Herrera (borderline starter/squaddie. Last season was POTS, this season has occasional great performances. Should always play in big games)
Players who are good enough to be automatic starters when fit and in form FOR MOURINHO:
  • De Gea
  • Matic
  • Smalling/Jones/Bailly (they're good players but always injured)
  • Lukaku (isn't the best striker but he is fine and even still would improve with better manager, but does fine with Mou too)

Pogba will stay, but won't ever reach his best under Mourinho. Same with Rashford, and if Martial stays, then same. All 3 would improve massively under more attacking managers. We need new fullbacks but Young/Valencia are fine as squad members, just old now. Matic is good. Need more creativity there though. Lukaku is good. None of the wingers we have are very suited to Mourinho, though I don't think he ever gets the best out of any wide player. Especially not the ones we have. It'd honestly be much better for us long term to replace Mourinho asap but he's not going anywhere anytime soon.
Something like this I'd imagine is what Mourinho wants for his side after this summer. It's good on paper but it'd be nothing more then just functional on the pitch. Perisic in as a placeholder, I have no idea who we'll even go for as wingers but we need one especially as martial is gonna leave, while Lingard won't ever be much more than a squad player.
De Gea
??? Bailly Smalling Sandro
Matic
Perisic Fred Pogba Sanchez
Lukaku

GM K

I'd like to see Darmian, Blind, Smalling, Shaw, and Fellaini moved on. Young and Valencia can still be useful to us for a year or two. Sign two full backs, a centre back and a centre mid.

We need to make a number of changes over the next few months.
I have been one of the critics of Smalling in the last two seasons but I have to admit that he has been winning me over with his recent performances. He's defending pretty well and he's adding aggressive forward runs to his game. That's why he has nicked a few important goals lately. I just wish he can improve with the ball at his feet. At the moment, if we had to sell one central defender, It wouldn't be Smalling for me.